The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2018, 04:30 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Icon17 Re : Incoming - New 2018 Omega Seamaster + Pic & Discussion Thread".

I am very happy to pick up my latest incoming. �� Its the new 2018 Omega Seamaster 300. Used to playing 2nd fiddle to Rolex's mighty Submariner but now no more, thanks to a revamp anti-magnetic in-house Co-axial movement, Metas approved accuracy performance, superbly polished hands and full ceramic bezel with a laser etched ceramic dial. And yes, the watch does lives up to the hype, and even better, at a lower price point. This is a dazzlingly handsome looking watch that is also very well made.

My watch collection hobby ( or addiction ) actually started with an Omega planet ocean as my first "serious" watch and five years late, comes full circle now the all new Omega Seamaster 300. Special mention about the new Omega box, with lacquered wood presentation, Rolex can learn a thing of two from it.

Sharing some pics below :

The 2018 new Omega Seamaster was first announced in Baselworld 2018 and only now the stocks are starting to filter down to ADs and Omega boutiques. I first heard about this watch while watching youtube videos and some bloggers and watch sites are recommending this watch enthusiastically. So I decided to see for myself. My ever helpful AD was kind enough to arrange all three popular choices of the SS 2018 Seamaster 300 model for me to choose, the blue dial which is the classic "Bond" Seamaster, the black dial which is the most versatile though a bit subdue of the three, and the silvery dial which was featured in the latest bond movie.

I end up picking the blue dial. I think it's the nicest of the bunch.

The packaging. Love this box. One of the nicest I have seen.

Some low light shots

Superb Lume

And some daylight shots

This blue ceramic dial truely pops like no other

Going for my morning exercise, just looks brilliant under the sun.

Seriously speaking, this is the probably the nicest Omega watch I have seen ( and owned ) till date. IMHO, and I hope nobody gets upset for me saying this, I think this latest Omega blows the Rolex Submariner out of the water, specs wise or value wise. Rolex still have the name and the value retention but I think one will be tongue tied to try to argue that the Submariner is the better watch against this Omega. It's certainly living up to the hype.

Last edited by HL65; 6 January 2019 at 09:43 PM..
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 04:32 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Great review. Happy you love the watch. Congrats!
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Congrats. It’s a really good watch. I’ve tried both blue and black on and prefer the blue. Have yet to see the grey dial in the flesh however. I agree with you in that it is an awful lot of watch for the money. I’d certainly be hard pushed to shell out the extra £3k for a sub if I was in that situation. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Amazing photos (as usual)!

Many congrats. It surely is a looker, and wonderfully modern.

Personally, I’m really torn between the blue and black.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Excellent photos of a gorgeous watch. Congratulations and thanks for sharing those awesome pics!
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Seriously speaking, this is the probably the nicest Omega watch I have seen ( and owned ) till date. IMHO, and I hope nobody gets upset for me saying this, I think this latest Omega blows the Rolex Submariner out of the water, specs wise or value wise. Rolex still have the name and the value retention but I think one will be tongue tied to try to argue that the Submariner is the better watch against this Omega. It's certainly living up to the hype.[/QUOTE]

Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 10:50 PM   #7
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I am very happy to pick up my latest incoming. �� Its the new 2018 Omega Seamaster 300. Used to playing 2nd fiddle to Rolex's mighty Submariner but now no more, thanks to a revamp anti-magnetic in-house Co-axial movement, Metas approved accuracy performance, superbly polished hands and full ceramic bezel with a laser etched ceramic dial. And yes, the watch does lives up to the hype, and even better, at a lower price point. This is a dazzlingly handsome looking watch that is also very well made.

My watch collection hobby ( or addiction ) actually started with an Omega planet ocean as my first "serious" watch and five years late, comes full circle now the all new Omega Seamaster 300. Special mention about the new Omega box, with lacquered wood presentation, Rolex can learn a thing of two from it.

Sharing some pics below :

The 2018 new Omega Seamaster was first announced in Baselworld 2018 and only now the stocks are starting to filter down to ADs and Omega boutiques. I first heard about this watch while watching youtube videos and some bloggers and watch sites are recommending this watch enthusiastically. So I decided to see for myself. My ever helpful AD was kind enough to arrange all three popular choices of the SS 2018 Seamaster 300 model for me to choose, the blue dial which is the classic "Bond" Seamaster, the black dial which is the most versatile though a bit subdue of the three, and the silvery dial which was featured in the latest bond movie.

I end up picking the blue dial. I think it's the nicest of the bunch.

The packaging. Love this box. One of the nicest I have seen.

Some low light shots

Superb Lume

And some daylight shots

This blue ceramic dial truely pops like no other

Going for my morning exercise, just looks brilliant under the sun.

Seriously speaking, this is the probably the nicest Omega watch I have seen ( and owned ) till date. IMHO, and I hope nobody gets upset for me saying this, I think this latest Omega blows the Rolex Submariner out of the water, specs wise or value wise. Rolex still have the name and the value retention but I think one will be tongue tied to try to argue that the Submariner is the better watch against this Omega. It's certainly living up to the hype.

Ok, this just about tips me over the edge good!! I am ready to run to the boutique today!

Great review and awesome shots as always

This one is so money:

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 10:59 PM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Excellent pics. Really shows off the range of this dial.

In recent history, this Seamaster 300 really seems to be the biggest hit Omega has had. The execution is on point and it’s, rightfully so, received a ton of good press and fanfare.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 11:04 PM   #9
karmatp
"TRF" Member

The box is even way nicer than what you get with Rolex.
Old 21 December 2018, 11:36 PM   #10
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
nice review and photos

no bad choices on the dial - personally I chose the black

you need to add the blue and grey striped omega nato strap as it will look excellent on that watch - I have bought the black with white edges for my watch but not tried it yet

I have had a sub c in the past for 6 years and eventually sold it as I did not really "love" it - may be it was the maxi case - I agree with you that this omega makes a the grey market price of a sub c a bit silly - 3 times the price ? you have to be the most blinkered rolex fan to see value in that

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 12:02 AM   #11
timlaw
"TRF" Member

My black dial just put onto omega nato

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
Old 22 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #12
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Curious to hear your thoughts on the grey dial as I haven't seen many reviews on this dial.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 01:50 AM   #13
bronzeband00
Banned

Pretty detailing review. congrats and wear in good health
bronzeband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 03:10 AM   #14
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful piece. Congrats..
Old 22 December 2018, 03:17 AM   #15
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Just looked at them today in
Person and was very impressed. Rubber was thin but very comfortable.

Couple of questions..
1. Did you consider rubber or was it always going to be bracelet for you?
2. Is this a watch that one can get a discount at a boutique or is it MSRP given its popularity ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 03:27 AM   #16
timlaw
"TRF" Member

not my thread but always bracelet for me

I think discounts at a boutique may be tricky but many members have tails of 10% and up to 20% being available

if you buy on the bracelet the rubber can be bought from an AD or a Boutique at £220 if you need the buckle as well

for me the nato at £120 with a huge choice of colours is the way to go for a change to the bracelet - obviously a lot cheaper if you don't buy an omega nato but I wouldn't to wear on such a nice piece as this watch is

Old 22 December 2018, 04:43 AM   #17
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
Love it Ben. That was the watch that started me down this path as well back in 1998. Love the new look and grey dialed model. Congrats.
Old 22 December 2018, 04:52 AM   #18
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

these photos make me want one!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 05:13 AM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Great review. Happy you love the watch. Congrats!
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Congrats. It’s a really good watch. I’ve tried both blue and black on and prefer the blue. Have yet to see the grey dial in the flesh however. I agree with you in that it is an awful lot of watch for the money. I’d certainly be hard pushed to shell out the extra £3k for a sub if I was in that situation. Enjoy!

Omega delivers this time. It's a lot of watch for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Amazing photos (as usual)!

Many congrats. It surely is a looker, and wonderfully modern.

Personally, I’m really torn between the blue and black.
No wrong choice here. Both are nice. I just generally prefer blue dial watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Excellent photos of a gorgeous watch. Congratulations and thanks for sharing those awesome pics!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Ok, this just about tips me over the edge good!! I am ready to run to the boutique today!

Great review and awesome shots as always

This one is so money:

Thank you! The watch itself is very photogenic, hence the nice pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Excellent pics. Really shows off the range of this dial.

In recent history, this Seamaster 300 really seems to be the biggest hit Omega has had. The execution is on point and it’s, rightfully so, received a ton of good press and fanfare.
This is the Best Omega watch I have seen ( and now owned ) for a while. Omega really goes all the way to put out a superior product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
The box is even way nicer than what you get with Rolex.
Yes, especially it's nearly half the price of a comparable Rolex model. Not that it really matters, but Rolex has one of more "cheap looking" watch box in the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlaw View Post
nice review and photos

no bad choices on the dial - personally I chose the black

you need to add the blue and grey striped omega nato strap as it will look excellent on that watch - I have bought the black with white edges for my watch but not tried it yet

I have had a sub c in the past for 6 years and eventually sold it as I did not really "love" it - may be it was the maxi case - I agree with you that this omega makes a the grey market price of a sub c a bit silly - 3 times the price ? you have to be the most blinkered rolex fan to see value in that
The black is very nice as well, probably more versatile. Agree with you on the relative value versus the Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Congrats! Curious to hear your thoughts on the grey dial as I haven't seen many reviews on this dial.
The grey dial is actually more silvery than grey. It has a striking blue steel hands and there is good contrast between the blue ceramic bezel. However, I feel it's actually the lesser of the three SS combo. It's personal taste really but I find it kind of "wash-out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzeband00 View Post
Pretty detailing review. congrats and wear in good health
Thanks, appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful piece. Congrats..
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Congrats! Just looked at them today in
Person and was very impressed. Rubber was thin but very comfortable.

Couple of questions..
1. Did you consider rubber or was it always going to be bracelet for you?
2. Is this a watch that one can get a discount at a boutique or is it MSRP given its popularity ?

1) I prefer it on bracelet as it's more practical for me and also because the price difference is very minimal. I can add a rubber strap later on.

2) Yes I did get a discount from my AD. But I supposed this varies with country and your relationship / purchase history with the AD you are dealing with. Boutique will probably be less willing to discount. I also heard there is starting to have a waitlist for this watch as it's gaining popularity quickly due to many great reviews both on the internet and by word of mouth but I can't say for sure. I don't think it will be anything like getting a hard to get Rolex SS sports watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodie9 View Post
Love it Ben. That was the watch that started me down this path as well back in 1998. Love the new look and grey dialed model. Congrats.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
these photos make me want one!
What are you waiting for? It's most certainly much easier to get than the Nautilus 5711-1R.
Old 22 December 2018, 05:23 AM   #20
benlee
"TRF" Member

Close-up shot of the dial.

Old 22 December 2018, 06:05 AM   #21
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on a great Watch. The blue is just stunning, I've had mine for a month and love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3451.JPG (148.7 KB, 4182 views)
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 06:45 AM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Great writeup / enjoy. I so wish this was 39-40mm. May have to try anyways
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 08:27 AM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Great writeup / enjoy. I so wish this was 39-40mm. May have to try anyways

I was surprised how it wore on my 6.75 inch wrist... extremely well. It’s a small 42mm lug to lug, feels even smaller on the rubber strap. Wore my SubC today while I was out and about trying on omegas and I’d say that it wears the same as my sub.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 08:58 AM   #24
timlaw
"TRF" Member

I would agree that it wears smaller than a 42mm watch - on the bracelet it is helped by the bracelet being hinged so that the bracelet hangs vertically from the case so that the bracelet does not add to the lug to lug width at all

on a nato it honestly does not wear bigger than a sub c - no maxi case lugs so the SMP 300M is a much better proportioned watch

omega absolutely knocked this one out of the park and trying one on is highly recommended

Old 22 December 2018, 09:12 AM   #25
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was surprised how it wore on my 6.75 inch wrist... extremely well. It’s a small 42mm lug to lug, feels even smaller on the rubber strap. Wore my SubC today while I was out and about trying on omegas and I’d say that it wears the same as my sub.

I’ve tried it on several times and I just can’t help think it’s a tad large for me.
I have a tudor Pepsi which is a monster for me. Don’t need 2 beasts. Agree it’s great value and a winner. I still may buy against my better judgement lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 09:24 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Many congrats Ben! Tried the black and blue on today, very nice but think your pics look nicer than me holding them! Think the grey is the one for me, but not seen it yet, have enough black and blue dials. New bracelet is the way to go, found the rubber strap very basic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 09:25 AM   #27
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice - congrats
Old 22 December 2018, 09:54 AM   #28
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Congratulations Ben!
The blue dial is absolutely stunning under sun light.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 10:17 AM   #29
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I’ve tried it on several times and I just can’t help think it’s a tad large for me.
I have a tudor Pepsi which is a monster for me. Don’t need 2 beasts. Agree it’s great value and a winner. I still may buy against my better judgement lol
Quote:

My wrist is 6.75" too and it fits well and sits nicely on my wrist. It does wears small for a 42mm.
Old 22 December 2018, 10:20 AM   #30
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Congrats on a great Watch. The blue is just stunning, I've had mine for a month and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
Congratulations Ben!
The blue dial is absolutely stunning under sun light.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Many congrats Ben! Tried the black and blue on today, very nice but think your pics look nicer than me holding them! Think the grey is the one for me, but not seen it yet, have enough black and blue dials. New bracelet is the way to go, found the rubber strap very basic.
In boutique indoor lighting, the finesse of this dial can't show itself. You need to see this watch under natural light, even under better sunlight.The dial *pops* like almost nothing I have seen.