The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 December 2015, 05:02 AM   #1
tough
"TRF" Member

16750 vs 16710? Daily wear?

Good day.
Looking to get insight on which most people would rather suggest.
I am looking for a pepsi insert, as I find it one of the most beautiful rolexes, and I have to say, though I like a lot more the look of a 1675 or 16750 matte dial, I can't help but feel that the 16710 is a better watch for an everyday use. Water resistance I understand is better, the worry of moisture or water entering a 16750 is greater.

Is this wrong?

Is a 1675 or 16750 easily a "everyday" material?
Would you be worried if it rained while you were wearing yours?
tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 05:05 AM   #2
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
To be honest it will depend on the example you choose and its history etc. Not really much help but I have a 1675 from 1970 which I use as a daily plus it has passed all the tests so rain is no problem.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 05:10 AM   #3
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
To be honest it will depend on the example you choose and its history etc. Not really much help but I have a 1675 from 1970 which I use as a daily plus it has passed all the tests so rain is no problem.
So basically best to buy one with service history?
I will not lie that the 1675 and 16750 matte dial is so much nicer, but I am worried I will pay so much money for a watch that I will scare to wear in the rain.
I'm sure you know what I mean.

If I service it with rolex and they pressure test it and pass water resistance, does this mean 100% rain will not be a problem?

My only reason to think of 16710 is due to it being stronger I think for taking hit.
Old 20 December 2015, 05:47 AM   #4
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
I wore a 16750 for the better part of this year. I swam with it, went to the beach, rode bikes etc never had a problem.

That said, I do feel more comfortable swimming with my 16710 Pepsi or my 116710BLNR.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 06:12 AM   #5
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traf View Post
I wore a 16750 for the better part of this year. I swam with it, went to the beach, rode bikes etc never had a problem.

That said, I do feel more comfortable swimming with my 16710 Pepsi or my 116710BLNR.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Wow you own a 16750, 16710, and 116710?
You are a huge GMT fan!!
Old 20 December 2015, 06:27 AM   #6
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
I have a 1675 And wear in the rain. I am sure it rained in the 1970s and they had no issue.

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
I have a 16710 as a vacation watch... I keep my vintages far from water...
16710 is a better choice as a toolwatch imo
Old 20 December 2015, 07:41 AM   #8
Pharmlou
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 16710 5513
A well serviced 1675 or 16750 with a service crystal would have no problems with daily wear and swimming!
Pharmlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 07:50 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
There are no issues with water and GMT 1675s or 16750s that is an urban myth. I've been wearing a 16750 daily for over a decade. I've owned many 16710s which is also a great watch but it is not vintage and won't be for many years.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 08:13 AM   #10
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There are no issues with water and GMT 1675s or 16750s that is an urban myth. I've been wearing a 16750 daily for over a decade. I've owned many 16710s which is also a great watch but it is not vintage and won't be for many years.
Many thanks for all the responses.
It is good to hear that it is not a problem around water, and it should last.
My only issue is that I think a 16710 even when it becomes vintage will not give the feeling that a 1675 to 16750 gives today.
The modern Rolex also have golden rings, same as the 16710. It is only the vintage that are matte dials and that truly look special.

I have another concern on that note.
I have seen some very old Rolexes from the 60s that retain in nice condition, with good patina, not flaking off and very beautiful.
I have seen also newer watches from late 70s and early 80s where the patina looks very bad, flaking off, and "dirty".
Is this due to bad care of the watch? Not routinely servicing? Maybe putting in sea water without pressure tested?

Or is this the future of all matte dials with Patina in the future?

I think a quest for a vintage GMT will start as it is the one I really like.
Old 20 December 2015, 08:47 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tough View Post
Many thanks for all the responses.
It is good to hear that it is not a problem around water, and it should last.
My only issue is that I think a 16710 even when it becomes vintage will not give the feeling that a 1675 to 16750 gives today.
The modern Rolex also have golden rings, same as the 16710. It is only the vintage that are matte dials and that truly look special.

I have another concern on that note.
I have seen some very old Rolexes from the 60s that retain in nice condition, with good patina, not flaking off and very beautiful.
I have seen also newer watches from late 70s and early 80s where the patina looks very bad, flaking off, and "dirty".
Is this due to bad care of the watch? Not routinely servicing? Maybe putting in sea water without pressure tested?

Or is this the future of all matte dials with Patina in the future?

I think a quest for a vintage GMT will start as it is the one I really like.
A vintage Rolex is like a cat - it has "nine lives." Those in poor condition with case issues, marked, scratched or missing paint and/or tritium from the dials/hands or suffering from corrosion/rust have probably used up all or most of their nine lives unlike the better maintained vintage watches which have not, and probably never will, fall prey to losing all their "nine lives" due to owners taking better care of their vintage investments both then and today.

Old watches are like old cars or anything else - some owners just take better care of their possessions.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 09:53 AM   #12
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Whilst I would agree that the 1675/16750 looks slightly better than some of its GMT sucessors, I've I had to go with just one GMT for the future, I would probably try to source a well looked after/serviced 16710 - superb watch that does just about everything!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2015, 01:19 AM   #13
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
A vintage Rolex is like a cat - it has "nine lives." Those in poor condition with case issues, marked, scratched or missing paint and/or tritium from the dials/hands or suffering from corrosion/rust have probably used up all or most of their nine lives unlike the better maintained vintage watches which have not, and probably never will, fall prey to losing all their "nine lives" due to owners taking better care of their vintage investments both then and today.

Old watches are like old cars or anything else - some owners just take better care of their possessions.
I understood.
Basically it is not necessary that all of the patina look bad with time, and a good cared watch will remain in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Whilst I would agree that the 1675/16750 looks slightly better than some of its GMT sucessors, I've I had to go with just one GMT for the future, I would probably try to source a well looked after/serviced 16710 - superb watch that does just about everything!
I think I will still go for 1675 or 16750 that was serviced and looked after.
I think they look better, and since I know now that if I take care of it it will continue to look and work well and not give me problems, I am happier to find a good matte dial vintage pepsi.
I cannot justify two vintage GMTs, 16750 and 16710, but I will look for another beater for the swimming days etc. Maybe something more modern and current.
I like very much a BLNR. Maybe it will be a nice GMT duo for the future.
Old 21 December 2015, 03:05 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Perhaps looking at features might be worthwhile.

With it's fastbeat movement the 16750 introduced the quick-change date feature. Only with the advent of the 16760 (later the 16610) do we find Rolex using the jump-hour feature. While it is a bit slower to advance the date the jump-hour lends a bit more versatility to watch.

If luminosity is necessary a superluminova 16610 will lend a certain amout of low light visibility. A 16750 untouched will be lacking here.

The matt dial is the best option in the 16750 for collectability though one must be aware that the hands sets on the reference has been known to exibit more corrosion than others. I'm not sure I've heard a good reason for this. though it's been debated for years.

Stated WR is the same-100M. For what ever reason Rolex upped the WR on the 1750 though it uses the acryllic crystal as does the 1675.

Both will give excellent service and parts for the 16750's 3075 movement are not a problem. RSC will warrent the watch for it's stated depth hence rain "ain't gonna hurt it"

The GMT is a fantastic reference.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2015, 04:42 AM   #15
jo.jo
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to chose
I use my 1972 GMT 1675 as my ordinary watch
Is it a Rolex or a seiko is not the question rather dos it show the right time or not

Kind regards Jonas straka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.5 KB, 521 views)
jo.jo is offline   Reply With Quote