The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 5 December 2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Daniel-san

Watch: Yachtmaster
Technical topic? One main?

Dear admin,

Thank you for an exellent forum

Is there any technical topic, where people can get answers and learn new things about watches? I haven`t found one MAIN topic, where I can use my technical advises and in the meanwhile learn new things.

(just a suggestion, not a complain.)
Daniel-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Hi Daniel
You raise a very interesting point.
There are 2 principal sub-forums for the discussion of watches:
1. The general rolex Forum;
2. Other non-Rolex watch forum.
Each forum allows all types of topics to be raised relating to technical and non-technical aspect of those 2 categories.
You are welcome to search the forums for technical topics or to start a new technical topic yourself.
You will find that there are quite a lot of technical discussions if you search through the threads.
The nature of this forum is that within the sub-forums there are all sorts of discussions that make them a melting pot for lots of different ideas, questions and discussions.
A new technical sub-forum is something that has been considered. Something like "Rolex & General Horological Discussion" where people can discuss watchmaking, movements, repairs, servicing and other technical matters" might well be something that some might consider a worthy addition to the forum.
I just don't know the level of interest on that technical watchmaking level to know if such a sub-forum would be worthwhile and if so whether it would detract from the quality of discussion on the existing watch sub-forums.
Any opinions or suggestions would be most welcome
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 11:03 PM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
IMHO, erecting a sub forum called "Rolex & General Horological Discussion" would be a VERY good idea!

I would think that this sub forum maybe would be a little "quiet" to start with, but when members have learned of its existance I believe such a sub forum would really hit it off!

Mods could move questions and topics posted in the General Rolex Forum to this sub forum (like done with the WatchOut Forum) and thus create an unwritten rule that "here the questions and posts about technical topics belong - and can be found".

Excellent suggestion, Daniel!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Thanks, for the suggestion, Daniel. As Steve mentioned, the idea had been discussed amongst the mods about six months ago. To cut a long story short, we decided that in the bigger picture, it would be better not to excessively compartmentalise the forum.