The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2019, 01:53 PM   #1
dsldsl
"TRF" Member

GS Maintenance & General Questions

I just bought a GS sbga387 as my first luxury watch and have a couple of questions:

Is spring drive less magnetic resistant and can it be demagnetized like a mechanical watch?

How durable as a daily wear is spring drive?

Can I go 5+ years on the maintenance vs 3 years?

Thanks
dsldsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 02:24 PM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsldsl View Post
I just bought a GS sbga387 as my first luxury watch and have a couple of questions:

Is spring drive less magnetic resistant and can it be demagnetized like a mechanical watch.

How durable as a daily wear is spring drive?

Can I go 5+ years on the maintenance vs 3 years?

Thanks
For the purposes of your first two questions, I would say Spring Drive is the same as a mechanical watch. First service is at 5 years.......which is included with your purchase (voucher is in the paperwork).
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 11:06 PM   #3
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
For the purposes of your first two questions, I would say Spring Drive is the same as a mechanical watch. First service is at 5 years.......which is included with your purchase (voucher is in the paperwork).
First service inclusive voucher, is this a "bought international" thing or just in the states? Hopefully its regardless of where bought?
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 11:20 PM   #4
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarjoo View Post
First service inclusive voucher, is this a "bought international" thing or just in the states? Hopefully its regardless of where bought?
I got my GS in Japan, but I assume (I guess I shouldn’t) that the same voucher would be in the back of of all of their manuals. The salesman at the Beverly Hills boutique mentioned the first service being included when I was shopping there, however, he didn’t happen to mention the voucher. My guess would be....anywhere.
Old 8 March 2019, 11:44 PM   #5
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got my GS in Japan, but I assume (I guess I shouldn’t) that the same voucher would be in the back of of all of their manuals. The salesman at the Beverly Hills boutique mentioned the first service being included when I was shopping there, however, he didn’t happen to mention the voucher. My guess would be....anywhere.
I'll have to have a look at the back of my manual then, don't know if there's a voucher lurking in there though. Fingers crossed!

Did your voucher also give an extra year of warranty as a google search seemed to find a thread suggesting that might also be in part of the boutique experience.
Old 8 March 2019, 11:45 PM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll have to have a look at the back of my manual then, don't know if there's a voucher lurking in there though. Fingers crossed!

Did your voucher also give an extra year of warranty as a google search seemed to find a thread suggesting that might also be in part of the boutique experience.
Sorry, it’s not in the manual, but rather the little booklet called “Certificate of Guarantee “. There are two copies in the back called “guarantee repair coupon”
Old 9 March 2019, 12:02 AM   #7
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. Never knew about first service free.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 12:04 AM   #8
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, it’s not in the manual, but rather the little booklet called “Certificate of Guarantee “. There are two copies in the back called “guarantee repair coupon”
Pretty sure I saw some dealer stamped guarantee type paper inside a booklet inside the box. Not sure what that was, need to check again. Will report back.
Old 9 March 2019, 01:00 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, interesting. Just received the Alpinist direct from Seiko USA and the back warranty card was not filled out.... and nothing saying free first service. It does say 1st year worldwide service, 2nd and 3rd year USA only.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 01:26 AM   #10
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Wow, interesting. Just received the Alpinist direct from Seiko USA and the back warranty card was not filled out.... and nothing saying free first service. It does say 1st year worldwide service, 2nd and 3rd year USA only.
We’re talking Grand Seiko
Old 9 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #11
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

I emailed the UK Servicing division for GS regarding the 1st free service, and they've replied with:

"This offer only applies to Grand Seiko and Credor watches that have been purchased from the Seiko Boutique in London."
Old 9 March 2019, 02:30 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

This is what it looks like. No indication as to which countries it applies to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E1B794BF-1281-4903-BE5B-CDC4FCBBFC82.jpeg (253.5 KB, 339 views)
Old 9 March 2019, 07:39 AM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
That just looks like a warranty slip for repair, not a free service voucher.
Old 9 March 2019, 07:56 AM   #14
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The front page of the Certificate of Guarantee tells what the coupon covers.....which describes the service. And I never say free, but rather included.
Old 10 March 2019, 03:15 AM   #15
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
+1. Ad tore the carbon copy out of book to keep. That is for warranty service.

My AD would have def told me if free service. That voucher is clearly for repair during the warranty period.
Old 11 March 2019, 11:34 AM   #16
dsldsl
"TRF" Member

Is it safe to demagnetize a spring drive GS? They use a magnet as part of the braking mechanism.
Old 11 March 2019, 11:41 AM   #17
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Is it safe to demagnetize a spring drive GS? They use a magnet as part of the braking mechanism.
Call them and ask.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 08:52 PM   #18
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
+1. Ad tore the carbon copy out of book to keep. That is for warranty service.

My AD would have def told me if free service. That voucher is clearly for repair during the warranty period.
Mine still contains both copies of the coupon thing that has been shown further up on this thread, but looks to me just to prove the watch is under warranty and eligible for a warranty job versus a free service. The AD didn't take out the "manufacturer copy out" sheet so maybe that's only taken by the factory if the watch goes in for a warranty job.

Mine also has NOT been pre-filled by the AD to show my name or the selling dealer name, though receipts obviously will cover both those things off.
Old 11 March 2019, 11:08 PM   #19
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mine still contains both copies of the coupon thing that has been shown further up on this thread, but looks to me just to prove the watch is under warranty and eligible for a warranty job versus a free service. The AD didn't take out the "manufacturer copy out" sheet so maybe that's only taken by the factory if the watch goes in for a warranty job.

Mine also has NOT been pre-filled by the AD to show my name or the selling dealer name, though receipts obviously will cover both those things off.
I wonder what would happen if you had 2 separate warranty issues during the warranty period...but you used your one coupon?
Old 11 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #20
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if you had 2 separate warranty issues during the warranty period...but you used your one coupon?
A good question indeed however am hoping for ZERO issues so lets hope we never ever have to even use the first one :)

How long is the warranty on these, only 1 year I gather from what the AD told me, but I always thought it'd be two years but not sure where I got that idea from.
Old 11 March 2019, 11:44 PM   #21
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A good question indeed however am hoping for ZERO issues so lets hope we never ever have to even use the first one :)

How long is the warranty on these, only 1 year I gather from what the AD told me, but I always thought it'd be two years but not sure where I got that idea from.
It’s clear that ADs are not giving everyone the same information. The gentleman at the Beverly Hills boutique told me in no uncertain terms that the first service was included at 5 years. I had a length discussion with him as to whether I could wait until later or if it had to be at 5 years. He insisted 5 years. Now, I couldn’t imagine that an independent AD could be offering a Grand Seiko service at no charge (or on their own dime) if it wasn’t sanctioned by Seiko. But at the end of the day, I guess none of us know until the time comes.
Old 11 March 2019, 11:53 PM   #22
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s clear that ADs are not giving everyone the same information. The gentleman at the Beverly Hills boutique told me in no uncertain terms that the first service was included at 5 years. I had a length discussion with him as to whether I could wait until later or if it had to be at 5 years. He insisted 5 years. Now, I couldn’t imagine that an independent AD could be offering a Grand Seiko service at no charge (or on their own dime) if it wasn’t sanctioned by Seiko. But at the end of the day, I guess none of us know until the time comes.
As before, I've emailed the UK servicing wing for Seiko again, this time to ask them how long the international warranty is. Lets see what they come back with! Findings will be reported in due course.
Old 12 March 2019, 12:00 AM   #23
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As before, I've emailed the UK servicing wing for Seiko again, this time to ask them how long the international warranty is. Lets see what they come back with! Findings will be reported in due course.
Thanks, I’d like to hear it. BTW, some other sheet has been detached from my Certificate if Guarantee booklet. I don’t recall what it was or when it was removed.
Old 12 March 2019, 05:54 PM   #24
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, I’d like to hear it. BTW, some other sheet has been detached from my Certificate if Guarantee booklet. I don’t recall what it was or when it was removed.

Response: “The guarantee period is 3 years.”
Old 16 March 2019, 06:52 PM   #25
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Of course not You will kill the system instantly.

I never hear about magnetized SD but if it would be, the accuracy of the watch will be all over the place.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 01:06 AM   #26
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Salesman make up all kind of crap. What matters is what the paperwork says which reads for warranty repair rather than preventative service.
Old 17 March 2019, 01:53 AM   #27
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Salesman make up all kind of crap. What matters is what the paperwork says which reads for warranty repair rather than preventative service.
Understood. Again, what if I have two warranty repairs during the warranty period and have just the one coupon? Would they repair it a second time so long as it was still under warranty, in lieu of a coupon ? If yes, then what is the point if the coupon in the first place?
Old 17 March 2019, 09:00 AM   #28
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Understood. Again, what if I have two warranty repairs during the warranty period and have just the one coupon? Would they repair it a second time so long as it was still under warranty, in lieu of a coupon ? If yes, then what is the point if the coupon in the first place?
Presumably you get a replacement coupon when the watch is returned from repair.
Old 18 March 2019, 04:11 PM   #29
dsldsl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
Of course not You will kill the system instantly.

I never hear about magnetized SD but if it would be, the accuracy of the watch will be all over the place.
I called GS to fimd out and they said I had to send it in if it was magnetized. Anyway, mine is running great.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 30 March 2019, 01:31 PM   #30
Triple Crown
Banned

New to GS Spring Drive — Date Change

Just picked up one of the stainless US limited editions today. Love the watch. However, I note that the date change started at about 11:00 PM. Is that typical of Seiko Spring Drives?
Triple Crown is offline   Reply With Quote