The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2015, 11:13 PM   #31
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
I would go with the Sub C first. Not taking anything away from the Tudor, but it is a different watch in many ways.

The 114060 is a modern classic, and really covers all of the bases (work, play). As much as I love the Tudor BB range I have not been fond of the OEM bracelet which limited me to wearing them on straps. Now mind you they still look amazing on straps but hard to dress them up sometimes. The 114060 bracelet is brilliant and super comfortable.

Go with a trusted seller as others have mentioned and for the price of a brand new 114060 you could be closing to having both.
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 12:32 AM   #32
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I know it's more money, but how about the blue dial YM ????
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 01:02 AM   #33
psychokandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Crown.Rose.Shield
I bought my BB Blue then move up to SubC 114060. Now I am a proud owner of both :)
psychokandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 01:30 AM   #34
igwt
"TRF" Member

im in a different situation from most of you guys.... i had sdc4000, sold it for BB red... i find it more comfortable... hugging my wrist more... and if you adjust the bracelet correctly.. i will be on the same comfort of the sdc4000... the only advantage of the SDC is the glide lock... but i don't use that much....

and i think the BB will age nicely since its not ceramic...
igwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 02:27 AM   #35
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
1st go for the Rolex Nd,2nd watch go for the Tudor
no question this^^^^
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 02:37 AM   #36
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

I own both and my personal opinion is that the BB represents far better value for money than the Rolex, and offers about 95% of the quality***. In the UK you can pick up a brand new Tudor for about £1,700/£1850 whereas you'd be £4,500/£4,750 for the Sub from a similar source. So, in absolute terms, I'd say the Tudor is a far better buy. Also from what I've seen of resale I don't think your mate is correct. Like for Like I'd see a Sub ND reselling in decent condition for £3,750 or so and the BB reselling for £1,350 or so, so very little in it in percentage terms and far more actual loss on the Sub. I owned the Sub first and, having since bought the BB, I'd have a tough time justifying the Sub to myself, given my views above. That said, if you love the Sub and the price difference isn't all that important to you, then you can't really go wrong with one of those either, so as run of the mill as this suggestion always is, buy the one you love and enjoy it.

***Edit: I'm talking about tangible/visible quality here - bracelet, bezel feel, etc - the in-house movement on the Rolex is something you'll need to ascribe your own value to.
Old 8 December 2015, 04:10 AM   #37
mschafer
"TRF" Member

They're all great watches at this point. I would look at style and feel first and "forget" about the price. You'll have it long enough that it won't matter (all financial obligations met prior to the purchase, right?). No one can tell you what's better, retains value, blah...And if you have to save a bit longer that's fine, that's what this forum is for, maybe even open your eyes to other ideas or ways to acquire your new baby. Just saying.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 04:13 AM   #38
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

All the writing on the Pelagos is just too much and the Rotor self-winding and 1640ft marking is just plain daft. If they just put 500m it would look a little more refined. In real life I like the black but really didn't like the blue at all, personal taste of course.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:04 AM   #39
asleep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5guy View Post
...I really like the blue face and dial but my buddy says Tudor will never hold its value the same way.
You like blue, get that new Pelagos blue. You can get them in the mid-$3ks and it's an award winning design.

You can swap a rubber strap for the bracelet when you like.

I'd focus on your appreciation of the timepiece than depreciation. If you've got the wrist to handle the size, I think it's a very cool/functional design.

asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:58 AM   #40
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
Newbie with Sub ND vs. Tudor ?'s

Here's a comparison review I did between my SubC ND, BBN and my vintage 1680...
A tale of three Subs (A Black Bay Black comparison)...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=442976

The BBN is a spectacular value, and I reallly am enjoying it, but in the end I'd keep the SubC if I couldn't have both.

Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 06:04 AM   #41
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo6 View Post
Here's a comparison review I did between my SubC ND, BBN and my vintage 1680...
A tale of three Subs (A Black Bay Black comparison)...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=442976
As you can see it's just a matter of degrees. All the watches look similar and essentially do the same thing. It's budget and personal preference. Only the individual in question can make that choice.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 08:21 AM   #42
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Should be deleted - duplicate
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 08:25 AM   #43
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I have the date Sub. and the blue Pelagos.
My daily wearer is the Pelagos for several reasons:
Great bracelet with expansion and adjustments
Out of this world lume
Light weight for its size - titanium don't you know

But still, there is something special about the Rolex Sub. that nothing else can match completely.
On the other hand I can say the same about the Pelagos.
Both of these ate keepers to me.

Check out both, buy the one that smiles at you, and for heavens sake forget about way down the road value. Old Tudor Subs. are approaching old Rolex Subs. value now.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 08:43 AM   #44
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
In strict value for money terms, it would be hard to argue that the Pelagos is not ahead. No doubt it is a very good watch indeed but it's always very hard to go past a Rolex, particularly the new Subs!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 11:36 AM   #45
F5guy
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the input to the uninitiated. Looks like I'll have to try both and go with my gut. I like the allure of sporty modern and different bands but we'll see if the sub knocks me over and have to have it. Time will tell and I'll report back. As spoonage referred to would the sub be more durable and less scratch resistant? I take care of things but don't baby them.
F5guy is offline   Reply With Quote