The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 May 2017, 05:29 AM   #1
Karlig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Hulk
Omega Speedmaster vs. Special Editions

I just purchased the basic Speedmaster, 42mm, hesalite, manual wind, leather strap for 3,145.00. I sure like the looks of the special editions, Dark Side of the Moon, etc., etc. do you guys think that they are worth the money as they are priced around 7,500.0, over twice the price of the standard version. Are you paying for the marketing hype or are these a much better built watch than the standard versions? How about resale value?
Karlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 05:34 AM   #2
Goin2drt
Banned

Different movement. One manual, one auto.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 05:36 AM   #3
Cryten
"TRF" Member

It's largely opinion.

In my opinion Omega has over done the special editions, there are too many and it confuses the lineup and dilutes the brand. Others love them, look how fast the Speedy Tuesday sold out.

I think you chose the right one.......but that's just one man's opinion, others may vary
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Bushido
"TRF" Member

I own both the Speedy Pro and a DSOTM Pitch Black. They are completely different watches. Pro is manual wind, SS, 42mm, 1861 movement with an ~ 48hr power reserve. The xSOTM versions are all 44mm, ceramic, 9300 movement co-axial with vertical clutch and double barrel power reserve coming in at ~60hrs. Just to name a few differences.

At recent grey market/discount prices on the DSOTM, it is a great deal for all the technical upgrades you get over the Pro in my opinion. I think one can argue aesthetic preference. However, based purely upon the technicals, the 9300 movement is far superior to the 1861.

Speedmaster LEs are a completely different ballgame. Most of the LEs all have the same size and movement as the Pro (minus the CK and 60th which are smaller sized but same movement). So, you would be picking up the LE based upon aesthetics alone. So, that's an argument purely based upon personal preference.

If you buy right, and end up flipping, resale will net you a small loss on most Omegas. However, if you pick up one of the newer watches at full retail, prepare for ~30% hit on the flip. Speedy LEs vary quite a bit on the secondary market. Some fetch well above their retail, others have held steady near retail, and the unpopular ones trade a decent amount below.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 05:43 PM   #5
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlig View Post
I just purchased the basic Speedmaster, 42mm, hesalite, manual wind, leather strap for 3,145.00. I sure like the looks of the special editions, Dark Side of the Moon, etc., etc. do you guys think that they are worth the money as they are priced around 7,500.0, over twice the price of the standard version. Are you paying for the marketing hype or are these a much better built watch than the standard versions? How about resale value?

Good choice ! The manual wind plexi is a staple and will be in demand for a long time. The LE's and SE's are overdone my Omega, and little more than fashion/fad pieces. In most cases the standard retains a higher percentage of purchase price.