The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2019, 04:35 AM   #1
cjet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii, Polar
6309 - water resistance

Hi all.

I recently purchased a late '70s 6309, my first vintage Seiko (I've got an skx007 that I'm quite find of, as well). I love the watch, and it is quietly gaining wrist time on my polar dial Explorer ii - my daily wear. I love the watch and it runs beautifully.

I like to wear the watches I own, and thought the 6309 is working well and seems to be in great shape, I was wondering if it's reasonable to try to restore it to its original functionality - including water resistance. I live near a Seiko repair facility and had a chance to speak with one of their repairpeople. He loved the watch, but said that Seiko no longer has or produces gaskets for the crown or crystal.

Questions:
Is it reasonable - or even possible - to (try to) restore the watch to its original water resistance?

If this is something that Seiko enthusiasts do, to whom do they turn for parts and service?

Again, I' am really enjoying the piece as is. If restoration is a risky proposition I'm happy to do nothing and continue to wear it.

Thanks!

cjet
cjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 08:02 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Grrat question and I’d be interested in any answers. I suppose you’d have to find a watchmaker who does vintage work and knows where to source appropriate parts. I’ve acquired a few vintage pieces and need to get them regulated and pressure tested. For now, they don’t go near water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 09:40 AM   #3
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
The 6309 is one of the easiest ones to get parts for and pressure test. If you need a hand getting this done then send me a dm. I have two watchmakers that work for me full time.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

I bought this 6306 on ebay about 10 years ago. Jack at IWW (International Watch Works) relumed the original dial replaced the crystal with an aftermarket flat sapphire, serviced the movement, replaced the gaskets, and pressure tested it.

I've been wearing this to the beach swimming and snorkeling ever since with no worries at all.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 03:09 AM   #5
cjet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii, Polar
Thanks for your replies!
cjet is offline   Reply With Quote