The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 January 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Buyers Etiquitte

I have been viewing TRF for years but am finally now in a position to purchase my first Rolex and want to know the proper etiquitte when buying. For those of you who are experienced buyers on the forum please give me some advice on do’s and dont’s, the best way to be a good buyer, how to ensure a safe transaction (avoid being scammed), etc. If you were to start over and kept all your current knowledge of the Rolex and other watch markets, what would you do differently to start out, or what do you wish you had known before?

I have found several watches from reputable sellers that are on my short list but can never seem to pull the trigger because I am hesitant to make such a large purchase online for the first time.

Thanks in advance for the advice, I hope to have a new Rolex within the next month!
Mrmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

If you are viewing this site for years and know of reputable sellers but are still hesitant to pull the trigger on such a large purchase then buying from greys is not for you and you should go directly to your AD.
There are guys here who have sold thousands of watches to thousands of members with both sides leaving feedback for everyone to read.
If this does not instil confidence in you then I don't think anything will and you should go with AD route.
Take the names of the trusted sellers you refer to and search them in the Who's who/watch out sections and go from there.

I have never bought online before myself but if I lived in the USA I know I have a number of grey dealers that I would not hesitate to contact if I wanted to buy any piece, at any price.
Old 21 January 2019, 11:28 PM   #3
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
+1
Old 22 January 2019, 01:23 AM   #4
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
If you are viewing this site for years and know of reputable sellers but are still hesitant to pull the trigger on such a large purchase then buying from greys is not for you and you should go directly to your AD.
There are guys here who have sold thousands of watches to thousands of members with both sides leaving feedback for everyone to read.
If this does not instil confidence in you then I don't think anything will and you should go with AD route.
Take the names of the trusted sellers you refer to and search them in the Who's who/watch out sections and go from there.

I have never bought online before myself but if I lived in the USA I know I have a number of grey dealers that I would not hesitate to contact if I wanted to buy any piece, at any price.
That’s a fair statement, when you say it like that it seems pretty obvious that I shouldn’t worry as long as the seller has enough feedback.
Old 22 January 2019, 04:55 AM   #5
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
+2
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:53 AM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Cheaper is not always safest. Go a established seller or ad first time. There are many sellers but really to be 100% safe there are 4 or five sellers on the forum that you can safely choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 January 2019, 06:54 AM   #7
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
My advice is to go with an AD, especially for your first purchase.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:58 AM   #8
jfigs82
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv on my left
Buy the seller as much as the timepiece. Call as many references as possible. You’ll be surprised how forthcoming TRF members can be. Call the seller, build a nice rapport, and ask questions. If you even remotely get a bad vibe or something seems off RUN AWAY! Take your time, no need to rush... Good luck!!!

jfigs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:33 PM   #9
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerry View Post
I have been viewing TRF for years but am finally now in a position to purchase my first Rolex and want to know the proper etiquitte when buying. For those of you who are experienced buyers on the forum please give me some advice on do’s and dont’s, the best way to be a good buyer, how to ensure a safe transaction (avoid being scammed), etc. If you were to start over and kept all your current knowledge of the Rolex and other watch markets, what would you do differently to start out, or what do you wish you had known before?

I have found several watches from reputable sellers that are on my short list but can never seem to pull the trigger because I am hesitant to make such a large purchase online for the first time.

Thanks in advance for the advice, I hope to have a new Rolex within the next month!
I think it also depends on what you're buying. Looking for a non-franken vintage Tudor sub? I'd be super hesitant and look for sellers with impeccable reputations. Just looking for a newer Sub no date? Then I think you still need to cautious about who you send money to but you don't need to be concerned about relumed hands, laser corrected cases, swapped movements, etc. A few sellers here have brick and mortar stores where you can go see the watch in person and feel good about the sale. Others take credit cards which offer some protection for you.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:11 AM   #10
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Cheaper is not always safest. Go a established seller or ad first time. There are many sellers but really to be 100% safe there are 4 or five sellers on the forum that you can safely choose from

I assume you are talking about some of the grey dealers who move high volume? Could you name these top 4 or 5 sellers?

Also thanks everyone for the advice and support!
Old 23 January 2019, 03:15 AM   #11
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

Could you guys also answer what is the best way for me to be seen as a good buyer and someone who is trustworthy? I want to begin building my reputation on this site so that I can make more purchases and sales in the future if I want to get into new watches later on.
Also, will the fact that I buy the watch from a reputable seller on TRF make it easier for me to sell on TRF later on even though I still have limited feedback?
Old 23 January 2019, 03:27 AM   #12
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Just be yourself. If you are trustworthy and a good buyer, it will be obvious. Doesn't hurt to ask questions if you have concerns. Buyer and seller need each other, so you can vet the seller a bit too. Buy the seller.
Old 28 February 2019, 03:31 PM   #13
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

I ended up buying an Explorer II 16570 from Erik Szper. I found him to be very reputable and am confident in the watch I received. I won’t even take it off when I sleep now! Glad to be a new Rolex owner and thank you guys for the support/advice.
Old 28 February 2019, 04:07 PM   #14
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I ended up buying an Explorer II 16570 from Erik Szper. I found him to be very reputable and am confident in the watch I received. I won’t even take it off when I sleep now! Glad to be a new Rolex owner and thank you guys for the support/advice.
PICS or it didn't happen!
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 04:18 PM   #15
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
PICS or it didn't happen!
That's a fact!!

Congrats on the new watch. You have bought a great watch.
Did you go with the black or white dial?
Old 1 March 2019, 01:59 AM   #16
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Erik is awesome! Just got a watch from him a few months ago as well.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:02 AM   #17
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable but avoid wasting a seller's time. If you're not getting the answers or customer service your require, move on. Plenty of sellers out there that'd love your business. On your end, be polite and respectful (just as you'd be to anyone in the world) and enjoy your new watch!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 05:07 AM   #18
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

Explorer II

Got the watch and was extremely impressed with condition, seemed like new. I struggled to get a picture that looked good and I could upload due to file size restrictions. Maybe you guys can help with advice on that too? Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9555EC85-7CBF-488B-A326-CD48D4C5D841.jpeg (224.4 KB, 345 views)
Old 9 March 2019, 05:17 AM   #19
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Wiring money to someone you don't know is always a little difficult the first time. Stick with people that have been around or trusted sellers, and you are very unlikely to run into an issue. Some sellers will allow you to paypal which is always a very safe bet, and may be worth the extra cost for a piece of mind. If any other new buyers see this thread, do your homework and don't worry about pulling the trigger too fast. There are no too good to be true Rolex deals, especially with modern watches. Vintage is a little tricky because you may be hunting for a specific year, dial combo and insert.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 08:03 AM   #20
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I use image size app, use the 800x800 setting.
Great looking Explorer!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 07:59 PM   #21
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Got the watch and was extremely impressed with condition, seemed like new. I struggled to get a picture that looked good and I could upload due to file size restrictions. Maybe you guys can help with advice on that too? Lol
Nice watch! I also have an explorer. Goto the app Store and download Imgur. Simply upload post to imgur select hidden instead of public unless you want people to comment on your pics. Than simply copy the post link in app and paste it using that box with the mountain and sun
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 08:55 PM   #22
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 04:46 AM   #23
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Looks like my old 16570!
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 12:32 PM   #24
Mrmerry
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
I use image size app, use the 800x800 setting.
Great looking Explorer!
Just what I was looking for, thanks for the advice!