The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 May 2017, 06:58 AM   #1
Chrono_lando
"TRF" Member

BLNR or White Daytona C???

Here is a tough one TRF!!!

Situation: You already own a BLNR. You are next up on the list for the . You can only choose one...would you sell the BLNR to get the ? Or keep the BLNR and pass on the ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chrono_lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 07:41 AM   #2
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
get the daytona.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 07:47 AM   #3
maxutil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Daytona. Worst case you can sell it for a profit and rebuy the BLNR.
maxutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 07:57 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutil View Post
Correct...although I actually favor the blnr as one and only watch...you have to decide for yourself.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Have them both. Blnr and white dial. I also had the black dial from August until late last year.

Daytona is a hype machine.

Try it on before you sell your blnr. The Daytona looks dainty and sort of effeminate. Which sucks because the dial is beautiful. The lugs are too svelte, it sits too flat to the wrist, and I wouldn't be surprised if the true measurement was 38mm. There is no way that my subs, gmt, etc., and the Daytona are the same diameter. I think it's because of the lugs and bezel that it looks so much smaller than everything else in the sports lineup.

Anyway, you may get inundated with pictures with close up pictures of Daytonas that make it look like it has significant wrist presence.

I'll save you some suspense ... it doesn't. It looks small on the wrist. Close up pics under cuffs, holding the steering wheels of exotic cars, and other expertly posed and manly themed pics, notwithstanding

Don't make the same mistake I did. Wear it first. Google "Daytona too small" and check out the myriad threads about people getting Daytonas only later to find out that it looks like a women's watch that they could never get used to.

And "women's watch" isn't my choice of words. I counted four or five different instances on these forums that that's the term that was used to characterize it.

Even one of the primary Daytona advocates on this forum has a thread from 2014 saying that it wears small and they wouldn't be a fan if not for the history.

Again, everyone else is going to tell you that its the most happening thing since sex and while I am under no delusion that my lonely post will balance out the parade of adulation that the watch receives, hopefully it will at least get you thinking enough to research outside the hype.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
Have them both. Blnr and white dial. I also had the black dial from August until late last year.

Try it on before you sell you blnr. It looks dainty and sort of effeminate. You're about to get inundated with pictures with close up pictures of Daytonas that make it look like it has significant wrist presence.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Wear it first. Google "Daytona too small" and check out the myriad threads about people getting Daytonas only later to find out that it looks like a women's watch that they could never get used to.

Even one of the primary Daytona advocates on this forum has a thread from 2014 saying that it wears small and they wouldn't be a fan if not for the history.

Again, everyone else is going to tell you that its the most happening thing since sex and while I am under no delusion that my lonely post will balance out the parade of adulation that the watch receives, hopefully it will at least get you thinking enough to research outside the hype.

Yowza, is it your opinion that every Daytona is dead wrong for every human being with a Y chromosome? Or does wrist size and personal preference play any role whatsoever?
Old 25 May 2017, 08:10 AM   #7
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:

Try it on before you sell your blnr. The Daytona looks dainty and sort of effeminate. Which sucks because the dial is beautiful. The lugs are too svelte, it sits too flat to the wrist, and I wouldn't be surprised if the true measurement was 38mm. There is no way that my subs, gmt, etc., and the Daytona are the same diameter. I think it's because of the lugs and bezel that it looks so much smaller than everything else in the sports lineup.

Anyway, you may get inundated with pictures with close up pictures of Daytonas that make it look like it has significant wrist presence.

I'll save you some suspense ... it doesn't. It looks small on the wrist. Close up pics under cuffs, holding the steering wheels of exotic cars, and other expertly posed and manly themed pics, notwithstanding

Don't sugarcoat it tell us how you really feel

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:13 AM   #8
PatagoniaDan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And "women's watch" isn't my choice of words. I counted four or five different instances on these forums that that's the term that was used to characterize it.

Let me translate for TS.

"Try it on, then decide"
PatagoniaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:13 AM   #9
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Yowza, is it your opinion that every Daytona is dead wrong for every human being with a Y chromosome? Or does wrist size and personal preference play any role whatsoever?
Not sure, but I don't think he's very far off in his comments (least I didn't take it that way). The Daytona does wear small and measures smaller than 40mm width.....in fact the watch does really look good for my wife.....who has just a tad smaller wrist than myself. I'm not blessed with huge wrists to pull off monster divers so I think the Daytona is pretty proportional for me (6.375-6.5" myself). That said, I see people with larger wrists rockin a Daytona just fine like me wearing a 36mm Explorer....so it's all perspective and like you said preference. The hype is extremely real though for the Daytona.....

P.S. Want a Daytona that wears bigger? Go with the black on black 116500.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:14 AM   #10
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutil View Post

this is probably your best bet...

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Not sure, but I don't think he's very far off in his comments (least I didn't take it that way). The Daytona does wear small and measures smaller than 40mm width.....in fact the watch does really really good for my wife.....who has just a tad smaller wrist than myself. I'm not blessed with huge wrists to pull off monster divers so I think the Daytona is pretty proportional for me (6.375-6.5" myself). That said, I see people with larger wrists rockin a Daytona just fine like me wearing a 36mm Explorer....so it's all perspective and like you said preference. The hype is extremely real though for the Daytona.....

I have to agree with these gents. The idea of a ceramic Daytona is great, but I would stick with the BLNR.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:20 AM   #12
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Yes. Absolutely. It comes down to personal preference and how you like to wear your watch. As I said in my amended post, I wish that I would have maybe done some research before buying the white dial. I bought the black too because I figured that it would wear larger. To an extent it does. But the dimensions are still the dimensions. I have a 7.25 wrist and it doesn't work for me. So I sold the black and the white is a gen 1 in the safety deposit box for a rainy day and hopefully appreciation that outpaces inflation.

It's a beautiful watch. Don't get me wrong. But I think that some will be unpleasantly surprised and disappointed once they get it home. So I'm usually the Lone Ranger saying that people should google wear experiences with the Daytona before taking the plunge. There is no balance when it comes to this watch. It's all adulation and I think gives a false impression that the Daytona is a good fit for everyone's wrist. That is taking nothing away from it aesthetically. If it was a little taller and another inch or two in diameter, it would be a keeper for me.

But then, it wouldn't be a Daytona now would it.
Old 25 May 2017, 08:25 AM   #13
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Not sure, but I don't think he's very far off in his comments (least I didn't take it that way). The Daytona does wear small and measures smaller than 40mm width.....in fact the watch does really really good for my wife.....who has just a tad smaller wrist than myself. I'm not blessed with huge wrists to pull off monster divers so I think the Daytona is pretty proportional for me (6.375-6.5" myself). That said, I see people with larger wrists rockin a Daytona just fine like me wearing a 36mm Explorer....so it's all perspective and like you said preference. The hype is extremely real though for the Daytona.....

Absolutely.

Thank you. I thought it was just me. I knew there was no way 40mm was accurate for a Daytona after wearing it back to back with my other sports models.
Old 25 May 2017, 08:25 AM   #14
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I'd get a Daytona.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:26 AM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Tough one
Old 25 May 2017, 08:29 AM   #16
Chiefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Some epic replies. Hats off for honesty.
My snap decision would be the Daytona, but would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:40 AM   #17
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

i have owned both and kept the daytona, but I must have dainty wrists and like women's watches according to dusk popov! Isn't life about variety? All good to me to have watches that wear differently
Old 25 May 2017, 09:12 AM   #18
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
I had a 116520 in black and I have a 7 3/4 wrist it did wear small for me but that's not why I sold it I had the black and had tremendous difficulty reading the time in low light I certainly would consider the Daytona C in white much more legible from my standpoint and I'm a big fan of the black ceramic against the white that being said the BLNR is a pretty fantastic piece also for significantly less money just my 2 cents.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:18 AM   #19
Maverick686
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
One and only watch: GMT BLNR.
Maverick686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:21 AM   #20
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC, 16710B

Quote:

To each their own.

OP, it's probably best if you have the option to try one on before making a decision.

rpl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:23 AM   #21
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

If u can get the new Daytona now at MSRP, it's no brainer.

What's BNIB Daytona going for in re-sale market? About $4k over Msrp?

Worst case scenario is u get the Daytona...don't like it...and sell it for nice $profit...and get another BLnR.
Old 25 May 2017, 09:26 AM   #22
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Keep the BLNR and wait for the Daytona C to eventually drop to a more realistic price.
BUT, if you can get the Daytona C at MSRP, different answer from me.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:29 AM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Which do you have need of...a chronograph or a GMT function?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:30 AM   #24
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Daytona Nooooo questionnnn :)
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:30 AM   #25
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

The important question is: how much do you like your BLNR? If it feels just blah to you having owned and worn it , then go for the Daytona. If it is a "perfect" fit and you adore it, then pass on the Daytona and get it when you can afford to own both. Personally I passed on a BLNR and got a Daytona C , which is as near a perfect fit for me as a six digit Rolex gets. The BLNR and SubC are just a bit clunky on my 6.75 inch wrist (I own a SubC). The Daytona looks plenty manly and in no way looks awkwardly small. I love that it is prob 39mm rather than 40mm. You have to remember to take all the strong willed opinions on this forum with a grain of salt, and strap the watch to your wrist to decide which feels right to you. And If you aren't sure, try it on again and again and again. $12,400 is no small purchase after all. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 09:42 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

and can you loose the date function?
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Which do you have need of...a chronograph or a GMT function?
Old 25 May 2017, 11:07 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Safe bet is the Daytona, then if you don't like it you can sell it here to one of your TRF brothers for the same price you paid so you lose nothing and then buy the BLNR... you handsome devil, you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #28
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono_lando View Post
Here is a tough one TRF!!!

Situation: You already own a BLNR. You are next up on the list for the . You can only choose one...would you sell the BLNR to get the ? Or keep the BLNR and pass on the ?

A very famous and accomplished NFL head coach once was famously quoted as saying 'if you're thinking of retirement then you are retired'.

If you're thinking of moving on from the BLNR then you have moved on from the BLNR.

Welcome to Daytona World. If you're worried about size (you shouldn't be) get the black one, it looks larger.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 11:58 AM   #29
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC, 16710B

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post

A very famous and accomplished NFL head coach once was famously quoted as saying 'if you're thinking of retirement then you are retired'.

If you're thinking of moving on from the BLNR then you have moved on from the BLNR.

Welcome to Daytona World. If you're worried about size (you shouldn't be) get the black one, it looks larger.

Love that quote!

I'll have to take your word about the black dial looking larger as I have yet to see one in the wild. Who knows, if my AD calls with a black dial in stock, I may buy it

rpl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 12:13 PM   #30
Sky21
"TRF" Member

1. Sell BLNR
2. Buy Daytona C White dial at MSRP
3. Flip Daytona C White
4. Buy BNIB BLNR
5. Pocket $3k profit
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags