The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2019, 06:39 AM   #1
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Speedmaster Hodinkee - Input Wanted

Got a call from an OB last week that they have an I allocated Hodinkee Speedmaster. At first I told them no but that I would stop in and take a look. In pictures I thought it was cool but was so-so about it overall. When I saw it in person though I was really drawn to the colors and playfulness of it...different than most watches. I’m not sure where it would fit in with my collection but can’t seem to convince myself I don’t want it.

Looking for people’s thoughts about this one, especially owners.

Thoughts would certainly be appreciated.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I think it’s all about test, but all those colors make it look too busy, and compare to the MK40 which is is supposed to be an Homage to, I would rather get the original MK40. That said, it is a nice watch, but a little over priced.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I agree with the above, however there are only 500 of these. If you decide it’s not for you, I suspect you could bail out with no/minimal loss.

For me, if I had doubts I just wouldn’t buy it personally. I quite like it but prefer the panda CK in that case size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 05:57 PM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

As I posted recently elsewhere, to me this watch is an absolute demonstration of what is wrong in the watch industry and with watch collecting today.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 11:01 PM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
This watch in today's market only gets attention because of "le" and hodinkee special...if this watch sat in a case with all other Speedmasters, I doubt anyone would buy it. Personally I think this is a very unattractive watch and would not buy it regardless of worth or value, I just can't imagine looking at it on my wrist.
If you really like it and it appeals to you, then go for it.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 04:14 AM   #6
simbal
"TRF" Member

it is interesting to see that people either like it or don't because of the "Hodinkee" connection (for obvious reasons). The watch itself if we ignore the connection for a while, it is still a polarizing piece, you either like it or not. I suspect it is not someone's first Omega or finer watch, more than likely becomes part of a collection. limited numbers along however, could make the future of this watch interesting. Also who knows, whether you like Hodinkee or not, they may become even larger and more prominent in this hobby......
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 04:20 AM   #7
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I pulled the trigger after seeing one in person. I didn't think I would like it based on photos but that changed when I saw it at my OB. Just as it was previously mentioned, it's LE 500 so if you decide it's not for you then you should be able to get out of it pretty easily with minimal damage or possibly even making a little.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 06:30 AM   #8
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbal View Post
it is interesting to see that people either like it or don't because of the "Hodinkee" connection (for obvious reasons).

My dislike for this watch has nothing to do with Hodinkee, or even with the look of it. At its core, this watch is a bit ludicrous.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 06:39 AM   #9
simbal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
My dislike for this watch has nothing to do with Hodinkee, or even with the look of it. At its core, this watch is a bit ludicrous.
I hear you

But then again when I heard "ludicrous mode" from Tesla, I thought to myself, that is ludicrous! And Tesla owners seem to like the mode.... LOL

Great to be consumers today, we have so many options! Except for SS Rolex models.
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 07:18 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I have one. It looks MUCH better in person. The colors are not overwhelming. I prefer to be a bit different sometimes as the standard speedie is a dimeadoz

I’d also echo the obvious / there’s no risk to trying it (probably) so why not take it for a test drive
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 09:39 AM   #11
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I have one. It looks MUCH better in person. The colors are not overwhelming. I prefer to be a bit different sometimes as the standard speedie is a dimeadoz

I’d also echo the obvious / there’s no risk to trying it (probably) so why not take it for a test drive
Yeah, when the manager at my OB called to say she had one I went there with no intention to buy it but I was thinking it would be my only chance to see one in person.

Like ap1 said, it really is MUCH nicer in person. It's unlike anything in my collection and although a little quirky I have fun wearing it.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 10:31 PM   #12
DonnieD
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of em
So, (sgfortino) did you pick it up? I think it's a great looking piece. Just my .02 cents :)

Don in Chicago
DonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 12:23 AM   #13
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
I find it unattractive. As mentioned above, too many colors playing off of each other. Seems like a mess to me.
Old 13 March 2019, 01:44 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 09:14 AM   #15
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I haven’t picked it up yet. I wasn’t in the market for another watch as I just bought two others as well but I’m still torn. Agree that in person it’s so much better. I also already have a Speedmaster 60th in my collection.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote