The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2020, 07:58 PM   #1
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Any PM regrets?

I bought a 116610LV in 2016, before all the hype. I loved that watch and wore it for just over three years. The opportunity presented itself to make a shift to the 116619LB. I jumped on it. I do enjoy my smurf and I do wear it every day. Lately I’ve been feeling like the additional weight is quite annoying, and I’m really missing the sunburst green.

I’m curious, those that wear PM literally every day, do you tire of it? My dad had a 16618LB for about 25 years but it was part of a rotation of four others. In additional, the smurf is much heavier than his was.

I spoke with my AD whom I have a great relationship. He told me that he can’t remember the last time he saw a green sub and just can’t predict if or ever they will get one again. Perhaps I need to sit tight, but everyone here know what it’s like when your mind starts to think about making a shift. I’m not interested in paying the premium the green sub commands on the secondary market. At least not $16k-$17k.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:04 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quite the opposite here, I am not interested in SS watches at all anymore after getting used to the feel of PM
Old 5 August 2020, 08:16 PM   #3
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Quite the opposite here, I am not interested in SS watches at all anymore after getting used to the feel of PM
Boom, yes although I am dangerously close to buying a 16710 (cleanest reference I have seen lately) but Seth, keep shopping for a complimentary SS sub and enjoy both. Good luck on the hunt.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:26 PM   #4
didikwahyu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT master II , Br
From blue sky dweller to blue daytona and happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
didikwahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:30 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
One man’s yin’s is another’s yang, but I much prefer stainless steel for professional Rolex references.

Full disclosure, I’ve never owner a PM Rolex however I’ve owned heavier SS references like the Dblue and the SD43. To me heavier watches are an acquired taste. Most that love them will say that they love the extra heft and after you wear them for a time you get used to the weight Etc. That’s all well and good for many.

To me a heavy watch is just that, heavy. Although I agree you get used to wearing it, at the end of the day, I Just can’t wait to take it off. That’s not the case with my 40 mm SS references. I find them to be light weight (by comparison) and much more comfortable on the wrist YMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:47 PM   #6
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I think your regret comes from the loss of the sunburst dial, which will always be a world apart from the matte dial.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Yes. Should have gone with platona instead of WG blue. But not that big a regret.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 08:58 PM   #8
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

First and foremost, I generally prefer PM over any stainless steel reference.
I had purchased the 116618 sunburst earlier this year and the extra weight and chunky feel of the super case (esp compared to my DD 40) made me transition back to the 5 digit 16618 bluesy. I find the PM 5 digit subs wear much nicer for more daily wear. While they certainly aren’t as robust as the 6 digit (mainly the bracelet), the overall wearability is much better than the 6 digit imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchdisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:31 PM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think the weight you get used to, but it must be fitted well to not flop around. This is when you really feel the weight as uncomfortable IMO.

I also think the sunburst effect if the green cause some longing for me as well. Smurf is nice, but the dial is flat by design instead of dynamic like the LV one. I’m more of a daytona guy, and what makes the 519LN feel more special over the SS black or white is the sunburst effect on the dial.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:31 PM   #10
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
That smurf is beautiful! As for regretting PM....not at all, I actually enjoy the weight of PM, or the heavier SS pieces. Reminds me the watch is there, and I thoroughly enjoy looking at them throughout the day.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:48 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like the heavy. That said, my yet to be released grail may very well be a smurf with sunburst. I didn’t like the smurf dial when I had one
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:54 PM   #12
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Love the weight of a PM piece. Only Rolex I’ve purchased was a DD2 and it’s heft was a big thing. Felt like quality. When I went to try on other watches after that it was never the same. They kind of felt flimsy to me. Perhaps if I started the other way I wouldn’t have thought that.

aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:02 PM   #13
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I’m the opposite of you, added a day date to my collection a few years back the weight, feel and look turned it into my daily wear. I have since acquired a five digit gold sub and it is now my daily wear. It’s ok to not prefer PM we are all different and all part of the journey.

Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Regret is not the word I would use for PM, it is more I don't think I get the wear for cost ratio right in PM. I have a moderately large Rolex collection with 11 models. I have had up to 3 PM watches active at one time but they saw the light of day very little as I prefer the look and the utility of my SS models. I now only have one, YG Sky-Dweller with the white dial. I also have many other watches from Omega, Panerai, Breitling and Seiko that get some good wrist time. I get the Hulk also. I have owned it 5-6 times and really like the green and the sunburst dial. We will see in less than a month if they are done/updated and the silliness will start. I have a Hulk in my collection but will move it along for the right price in the future. Prices are up across the board and you can get a very fair trade or sell value on your Smurf. If you are not feeling it then get something else. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:53 PM   #15
peterpl
Banned

Nope never.

I moved all my SS pieces and only wear PM now. Never looked back at SS ever since.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:57 PM   #16
NateThaGreat
"TRF" Member

Gold is the way to go!!!

NateThaGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:09 PM   #17
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Love the weight and feel of PM, hard to go back to SS.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:17 PM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
You can get tired of anything. I daresay that's what happened in your case, as you flipped a watch that you, in your own words, "loved."

The real moral to the story is keep the watches you love and add the ones you think you might like. That way, if it doesn't work out, you can always show the prospects the door.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:19 PM   #19
bp1000
"TRF" Member

No I like it.

In fact I don’t wear my green sub that much. I had been wearing a blue dial wg Daytona for a few weeks and decided to put the green sub on as it hadn’t had much love in months.

Felt like a toy watch in comparison. Short lived obviously but I like the feeling on the pm watches
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:21 PM   #20
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I have zero regrets on going PM, but I also couldn’t imagine it as my only piece. Rolex PM is best when paired with at least 1 SS watch in a collection (IMHO)

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:25 PM   #21
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I prefer SS and titanium to PM. I like comfort and the more sturdy metal for a daily.

I only buy PM on straps.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:14 AM   #22
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
WG Oysterflex Daytona, wears very comfortably. Not sure I would like the extra weight of an all PM Rolex.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:31 AM   #23
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
I tried on a Smurf at my AD last winter and was amazed at the weight difference vs a SS Sub.

While I do my fair share of arm curls (this way to the beach...) it would be too much for me in terms of wearability so I commend anyone who can daily drive a PM.... it certainly gives new meaning to the term “flex” .

I agree with the OP, however, the sunburst dial of the Hulk is far more eye catching than the flat blue of the Smurf.

rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:28 AM   #24
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Can I let you know when I get a PM piece?
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:29 AM   #25
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Thanks for all the responses. One person mentioned that it was probably the green sunburst I was attracted to. No doubt, I am. I do love it. I also have a 5 digit TT blue sub. So I do own another sunburst.

I don’t wear the five digit as much (almost never). It was inherited from my dad so I will always cherish it. It feels like a toy in comparison to my smurf. I find the 6 digit subs to be my favorite and I never felt like I was lacking weight in the green sub.

I’m curious of those that wear PM and love it, how many wear it every day? (Some of you did mention that in your response) Adding to the rotation would be awesome, but realistically, I can’t justify the cost of more than one in my mind or in my wife’s for that matter.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:37 AM   #26
SAlNlDllvllAlNl
"TRF" Member

To answer your question. No.
SAlNlDllvllAlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:49 AM   #27
juan2mini
"TRF" Member

Yes, every day watch was PM Sub for over a decade. I retired and decided to get a watch without a date - stopped caring what the date was, didn’t matter anymore. Only choice for me was SS Sub. Found I wore the SS more and more of the time. After year of not wearing PM Sub I sold it, no regrets. To each their own.
juan2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:51 AM   #28
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post
First and foremost, I generally prefer PM over any stainless steel reference.
I had purchased the 116618 sunburst earlier this year and the extra weight and chunky feel of the super case (esp compared to my DD 40) made me transition back to the 5 digit 16618 bluesy. I find the PM 5 digit subs wear much nicer for more daily wear. While they certainly aren’t as robust as the 6 digit (mainly the bracelet), the overall wearability is much better than the 6 digit imo.

Beautiful iconic Rolex!
Old 6 August 2020, 02:51 AM   #29
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Am not yet fortunate enough to own a PM piece, but have tried several on such as PM Subs, GMT's, DD's, and I could see how SS could feel like a toy after the heft of a PM piece. It's like the iPhone 4 after owning an 8 Plus. It's kind of ridiculous and you wonder how you ever owned such a thing. I can't see ever giving up my 116610LN, though. One rock solid SS piece should always be in the lineup.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:55 AM   #30
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
A big regret for me, I sold my 116518 YG Daytona on leather to fund my YG Paul Newman Daytona on Oyster bracelet. I wish I had found a way to have both.