The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 September 2015, 11:40 PM   #31
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
I am sure they will invite me .... I mean that's if and only if they want to class the joint up a bit.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 12:18 AM   #32
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Seriously mixed. While I think it is interesting, I do not like the closed feeling of the "summit". I realize some like their privacy but one of the nicer things about the internet collecting communities (TRF/VRF/MWR/etc) is that they do share knowledge with others. Something that Hodinkee, was known for, sharing.

And yeh, 3500 for half a decent Matte dialed sub. Heck 3500 is half of a gloss dialed chaptering pointed crown guard Tudor - bleep that

Perhaps we should have a NYC Pub Crawl on the same weekend. Festivus, for the rest of us.
Old 20 September 2015, 02:03 AM   #33
joe100

Watch: Explorer
It's a publicity stunt. He's trying to show that he's relevant or some nonsense.
Old 20 September 2015, 04:24 AM   #34
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakasana View Post
Pretty much... :keeps the rif raf out: without saying it.
Guess I'm staying home.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 08:19 AM   #35
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Dreadful. Lost interest in the blog and this sort of caper further confirms why.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 10:41 AM   #36
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
his pay day about 250k
that's a nice 5970p :)
Willygallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 11:38 AM   #37
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
And they use the word "summit" like whatever they discuss will matter
Yes, The sheepish mealy mouthed description could barely mask the writers embarrassment for the lol of $3500 to come. Hodinkee has really gone cray cray lately. Must be that wine and dining from the industry. They have lost perspective and by turning off comments- Respect.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 12:45 PM   #38
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Hmmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (148.2 KB, 707 views)

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 01:40 PM   #39
morafa4
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 1675, Cx
I like this idea. I'd buy into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Perhaps we should have a NYC Pub Crawl on the same weekend. Festivus, for the rest of us.
morafa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 09:42 PM   #40
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not for me. That is the event and Hodinkee. I used to enjoy the site but they have changed. And not for the better.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2015, 03:57 AM   #41
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
I see a lot more talking watches videos to come after this!
Old 22 September 2015, 05:10 AM   #42
Bakasana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
lol. yes, bc there is a ton of "rif raf" who are into vintage rolex and patek.
Well, you know... "those" people.
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 05:45 AM   #43
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakasana View Post
Well, you know... "those" people.
We have to keep the undesirables out, old chap.
Old 22 September 2015, 05:57 AM   #44
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I'm sure there will be those that pay 3500 and those that don't. It's a smart concept by Hodinkee and I bet they will make a nice event. Depending on who you are and what you bring to the table the price tag will look different. I'm sure that hig profile dealers will get a different offer than the high price brands that want to come and show off their 2 million dollar tourbillion. In the end I'm sure everyone will be happy and the event will be cool for those that go. I would be surprised if everyone chips in the same amount but why would this "summit" be different than most other high profile event out there. Kudos to Hodinkee who have created something that could pull something like this off.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 06:14 AM   #45
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I'm sure there will be those that pay 3500 and those that don't. It's a smart concept by Hodinkee and I bet they will make a nice event. Depending on who you are and what you bring to the table the price tag will look different. I'm sure that hig profile dealers will get a different offer than the high price brands that want to come and show off their 2 million dollar tourbillion. In the end I'm sure everyone will be happy and the event will be cool for those that go. I would be surprised if everyone chips in the same amount but why would this "summit" be different than most other high profile event out there. Kudos to Hodinkee who have created something that could pull something like this off.
There's no such thing as bad publicity. But, I would much rather see them do something like this, that is in this price range, as a charity event instead.
Old 22 September 2015, 06:29 AM   #46
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
There's no such thing as bad publicity. But, I would much rather see them do something like this, that is in this price range, as a charity event instead.
Absolutely. They do need to make money somehow and I'm not sure Hodinkee is a money machine as it is today with some ads, some sold bands etc and some paid content. In the end of the day they probably have bills to pay and dream of making it big. Until they do I'm sure they need to prioritize business before charity. I doubt that they will actually cash in 3500 from every participant and even more from any sponsor. They will however create something that in the future could bring this in even if they today seem a bit snobby and expensive. Pr they get regardless.

Would you go if you get offered to join for a reasonable rate (or free) with the prerequisit that you widely share it on IG and never ever share that you actually joined on the expense of your dinner date next to you? Not implying that it would be wrong. This is just how the world sometimes spins.
Old 22 September 2015, 07:18 AM   #47
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely. They do need to make money somehow and I'm not sure Hodinkee is a money machine as it is today with some ads, some sold bands etc and some paid content. In the end of the day they probably have bills to pay and dream of making it big. Until they do I'm sure they need to prioritize business before charity. I doubt that they will actually cash in 3500 from every participant and even more from any sponsor. They will however create something that in the future could bring this in even if they today seem a bit snobby and expensive. Pr they get regardless.

Would you go if you get offered to join for a reasonable rate (or free) with the prerequisit that you widely share it on IG and never ever share that you actually joined on the expense of your dinner date next to you? Not implying that it would be wrong. This is just how the world sometimes spins.
That's a catch-22. If I say yes, then they can't invite me for free because people will know I didn't pay if I show up at the event.
Old 22 September 2015, 07:19 AM   #48
roh123
"TRF" Member

Sorry?

Regardless who or what hopefully they will be able to build an event that year after year works out. Then in the end it could also be for more charital purposes.

Imagine the upside where you have 100 extremely deep pocketed potential buyers paying 3500 to join the event where their money goes to charity while you have 10-15 sponsors paying big dollars to Hodinkee for reaching them. Win-win kind of.. (Or the skip the charity thingie and just get rich when people fill the seats fir full price anyway...)

It's probably impossible to make it work the first time around and therefore some will pay and some will just be very special.
Old 23 September 2015, 07:27 AM   #49
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I heard they are giving the attendees some nice t-shirts in their "goody bags."

The back of the shirt is captioned - "HOODWINKED BY HODINKEE"

I want one.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 01:57 PM   #50
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry?

Regardless who or what hopefully they will be able to build an event that year after year works out. Then in the end it could also be for more charital purposes.

Imagine the upside where you have 100 extremely deep pocketed potential buyers paying 3500 to join the event where their money goes to charity while you have 10-15 sponsors paying big dollars to Hodinkee for reaching them. Win-win kind of.. (Or the skip the charity thingie and just get rich when people fill the seats fir full price anyway...)

It's probably impossible to make it work the first time around and therefore some will pay and some will just be very special.
Why do you keep responding to me with these farcical arguments, as if I'm arguing with you, or want to take part in some argument?

If you don't know what a "catch-22" is, look it up!
Old 23 September 2015, 04:40 PM   #51
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I don't enjoy Jack Forster's overly self-concious "money is not an object!" approach and with regrets see that Hodinkee becomes something which I really don't like!

Starting a collector's summit with these elitist entrance fees is something which disgusts me and I have high hopes that they fail with the entire project.

I used to enjoy reading Hodinkee, seems that after the buy-out they've obviously turned to the dark and mainly commercial side.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 12:45 PM   #52
Bakasana
Banned

Quote:
We have to keep the undesirables out, old chap.
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 02:13 PM   #53
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Will never spend that kind of money for that kind of BS event. GTGs are far more fun to attend, imho.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2015, 02:46 PM   #54
SPEIRMOOR
"TRF" Member

Good excuse for the rest of us to hold an alternate event. If anything a get together and if you have something to sell bring it.
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2015, 12:22 AM   #55
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do you keep responding to me with these farcical arguments, as if I'm arguing with you, or want to take part in some argument?

If you don't know what a "catch-22" is, look it up!
Sorry Q. Just babbling. Weren't aimed at you. Just an old habit pressing the quote button..
Old 26 September 2015, 07:15 AM   #56
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwatch69 View Post
I bet you wont find a single person attending this event. Lets keep this thread alive to see if anyone is going. Its a PR thing and HYPE, no one is actually going to pay $3500 for this, wealthy collector, dealer or otherwise.
exactly

It's meant to attract people who have so much money and arrogance that they expect to go for free.
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2015, 07:30 AM   #57
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
ambitious pricing.

Here is the 35 cent summit message,

modern watches ain't worth collecting, their pricing and quantity made are too high for the end user to see appreciation, the ship has sailed.

most vintage watches don't really fit modern sized wrists, that ship has also sailed.

buy what you like to wear and if possible consider the strength of resale in purchasing.

Rolex is by far the best value with the strongest resale of any high end manufacturer.

I promise these thoughts are my own and not influenced by any watch manufacturer.

Summit over.

Old 26 September 2015, 07:51 AM   #58
Jonnyred72
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Perhaps we should have a NYC Pub Crawl on the same weekend. Festivus, for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

I could fly to NYC, get a nice hotel for a couple of days and hang out for $3500(and probably get change!)
Jonnyred72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2015, 09:44 AM   #59
WAS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 6610
Guy's got to make a living somehow

Seems like Benjamin Clymer has been slowly but surely monetizing the Hodinkee name and website, and who can blame him? Can you imagine the kind of wealth he sees with the participants in the "Talking Watches" pieces? That said, $3,500 for going to a watch summit seems excessive, unless they are planning to give you a watch while you're there.
WAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2015, 10:46 AM   #60
descartes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyred72 View Post

The Hodinkee event coincides with auction week, so I'll be in town for that and would join such a crawl.
descartes is offline   Reply With Quote