The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2017, 10:02 AM   #1
DatejustKing
Banned

Current wait for 116500LN

Hey Everyone!

Just looking for some insight to see how long it will take to get a hold of that gorgeous Daytona. Currently on my AD's list for the new sky dweller.

Is it gonna be close to that year wait.....?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DatejustKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:11 AM   #2
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatejustKing View Post
Just looking for some insight to see how long it will take to get a hold of that gorgeous Daytona. Currently on my AD's list for the new sky dweller.

Is it gonna be close to that year wait.....?

Thank you!

Unless you have a close relationship with your AD, you're looking at 2-4 years.
I'm in NJ and spent the $3,500 vig and bought one from the grey market. No wait.

I'm still on the Rolex 5th Ave Manhattan waitlist, moved up 9 spots in a full year, I'm #68, perhaps I'll get his matching white brother in 2022.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:13 AM   #3
DatejustKing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post

I'm in NJ and spent the $3,500 vig and bought one from the grey market. No wait.

I'm still on the Rolex 5th Ave Manhattan waitlist, moved up 9 spots in a full year, perhaps I'll get his matching white brother in 2022.

My dealer is Wempe in rolex tower. I'd like to say I have a close relationship. I'm hoping for a year......

Old 24 May 2017, 10:15 AM   #4
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

They have one at DavidSW: https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-11...ytona-ceramic/
uncle_paul_hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:15 AM   #5
DatejustKing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_paul_hargis View Post

Crazy expensive though. Almost 18k

Old 24 May 2017, 10:35 AM   #6
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
My dealer is Wempe in rolex tower. I'd like to say I have a close relationship. I'm hoping for a year...
Ask your dealer what number you are on the list and how many Ceramics he received this past year. That should answer your question.

For me, the difference between waiting and instant gratification was an old Datejust in the back of the watch drawer that I barely wore two times a year. So selling it and using that cash to cover the gray market delta was the right decision for me.
Old 24 May 2017, 10:37 AM   #7
DatejustKing
Banned

You are right. I will call my dealer tom.

Thanks.

Old 24 May 2017, 10:38 AM   #8
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Come now, you are waitlisted for both the Sky Dweller and the Daytona Ceramic and you are going to quibble over $3,500?

Go get your gray market DC ordered tonight so you can have it by the weekend. DavidSW will give you a fair deal. Call him now. Let's go.
Old 24 May 2017, 12:39 PM   #9
kutime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, VC, Rolex
Quote:

I'm still on the Rolex 5th Ave Manhattan waitlist, moved up 9 spots in a full year, I'm #68, perhaps I'll get his matching white brother in 2022.
I'm in Jersey too and my AD wound't take my deposit for the Daytona due to the long line and wait. I'm #2 on the list for the DS43 though :)
kutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:09 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My dealer is Wempe in rolex tower. I'd like to say I have a close relationship. I'm hoping for a year......

I was on the list there for about 8-9 months before getting the call. They put me on the "previous customers list" as I had purchased two Rolexes there in recent years.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:12 PM   #11
psv
"TRF" Member

I'm on the list at 4 ADs, 3 of them I've bought several watches from, everything from Patek, AP, Rolex - and I am nowhere near getting one - it can be years.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:51 PM   #12
melrob1
"TRF" Member

My AD said all their good customers have received theirs. From them or grey market. Now their list is all off the street customers. Oh and Takuya just added one for sale for 15ish. So only a couple grand premium from retail if considering tax.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:00 PM   #13
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
My AD (Goldsmiths) in a major UK City 'claim' they only receive 2 Daytona's a year 1 black and 1 white.

By the size of their waiting list it will take 25 years to satisfy.

I'm calling utter
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 02:38 PM   #14
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I was on the NYC AD list for 8-9 months before I got the call to pick up my DaytonaC. I was very fortunate to be put on whatever special customer list they had...

Patience is the key...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - 1 (2).jpg (106.2 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg 1 - 5.jpg (71.9 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg 1 - 3.jpg (69.8 KB, 568 views)
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 06:49 PM   #15
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed. That's a lotta vig.

For $3k more I can get a gently used White Gold model.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:36 AM   #16
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Indeed. That's a lotta vig.

For $3k more I can get a gently used White Gold model.
And that's your prerogative of course.

Just understand that the market value for a Daytona Ceramic is $17,000 to $18,000 so if you want one in 2017 that is the price you will have to pay. There is no way to game the system. If you don't have a preexisting and close relationship with an AD you won't get a watch.
Old 26 May 2017, 02:59 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Long wait always

I personally do not know but have been told the wait was about 3 to 5 years for the old version in house movement when it first came out. They only started appearing in inventories just a year or two ago otherwise always pre-sold. I think it is true that unless you have a strong on-going relationship with an AD, you can forget about getting one within the next two years or so.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 03:12 AM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
And that's your prerogative of course.

Just understand that the market value for a Daytona Ceramic is $17,000 to $18,000 so if you want one in 2017 that is the price you will have to pay. There is no way to game the system. If you don't have a preexisting and close relationship with an AD you won't get a watch.
Sadly, if all could be patient and not pay that surcharge, they would be sitting in showcases.
I have personally never paid a demand price above MSRP for anything.
That impatience creates the hype and excessive price gauging, because in this case, price gauging is the accurate description.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:18 AM   #19
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Sadly, if all could be patient and not pay that surcharge, they would be sitting in showcases.
I have personally never paid a demand price above MSRP for anything.
That impatience creates the hype and excessive price gauging, because in this case, price gauging is the accurate description.
That's not the case at all, grey market sellers and grey market buyers are not causing the shortage at AD's.

Rolex is causing the shortage by holding back production. This forces AD's to be selective in who they sell to. AD's playing favorites frustrates the common buyer. If not for the grey sellers, millions of paying customers would hate Rolex with a passion for teasing them so awfully. We've read about people who have been on a waitlist for the prior generation SS Daytona for almost 13 years.

This "price gauging" as you call it is actually the way it works in a free market system, but we don't call it "gauging", we call it fair market pricing. If you aren't in the AD boys club, you'll never get a SS Daytona for $12,400 MSRP. Never going to happen. That's the secret handshake club. The fair market value is $18,000 right now. That's what the average guy on the street pays for one. So you can either live with that or you can't. If you want to stand by your principles and never pay over MSRP, that's cool, but all it means is that you're not going to get a watch.

I mean, when was the last time you paid face value for a Super Bowl ticket, a decent seat to a U2 concert, or orchestra seats to Hamilton? You can't. It's all done through third-parties like Stubhub. You pay more, but you get exactly what you want. That's the current retail climate for new Rolexes in high demand.
Old 26 May 2017, 06:28 AM   #20
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's not the case at all, grey market sellers and grey market buyers are not causing the shortage at AD's.

Rolex is causing the shortage by holding back production. This forces AD's to be selective in who they sell to. AD's playing favorites frustrates the common buyer. If not for the grey sellers, millions of paying customers would hate Rolex with a passion for teasing them so awfully. We've read about people who have been on a waitlist for the prior generation SS Daytona for almost 13 years.

This "price gauging" as you call it is actually the way it works in a free market system, but we don't call it "gauging", we call it fair market pricing. If you aren't in the AD boys club, you'll never get a SS Daytona for $12,400 MSRP. Never going to happen. That's the secret handshake club. The fair market value is $18,000 right now. That's what the average guy on the street pays for one. So you can either live with that or you can't. If you want to stand by your principles and never pay over MSRP, that's cool, but all it means is that you're not going to get a watch.

I mean, when was the last time you paid face value for a Super Bowl ticket, a decent seat to a U2 concert, or orchestra seats to Hamilton? You can't. It's all done through third-parties like Stubhub. You pay more, but you get exactly what you want. That's the current retail climate for new Rolexes in high demand.
Bingo. Pay to play. And unlike the SB, U2 tix, you can actually liquidate if you choose. It's a beautiful thing and all for a material good that has undifferentiated functional value.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:23 AM   #21
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:

First, nowhere in my post does it remotely infer Grey market is the cause.

I am extremely familiar with the law of supply and demand. I am an Economics minor. I recognize newly released items that are high in demand and low in supply will command prices in excess of that set by the manufacturer as a retail price
You can call it what you want but when items are being sold for thousands above that of suggested retail, it is price gouging. It is an opportunistic artificial price.
I understand that is the way of the world but I won't play. Many other options to bring just as much joy.

My point was and still is that the hysteria causes that artificial increase. If all sat back, waited patiently on lists, MSRP would prevail.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:36 AM   #22
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
I'm more your "instant gratification" kinda a guy and I know that about myself and if want something that's in high demand I'm willing to pay that premium and there are many folks like me. right now if you keep your eyes open you can pick up a pristine black face in the mid 15K and white in the mid 16K. New with stickers 17.5K.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:57 AM   #23
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I actually think it is completely fine that on the secondary market the SS Daytona's command such a premium. Supply is almost always artificial anyway. It isn't like Rolex is constrained in terms of how many SS Daytona's they can make since they have capacity to make all the other PM ones.

This isn't like a $1m handmade piece that takes 3 years to produce a single watch.

That said, for *me*, I'd rather pay $20k for a gently used White Gold model than $18k for a Steel model.

Disclaimer: I have a strong relationship with my AD. Have a White 116500 already, and will get a Black one later this year, as well.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:01 AM   #24
speedmaster73
Banned

Daytona over MSRP is a rip off for what you get......

just saying
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:08 AM   #25
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I called my AD the morning it was announced. Was number 1 but only because I went ahead and paid in full and they "ordered" it for me. Got it at msrp about six months later. See if they'll let you pay in full and get it ordered. Smaller town ADs will absolutely do that kind of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6834.jpg (107.8 KB, 268 views)
Old 26 May 2017, 08:22 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If you don't have some sort of a relationship with an AD, your choices are paying the premium or waiting...as for how long, that's anybody's guess.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 11:41 AM   #27
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
Daytona over MSRP is a rip off for what you get......
Is any Rolex worth what Rolex charges for it? I mean, compared to a Seiko or an Omega, is there a single Rolex that is worth the 200% to 500% delta between it and similar offerings from those brands.

No disrespect to anyone, but the "value" argument goes out the window for anyone willing to spend $7,000 and up on a wristwatch. If you're already being "ripped off" to the tune of $9,000 on a Daytona vs. something like a Speedmaster, what's another $3,000?

The realworld cost of a Daytona Ceramic is $17,000 to $18,000. Pay it or don't. Accept it or reject it. But that's what a Daytona costs in May 2017.
Old 26 May 2017, 11:51 AM   #28
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is any Rolex worth what Rolex charges for it? I mean, compared to a Seiko or an Omega, is there a single Rolex that is worth the 200% to 500% delta between it and similar offerings from those brands.

No disrespect to anyone, but the "value" argument goes out the window for anyone willing to spend $7,000 and up on a wristwatch. If you're already being "ripped off" to the tune of $9,000 on a Daytona vs. something like a Speedmaster, what's another $3,000?

The realworld cost of a Daytona Ceramic is $17,000 to $18,000. Pay it or don't. Accept it or reject it. But that's what a Daytona costs in May 2017.
Nothing wrong with paying over retail if you want, but there are more than a few of us that think it's simply nuts to do so. No need to justify your decision.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 12:07 PM   #29
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Nothing wrong with paying over retail if you want, but there are more than a few of us that think it's simply nuts to do so. No need to justify your decision.
If you are into a Cuban cigars, you just earned one.
Old 26 May 2017, 12:11 PM   #30
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
If you are into a Cuban cigars, you just earned one.
Monte No. 2 will do just fine!
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote