The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2017, 03:38 AM   #1
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Sub tribute to Sir Roger Moore - show your Sub

Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 03:53 AM   #2
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:26 AM   #3
john_peter33
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3517.jpg (92.2 KB, 809 views)
john_peter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:38 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:43 AM   #5
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Thanks!! Roger ...........

Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:47 AM   #6
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner

I woke up to the news that Roger Moore has died. We form attachments to movies stars that impact our lives in childhood, and so I mourn his passing.

I was nine years old and already a Bond fan when I saw the trailer for "Live and Let Die" in 1973. As the trailer began, I assumed I would see Sean Connery.

I was surprised and disappointed to see that Connery was not returning to the screen but some new guy.

Why, I wondered, couldn't they just get Connery? I didn't even know about George Lazenby's single turn in the part, in the vastly underrated "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". All I knew, at nine, was that Connery WAS Bond.

Nonetheless, I saw "Live and Let Die" on its opening day in NYC. It was special to New Yorkers, for its opening scenes played out in New York. Bond was in my hometown!

Within the first fifteen minutes of the film, I thought, "Hey, I LIKE this guy!" I enjoyed his charm in the face of adversity. While flirting with Jane Seymour (my first love), Moore is dragged away by two enormous thugs who've been ordered to "waste him."

Moore, over his shoulder as they hustled him out the door, smiles at Seymour, as Solitaire, and says,

"Now, promise me you'll stay right there. I shan't be long."

Only Moore could deliver that line with such charm and mischief. And no other actor, as Bond, ever said "shan't." It sounded strange but cool to my Yank's ears.

Moore also made good use of his modified Submariner, and it sparked my admiration for Rolex. The 14060M pictured is as close as I could get to his Q Branch/Prop Department 5513!

From "Live and Let Die" on, I accepted him totally in the part. He served audiences in the role for seven Bond films. A record, considering each were the real deal: EON Productions, the producer of the franchise. He did them without interruption, argument or complaint.

Other actors have griped about the pay, the filming schedule, the mantle of Bond, the danger of type casting. Some have felt silly in the role. Moore's successor, Timothy Dalton, felt relieved to hang up the PPK and never pose with it again. Maybe it seemed a step down from Shakespeare to him.

Not Moore. He once said he'd keep playing the role as long as audiences wanted him to.

And they did. Today, Moore is the most unappreciated of the Bond actors, it seems. Connery was the first and Craig the most "realistic" and Moore's era, with its humor, is often mocked.

However, while in the role, he owned it, quite an achievement as an actor given the long shadow that Connery casts, to this day, over the role.

Moore was Bond to audiences of the 1970s and into the 1980s, synonymous with the part. The films reflect their times, as all the Bond films do.

Critics turn up their noses at "Moonraker" today, but it was the biggest hit in the series at the time.

Most, however, accept "The Spy Who Loved Me" as a one of the best films in the series, with a perfect blend of action, humor and sex appeal. That film revived 007 (ticket sales had lagged with his second 007 film, "The Man With the Golden Gun") and the film's title song said it all:

Nobody Does it Better.

And the Bond that nobody did it better than was Roger Moore. Fans of the series today that don't care for his interpretation still owe him a debt of gratitude, for his long, successful tenure--and the continuity he provided across seven films and twelve years--grew the series and ensured its continuance.

Moore was the most popular of the Bond actors to the crew. Famous for being easy to work with, he treated the entire crew to a ski vacation in Switzerland after the filming of "The Spy Who Loved Me".

After discovering Moore as Bond, I discovered, in re-runs, "The Saint", a 1960s British production that remains a favorite of mine.

Years, later, my wife introduced me to "The Persuaders", starring Moore and Tony Curtis. The show was a hit in Europe (my wife grew up with it in Denmark) but not in the US. It followed "The Saint" but preceded Moore's Bond films.

While "The Saint", with Moore as Simon Templar, seems like a training ground for the Bond films, Moore's abilities as a comedic actor are utilized with flair in "The Persuaders". It's a gem.

After leaving the series (much to my sadness) in 1985, Moore was the most gracious Bond:

He always said he was the worst and until recently, said Connery was the best Bond. He never said a word in criticism of his successors, Dalton and Pierce Brosnan (whose own interpretation is clearly influenced by Moore and Connery, in equal parts). In recent years, he said Daniel Craig was his favorite Bond, though he expressed concern about the level of violence in the 007 films and movies, generally.

When Craig first got the part, fans and critics were mortified and a lot of cruel comments made. None were made by Moore, who immediately welcomed him to "the family" and was one of the few who accurately predicted Craig would be magnificent and a hit in the part. Craig is just the right Bond for these times, just as Moore was just the right Bond for the '70s-'80s.

Awarded his Knighthood for his charitable efforts on behalf of UNICEF (taking over as Goodwill Ambassador after the death of his friend and neighbor, Audrey Hepburn), Sir Roger became a champion for children.

When I first introduced my daughter, at age 7, to James Bond, it was to Roger Moore. She's seen all the 007 films and Moore is her favorite. I've enjoyed watching these movies with my daughter, just as I enjoyed watching them with my father. We don't do sports in my family.

We are James Bond Fans.

Katie loves that, as Bond, or Templar or Brett Sinclair (in "The Persuaders"), Moore is always such a gentleman and "nice" in the parts.

She hits on something important: there is a kindness about the man that always comes through. From all that I've heard, he was a kind, humble and gracious man.

He was, and will remain, a hero to me.

Nobody does it better.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:51 AM   #7
dorflonni
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub/Exp.II Po
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170523_133854.jpg (71.5 KB, 754 views)
dorflonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:51 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry62 View Post
Thanks!! Roger ...........

Great pic
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:59 AM   #9
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
5513, Live and let die

Roger Moore RIP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (81.9 KB, 741 views)
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Great pic
Thanks my Friend
Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:13 AM   #11
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post

I woke up to the news that Roger Moore has died. We form attachments to movies stars that impact our lives in childhood, and so I mourn his passing.

I was nine years old and already a Bond fan when I saw the trailer for "Live and Let Die" in 1973. As the trailer began, I assumed I would see Sean Connery.

I was surprised and disappointed to see that Connery was not returning to the screen but some new guy.

Why, I wondered, couldn't they just get Connery? I didn't even know about George Lazenby's single turn in the part, in the vastly underrated "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". All I knew, at nine, was that Connery WAS Bond.

Nonetheless, I saw "Live and Let Die" on its opening day in NYC. It was special to New Yorkers, for its opening scenes played out in New York. Bond was in my hometown!

Within the first fifteen minutes of the film, I thought, "Hey, I LIKE this guy!" I enjoyed his charm in the face of adversity. While flirting with Jane Seymour (my first love), Moore is dragged away by two enormous thugs who've been ordered to "waste him."

Moore, over his shoulder as they hustled him out the door, smiles at Seymour, as Solitaire, and says,

"Now, promise me you'll stay right there. I shan't be long."

Only Moore could deliver that line with such charm and mischief. And no other actor, as Bond, ever said "shan't." It sounded strange but cool to my Yank's ears.

Moore also made good use of his modified Submariner, and it sparked my admiration for Rolex. The 14060M pictured is as close as I could get to his Q Branch/Prop Department 5513!

From "Live and Let Die" on, I accepted him totally in the part. He served audiences in the role for seven Bond films. A record, considering each were the real deal: EON Productions, the producer of the franchise. He did them without interruption, argument or complaint.

Other actors have griped about the pay, the filming schedule, the mantle of Bond, the danger of type casting. Some have felt silly in the role. Moore's successor, Timothy Dalton, felt relieved to hang up the PPK and never pose with it again. Maybe it seemed a step down from Shakespeare to him.

Not Moore. He once said he'd keep playing the role as long as audiences wanted him to.

And they did. Today, Moore is the most unappreciated of the Bond actors, it seems. Connery was the first and Craig the most "realistic" and Moore's era, with its humor, is often mocked.

However, while in the role, he owned it, quite an achievement as an actor given the long shadow that Connery casts, to this day, over the role.

Moore was Bond to audiences of the 1970s and into the 1980s, synonymous with the part. The films reflect their times, as all the Bond films do.

Critics turn up their noses at "Moonraker" today, but it was the biggest hit in the series at the time.

Most, however, accept "The Spy Who Loved Me" as a one of the best films in the series, with a perfect blend of action, humor and sex appeal. That film revived 007 (ticket sales had lagged with his second 007 film, "The Man With the Golden Gun") and the film's title song said it all:

Nobody Does it Better.

And the Bond that nobody did it better than was Roger Moore. Fans of the series today that don't care for his interpretation still owe him a debt of gratitude, for his long, successful tenure--and the continuity he provided across seven films and twelve years--grew the series and ensured its continuance.

Moore was the most popular of the Bond actors to the crew. Famous for being easy to work with, he treated the entire crew to a ski vacation in Switzerland after the filming of "The Spy Who Loved Me".

After discovering Moore as Bond, I discovered, in re-runs, "The Saint", a 1960s British production that remains a favorite of mine.

Years, later, my wife introduced me to "The Persuaders", starring Moore and Tony Curtis. The show was a hit in Europe (my wife grew up with it in Denmark) but not in the US. It followed "The Saint" but preceded Moore's Bond films.

While "The Saint", with Moore as Simon Templar, seems like a training ground for the Bond films, Moore's abilities as a comedic actor are utilized with flair in "The Persuaders". It's a gem.

After leaving the series (much to my sadness) in 1985, Moore was the most gracious Bond:

He always said he was the worst and until recently, said Connery was the best Bond. He never said a word in criticism of his successors, Dalton and Pierce Brosnan (whose own interpretation is clearly influenced by Moore and Connery, in equal parts). In recent years, he said Daniel Craig was his favorite Bond, though he expressed concern about the level of violence in the 007 films and movies, generally.

When Craig first got the part, fans and critics were mortified and a lot of cruel comments made. None were made by Moore, who immediately welcomed him to "the family" and was one of the few who accurately predicted Craig would be magnificent and a hit in the part. Craig is just the right Bond for these times, just as Moore was just the right Bond for the '70s-'80s.

Awarded his Knighthood for his charitable efforts on behalf of UNICEF (taking over as Goodwill Ambassador after the death of his friend and neighbor, Audrey Hepburn), Sir Roger became a champion for children.

When I first introduced my daughter, at age 7, to James Bond, it was to Roger Moore. She's seen all the 007 films and Moore is her favorite. I've enjoyed watching these movies with my daughter, just as I enjoyed watching them with my father. We don't do sports in my family.

We are James Bond Fans.

Katie loves that, as Bond, or Templar or Brett Sinclair (in "The Persuaders"), Moore is always such a gentleman and "nice" in the parts.

She hits on something important: there is a kindness about the man that always comes through. From all that I've heard, he was a kind, humble and gracious man.

He was, and will remain, a hero to me.

Nobody does it better.
Well said!

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:15 AM   #12
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300

RIP Roger Moore.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:19 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Don't have a good shot of my mk3 5513, but here's to you Roger:

RIP.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:19 AM   #14
nick c
Banned

Rip Roger Moore 007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5159.jpg (80.9 KB, 706 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:28 AM   #15
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollister View Post

rip roger moore.
+1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0629.jpg (99.3 KB, 692 views)
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:29 AM   #16
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:31 AM   #17
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
Well said!

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:33 AM   #18
Fernandezk
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fernandezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:34 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For Your Eyes Only was my first, he was always my Bond. RIP Sir.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:42 AM   #20
Tonyfsu21
Banned

#Boss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2433.jpg (73.6 KB, 592 views)
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:44 AM   #21
Fernandezk
"TRF" Member

Fernandezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:13 AM   #22
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

RIP, Roger.

TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:23 AM   #23
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX

~ Rest In Peace ~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100692.JPG (82.3 KB, 538 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:43 AM   #24
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN

Rest In Peace, Roger.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:46 AM   #25
pw98
"TRF" Member

Rip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (82.7 KB, 520 views)
pw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:52 AM   #26
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

You'll be missed, Roger.

Sent from my cracked, broken, hand wound Phone
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:55 AM   #27
toneafficianado

Many thanks to Lew Archer ,above ,for a brilliant write up of Roger!
i also was a huge fan.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:00 AM   #28
faldoc
"TRF" Member

Watched him since The Saint...
RIP, Sir Roger...

faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:11 AM   #29
THC

Watch: 16610M
Posted this on the RIP thread too, but check out his buzz saw bezel Sub in below link..
Did not even tell time, lol

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...eid=c5724cb941

And here is my tribute
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0338.jpg (89.7 KB, 476 views)
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:11 AM   #30
FTX I
"TRF" Member

RIP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03143.JPG (286.9 KB, 479 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote