The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2017, 03:26 AM   #61
jwill051
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116619
Keep the BLNR
jwill051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:35 AM   #62
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I wouldn't call it effiminant at all. Maybe unisex a bit and it looks great on either sex. I do find the lugs more balanced with the braclet then the fat lugs of the newer subs/gmt that still bug me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
Have them both. Blnr and white dial. I also had the black dial from August until late last year.

Daytona is a hype machine.

Try it on before you sell your blnr. The Daytona looks dainty and sort of effeminate. Which sucks because the dial is beautiful. The lugs are too svelte, it sits too flat to the wrist, and I wouldn't be surprised if the true measurement was 38mm. There is no way that my subs, gmt, etc., and the Daytona are the same diameter. I think it's because of the lugs and bezel that it looks so much smaller than everything else in the sports lineup.

Anyway, you may get inundated with pictures with close up pictures of Daytonas that make it look like it has significant wrist presence.

I'll save you some suspense ... it doesn't. It looks small on the wrist. Close up pics under cuffs, holding the steering wheels of exotic cars, and other expertly posed and manly themed pics, notwithstanding

Don't make the same mistake I did. Wear it first. Google "Daytona too small" and check out the myriad threads about people getting Daytonas only later to find out that it looks like a women's watch that they could never get used to.

And "women's watch" isn't my choice of words. I counted four or five different instances on these forums that that's the term that was used to characterize it.

Even one of the primary Daytona advocates on this forum has a thread from 2014 saying that it wears small and they wouldn't be a fan if not for the history.

Again, everyone else is going to tell you that its the most happening thing since sex and while I am under no delusion that my lonely post will balance out the parade of adulation that the watch receives, hopefully it will at least get you thinking enough to research outside the hype.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:41 AM   #63
richard371
"TRF" Member

When it comes to useful functions that doesn't mean much anymore. Many of us wear the watch for the look etc. if I wanted the most function and useful watch I'd wear my apple more. I even find myself pulling out my iPhone to check the time forgetting I have a watch on sometimes.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:44 AM   #64
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
BLNR. White Daytona looks like a Tag Heuer F1

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 04:06 AM   #65
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC, 16710B
BLNR or White Daytona C???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
BLNR. White Daytona looks like a Tag Heuer F1

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You are completely right--I never realized how much they look alike! I'm positing my DaytonaC in the FS soon and pocket all that extra $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rpl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 04:18 AM   #66
richard371
"TRF" Member

They look nothing alike to me. Yes they both have black bezels and panda like dials. So does a Paul Newman.

Maybe you were being sarcastic hehe.
Old 26 May 2017, 04:28 AM   #67
racer24
Banned

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
passing on the DayC is not an option. passing on is like you throw away few thousand $. so doesn't matter if you like it or not, when you get the call, go buy the watch. then, after you get the watch, you can decide if you want to keep them both or sell one of them. both are easy sells.
racer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 04:30 AM   #68
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
They look nothing alike to me. Yes they both have black bezels and panda like dials. So does a Paul Newman.

Maybe you were being sarcastic hehe.
I was
Old 26 May 2017, 04:50 AM   #69
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Have them both. Blnr and white dial. I also had the black dial from August until late last year.

Daytona is a hype machine.

Try it on before you sell your blnr. The Daytona looks dainty and sort of effeminate. Which sucks because the dial is beautiful. The lugs are too svelte, it sits too flat to the wrist, and I wouldn't be surprised if the true measurement was 38mm. There is no way that my subs, gmt, etc., and the Daytona are the same diameter. I think it's because of the lugs and bezel that it looks so much smaller than everything else in the sports lineup.

Anyway, you may get inundated with pictures with close up pictures of Daytonas that make it look like it has significant wrist presence.

I'll save you some suspense ... it doesn't. It looks small on the wrist. Close up pics under cuffs, holding the steering wheels of exotic cars, and other expertly posed and manly themed pics, notwithstanding

Don't make the same mistake I did. Wear it first. Google "Daytona too small" and check out the myriad threads about people getting Daytonas only later to find out that it looks like a women's watch that they could never get used to.

And "women's watch" isn't my choice of words. I counted four or five different instances on these forums that that's the term that was used to characterize it.

Even one of the primary Daytona advocates on this forum has a thread from 2014 saying that it wears small and they wouldn't be a fan if not for the history.

Again, everyone else is going to tell you that its the most happening thing since sex and while I am under no delusion that my lonely post will balance out the parade of adulation that the watch receives, hopefully it will at least get you thinking enough to research outside the hype.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

You're right the SS Daytona is closer to 38.5 mm

The WG, RG, Platinum and Oysterflex cases run larger though with different case designs altogether.

Though I do feel the SS Daytona, even at 38.5 mm (at the case), wears slightly bigger than that when you take the chronograph pushers into account.

I think it looks great on my 7.5 inch wrist, but it's not my only watch. Just one of several in my daily Rolex rotation though, so I can't say how I'd feel if it was just the SS Daytona alone.

I tend to think that as a one and only watch, the SS Daytona may be a little too much "polish" to be as versatile as a Sub or GMT Master.

IMO it's a great 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Rolex though and it's great for the occasion when you want or need a slimmer watch.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:09 AM   #70
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Try it on before you sell your blnr. The lugs are too svelte, it sits too flat to the wrist, and I wouldn't be surprised if the true measurement was 38mm. There is no way that my subs, gmt, etc., and the Daytona are the same diameter. I think it's because of the lugs and bezel that it looks so much smaller than everything else in the sports lineup.

Stop.

It's as wide as my Submariner and has more wrist presence because of the crown guards and pushers and the outwards-sloping bezel. The lugs taper towards the bracelet instead of looking boxy. It doesn't feel small or dainty at all, that's just nonsense.

Besides the obvious- wrist jewelry is very subjective and varies greatly from person to person- there is something else in the equation and that is context.

If you're someone used to one of the massive oversized watches that were all the rage a few years ago and then slip into a Daytona, of course it's going to feel small. No different than when I slip out of my Daytona and into my Explorer 1016 or Datejust 1603. No different than when you rent a Land Rover and come home to your 3 Series.

You should have stopped your post with "try it on". That's good advice. To suggest that the members of Daytona Nation are living with effeminate timepieces because we've been sucked into some vortex of savvy marketing is not right. Perhaps that's your experience. It's not ours.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:18 AM   #71
Kristaps6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurizzle View Post
It seems we are witnessing the BLNR standing the test of time. It didn't just come out and isn't the latest and greatest, and yet still we talk about it in the same breath as watches with higher panache and cost. It definitely punches way above its weight class and for this reason among many others, it's special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Couldn't agree more.

And, I think if it were the latest and greatest the demand would be even greater. It's a natural tendency for us to desire more what is in shorter supply.

Kristaps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:23 AM   #72
richard371
"TRF" Member

Agreed. I was into big watches for a few years and have sold them off. Can't even give my dsotm away. I think the big watch trend is dying off a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post
Stop.

It's as wide as my Submariner and has more wrist presence because of the crown guards and pushers and the outwards-sloping bezel. The lugs taper towards the bracelet instead of looking boxy. It doesn't feel small or dainty at all, that's just nonsense.

Besides the obvious- wrist jewelry is very subjective and varies greatly from person to person- there is something else in the equation and that is context.

If you're someone used to one of the massive oversized watches that were all the rage a few years ago and then slip into a Daytona, of course it's going to feel small. No different than when I slip out of my Daytona and into my Explorer 1016 or Datejust 1603. No different than when you rent a Land Rover and come home to your 3 Series.

You should have stopped your post with "try it on". That's good advice. To suggest that the members of Daytona Nation are living with effeminate timepieces because we've been sucked into some vortex of savvy marketing is not right. Perhaps that's your experience. It's not ours.
Old 26 May 2017, 06:24 AM   #73
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stop.

Well said

Old 26 May 2017, 06:29 AM   #74
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Stop.

^^^^ Well said

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:09 AM   #75
Chrono_lando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Borrow (credit card, whatever) the money to buy the Daytona, ship it to your sister in Alabama to save on sales tax, then sell the Daytona at a nice profit.

In other words, keep the BLNR.

Can Rolex find out that I flipped it (what I've heard). Hurting my relationship with the AD?

Chrono_lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:12 AM   #76
Chrono_lando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer24 View Post
passing on the DayC is not an option. passing on is like you throw away few thousand $. so doesn't matter if you like it or not, when you get the call, go buy the watch. then, after you get the watch, you can decide if you want to keep them both or sell one of them. both are easy sells.

Will it hurt the AD with Rolex? I hear Rolex can find out if people flip. Which hurts the AD.

Old 26 May 2017, 07:15 AM   #77
Chrono_lando
"TRF" Member

Does flipping the Daytona get back to Rolex which then hurts the AD for selling it to me? Causing a bad relationship with the AD?

Old 26 May 2017, 08:21 AM   #78
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stop.

Actually, my experience and the experience of four or five others who followed my post.

And of the twenty or so "why does the Daytona look so small," "is the Daytona a woman's watch" type posts (paraphrasing) that you can find with a simple google search.

The difference between my post and yours was that I was comfortable giving the contrarian opinion because I figured that everyone who posted in this thread would endlessly compliment that 116500 and frankly I didn't feel that that was representative of everyone's ownership experience.

I spoke for myself and told op to do research. You're trying to speak for the entire Daytonac wearing world and that is where you err.

The watch is dainty and effeminate, in its wear characteristics. That is my opinion. But guess what, it's the opinion of hundreds of others on these very forums and other forums - as evidenced by the myriad posts about it that you can find with a simple google search.

Im sorry that you weren't prepared to open a Daytona thread and read an opinion that didn't contain copious amounts of salivation over it.

Not me bro.

If you want that, read the umpteen numbers of those that have existed here for the better part of fifteen months. Thankfully this board is awesome and diverse and tolerant enough to stand opinions that flow contrary to the echo chamber.

And that's whereabouts you'll find me.

I'll tell it like it is. Don't like it, skip over my posts. No harm, no foul.

The watch isn't that great. I've told you why it isn't. It's effeminate in my opinion. I have a 7.25 wrist. And it's really really small and dainty. Very feminine, in fact. That's not a knock on anyone; it's an observation about the watch's architecture. I like the watch aesthetically - specifically the dial and the fit and finish. Remember, I own it. Actually, I've owned both dials. And I was able to get a third for someone about seven months ago. Doubt me, pm me and I'll send you pics. I was one of the first to get it in May last year (black dial). I had the white dial by August. All at retail as a preferred customer. Don't believe me, check my pics and posts in the "116500 owners thread" from last year May.

So I'm not someone just projecting my frustration because I really want it but can't obtain one. I'm a very early owner and the watch is middling at best all things considered.

Sorry that doesn't comport with your Daytona ownership experience. Again, nothing against you and I'll respect your opinion. Just don't marginalize mine.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:30 AM   #79
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Agreed. I was into big watches for a few years and have sold them off. Can't even give my dsotm away. I think the big watch trend is dying off a bit.
Presents a false choice.

I hate big watches. Loathe them, in fact.

I've never owned a watch over 42mm.

The problem with the Daytona is not one unique to those who like to wear wall clocks on their wrist. I like 40mm pieces. Every watch that I own, aside from my Speedmaster pro, is 40mm.

The problem with the Daytona is that, in my opinion, and the opinion of a lot of other people, it wears waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small.

Simple as that. Thats why I think that the Speedy Pro is the quintessential chronograph. It dwarfs the Daytona to me - because of the wear characteristics. It wears exceptionally well.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:31 AM   #80
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Actually, my experience and the experience of four or five others who followed my post.

And of the twenty or so "why does the Daytona look so small," "is the Daytona a woman's watch" type posts (paraphrasing) that you can find with a simple google search.

The difference between my post and yours was that I was comfortable giving the contrarian opinion because I figured that everyone who posted in this thread would endlessly compliment that 116500 and frankly I didn't feel that that was representative of everyone's ownership experience.

I spoke for myself and told op to do research. You're trying to speak for the entire Daytonac wearing world and that is where you err.

The watch is dainty and effeminate, in its wear characteristics. That is my opinion. But guess what, it's the opinion of hundreds of others on these very forums and other forums - as evidenced by the myriad posts about it that you can find with a simple google search.

Im sorry that you weren't prepared to open a Daytona thread and read an opinion that didn't contain copious amounts of salivation over it.

Not me bro.

If you want that, read the umpteen numbers of those that have existed here for the better part of fifteen months. Thankfully this board is awesome and diverse and tolerant enough to stand opinions that flow contrary to the echo chamber.

And that's whereabouts you'll find me.

I'll tell it like it is. Don't like it, skip over my posts. No harm, no foul.

The watch isn't that great. I've told you why it isn't. It's effeminate in my opinion. I have a 7.25 wrist. And it's really really small and dainty. Very feminine, in fact. That's not a knock on anyone; it's an observation about the watch's architecture. I like the watch aesthetically - specifically the dial and the fit and finish. Remember, I own it. Actually, I've owned both dials. And I was able to get a third for someone about seven months ago. Doubt me, pm me and I'll send you pics. I was one of the first to get it in May last year (black dial). I had the white dial by August. All at retail as a preferred customer. Don't believe me, check my pics and posts in the "116500 owners thread" from last year May.

So I'm not someone just projecting my frustration because I really want it but can't obtain one. I'm a very early owner and the watch is middling at best all things considered.

Sorry that doesn't comport with your Daytona ownership experience. Again, nothing against you and I'll respect your opinion. Just don't marginalize mine.

Sorry, too long to read. I promise I will get to it later and give it the response it deserves.

Right now I'm busy admiring my dainty effeminate girly watch in its natural habitat as I head to the kitchen for some puff pastry and white zinfandel, got to get dinner behind me and to the TV before the Sex In The City marathon starts on Lifetime network.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:33 AM   #81
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
^^^^ Well said
X2

Try it on is exactly correct. If someone is insecure enough that appearing effeminate because of the size of a watch is an issue that is on them.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:35 AM   #82
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:

Sorry, too long to read. I promise I will get to it later and give it the response it deserves.

Right now I'm busy admiring my dainty effeminate girly watch in its natural habitat as I head to the kitchen for some puff pastry and white zinfandel, got to get dinner behind me and to the TV before the Sex In The City marathon starts on Lifetime network.
LOL!!
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:36 AM   #83
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
You're right the SS Daytona is closer to 38.5 mm

The WG, RG, Platinum and Oysterflex cases run larger though with different case designs altogether.

Though I do feel the SS Daytona, even at 38.5 mm (at the case), wears slightly bigger than that when you take the chronograph pushers into account.

I think it looks great on my 7.5 inch wrist, but it's not my only watch. Just one of several in my daily Rolex rotation though, so I can't say how I'd feel if it was just the SS Daytona alone.

I tend to think that as a one and only watch, the SS Daytona may be a little too much "polish" to be as versatile as a Sub or GMT Master.

IMO it's a great 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Rolex though and it's great for the occasion when you want or need a slimmer watch.
I've heard now a number of times that a pm Daytona has a different wear characteristic and more wrist presence than the steel. I am going to have to try one on. Any recommendations on references?

The 116519ln is striking. But I've hesitated because of how my previous Daytonas have worn.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:37 AM   #84
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Whatever works for ya, chief.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:38 AM   #85
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igpOzhAkKhw
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:38 AM   #86
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
X2

Try it on is exactly correct. If someone is insecure enough that appearing effeminate because of the size of a watch is an issue that is on them.
Beautifully constructed straw man.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:39 AM   #87
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
[IMG]
Dam you I just spit my beer all over the keyboard that's freakin hysterical

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:51 AM   #88
richard371
"TRF" Member

Remind me of the size of the older 6000 series Daytonas like a Paul Newman.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:59 AM   #89
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Beautifully constructed straw man.
I think we are all having a bit of fun with this thread.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 09:05 AM   #90
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I've heard now a number of times that a pm Daytona has a different wear characteristic and more wrist presence than the steel. I am going to have to try one on. Any recommendations on references?

The 116519ln is striking. But I've hesitated because of how my previous Daytonas have worn.
Love the look of the 116519ln myself as well. The new Oysterflex wear a little bigger, as does the Platona visually with its ceramic bezel and larger case. Full disclosure, the Oysterflex I have only tried on at a Basel preview and the Platona is a bit out of the range I'd look to spend. But I have owned the 116505 and quite enjoyed the case and size, other than the flashiness of the RG. It wore a lot like the 5 digit SS GMTs (at least in my experience), albeit a bit heavier.

The 116519LN looked bigger visually, but still not a huge watch by any means. Essentially, the best I could describe the PM references (outside of YG bracelet and its case matching the SS, TT), when compared to the SS is that the larger case references pretty much wear as if you imagine the left side lugs of the SS also being on the right side, instead of the slimmed down right side lugs you see on the SS, TT, YG. Between 1 and 2 o'clock the difference is very noticeable (visually at least) when you switch between the two style cases. To me the SS looks more historically inspired,while the larger PM cases, more modern.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , help me decide