The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2017, 12:58 AM   #1
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
DSSD Questions

Hey Guys,

As of lately been considering a DSSD or D-Blue to replace my YM (big jump in size, I know), so I have some questions for those who really know this watch. I'll be trying one on this weekend on my AD to see how it goes.

1) I have a 6.75 inch wrist, not a big guy, 5'6" and 160 lbs, but I have an athletic build. Would you guys think this watch is too big for me?

2) Since I would be my one and only, I want something that could easily fly under the radar, I know the DSSD is the choice here but how about the d-blue? could it fly under the radar with the colored dial?

3) Has anyone got this as a OWG? How's the comfort for daily wear? I'm more of a casual guy, no suits, my business is very casual so no worries here.

4) Last but not least, which one should I go for?

Thanks!

P.S. Enabling photos are welcomed!!

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:10 AM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
If you're short sleeved (or very loose cuffed, long sleeves) most of the time....I'd say it's a great one and only watch.
I had one for a long time but in a rotation, and loved this watch. I would DEFINITELY put this on your wrist before buying and really study it at all angles in the mirror. Straight on shots you see here look great for the most part, but don't do the height on the wrist any justice. This could be a make or break part of the decision.
As far as black vs blue....I had both and would side with blue every time. Black is classic, and looks great, but the blue dial is outstanding! Although it does look black in a lot of lighting situations.
I'm 5'10, 150, 6.5 inch wrist. An athletic build also.
Some pics that may help.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3641.jpg (83.7 KB, 406 views)
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:11 AM   #3
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3692.jpg (86.4 KB, 406 views)
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:16 AM   #4
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
You get used to anything. It's pretty big but definitely not over the top. I can definitely see as one watch. I wear mine as part of rotation but I know folks that wear as one and only. D blue is very subtle IRL and only very obvious in bright lights. That said, I love the matte dial of the all black and is about 3-4K cheaper than the blue.

Pics worth 1000 words...

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:16 AM   #5
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
1) not too big
2) D-blue flies under radar easily the dial is magnificent, changes so much in all light situations and is a joy to look at, but from a distance its minor. Can any 44mm watch fly under the radar? How watch savvy is your surrounding?
3) I have them in the rotation but I only rotate 2-3 times a year. Glidelock is king, it takes a little getting used to as its very top heavy. Once that period is over its fantastic. You feel it's presence but I see that as a good thing as it makes you look at it ;)
4)Love the D-blue if price is no issue I think the dial really adds the wow factor looking at it x amount of times a day. Value for $ I think the DSSD is a amazing deal.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:24 AM   #6
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I have 6.75-7 inch wrists, 5-8 medium build. Love my DSSD-blue. It is very comfy especially with the glide lock. Take the divers extension out and it will be super comfortable. In the end, there's only one person who can tell you if it's too big out not, YOU. Everyone has different styles and tastes. Some think it's too big, others don't. Compared to some of the other monstrosities on the market, DSSD is small. It's an awesome piece, a technical marvel by Rolex, and that dial (blue) makes me giddy every time I look at it.

I would go with the blue for two reasons. As I stated, the dial is amazing and very unique in the world of Rolex. Also, if you decide the DSSD is too big for you and go to flip it, in theory, you should be able to get more of your money back with the blue over the black.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:25 AM   #7
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The watch is not too big, but it is still very big. Check it out in front of a mirror..
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:46 AM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I have both dial variants.
The black bought in 2011 is my daily wearer with the D-blue intended as being reserved for special occasions as it was given to me as a wedding gift from my lovely new wife.

In terms of Rolex ownership I consider myself to currently be a one watch person as both are obviously sized to fit the exact same way, but I have enough variety between the two with the black being generally regarded as a classic look and the D-blue mixing it up and spicing things up a notch or two.

My dress code is very similar, but I suspect that I probably have the occasion to dress up more.
I have absolutely no problems with fitting the watch under the cuff of a long sleeved dress shirt.

As for a watch that has the capability of flying under the radar I would say the DSSD in any flavour is not going to fit that criteria at all, especially as you are smaller than myself.
It's a big watch and I well and truly know it as it's probably as big as I could reasonably go.
I wear it accordingly with that in mind, so one could say I flaunt it a little where reasonable as there's no point kidding myself in trying to hide it.

You need to be the final arbiter on suitability for you, so I say simply get the watch and try it.
It took me a fair while to fully come to terms with the size and weight of it now anything else seems insignificant on my wrist.
All of my other Rolex watches are gone as a result because I wasn't wearing them any more.

Hope this helps
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:48 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
I have 6.75-7 inch wrists, 5-8 medium build. Love my DSSD-blue. It is very comfy especially with the glide lock. Take the divers extension out and it will be super comfortable. In the end, there's only one person who can tell you if it's too big out not, YOU. Everyone has different styles and tastes. Some think it's too big, others don't. Compared to some of the other monstrosities on the market, DSSD is small. It's an awesome piece, a technical marvel by Rolex, and that dial (blue) makes me giddy every time I look at it.

I would go with the blue for two reasons. As I stated, the dial is amazing and very unique in the world of Rolex. Also, if you decide the DSSD is too big for you and go to flip it, in theory, you should be able to get more of your money back with the blue over the black.
Alternately he could get the black at a good price from a trusted seller.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:49 AM   #10
armen34
"TRF" Member

D-blue is actually small when compared to AP 42 or 44.
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:49 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I've got a 6.5" wrist. I much prefer the 116600 and 126600.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:58 AM   #12
Goin2drt
Banned

I just joined the crowd.

I have a 7" wrist and I do not find it too big. It is super comfortable but you know it is there as it is a hefty watch.

Funny about flying under the radar. Many said you will get all kinds of attention, I have received none and quite frankly more comments when I wear my Hulk.

Lastly I am going to be 100% honest here. As much as I love this watch and I have not taken it off since I purchased it, I WOULD NOT have this as my only watch if I could only have one.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:20 AM   #13
Jay-Yoo
"TRF" Member

I'm about your size. It's not big at all and It feels really nice and comfy on my wrist.

나의 SM-N910K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
Jay-Yoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:18 AM   #14
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Hey Guys,

As of lately been considering a DSSD or D-Blue to replace my YM (big jump in size, I know), so I have some questions for those who really know this watch. I'll be trying one on this weekend on my AD to see how it goes.

1) I have a 6.75 inch wrist, not a big guy, 5'6" and 160 lbs, but I have an athletic build. Would you guys think this watch is too big for me?

2) Since I would be my one and only, I want something that could easily fly under the radar, I know the DSSD is the choice here but how about the d-blue? could it fly under the radar with the colored dial?

3) Has anyone got this as a OWG? How's the comfort for daily wear? I'm more of a casual guy, no suits, my business is very casual so no worries here.

4) Last but not least, which one should I go for?

Thanks!

P.S. Enabling photos are welcomed!!
I'm 5'9", 175, 6.5 wrist, medium build, and have the D Blue. It's a beautiful chunk of watch, but you're always aware that it's there. It's not my only Rolex, so it gets rotated.

To answer your questions:

1) I've seen the DSSD on smaller framed younger men, and it still looks fine to me.

2) From a foot away you can't really tell the difference between black and deep blue face. It's just not that big a deal.

3) It's fine for daily, and you get used to the heft quickly. Is it as comfortable as a datejust? No. But it's fine.

4) Depending on your $$$ situation, the used black DSSD's are a great value; 7500 or so USD is a good price. Having to pay an additional 4K for a D blue is a high premium. The D Blue does give the watch some personality. Just depends on how much cash you want to part with. If you had to have D Blue wait another year or so, as used ones will be lower in price.

Last edited by RolexguyinSF; 26 May 2017 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake!
RolexguyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:33 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
OP, you have some excellent advice to consider as above.

I'm 6'2" 175 Lbs with 7" flat wrists. The DBlue does not wear too large IMO, but as stated above, it has heft and you will notice the thickness.

I would not have it as a one and only simply because I'm not a one watch guy

Now moving on to the dial ... there's no comparison and in IMHO the Blue dial is worth every penny! I tried the black dial many times since the initial release and it just never did anything for me. Then one day while at my local AD I saw the DBlue and I bought it on the spot - it blew me away.

You have to decide if its right for you, but I will say its one incredible piece of engineering
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dblue4.jpg (96.2 KB, 326 views)
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:16 AM   #16
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexguyinSF View Post
If you had to have D Blue wait another year or so, as used ones will be lower in price.
If a D-Blue ever came into the used arena with a discount. I would snatch that up faster than the speed of light.

One will never ever ever ever......ever find a discounted used D-Blue.

I am almost tempted to say that a D-Blue may be more rare than a SS Daytona. Just not as popular.

(Waits for hail of rocks).
JasonKrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:32 AM   #17
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
7.5 wrist and to me it is like strapping a brick on. Absolutely hated that watch.
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:45 AM   #18
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
I wear mine daily. It is very comfortable........no complaints here.

The difference between what you can buy the classic black dial for versus the d-blue dial is about $3000 in my market though. Not worth it for very little color and personally I dislike the look.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:46 AM   #19
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Average built, 175lbs at 5.7' with 6.75" wrist I don't feel it's big or heavy. It got wrist presence but not as much as PAM imho. It's still fly under the radar.

With Rubber B,

G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:46 PM   #20
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
I wore a DSSD as a daily wearer for 5 straight years. I never had issues with the weight and the glide lock on the bracelet always helped with small adjustments during the day due to expansion from hot or cold temps. I was very conscious of wearing mine, so it had no dings, but trust me, this watch will get plenty as it is big and sticks out. Lot's of desk dive dings.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:08 PM   #21
Jay-Yoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
I wore a DSSD as a daily wearer for 5 straight years. I never had issues with the weight and the glide lock on the bracelet always helped with small adjustments during the day due to expansion from hot or cold temps. I was very conscious of wearing mine, so it had no dings, but trust me, this watch will get plenty as it is big and sticks out. Lot's of desk dive dings.
desk dive dings lol

Old 26 May 2017, 03:36 PM   #22
Huntsman
"TRF" Member

Damn it's so difficult to get dssd blue in Singapore AD. Waiting list goes on forever. On grey sellers , need to scout and stock scarce. But the black dial every AD sure to have.
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:53 PM   #23
Jay-Yoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traf View Post
You get used to anything. It's pretty big but definitely not over the top. I can definitely see as one watch. I wear mine as part of rotation but I know folks that wear as one and only. D blue is very subtle IRL and only very obvious in bright lights. That said, I love the matte dial of the all black and is about 3-4K cheaper than the blue.

Pics worth 1000 words...

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
The sapphire crystal on your dssd looks different from others & mine. Why is it? looks almost like beveled edge.

Old 26 May 2017, 04:01 PM   #24
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I'm 5'13" and 195 lbs with a 7.25" wrist. It's a big watch but with the diver's extension link out, it's surprisingly comfortable. I'm not sure I could live with mine as a one and only and would probably go with a Sub instead.

Try it on first and see what it looks like; if the lugs don't overhang your wrist then it's just down to how you feel and how loud it sings. Try and have some photographs taken from about six feet away and that'll give you an idea of what it looks like in the real world. Close up wrist-shots make it look like you could park stealth bombers on it.

if you have the choice, most definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, go D-Blue. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0834.jpg (123.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (109.7 KB, 230 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 04:46 PM   #25
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!

Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:01 PM   #26
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I personally don't own a DSSD but I have tried one on (7.25'' wrist, athletic build.) I think they are WAY too thick and they are not my cup of tea (sorry not much help, just voicing my opinion.)

I thought you loved your YM, what made you want to change it up? Good luck making your choice, if you really want it I hope you end up loving it
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:18 PM   #27
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

When the DSSD was first released several years ago (I think it was 2008 or 2009), it was met with a great deal of derision - critics thought it was too thick and the bracelet too thin, thus giving the watch an unbalanced look. Because it was deemed unpopular and there was no rush for it, ADs (in Singapore at least) sold the watch for slightly less than the list price (I got mine from an AD for about 8% off).

Which is a roundabout way of saying this watch is not for everyone, notwithstanding its apparent popularity today. It is thick, heavy and yes, I think there is some merit to the claim that it is "unbalanced''. Best to try it on first.

As for black versus blue, opinions vary so you'll have to choose based on which one looks better to you.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:18 PM   #28
Huntsman
"TRF" Member

And now for the blue one, it's not available with the ADS. But with grey sellers still have chance to get one if lucky. But then again, is it really that so critical to get it at the AD compare to getting it with the grey sellers. Does it make much difference?
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:42 PM   #29
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
And now for the blue one, it's not available with the ADS. But with grey sellers still have chance to get one if lucky. But then again, is it really that so critical to get it at the AD compare to getting it with the grey sellers. Does it make much difference?
Quite a few of the greys at Far East Plaza usually have a D-Blue kicking around somewhere. I've seen several but not sure if I'd buy from them though.

I prefer to buy from an AD but to each his own.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:23 PM   #30
Lark
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post
7.5 wrist and to me it is like strapping a brick on. Absolutely hated that watch.

I'd have to agree. I'm a pretty hefty guy with a 7 3/4" wrist and tried one on several times. It just looked clunky. As beautiful as it looks I can't get past the feeling it's a Rolex engineering project that went too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote