The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 March 2019, 11:43 AM   #1
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Anyone familiar with Patek 5196 Reliability?

All,

I’m thinking of diving into the Patek world for the first time later this month or early next. I’ve finally downsized my collection to a couple GADA pieces (114060 & 214270) that I wear all the time. I’m looking to add a gold (dress) piece that I can wear regularly. Love the idea of a mechanical, no date, gold watch that I can quickly set and go for a couple days without worry (aside from winding as needed). This has brought me to the 5196. I love everything about it.

Which brings me to my question: Is there anyone out there who wears a 5196 with relative regularity that can provide some feedback on reliability and general function. Are they incredibly delicate? Aside from submerging in water, can I use it as an everyday watch? Any real world maintenance issues/cost/feedback or any quibbles? Would a VC Partrimony Tradionnelle or ALS Saxonia be more practical?

Appologies if this thread has already been beaten to death. Thanks to everyone in advance. The info is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 04:23 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That movement has been in serice for a very long time which leads me to believe it’s proven. I’ve not heard any complaints online about one failing. Interested to hear some feedback as well.
Old 14 March 2019, 05:25 PM   #3
mineral
"TRF" Member

I had similar dilemma as you long time ago when I had choice to choose Patek 5196, ALS 1815 manual (not Saxonia) and VC Patrimony. At the end i purchased the VC. I only owned the VC for short period of time and sold it away.

If you ask me if I have given choice again, I will go with the 5196 especially the rose gold silver dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2019, 06:50 PM   #4
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

I had a 5196g for years and when it stopped getting worn I traded it. Big mistake, it’s back on the top of my radar again. It’s a great looking, every day wearer and I never had any problems with the movement. It’s a long established calibre
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 10:16 PM   #5
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That movement has been in serice for a very long time which leads me to believe it’s proven. I’ve not heard any complaints online about one failing. Interested to hear some feedback as well.
Understood all around. For a watch and movement that have been around for so long, there’s very little in the way on long term reviews anywhere online. Cheers to you.
Old 14 March 2019, 10:18 PM   #6
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G M Francis View Post
I had a 5196g for years and when it stopped getting worn I traded it. Big mistake, it’s back on the top of my radar again. It’s a great looking, every day wearer and I never had any problems with the movement. It’s a long established calibre
Thanks for that. Good to know all around.
Old 14 March 2019, 10:19 PM   #7
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
I had similar dilemma as you long time ago when I had choice to choose Patek 5196, ALS 1815 manual (not Saxonia) and VC Patrimony. At the end i purchased the VC. I only owned the VC for short period of time and sold it away.

If you ask me if I have given choice again, I will go with the 5196 especially the rose gold silver dial.

Just out of curiosity, Why did you get rid of the VC? Pretty watch. Thx!
Old 15 March 2019, 06:22 AM   #8
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Funnily enough I had a VC patrimony. A really beautiful watch but for me it looked great with a suit and that was it. Wearing it with jeans and a t shirt was a non starter, it looked completely out of place. It didn’t get a lot of wrist time but I did spend a lot of time looking at it on my desk.... However I had my 5196 on a dark red/ brown alligator strap and I felt that went well with anything.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 07:08 AM   #9
csx7034
"TRF" Member

I have not had any issues with mine, jumped in the pool a few times after having few too many beers. Its hard to remember when you are used to wearing Rolex watches.
csx7034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 07:24 AM   #10
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G M Francis View Post
Funnily enough I had a VC patrimony. A really beautiful watch but for me it looked great with a suit and that was it. Wearing it with jeans and a t shirt was a non starter, it looked completely out of place. It didn’t get a lot of wrist time but I did spend a lot of time looking at it on my desk.... However I had my 5196 on a dark red/ brown alligator strap and I felt that went well with anything.
Love the VC. That’s solid intel. I’m going to Vegas for work in a couple weeks and the plan is to try everything on. VC, Lange, Patek, even Cartier Drive extra flat. I’m going to dress super casual (jeans and button down) an see what works, and what doesn’t. Heart is kinda set in that 5196R though.
Old 15 March 2019, 07:25 AM   #11
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx7034 View Post
I have not had any issues with mine, jumped in the pool a few times after having few too many beers. Its hard to remember when you are used to wearing Rolex watches.
Haha. Right. I can see some jagoff friend pushing me in after a couple Bourbons. I’ll have to be more vigilant. Stay frosty.
Old 15 March 2019, 07:44 AM   #12
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

I have a PP with the same caliber. I wear it in rotation with others, so cannot really comment on the reliability. Haven’t had any issues in the past 3 years under occasional use. The winding is smooth and efficient. Time keeping has been excellent.

My only nitpick is that the mov’t is small for the case. Basel is around the corner. Perhaps Patek will release a new generation of Calatrava?
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Codik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx7034 View Post

Would you mind sharing how the strap survived your swim in the pool? I am worried of destroying it just by washing my hands.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 07:54 AM   #14
csx7034
"TRF" Member

Once I realized the mistake after swimming a full length, I just got out an grabbed a towel and wiped it down each time. So far cannot tell anything happened.
csx7034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 07:54 AM   #15
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
I have a PP with the same caliber. I wear it in rotation with others, so cannot really comment on the reliability. Haven’t had any issues in the past 3 years under occasional use. The winding is smooth and efficient. Time keeping has been excellent.

My only nitpick is that the mov’t is small for the case. Basel is around the corner. Perhaps Patek will release a new generation of Calatrava?
If it’s reliable and accurate, I don’t really care about the size of the 215 movement. Especially if there’s no display back. I’ve had watches with them in the past and I can say I don’t pay much attention to it. I want ito work well, that the top priority for me. Iwas curious about the time keeping, so that feedback helps. I’m so interested to see if that release a new Calatrava. Especially with all the rumors that they are shit canning the 5119. Thanks again.
Old 15 March 2019, 07:57 AM   #16
Sam Philip
Banned

I really like the 5196 series and 5196P is my favourite of the 5196 series. 5196P is similar to the original reference 96 as well as to the very rare stainless steel version of 570.

5196 is robust enough to use as a daily watch.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 11:11 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Reliability is not an issue. This is a workhorse watch you can wear for 50 years and pass on. Patek has never up graded the 215ps as it is their most robust offering.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 11:48 AM   #18
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Great everyday watch.

I passed on it to get an Saxonia Thin, now I want the 5196.... the grass is always greener.
Old 15 March 2019, 12:01 PM   #19
Dannyanderson
Banned

Patek 5196 reliability is not an issue, its incredible how watches such as Patek can make the simplest design features perfect and unique. Good luck!!
Dannyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 12:24 PM   #20
LKK
"TRF" Member

It’s been 12years since I bought my 5196r.... still using it regularly.

Definitely a recommended dress watch to own

LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 02:15 PM   #21
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Awesome, awesome, awesome. What I was hoping to hear. Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 15 March 2019, 02:16 PM   #22
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Great everyday watch.

I passed on it to get an Saxonia Thin, now I want the 5196.... the grass is always greener.
Thats a rad 3 watch collection man.
Old 15 March 2019, 02:17 PM   #23
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
It’s been 12years since I bought my 5196r.... still using it regularly.

Definitely a recommended dress watch to own

Thanks for the that. How many times have you serviced it in that time frame? Just curious. Cheers.
Old 15 March 2019, 05:08 PM   #24
LKK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Thanks for the that. How many times have you serviced it in that time frame? Just curious. Cheers.

0 (zero)
Watch is working smoothly like butter all these years.

Old 15 March 2019, 10:40 PM   #25
DanielTomp
"TRF" Member

I’m going to dress super casual (jeans and button down) an see what works, and what doesn’t. Heart is kinda set in that 5196R though.
DanielTomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #26
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
0 (zero)
Watch is working smoothly like butter all these years.

Can’t tell you how much that helps in the decision making process. Really appreciate the feedback. Best to you and yours.
Old 16 March 2019, 02:32 PM   #27
LKK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Can’t tell you how much that helps in the decision making process. Really appreciate the feedback. Best to you and yours.

Now I can’t stop... you’ve created a topic on my favourite... Calatrava

Only a little sign of ageing... Guess it’s been well hidden under the sleeves.

Best of luck & Happy hunting.

Old 16 March 2019, 09:54 PM   #28
Strummer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now I can’t stop... you’ve created a topic on my favourite... Calatrava

Only a little sign of ageing... Guess it’s been well hidden under the sleeves.

Best of luck & Happy hunting.

She’s a beauty!! Thanks for the pic! I’ll update in a couple weeks when I head out to Vegas. Have a great weekend.