The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 March 2019, 06:41 AM   #1
watchthetalk
"TRF" Member

Rolex Batman stolen in Barcelona, Spain

I had one of the heaviest days of my life yesterday when I realized that someone was able to steal my Rolex Batman model while I was still wearing it.

I always wondered if it is safe to wear Rolex in crowded places, and this has been a shaker for me. Lesson learnt.

I have filed a police report and will be sending the serial number to Rolex as well to report it as stolen.

Model: 11671BLNR
Serial Number: 5G10P475

If any of you kind souls encounter this serial number, pls do inform me.
I will be forever grateful

Any other thoughts or suggestions, please feel free.
watchthetalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:09 AM   #2
whuang29
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that. How did this happen?
whuang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:11 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
How did they take it off your wrist? And you didn't notice?

What part of Barcelona? Las Ramblas?
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:16 AM   #4
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Oh my God man, this is just awful. How did this happen? Where you wearing just a t-shirt of something? I have no idea how someone can manage to open the flip lock and the clasp and then manage to slide it off your wrist without you noticing anything.

Do you typically wear your watches loose? Were you drinking at all?

I would google or ask the locals for the locations of all of the pawn shops around. The thief will most likely be selling it asap if they haven't already. You won't see many if any new sports Rolex at pawn shops so a BLNR will stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 1 March 2019, 07:18 AM   #5
cwilliams21
Banned

First post it's BS move on
cwilliams21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:21 AM   #6
louach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I'm really sorry for you,
Weird coincidence that I thought about that exact same scenario today and was wondering if I should as well wear my Rolex in crowded places.

You can see on some youtube videos "magicians" stealing people's watch while talking to them, pretty scary.
louach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Rocket launcher
Banned

Ramblas in Barcelona is famous for this type of steal usually when watching the living statues..
You look at the performer then your watch is gone..to late now to say but should put your watch hand in pocket making a loop so watch can't fall from wrist or clasp thumbs together with 2 fingers over watch face
To prevent theft in crowds and red areas like barcelona or Oxford Street in london
Barcelona is also a famous place for the slice...cut your jeans and or jacket with a razer and remove wallet and/ or contents...

My mate got sliced in the rambles 7 years ago when with me ..it's a horrible place really full of professional vagabonds and thieves
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:28 AM   #8
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Did you fall asleep on the beach wearing your watch & get robbed during a siesta?

How does it happen? Seems weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:33 AM   #9
glamorama
"TRF" Member

I can totally see that happen in Barcelona, the pickpocket hell of Europe basically.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:33 AM   #10
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
I'm sorry about the loss of your prized possession, and I'm sorry this happens in my country, but as a Spaniard, I wish tourists wanting to come to Spain would do their research and realize that Barcelona is not the only city in Spain and in fact there are dozens of other places in this country a lot more beautiful, far less expensive, and magnitudes less risky than that lion's den of thieves. I use to play spot the thief in the Barcelona metro. I once even tried to tell a tourist he was about to get robbed in the next few minutes because I spotted the pickpockets casing him and his wife who stood out like neon green English-speaking thumbs. He didn't believe me and paid me no mind. I stopped trying to be of help after that. Barcelona is an overrated dump of a political firefight.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:46 AM   #11
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
I'm sorry about the loss of your prized possession, and I'm sorry this happens in my country, but as a Spaniard, I wish tourists wanting to come to Spain would do their research and realize that Barcelona is not the only city in Spain and in fact there are dozens of other places in this country a lot more beautiful, far less expensive, and magnitudes less risky than that lion's den of thieves. I use to play spot the thief in the Barcelona metro. I once even tried to tell a tourist he was about to get robbed in the next few minutes because I spotted the pickpockets casing him and his wife who stood out like neon green English-speaking thumbs. He didn't believe me and paid me no mind. I stopped trying to be of help after that. Barcelona is an overrated dump of a political firefight.
Where would you recommend going in Spain? My wife and I spent two weeks in Barcelona in May 2018 and we loved it. It was my favorite city in Europe that I have been to (compared to Paris, Rome, Marseilles, Florence and Naples). I wore a Zenith which is not as identifiable as Rolex but I'd like to bring my Rolex next time. If you could recommend other places to go where I'd be less likely to be pickpocketed, that could be good.
Old 1 March 2019, 07:50 AM   #12
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Never underestimate the pick pocket thief since they do this for a living, check out this guy got his watch taken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-dWSIUNF10
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:55 AM   #13
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this OP.
There are a number of threads on here I am aware of regarding Barcelona, so you're not alone, if it makes you feel any better.

I am from the UK, but know more people who have been robbed in Barcelona than every other city put together. Especially women getting their handbags stolen.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
I can totally see that happen in Barcelona, the pickpocket hell of Europe basically.
Could happen anywhere but I agree, Lots of post recently about theft of watches in Barcelona. Will be there 2nd time this summer and def wearing a cheap watch.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Never underestimate the pick pocket thief since they do this for a living, check out this guy got his watch taken:

Woah - this guy is impressive!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:03 AM   #16
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Wow very interesting link makes me think twice about securing my valuables in a crowd.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:04 AM   #17
peterpl
Banned

Must be the best pick picketer in the world to take it off your wrist whilst your wearing it.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:08 AM   #18
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Where would you recommend going in Spain? My wife and I spent two weeks in Barcelona in May 2018 and we loved it. It was my favorite city in Europe that I have been to (compared to Paris, Rome, Marseilles, Florence and Naples). I wore a Zenith which is not as identifiable as Rolex but I'd like to bring my Rolex next time. If you could recommend other places to go where I'd be less likely to be pickpocketed, that could be good.
Will PM you. Don't want to hijack the thread.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:27 AM   #19
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

This is real in Barcelona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCG-LcGipmo
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:28 AM   #20
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Wouldn’t wear a timex in Barcelona or Naples
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:31 AM   #21
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Very sorry to hear this happened, OP. Hoping against the odds the watch turns up.

I will be in Europe this summer for some well-deserved vacation time (first proper trip in the past 4 years!). This is not the first time I have read on this forum about people having watches stolen straight from their wrist. It certainly gives me pause about bring a nice watch with me while I travel (especially a hard to get model).
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 08:50 AM   #22
Swashplate
"TRF" Member

Pickpockets are impressive.....I find that if you put your hands in each opposing armpit when walking through crowds that tends to do the trick. It also keeps the elbows up for defensive maneuvers.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 09:59 AM   #23
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post

We hired this guy at one of our work events in Vegas. He's very good!

Did the watch trick on me but I already knew what he was doing as he took it off I asked him to "be careful because it's unusually heavy and expensive so don't want you to drop it." He kind of smirked and he asked how expensive so I told him. I was wearing my Pt AP ROO. He quickly handed it back and we both got a good laugh.

I will say that I did not feel him remove it at all and as he was doing all the miss direction and applying pressure in different places I never would have noticed if I hadn't seen him do the trick before.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:50 AM   #24
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams21 View Post
First post it's BS move on
Yep, getting all tingly inside........................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg satroll.jpg (24.6 KB, 1365 views)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 11:47 AM   #25
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Sorry this happened, wish you the best in its recovery.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 11:51 AM   #26
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Omg! That sucks!! I’m like you and always wondered, but never thought it could happen to me ya know? This has to be the worst feeling ever! I take it by your post this watch is not insured?
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:02 PM   #27
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Need more details to formulate a response. As for the Barcelona fear mongers...here we go.....
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:13 PM   #28
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I have no way of knowing if the theft was real, but I’ve seen a professional pickpocket/magician do his thing in a very small group of about 12 people in a cozy room. Watches, wallets, etc all were removed without the donors realizing their things were missing. Unlike a real theft, everyone got their stuff back.

You wear something “collectible” in a high risk environment, you may well become a donor.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:13 PM   #29
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Oh my God man, this is just awful. How did this happen? Where you wearing just a t-shirt of something? I have no idea how someone can manage to open the flip lock and the clasp and then manage to slide it off your wrist without you noticing anything.

Do you typically wear your watches loose? Were you drinking at all?

I would google or ask the locals for the locations of all of the pawn shops around. The thief will most likely be selling it asap if they haven't already. You won't see many if any new sports Rolex at pawn shops so a BLNR will stick out like a sore thumb.
Why? Someone was able to take a Tang buckle strap right off of President W Bush when he was shaking hands in a crowd. With secret service inches away. He didn't realize his watch was gone till much later
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:16 PM   #30
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

You are awesome too let him try with a real deal expensive piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
We hired this guy at one of our work events in Vegas. He's very good!

Did the watch trick on me but I already knew what he was doing as he took it off I asked him to "be careful because it's unusually heavy and expensive so don't want you to drop it." He kind of smirked and he asked how expensive so I told him. I was wearing my Pt AP ROO. He quickly handed it back and we both got a good laugh.

I will say that I did not feel him remove it at all and as he was doing all the miss direction and applying pressure in different places I never would have noticed if I hadn't seen him do the trick before.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote