The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 December 2016, 03:43 AM   #1
s.mansoor
"TRF" Member

What ETA grade was used in vintage Tudor Oysterdates with 2824-1?

Hi everyone, I'm about to pick up a Prince OysterDate with the ETA 2824-1. Its currently gaining under 10 seconds a day, having been serviced a year and a half ago. Does anyone know what grade they used for this ETA movement - if its the standard grade I'll keep it as is, but if its the elaborated or top grade ETA then I may have to send it in for a service because of the variation. Appreciate the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (90.4 KB, 207 views)
s.mansoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 04:04 AM   #2
D111s
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I believe Tudor used the top grade versions, just didn't send them for certifying.

However the rotor doesn't look right in your pic, usually they have Tudor engraved on them.
D111s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 04:18 AM   #3
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D111s View Post
I believe Tudor used the top grade versions, just didn't send them for certifying.

However the rotor doesn't look right in your pic, usually they have Tudor engraved on them.
Agreed. Perhaps replaced during independent service?
Old 12 December 2016, 08:37 AM   #4
s.mansoor
"TRF" Member

I'll look into the rotor issue! Thanks for the help guys!
s.mansoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
The prince uses 2824 elabore (high grade). The rotor in the pic is not the right one. Bridge and rotor are always engraved. Just built a prince with 2824 basic nickel plated and these are the timegrapher details (posted in watch tech section)...

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana". Groucho Marx.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex used the high grade ebauch, but that really doesn't matter much. They modified it to meet their own criteria, as they did with other makers movements that they used.

Perhaps this one only has an engraved plate though.
Old 12 December 2016, 11:07 AM   #7
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Regarding the auto rotor...there is a change it was worn out so someone just replaced the assembly with a generic.

Hopefully the top of the main plate is still marked Tudor which can be seen if the dial is removed.

As its been said...Rolex modified a top grade movement (I believe they updated the balance and the shock system).
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Ghould
"TRF" Member

At +10 secs for a (relatively) old ETA I personally wouldn't bother with servicing, i would just enjoy it as is.
Ghould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 11:32 AM   #9
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79090 blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghould View Post
At +10 secs for a (relatively) old ETA I personally wouldn't bother with servicing, i would just enjoy it as is.
Agreed. I'd hold off imho.

Frustrating when rotors been changed but very common. Not much you can do about that aside from finding a donor or spare.
RKTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2016, 01:50 PM   #10
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Aparently some watch makers can punch the old bearing out and install a new one...it's a shame the old rotor was not maintained.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Lamy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.mansoor View Post
Hi everyone, I'm about to pick up a Prince OysterDate with the ETA 2824-1. Its currently gaining under 10 seconds a day, having been serviced a year and a half ago. Does anyone know what grade they used for this ETA movement - if its the standard grade I'll keep it as is, but if its the elaborated or top grade ETA then I may have to send it in for a service because of the variation. Appreciate the help!
Sorry to revive an 'old' thread, but i feel like the questions weren't answered. Tudor uses 'Top' grade movements and puts their own KIF shock protection on all of their ETA movements, it can be seen on Rolex's calibers too.
This is a good indication because not many companies use KIF shock protection on their ETA movements and none will have KIF + the engraving on the auto mechanism saying "AUTO-PRINCE 25 RUBIES SWISS MADE" haha
[IMG] https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...95673278717233 [/IMG] KIF is the left, your movement contains this too so no worries there. Yes the rotor is a generic replacement, possibly replaced by a home hobbyist as a watchmaker would simply 'punch' out the bearing (as eco8gator mentioned) and replace it, it costs cents to do with the right tools. But they aren't too pricey to come by. There's a NOS Tudor rotor on eBay for $50 as we speak, Chinese copies of the rotor are available for $20 too.

If you have access to a timegrapher, place it on it and if the beat error and amplitude is acceptable, simply regulate the watch. I would regulate it regardless, it's simple to do with just an iPhone app.
Lamy is offline   Reply With Quote