The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 August 2020, 05:01 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Unpopular Opinion Sub v. YM

The 60 click bezel feel on a YachtMaster is better than a Submariners 120.

Sure, the 120 clicks on the Sub are nice, but I’d rather have the 60 click feel of the YM.

Sand just seems to get under the Sub bezel more than the YM and I’ve had 2 subs with seized assemblies.

60 clicks and make it unidirectional would be better for the sub imop.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:20 PM   #2
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I prefer 120 for a more refined feel, I do also like the YM bezel and 60 clicks though. The best action I ever felt was actually the Cartier Calibre diver, silky smooth, damn smooth, refined and elegant yet felt sturdy. Worst was Blancpain, rachety and industrial feeling.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:23 PM   #3
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
What, how many directions does a sub bezel go again then? I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

This can happen when Chewy struggles to think of something to post about.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:53 PM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I did like the bi-directional bezel on the YM when I had it.
Old 5 August 2020, 06:58 PM   #6
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
What, how many directions does a sub bezel go again then? I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.
I don’t think it’s too much of a mental stretch to figure out he was saying he’d prefer the bidirectional 60 click YM bezel made unidirectional and put on the sub...
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:06 PM   #7
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621
My YM Bezel clicks 120 times, didn't know some YMs clicked 60 times.

I like to feel of 120 smooth clicks, so I'm happy :)
oroloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:13 PM   #8
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
My 116622 from 2015 also has 120 clicks. Do we know at what point the YM bezel was updated from 60 clicks to 120 clicks? Was it in 2012 with the arrival of the 116622 replacing the 16622? Or did it already happen with transitional 16622s, the ones with engraved rehaut?
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:16 PM   #9
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Favorite click was the SD43 IMO!

However I must admit, that the YM seems to be the most interesting one.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:03 PM   #10
Larry81
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub, ex2, mg white
16622 has 120 clicks. And just to add to the debate; imo ym over sub..... but only JUST!
Larry81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:38 PM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
I don’t think it’s too much of a mental stretch to figure out he was saying he’d prefer the bidirectional 60 click YM bezel made unidirectional and put on the sub...
People are quick to judge aren't they.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:39 PM   #12
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Keep the sub where it is, keep the YM where it is. There’s room for both.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:46 AM   #13
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Yachtmaster II clicks > YM1 and Sub clicks
LOL
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 01:29 AM   #14
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
You should check out the 60 clicks on the Black Bay 58, very satisfying
Old 6 August 2020, 02:24 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Jesus.
Old 6 August 2020, 02:25 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Favorite click was the SD43 IMO!

However I must admit, that the YM seems to be the most interesting one.
Haven’t tried it. My dssd is actually quite robust but very fine adjustments for a brute.
Old 6 August 2020, 02:26 AM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroloi View Post
My YM Bezel clicks 120 times, didn't know some YMs clicked 60 times.

I like to feel of 120 smooth clicks, so I'm happy :)
I must have been drunk because I almost bought an early one last week and I could have sworn it was 60.

I’m going to double check.
Old 6 August 2020, 02:27 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I prefer 120 for a more refined feel, I do also like the YM bezel and 60 clicks though. The best action I ever felt was actually the Cartier Calibre diver, silky smooth, damn smooth, refined and elegant yet felt sturdy. Worst was Blancpain, rachety and industrial feeling.
Yes. The Cartier diver is nice. Played with one at Venetian I recall.
Old 6 August 2020, 03:53 AM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The 60 click bezel feel on a YachtMaster is better than a Submariners 120.

Sure, the 120 clicks on the Sub are nice, but I’d rather have the 60 click feel of the YM.

Sand just seems to get under the Sub bezel more than the YM and I’ve had 2 subs with seized assemblies.

The Submariner is an authentic diving watch at its core and I love Rolex's buttery smooth 120 click bezels. The only thing I don't like is that it spins a bit too easy on my Deepsea. Although, we don't see it as the real tool it was in the 50s as today it's more of a luxury timepiece with real credentials. As such the Submariner provides the most you can get in the bottom range diving tool in the Rolex line up, while the Deepsea offers the most you can get out of a real tool diving watch at the other end of the spectrum.
I am of the opinion that Rolex won't compromise in offering "the most" it can in a real professional dive watch with the heritage and pedigree of the Submariner, I can wholeheartedly agree with this stance and product design.
A Rolex watch in it's category offers the most, so much that as you can see, they engineered a chronograph countdown timer specifically for yacht racing, that is unprecedented in mechanical watch design.

Rumor has it that the YM was to be the newer more gentleman Submariner when it was being released but Rolex backed off and decided to issue it as a separate model. The YM is the watch you want and the 42mm white gold model is damn near the watch everyone(not me) claims to want in the Submariner, bigger size, matte dial and bezel, slimmer case profile, rubber strap and in your case, 60 click bezel.

Rolex offers everything everyone could want, they just purposely spread it across their models. While there are many brands who have followers that purchase multiples of the brand, no other brand has people hoarding its catalog like Rolex. Whether it's multiple Subs, Explorers, Daytonas, Datejusts or YMs....people aren't satisfied with just one, add Tudor and the options and feature set quadruple.
They give you all the choices, just not where you exactly want it, but it's there.

I prefer that the Submariner with the heritage and pedigree it has stays true to its core, and offers the most in a real tool watch today. Honestly, I won't use it like a tool and many won't, but that's besides the point. It's like a 1000 hp supercar with a track stiffened suspension and chassis rolling around the streets of Monaco or a RM six figure time only watch with the movement held in a suspension system. Who's gonna go play tennis with their quarter million RM Nadal ....its a luxury item at this point, but no luxury brand is going to cheap out on quality and features just because it's customers needs. Arcteryx has their Veilance line which they over engineer for the urban environment and it offers even more durable textiles and techniques than the standard Arcteryx range, yet it's the urban line.

A Rolex Submariner should always adhere to it's core, the day it doesn't, it will be truly be just marketing and it's price point unjustified.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 04:55 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
The Submariner is an authentic diving watch at its core and I love Rolex's buttery smooth 120 click bezels. The only thing I don't like is that it spins a bit too easy on my Deepsea. Although, we don't see it as the real tool it was in the 50s as today it's more of a luxury timepiece with real credentials. As such the Submariner provides the most you can get in the bottom range diving tool in the Rolex line up, while the Deepsea offers the most you can get out of a real tool diving watch at the other end of the spectrum.
I am of the opinion that Rolex won't compromise in offering "the most" it can in a real professional dive watch with the heritage and pedigree of the Submariner, I can wholeheartedly agree with this stance and product design.
A Rolex watch in it's category offers the most, so much that as you can see, they engineered a chronograph countdown timer specifically for yacht racing, that is unprecedented in mechanical watch design.

Rumor has it that the YM was to be the newer more gentleman Submariner when it was being released but Rolex backed off and decided to issue it as a separate model. The YM is the watch you want and the 42mm white gold model is damn near the watch everyone(not me) claims to want in the Submariner, bigger size, matte dial and bezel, slimmer case profile, rubber strap and in your case, 60 click bezel.

Rolex offers everything everyone could want, they just purposely spread it across their models. While there are many brands who have followers that purchase multiples of the brand, no other brand has people hoarding its catalog like Rolex. Whether it's multiple Subs, Explorers, Daytonas, Datejusts or YMs....people aren't satisfied with just one, add Tudor and the options and feature set quadruple.
They give you all the choices, just not where you exactly want it, but it's there.

I prefer that the Submariner with the heritage and pedigree it has stays true to its core, and offers the most in a real tool watch today. Honestly, I won't use it like a tool and many won't, but that's besides the point. It's like a 1000 hp supercar with a track stiffened suspension and chassis rolling around the streets of Monaco or a RM six figure time only watch with the movement held in a suspension system. Who's gonna go play tennis with their quarter million RM Nadal ....its a luxury item at this point, but no luxury brand is going to cheap out on quality and features just because it's customers needs. Arcteryx has their Veilance line which they over engineer for the urban environment and it offers even more durable textiles and techniques than the standard Arcteryx range, yet it's the urban line.

A Rolex Submariner should always adhere to it's core, the day it doesn't, it will be truly be just marketing and it's price point unjustified.
Agree. My dssd catches everything. Always wondered if down in the deeps this is a problem if you rub something. Like a giant squid or hydra.
Old 6 August 2020, 05:47 AM   #21
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

I am currently wearing my 16622 D-serial (circa '05-'06), and I can confirm there are 120 clicks on the bezel...unless the 10 clicks I got from rotating from 12:00 to 11:00 aren't replicated throughout the full dial, because I'm not counting all 120 clicks!
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:45 PM   #22
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
YM 116622 are 120 clicks.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote