The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Have Zenith Daytona prices increased drastically?

I tend to look through the For Sale section daily and it seemed like 6-18 months ago, the 5 series Daytona 16520's sold for $10-13k unless it was a Patrizzi or NOS safe queen.
Now it seems like the stainless 16520's go for the same price as the PM 16528's.
Did I miss something?
Has the ceramic Daytona made them more desireable?
Have recent auction prices drove up the prices?
I understand the love of the Daytona, and share the passion.
But does $20,000 and more seem right for these?
And I don't need any economics replys about supply and demand.
Something weird has happened.
Any thoughts?
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 02:36 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think weird...vintage Daytona been following same pattern too.....the Paul Newman drive lately will only continue to drive the prices up imo.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 08:29 PM   #3
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
There are not making any more 16520 Zenith Daytona's and finding them in good condition is harder and harder!

You add the fact that it has a Zenith movement. Kinda ups the value. Plus all of the variations that this run had, with floating dial , porcelain dial, invert 6, A &P serial being the last, 225 bezel s makes them rather collectible.

The think people are finally giving the Zenith Daytona it's due. And I only seeing them going north.

Take a look at plastic Daytona's, these even 6263 non Newman Daytona's are in $40k mark. I see in my crystal ball the 16520 Zenith goring this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 08:31 PM   #4
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by David cote View Post

Take a look at plastic Daytona's, these even 6263 non Newman Daytona's are in $40k mark. I see in my crystal ball the 16520 Zenith goring this way.

the '"plastic" non Newman 6263s, as you describe them, have been going for a lot more than $40K for a very long time now.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 08:49 PM   #5
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
the '"plastic" non Newman 6263s, as you describe them, have been going for a lot more than $40K for a very long time now.

Yes you are right !

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 11:12 PM   #6
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
The Daytona C seems to have pushed the whole steel Daytona market into a tizzy. Prices on the C outside of MSRP are crazy. Its predecessor's prices are mostly crazy because it isn't being made anymore and then the Zenith's are old enough that they are getting a bit harder to come by. It makes sense they will be next Daytona to really soar. I think most of this comes from the fact that all the plastic Daytona's are now really insane money and good Zeniths are still relatively affordable. Good condition steel Daytona's are like Porsche 911's and Mercedes SL's it is not a matter of if but when they eventually start appreciating.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 12:12 AM   #7
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It's not just SS. I see all Zenith Daytonas edging up.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2017, 05:01 AM   #8
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I don't think weird...vintage Daytona been following same pattern too.....the Paul Newman drive lately will only continue to drive the prices up imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David cote View Post
There are not making any more 16520 Zenith Daytona's and finding them in good condition is harder and harder!

You add the fact that it has a Zenith movement. Kinda ups the value. Plus all of the variations that this run had, with floating dial , porcelain dial, invert 6, A &P serial being the last, 225 bezel s makes them rather collectible.

The think people are finally giving the Zenith Daytona it's due. And I only seeing them going north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post
The Daytona C seems to have pushed the whole steel Daytona market into a tizzy. Prices on the C outside of MSRP are crazy. Its predecessor's prices are mostly crazy because it isn't being made anymore and then the Zenith's are old enough that they are getting a bit harder to come by. It makes sense they will be next Daytona to really soar. I think most of this comes from the fact that all the plastic Daytona's are now really insane money and good Zeniths are still relatively affordable. Good condition steel Daytona's are like Porsche 911's and Mercedes SL's it is not a matter of if but when they eventually start appreciating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
It's not just SS. I see all Zenith Daytonas edging up.
Agree with all the statement above.....^^^...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I tend to look through the For Sale section daily and it seemed like 6-18 months ago, the 5 series Daytona 16520's sold for $10-13k unless it was a Patrizzi or NOS safe queen.
Now it seems like the stainless 16520's go for the same price as the PM 16528's.
Did I miss something?
Has the ceramic Daytona made them more desireable?
Have recent auction prices drove up the prices?
I understand the love of the Daytona, and share the passion.
But does $20,000 and more seem right for these?
And I don't need any economics replys about supply and demand.
Something weird has happened.
Any thoughts?
You could read my recap post on the information & analysis of the last month thread regarding all the Daytona with the 5 Digit Reference gaining value... SS, TT, & PM... @ the bottom of my original quote.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
You proud owner, and especially to the original owner....

Look like all the Daytona with the 5 Digit Reference gaining value... SS, TT, & PM......

Yes, even the TT.......

Just check some of the old price list per year & compare to the preowned of the same year.....

For example.....

In 1994 you could buy a brand new....

SS Daytona for retail @ $4,000 with 1 year waiting list or gray market @ $5,000-$5,500

TT Daytona for retail @ $7,000

PM Daytona for retail @ $18,000

VS

Same year preowned today for a ok to mint condition......

SS Daytona with out paper @ $12,000 plus or $15,000 plus with box & paper....

TT Daytona with out paper @ $8,000 or under $10,000 with box & paper...

PM Daytona with out paper @ $18,000 to $20,000 or $25,000 to $28,000 with box & paper......

another example......

Final year for the 5 Digit Reference brand new in 1999....

SS Daytona for retail @ $5,100 with 2 year waiting list or gray market @ $6,500-$7,500

TT Daytona for retail @ $9,050

PM Daytona for retail @ $20,195

VS

Same year preowned today for a ok to mint condition......

SS Daytona with out paper @ $14,000 plus or $17,000 plus with box & paper....

TT Daytona around $9,000 to $11,000 with box & paper...

PM Daytona around $20,000 to $25,000 with box & paper......

Notice: My source maybe different form your so don't flame me.........

Now for the fun, post some pictures of your beloved Daytona 5 Digit Reference SS, TT, and PM......

Look like all the Daytona with the 5 Digit Reference gaining value.....

Click the above link to read the full thread...^^^...

Regarding the stainless 16520 go for the same price as the PM 16528 is very doubtful for the same condition...

I search the Rolex forum today and this came up.....

SS 16520 complete set with box & paper excellent condition @ the price of $19,500 https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=541398

VS

PM 16528 with box and papers look to be unpolish condition @ the price of $26,000 https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=541701

I guess the PM 16528 will always cost more than the SS 16520.... PM is more rare than SS in today market.......

The price got a lot to do with the condition & if it have the correct complete full set....

As for now, the BEST buy is the TT 16523, which it at the reasonable price but still you could get a TT 116523 for the same price or a little more money.....

Hope this help.......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 04:03 AM   #9
clindema
"TRF" Member

I got a question here: I own a SS 16520 A Series Daytona with Zenith movement. Bought it here in Switzerland for retail price of CHF 6600 and have box and papers obviously. Runs like a charm and in good condition. So question here: went to Rolex shop and asked about getting the watch serviced. They would take it apart and check movement etc but they would also polish it and change bezel if I wanted that.... so I am unsure if for this watch I should rather just let them do the movement check etc and no polish? What is your view how that would impact value? THX!
clindema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 04:21 AM   #10
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by clindema View Post
I got a question here: I own a SS 16520 A Series Daytona with Zenith movement. Bought it here in Switzerland for retail price of CHF 6600 and have box and papers obviously. Runs like a charm and in good condition. So question here: went to Rolex shop and asked about getting the watch serviced. They would take it apart and check movement etc but they would also polish it and change bezel if I wanted that.... so I am unsure if for this watch I should rather just let them do the movement check etc and no polish? What is your view how that would impact value? THX!
No polish & no changing parts.....

Just service the movement.......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 06:24 PM   #11
fmc000
Banned

I can speak for my personal experience.

I bought a 16523 almost for years ago from a retailer, serviced and with a one year guarantee, for 6900€.

As it was now in need of another service, winding was stiff and it began to lose time, I sold it to a different retailer for 8900€; so I made 2K in four years, enjoying the watch every single day.

Now the same retailer is selling my watch for 11500€, after a full service and with a two years guarantee.

To me it seems the price for every Zenith model is going up.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 07:16 PM   #12
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

The Zenith's started really moving at the beginning of the year. I know a dealer who said that you could find the 16520s for under 10k pretty easily a year ago and now they are 2x. Black dials are especially expensive. I inquired for kicks from a European Dealer about a NOS black dial 16520. Not the floating cosmograph. Asking 75k. Pretty outrageous even at ask and I'm sure you could do much better, but the demand for these isn't going down.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 08:41 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post
But would doubt if any Daytona made from 2000 on will ever see the prices of the vintage Daytona considering the price of Daytona bought back then.And IMHO anyone paying crazy prices for a slither of ceramic and slight different dial style on the Daytona C must be sixpence short of a shilling .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 09:21 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have no idea, but can say with categorical confidence, Yes.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 09:38 PM   #15
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I just did a search query within the classified section on "16520" and this is what came up. Again, listing price is one thing, where the watches actually clear is something else.

https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=18427375
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 10:51 PM   #16
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Yes they have, even the tt Zeniths are making crazy money these days. I could have picked up a tt model for 6k only 3 or 4 yrs ago. These days 10-11k is the norm.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 11:00 PM   #17
whizz
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Last Master
TT zenith was still at bargain a few months ago, I got one myself complete set 16523 white dial with inverted 6 from a trusted local seller here
whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #18
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But would doubt if any Daytona made from 2000 on will ever see the prices of the vintage Daytona considering the price of Daytona bought back then.And IMHO anyone paying crazy prices for a slither of ceramic and slight different dial style on the Daytona C must be sixpence short of a shilling .
I think you're being shortsighted. 40-50 years from now anything can happen. The world population would have grown by 30-40%, fewer of these modern watches will exist. So fewer watches and potential for higher demand equates to higher prices.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 02:46 AM   #19
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
I think you're being shortsighted. 40-50 years from now anything can happen. The world population would have grown by 30-40%, fewer of these modern watches will exist. So fewer watches and potential for higher demand equates to higher prices.
Or, you know, we may all be wearing health-tracking bands by that point and wristwatches will be about as desirable as pocketwatches are today. Who knows??
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 05:14 AM   #20
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Its part of the legend and it is just getting worse!

After reading an article on the Paul Newman Paul Newman that I shared with my father he is now showing interest in a getting a Daytona. I have been talking about one for years and finally got one in June and none of that kindled the fire. The article did though...I think it has nothing at all to do with supply and demand it is just has been and continues to be a cool watch to own. The recent release of the Daytona C followed by the recent auction have just fed fuel to an already hot burning fire.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 10:17 AM   #21
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Feels good to be part of the elite crowd wearing a Daytona.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:44 PM   #22
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Really want to add a 16528 “inverted 6” .. the one I am looking at is without paper.. but reasonable price in unpolished mint condition. I am wondering should I? Any advise?

Asking price is around usd31k.. full links (13 links) no stretch, the watch looks sharp and original tritium dial and hands.

Thank you v much and please note I am a rookie in the vintage world market.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #23
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
November 2017 is when prices started to jump from the 10-13k range into the upper teens. I was watching closely and missed a few opportunities at that time.

The 16520 has been high teens (non-full set) well into the upper 20s full set for a while. Seems like a gateway drug into the 4 digit Daytona’s ⌚️.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 11:14 PM   #24
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
November 2017 is when prices started to jump from the 10-13k range into the upper teens. I was watching closely and missed a few opportunities at that time.

The 16520 has been high teens (non-full set) well into the upper 20s full set for a while. Seems like a gateway drug into the 4 digit Daytona’s ⌚️.
And that is for one in so so condition. Try finding a super mint unpolished one for that price and let me know how you do! Finding them in true collector condition is the hard part forget the price. Every one for sale out there that I see is mediocre at best for my taste.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:33 AM   #25
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
And that is for one in so so condition. Try finding a super mint unpolished one for that price and let me know how you do! Finding them in true collector condition is the hard part forget the price. Every one for sale out there that I see is mediocre at best for my taste.
Agreed, finding one in collector condition is hard and very expensive.

I stopped looking, bought a 116520 mint as well as both black and white 116500s and called it a day. At this point, all three probably are similar in price point to a collector grade 16520.

I love the 16520 and know it will continue to climb in value in the years to come. However, a true collector grade piece won't see as much wrist time in my world. Its hard (for me) to justify what they cost when I know the true enjoyment will be had wearing it and letting it show signs of wear, versus being a piece that sits in the safe.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:40 AM   #26
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Really want to add a 16528 “inverted 6” .. the one I am looking at is without paper.. but reasonable price in unpolished mint condition. I am wondering should I? Any advise?

Asking price is around usd31k.. full links (13 links) no stretch, the watch looks sharp and original tritium dial and hands.

Thank you v much and please note I am a rookie in the vintage world market.

I think you want “advice.” For what it’s worth, I would “advise” you to buy what appeals to you...buy what you want to wear on your wrist instead of whether or not a 6 is inverted or lying on its backside.

If you are truly a rookie...spend considerable time learning about the pros and cons of owning vintage. Are you ready to seek out indie watchmakers to do your repair work, etc.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 12:44 AM   #27
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
The TT Zeniths are the only ones that kind of remained the same before the arrival of the ceramic.

The SS is becoming untouchable now.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:45 AM   #28
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
So lucky to have bought my 16520 when I did. Had been watching the market for a while trying to decide between a 116520 or 16520. Ultimately decided upon a black 16520 and began my search. Ended up getting mine from DavidSW the second I saw the posting in Feb 2016 for just under $10k. A month later the 116500 came out and the rest is history...

TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:49 AM   #29
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I have a seen 16520 take 6-12 months also...at half the price of the 4 digits they are a relative bargain. But most have been overpolished and ruined or newer bezels
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:50 AM   #30
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Sorry I have seen them take 6-12 months to sell
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote