The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 May 2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Need Help: Bubbleback Identification and Valuation

Hey, folks!

My stepfather has a bubbleback as an heirloom from a family member. He has respect for Rolexes, but they're not really his thing, so it's been in storage. When I heard he had a vintage Rolex in his collection, I was curious to understand what it might be and if it would be worth turning into a project. Could be fun, right?

We believe it's a 30's or 40's vintage piece, all-original as far as we know. It winds and runs, but it could use a good servicing given the age and lack of use. There's some grime, likely from the old strap that used to be on it, but corrosion appears to be minimal.

Anyway, I've done as much digging as I can on the bubblebacks and have a rough idea of what they tend to go for, but I'd like to pick your brains if I may:

1. Do we know the reference/model number of this one in specific? Approximate year? Anything special about it apart from other bubblebacks? etc.

2. What's it worth in its present state? (no strap, no documentation, history largely unknown, etc.)

3. What would it cost to service it to keep it running accurately and reliably? Strictly from a mechanical aspect, assuming I would go through RSC.

4.What would it cost to restore it aesthetically later on down the road? Would it make more sense just to have it done at the same time as the mechanical servicing?

Thanks in advance! Greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170514_142207.jpg (75.3 KB, 313 views)
Stargazer735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 01:03 AM   #2
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

It's nice! Dial may have been repainted, definitely re-lumed. I have a 3772 that looks very similar. Mine was brought to a wonderful state of function (within 4-7 seconds a day and waterproof) by Mr. Taylor, who posts here as R.W.T.
Old 16 May 2017, 01:58 AM   #3
watch-guy.com
Banned

Redial

Nice watch
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 03:47 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Reasonably nice original case. On the 3372 the bezel is everything. Grades of bezel polishing and wear for me figure extremely heavily in this watch and I would be prepared to pay more for a perfect bezel...a dial you can find a bezel you can't replace...well you could but it's not a pop off affair and you'd never find one loose.

The dial its refinished. It's not the best I've seen nor the worst.

The case looks only lightly polished if that and I would say definitely never saw a wheel. The lines are crisp especially between the lugs and the web.

It's worth twice as much with an original dial as without probably.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 03:53 AM   #5
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

RSC won't touch that watch. I will if you like.

PM me.
Old 16 May 2017, 05:03 AM   #6
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
That period of watches has the coolest styling. Not to beat a dead horse but if they were of the size that people prefer today, myself included, collectors and users would be fighting each other to get them.

If it was a 37-38mm your PM box would be full.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone! The insight is very helpful.

Silly question, but how do you know if it's re-lumed or re-dialed? Upon close inspection, the lume looks very old, almost wrinkling/bubbling, as if there were some sort of shrinkage over time. Much of the dial has similar features. Not questioning whether it is or not, I'm just curious. Fun to learn this stuff!

Also, what's it worth in its present state, assuming I had it mechanically serviced? I'm seeing 3372 prices all over the place, typically ranging $2,300 to $6,000.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:22 PM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It doesn't say SWISS MADE.

The lume is far too messy even as messy goes for even that era and you just know.

The fonts.

The crown.

Really money wise....non original dials....kills it. Someone bought one yesterday on eBay with an original black dial and handset...for $5100.00...they bought the watch to steal the dial and hands for a better watch I would almost guarantee. That dial will end up in a solid gold hooded bubble back. 3065 and they'll sell the 3372 off with a refinished dial and take a loss on it but either make their 3065 complete for keeping or to sell for a substantially higher price.

3372 in steel and gold $3500.00 would push it if it had a perfect bezel imho with an original dial. Pink is better than yellow.

With an unoriginal dial..half that if all was well, and that might be on a good day.

Here's one that needed a little attention but actually had a sharper bezel and an original dial..which albeit was a mess...was still better than a refinished dial in the market AND it had a partial bamboo bracelet.

$1025.00

They're out there. I think running unoriginal dial with a case like yours 1700.00 would be fair market value. You might get more...you might get less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-BUBBLE...p2047675.l2557
Old 16 May 2017, 03:31 PM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

If you plan to keep it, my recommendation is have it serviced properly and make sure it's water resistant if that is important to you.

I wouldn't polish the case at all as it is very original.

That being said..the bezel screws on with a gasket underneath made originally of lead. If corrosion has set in...it will not pass a water test at which point you either opt to know that it will not be made water resistant or there are ways to remove the bezel though it was NOT meant to come off in the field so to speak but rather only at a service center and they as I said will not even open your watch at this point. It will come right back to you. Of course there are always exceptions but I got an exception 32 years ago and they weren't accepting them then. I learned how to fix them.

The gasket must be replaced hopefully now with something more permanent.

Sometimes you get lucky and the original gasket is doing it's job. Other times not. Even when Rolex did mine in Geneva...they returned it non water resistant...they didn't address the issue and they stated that up front. I did later and it is now water resistant.

Wear it, enjoy it and if you want an original dial...keep your eye out til you find one that suits you. They are out there...they are not cheap...like I said..for the right watch someone will buy a donor to steal the dial. I've done it myself.

There is nothing wrong with a refinished dial unless one is trying to sell the watch. Then it hurts the value. If you like the way the dial looks and you want to wear it and enjoy it FANTASTIC! No harm done. It's a very nice watch I will add. It looks great just like it is.

Best
T
Old 17 May 2017, 12:06 AM   #10
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

That's great! Thank you so much for the insight!

Honestly, I think I would just want to have it mechanically serviced and water resistant if possible. It will be a daily driver for the office, assuming I can get him to part with it. ;)

R.W.T., I will reach out via PM after we decide what we are going to do. Thank you again!
Old 17 May 2017, 07:27 AM   #11
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Here's the one that R.W.T. restored for me! I wear it often, it's amazing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3772.jpg (69.6 KB, 218 views)
Old 19 May 2017, 09:54 AM   #12
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

I'm trying to find other examples of the 3372 with this exact dial so I can do a comparison. I've only found a couple, but are we positive that this specific dial always said Swiss Made?

Take a look at the example below.

http://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=20830
Old 19 May 2017, 09:59 AM   #13
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

EDIT: Double post.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:56 PM   #14
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Maron's dial is a worse refin than yours. Look at the crown? A 3rd grader with a crayon could do a better job. Is it supposed to look like a fountain spurting water...or fleurs-de-lis?

I have spoken with people that I trust greatly that have had direct connection with Rolex...SWISS. SWISS MADE. FAB SUISSE. some indication was put on the dials. I do not believe the myth that dials were made and assembled in other countries that are identical to dials made in Switzerland and installed in unassembled watches in the destination countries. Canada being one example.
I would submit that if this were done for some cost saving reason that it would be rampant...rather than a handful of dials that people would love to claim were original from Canada...that don't have a Swiss manufacture designation?
It just doesn't hold up. And why would anyone want one? You can't prove it. You will always have to make an excuse and an apology and it will always kill the value of the watch.

Anyone can believe what they want to believe. Until someone gives me proof in writing from Rolex Geneva that this in fact did happen I will never believe it and Rolex Geneva will never do that so that will be a long time.

I won't say 100% that I can guarantee my call on every single bubble back dial that one presents to me...but you get a feel for what is and what isn't...and I've seen....I can't put a number on it. I've owned 50 probably and I have probably 30 that I've parted out...God knows how many I've looked at and held in hand and how many I've serviced for other people.

Here are original dials from the era of every variety...mostly watches I've personally owned, restored and sold, and others that I simply did for other people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9719.jpg (89.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8942.jpg (99.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8032.jpg (75.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7890.jpg (78.4 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7820.jpg (94.2 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7236.jpg (81.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7092.jpg (81.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6972.jpg (86.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6596.jpg (110.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6498.jpg (86.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6241.jpg (73.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5165.jpg (81.7 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3665.JPG (98.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3626.JPG (124.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3427.JPG (121.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1779.jpg (96.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1938.JPG (41.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2622_zps5049d963.JPG (91.9 KB, 179 views)
Old 19 May 2017, 10:51 PM   #15
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

You can trust Mr. Taylor's opinion. My 3372 dial, as posted, is a repaint BUT I was clear about that when I bought the watch. Repaint carries a fair amount of stigma among hard-core collectors and investors, but doesn't mean as much to those of us who wear it, as long as it is attractive. In fact, it gives you the freedom to commission ANOTHER repaint, since you aren't destroying any collector's value. Here's a 6605 that I got with a horrible repaint, that I then had repainted once again. Quite attractive, no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000372.jpg (71.1 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by motoikkyu; 19 May 2017 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: unclear grammar and reference
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 12:04 PM   #16
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

And like I said a re painted dial only really comes in to play if you are going to sell it.

LOTS of watches have repainted dials and that was quite NORMAL when these watches were a few years old. Especially dealing with radium burn and the not so resilient metal crown gaskets. The OP's dial was done quite some time ago. It looks vintage. No harm.

Now Thom...your 6605 dial...if I wasn't looking would fool me.
Old 22 May 2017, 04:37 AM   #17
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

OK, great! Thank you R.W.T. and everyone else for the insight. It's been invaluable.

I'll follow up with new posts once I acquire it. R.W.T., I'll be in touch for any next steps.

Maybe post some progress pics and stuff.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:59 AM   #18
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

The 6098 repaint that I'm DEFINITELY sending your way this week is at least equal if not superior. The minute a project starts to come together, all hell breaks loose in the non-watch fronts. I envy Mr. Taylor and other horological professionals sometimes.