The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2015, 02:32 AM   #1
taz101
Banned

Submariner no date, Sea Dweller or DSSD

Hi Guys,

So I want to add a Rolex to my Omega collection and actually bought the date ceramic sub Saturday and on looking at it I went straight back to the dealer to return it as I HATED the Cyclops (once I had a bit of me time to look at it). Looks great straight on but from an angle I thought the 'blob' ruined the aesthetics of the clear classic dial?

I have ordered the no date now but am thinking it is very similar to my Omega Seamaster Pro..will I adore it?

I also looked at the Sea Dweller but I thought the extra markers on the bezel over complicated it but I do like the extra thickness of that and the date (but not so bothered about the date)

Finally, the DSSD..this one I cant make my mind up. I know its 44mm which is probably too big but I like the colours on it.

Any thoughts appreciated. Please prefer not to get the 'ultimately its your choice' etc I know it is I am purely interested in hearing sound off on WHY people prefer one of the particular models above to another :)
taz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 02:48 AM   #2
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I purchased my first Rolex, a no date sub almost 20 years ago. I also did not like the cyclops at that time and fell in love with the classic simplicity of the dial. Fast forward to today and I now own the SD 4000 Sea Dweller, a Deep Sea, and a Sub LV. I have also owned a fair number of Omegas and currently own the new SM 300.

I do not know what other watches you may own, but based on my my own experience, the no date Sub is likely a good place for you to start. It is a classic look and easily flipped for something else if you end up not liking it. My personal first choice is the SD 4000; I like the more tapered lugs, and the date function s useful and unobtrusive. The Deep Sea is an exceptional piece as well, but definitely not for everyone and probably not a good choice for your initial Rolex purchase. Good luck with your choice.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 03:01 AM   #3
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have owned a 14060 and now have a 114060, so my preference is the sub of course. Why? I prefer simplicity over complexity. The sub does all you need in an everyday dive watch and nothing that you dont need. Its sleeker on the wrist and more wearable than the SD and DSSD.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Galion
"TRF" Member

Sub/SD if your wrist < 7"
DSSD if > 7"
Galion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 03:59 AM   #5
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I have the Sub-C Date, and have owned the DSSD in the past. The Sub ND sounds like it would work for you, since the cyclops is the only thing that bothers you on the Sub. The SD 4000 would be good as well, slightly heftier, beefy. I would recommend those before the DSDD. The DSSD is BIG and takes getting used to. If I had to recommend any of those, I'd start with Sub ND, SD 4000, then DSSD in that order. Good luck!
RolexguyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 04:03 AM   #6
mschafer
"TRF" Member

The DSSD is a true tool watch and works for some as an everyday watch. Please consider the SDc as it's similar to the Subs in size and has a date without the cyclops, wich you didn't like in the first place. To me, the SDc is THE diver watch!
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 04:05 AM   #7
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
sounds like the sub ND would be the choice to make for you
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 04:20 AM   #8
Jfullm42
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Pick up an older 16600 Sea Dweller if you don't like the bezel insert on the new one
Jfullm42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:09 AM   #9
taz101
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
I purchased my first Rolex, a no date sub almost 20 years ago. I also did not like the cyclops at that time and fell in love with the classic simplicity of the dial. Fast forward to today and I now own the SD 4000 Sea Dweller, a Deep Sea, and a Sub LV. I have also owned a fair number of Omegas and currently own the new SM 300.

I do not know what other watches you may own, but based on my my own experience, the no date Sub is likely a good place for you to start. It is a classic look and easily flipped for something else if you end up not liking it. My personal first choice is the SD 4000; I like the more tapered lugs, and the date function s useful and unobtrusive. The Deep Sea is an exceptional piece as well, but definitely not for everyone and probably not a good choice for your initial Rolex purchase. Good luck with your choice.
Elton great response thankyou. I should have added I am not looking to 'start' a Rolex collection but end on one :) I know many say that but I have 3 Bond LE Omegas and want to finish off with a Rolex.
Old 8 December 2015, 05:09 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galion View Post
Sub/SD if your wrist < 7"
DSSD if > 7"
Exactly.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:09 AM   #11
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I wear a Subc ND as an everyday watch (currently its on a nato), to me its the perfect from the simplicity of the watch just allows me to tell the time. Dont use or need a date function for the watch, thats what my phone is used for. Lighter than the SD and more comfortable than both its a winner if the budget isn't taken in consideration.
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:27 AM   #12
taz101
Banned

Testing? Not sure why but my earlier reply said it had to be approved by a moderator?
Old 8 December 2015, 05:27 AM   #13
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

I have just bought a SD4000. I like the extra bezel markings personally, and it is also not noticeably heavier to wear than my BLNR, and the fact it has a date (which I find useful) and no cyclops makes a nice difference to my BLNR and Anniversary Sub LV.

Best thing is to try them all on and see which one suits.
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:37 AM   #14
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
114060. Really love the SDC and DSSD as well but the 114060 is a pure, sleek dive watch with no frills.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:48 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Any thoughts appreciated. Please prefer not to get the 'ultimately its your choice' etc I know it is I am purely interested in hearing sound off on WHY people prefer one of the particular models above to another :)
The Submariner.

I prefer my watches to fit my wrist and be comfortable.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 05:50 AM   #16
Brandon(phila)
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I currently wear a DSSD for daily wear...and wore with Suit over the weekend at a wedding...fits under the cuff no problem.
It is a very tall watch, about 18mm off the wrist so you will bump it from time to time(more than other watches like Sub or SD).

My wrist is 7.5 inch.
It's not so much the 44mm part that is the problem it's the height. Go to AD and try on to make sure it's the right watch for you.
As far as the SDc you will hardly notice the extra markings on the bezel. I always say....they all look the same from 10ft away
Brandon(phila) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 09:44 PM   #17
MahdiyaDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I went with a SeaDweller, I was half and half on the bezel graduations. I liked it because it was a nod to Mil Subs but wasn't so sure at first because of how it would 'complicate' the look.

Now I use it for my day to day stuff, timing things from parking meters and cooking lunch for my kids.

I also thought the thickness would be an issue but that's also a non-issue. I have flat wrists and they aren't wide but the SeaDweller fits me fine and doesn't really bother me.

I have also come to love having the date there, helps when I desk dive.

Good luck with your decision!
MahdiyaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 10:07 PM   #18
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
SO, Taz101 which way are you leaning?

The SD4000 as well as the DSSD do sit a little higher on your wrist. I am not referring to the width, but the case back. So for me the SD4000 felt better as I moved my wrist around in different positions.

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 11:01 PM   #19
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I am pretty much alive digit sport Rolex guy but tried the SD4000 when it come out. I did not hold onto it for too long as it just did not do it for me - too busy looking bezel etc.

Have since picked up a new SubC and must say am very impressed with it. Even with the wider case, lugs, it still feels pretty good. The simplicity of the design and dial layout also works very well. Great watch!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 11:50 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Subc ND, nice watch, nicer price.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 04:58 AM   #21
taz101
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
I am pretty much alive digit sport Rolex guy but tried the SD4000 when it come out. I did not hold onto it for too long as it just did not do it for me - too busy looking bezel etc.

Have since picked up a new SubC and must say am very impressed with it. Even with the wider case, lugs, it still feels pretty good. The simplicity of the design and dial layout also works very well. Great watch!
I feel exactly as you do and very happy I've got the ND on order will post pic when got it (not that it's not the most recognizable watch out there lol)
Old 9 December 2015, 05:07 AM   #22
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

If you dont like the bezel on the SD why would you like the DSSd, same markers. Pick which one has the most pros to you because it seems like you just looking at one or two things to turn you off and I sure anything we buy will have seem dislikes.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 06:58 AM   #23
Pharmlou
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 16710 5513
No date sub. The SD flops around on the wrist with a bracelet and the DSSD is even worse (they are much better on a Nato, rubber B and isofrane).
Pharmlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 07:03 AM   #24
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I am biased as I own the 114060 but I would say spend some time with it, it is an amazing watch. If you don't love it though, that's ok, move on till you find the one for you.
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 07:14 AM   #25
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Thinner wrists, Sub, over 7" DSSD. Even though the DSSD is a very thick / top heavy watch, it fits my 7.5" wrist fantastic, and I hardly know it's there most of the time ( having the bracelets fit snug also helps with this too ) .
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 07:53 AM   #26
anton_m5
"TRF" Member

I have 7,5 inch wrist and I went from 114060 to DSSD and I can tell the DSSD fits so much better. Even tough I wear/wore both snug the wider lug to lug width on DSSD makes the watch stay better on top of the wrist. Never felt it was too high or top heavy. I would also say there is a noticable difference in quality feel since the DSSDs higher weight and chunkiness.
anton_m5 is offline   Reply With Quote