The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2017, 03:32 AM   #1
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
potential first AP purchase

Hi everyone, I wanted to get your opinions on something.. considering a 15400st grey dial from a local watch store.. they're not an AP AD but they're a rolex, breitling etc AD.. they have a pre owned 15400st for sale for $13k but no box or papers! Is it worth getting without b&p or should i wait and spring for one with.. but that price just seems really good... I havent seen the watch or any 15400's in person yet (was talking to them about steel sky dwellers and they mentioned they had that grey 15400)... but all the pictures i've seen and feedback on the 15400st has made me really like it and want one! it would be my first AP watch

Originally I was considering the 42mm ROO's.. but had a couple opportunities to try them on and it just didnt do anything for me... was also considering the RO chrono panda, love that dial, but is it worth springing more money for? 15400 seems like a classic and in house movement is always a plus so is it worth spending more for a chrono and non AP movement?

Lastly, and sorry i know this is a lot, another watch i was considering is the rolex 116515... tried one on and thought it was beautiful, but i also know i couldnt wear that watch daily or maybe not even often.. but a used one is in the same price range as the RO chrono's so its something im considering as well... i know completely different watch, but i can only buy ONE at the moment and i want them all... also would love a rose gold RO but thats way out of my price range.. all in all.. leaning heavily towards getting a 15400st, whether it be that grey one or not... thoughts please? any input would be appreciated. Thanks

oh my current watches are a batman(my favorite right now), omega dark side, coke 16710 stick dial (planning to sell these two last because they just dont get any wear!) so really just looking for another watch to go with my batman
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 03:57 AM   #2
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I think to start the 15400 is a great choice for your first AP. It's the classic AP that you can't really go wrong with.

However, I don't think you should opt for one without it's box and papers unless it was significantly discounted. What seems odd is that the Grey Dial 15400 only came out a few months ago and is already missing these items.

I would pass and wait for another on that basis alone (regardless of who the AD might be).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 04:00 AM   #3
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Odd that a gray dial is only $13k preowned. The 15400s are commanding high premiums and some ADs are barely discounting even the black dials.

I would look elsewhere. I've heard you dont want to buy a preowned AP unless you really know what you're looking for.
chad362wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 04:05 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

no box and papers on a watch released this year... pass. If the previous owner lost the paperwork that is weird or maybe someone is hiding something. A 20 year old watch no box or papers is a bit more understandable.

No papers means no warranty. All 2017 purchases would be eligible for a 5 year warranty so there is that too.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 04:18 AM   #5
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Yea the price seems a bit odd but it also depends on how cheap the store got the watch from the previous owner. They are probably making the appropriate margin in this case and are just passing on the savings to you. (doesn't happen often) Always get as much info possible before committing. It surely is a beautiful piece and as fas as the box and paper goes? you won't be wearing or enjoying either of those. Just make sure that the watch is authentic!
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 04:19 AM   #6
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

thanks for the input.. yeah i asked the guy there about losing its papers already on a pretty new watch and he mentioned thats why the price is reflected as such.. and $13k was asking price.. possibly negotiable... i usually dont like buying without b&p, mainly because if i ever wanted to sell it, it'd be a much harder sell.. but in this particular case the asking price was just attractive on a new grey dial
Old 29 November 2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Karlig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Hulk
Wait for a better documented watch. AP is a great brand and I would wait for one with box and papers. Resale will also be much better.
Karlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:26 AM   #8
111forza
"TRF" Member

Pass

No way would I buy with no papers
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:36 AM   #9
Xerxes77
Banned

Documents are very important when you want to sell it
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:40 AM   #10
MerrittM3
"TRF" Member

I would never every buy without box and papers. I am at the point now where i wont even purchase from a non AD. Why take a chance..
MerrittM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:44 AM   #11
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I would not buy a watch of this caliber and also this new to the market with no box and papers. You (and the dealer) have no idea on the previous history of the watch. It could be authentic but obtained in a questionable matter which can bite you back in the future. A purchase of this item should not only take the price in consideration but peace of mind as well.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 07:12 AM   #12
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no box and papers on a watch released this year... pass. If the previous owner lost the paperwork that is weird or maybe someone is hiding something. A 20 year old watch no box or papers is a bit more understandable.

No papers means no warranty. All 2017 purchases would be eligible for a 5 year warranty so there is that too.

Exactly this, I'd say for a watch this new to not have b&p it's likely to be stolen. Unlikely that someone would buy a watch like this and then immediately run out of money necessitating the sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 07:17 AM   #13
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Ok I think you guys are all correct.. I’ll pass on this grey Dial.. thank you!
Old 29 November 2017, 09:44 AM   #14
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Exactly this, I'd say for a watch this new to not have b&p it's likely to be stolen. Unlikely that someone would buy a watch like this and then immediately run out of money necessitating the sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree with this. Being willfully naive when buying pieces like this just makes it easier for thieves to fence their stolen pieces

By way of illustration, I came across this article and what amazed me was the volume of pieces that the fence sold to “legitimate” dealers who also it seems we’re not too concerned with asking too many hard questions about where the watches came from

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/...after-13231658
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 09:45 AM   #15
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Ok I think you guys are all correct.. I’ll pass on this grey Dial.. thank you!
Good call. It’s a great watch - just not this piece
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 10:44 AM   #16
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I am tempted to say go for it as the ruthenium dial is very nice and I think will be hard to get. But there is also a good fake of this out now so I'd be very careful and ofc the stolen aspect so maybe a pass is better if you are not 100% on the seller.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 11:07 AM   #17
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
The 15400 is a great first watch. Nothing more classic than a RO on bracelet, and you get modern sizing at pretty good value (for AP anyways). I'd also check out the PP Aquanaut.

Good luck, and I would recommend waiting for the right watch, with full set, and in the dial color you want. With AP, it will be a lifetime watch, so make sure it's perfect from the start!
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 02:55 AM   #18
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Good advice! Thank you
Old 30 November 2017, 03:18 AM   #19
crisc416
"TRF" Member

Is your dealer reputable? Have you purchased before with them? You can always have the watch appraised and keep in the case you want to sell it later. If it's real the box and papers are not really that important in my humble opinion. Good luck with your purchase!
crisc416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 06:10 AM   #20
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

the dealer seems reputable being an authorized rolex dealer.. i have never purchased anything from them yet however... i think i will pass on the grey dial regardless, as i was mainly intrigued because of the price... but Peterandwatches makes a great point in buying a lifetime piece.. makes me think i should wait a bit and pony up for a rose gold RO... i actually went into a store this morning and tried on the 26470or.. looked really good.. actually the first ROO i liked after trying on a couple before.. so now its making me think if i should wait and get one of those instead... that gold ROO or a RO gold on leather (because the bracelets are too much imo)