The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2014, 11:07 AM   #1
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Vintage PloProf Advice

I am the sole owner of a vintage PloProf that I purchased back in 1977 or so from Don Brod's dive shop in Austin, Texas. I want some advice.

I used extensively when I was a professional underwater photographer and scuba instructor. My watch had years of use (at least ten years!) and thousands of hours of underwater time. I trusted it with my life and it never failed me. But, being young and having to spend almost all my money on underwater photo gear, I did absolutely no maintenance on the watch.

It has been in my safe for at least at least 10 years and I got it out last week and wound it and set the date and it still works like a charm. Keeps perfect time compared to Rolex and Casio G-Shock and the date functions too.

The dial is faded, the case is worn with dents and scratches, the crystal has a few scratches.

When I was diving a lot the watch was the best piece of safety equipment a diver had. Scubapro had just released it's first dive computer (the old "bladder" model that tried to simulate recompression times) but for deep dives you couldn't beat an accurate watch and the Navy dive tables. This watch was with me on deep cave dives in Florida and Texas for Esquire Magazine, the now defunct "Oceans" magazine and numerous dive magazine articles. Took it to the Middle East on many non-diving photography jobs and despite its weight and bulk, was with me on all my backpacking and snowshoeing trips across the Rocky Mountains.
Then when I thought it was time to make some real money, I put it away and hadn't looked at it in a decade and had not worn it in at least twenty years! It sure brings back memories!

But I am approaching retirement from my current job and am selling a lot of things I don't need anymore. In the last few days I have done some research (with the help of Jeff Wilson from this forum) and realize the watch is valuable still!! The watch is worn, has scratches, the dial is faded as are the hands. I have the bracelet for it and it is in good condition as I used it for years with the "state of the art divers band" back then - a bright orange velcro strap - that could easily be adjusted over a wetsuit! I also have the isofrane band that I do not believe was ever used. I cannot find the isofrane band strap loop but I am still looking for it. I never dove with the bracelet or isofrane strap, I used a velcro adjustable strap which suited my needs.

Still cannot get my photos loaded, so click here for watch photos: http://www.ocgarzaphotography.com/gallery2/v/watches/

My main question is should I have the watch restored and then sell it, or sell it as is?

Thank you for your thoughts,

OC Garza
Victoria, Texas

Last edited by ocgarza; 2 September 2014 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Bad links
ocgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 11:39 AM   #2
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Click here for photos of the watch: http://www.ocgarzaphotography.com/gallery2/v/watches/

OC Garza
Victoria, Texas
Old 3 September 2014, 04:14 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
check with Rik Dietel at www.timecareinc.com

he has a parts account and is certified to work on Rolex and Omega among others and is a great guy, totally reasonable and fair pricing. You can list it for sale here once it's done there are some membership criteria you'll need to meet first, details are in the newbies section. Good luck!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2014, 10:56 AM   #4
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Thanks wantonebad (and don't we all)
So you think the best way to sell the watch is to have it serviced first. I gather you think the watch is in poor enough condition that it needs a rebuild before selling.
Thanks for your opinion.
OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
check with Rik Dietel at www.timecareinc.com

he has a parts account and is certified to work on Rolex and Omega among others and is a great guy, totally reasonable and fair pricing. You can list it for sale here once it's done there are some membership criteria you'll need to meet first, details are in the newbies section. Good luck!
Old 3 September 2014, 12:24 PM   #5
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgarza View Post
Thanks wantonebad (and don't we all)
So you think the best way to sell the watch is to have it serviced first. I gather you think the watch is in poor enough condition that it needs a rebuild before selling.
Thanks for your opinion.
OC
If you bought it in the 70's it absolutely needs service and you want a proper assessment of it's condition so you can properly inform the potential buyers. That said if you prefer to sell as is that is also completely fine as long as you fully disclose it's condition as openly and honestly as you have here. You may be able to realize it's full resale value for investing as little as $200. That would be what I would do. JMHO
Old 3 September 2014, 12:54 PM   #6
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Well said and this makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for the response.
OC

Quote:
If you bought it in the 70's it absolutely needs service and you want a proper assessment of it's condition so you can properly inform the potential buyers. That said if you prefer to sell as is that is also completely fine as long as you fully disclose it's condition as openly and honestly as you have here. You may be able to realize it's full resale value for investing as little as $200. That would be what I would do. JMHO
Old 3 September 2014, 03:37 PM   #7
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
nice watch and story
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2014, 03:45 PM   #8
pfg1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 YM Blue
Agree with WantOneBad.....good advice.......after servicing, I would keep the watch if I were you.......at least until the time comes that you cannot recall who you are and why you are here.
2019 DEEPSEA Giveaway
2018 Rolex Red SD43 Giveaway
2018 Bond Submariner Giveaway
2020 Rolex + Tudor GMT Giveaway
2020 Rolex Submariner Giveaway
pfg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2014, 05:51 AM   #9
And
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfg1 View Post
Agree with WantOneBad.....good advice.......after servicing, I would keep the watch if I were you.......at least until the time comes that you cannot recall who you are and why you are here.
Wise words indeed.
Old 4 September 2014, 10:24 AM   #10
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

I will consider it, but I am rapidly approaching that time now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfg1 View Post
Old 4 September 2014, 11:06 AM   #11
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Let me add to the story about the watch. About 1976 or 1977, when I got my open water scuba certification - taught by Don Brod himself and Mike Lippy, both of them were like "Sea Hunt" on steroids, just incredible divers - I walked into Don's shop to buy some scuba gear and he was the only one in the shop. I had gotten some nice money for a job I did in Sweden and told him I wanted all Scubapro equipment. He said he would set up an interest free account if I helped with his dive classes. "Just pay something every month and I'll give you credit for all the time you put in helping me with classes." I said OK and the last thing he put in the bag that day was the Omega PloProf. He said you need the best watch to be safe with all the diving you will probably do. I didn't even know what an Omega watch cost, I doubt I had even heard of Omega back in those days. I thought the price was about $600 price but I've slept since then and I might be wrong. I think the watch cost more than all my scuba diving equipment and Scubapro was EXPENSIVE gear. What I do remember was that is was the biggest, baddest watch I had ever seen in my life!! Little did I know that day that he was right. That watch went with me on underwater diving assignments and just pleasure diving all over the world.
A writer from Austin - Stephen Harrigan - and I went to Florida for Esquire magazine to do a deep diving story on a guy named Hal Watts who, at that time, held the depth record using a scuba tank. We had to pass muster with Watts so he took us on some quick 90 foot dives into some sink holes south of Orlando. Then the final test was diving to 190 feet (on compressed air mind you) and reading the odometer on a car that was dumped into a VERY DEEP sinkhole. We got the number right and then we spent a few more days diving into some deep, crystal clear caves with Watts and spending considerable time recompressing in shallow water. Having the "chunk of iron" on my wrist sure made things easier.

Anyway the orange velcro strap I stuck on it got so faded that it turned white. There was even a tear in the strap the last time I wore it. The only maintenance I can remember doing it was rinsing it after a trip to Roatan, taking the old orange strap off because I was afraid it might split, and putting the metal bracelet on it.
If I can ever find any old Kodachromes of me with the watch on, I'll scan it and post it.

Here is hoping that all of you have the same relationship with your watch (or watches) that I did.
OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolimont View Post
nice watch and story
Old 4 September 2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Awesome story, awesome watch. You'd be pretty surprised what that bad boy would fetch.... But unless you need the cash flow, I'd keep something as fantastic as this in my stable until I was ready to pass in down. Whatever you decide, keep us posted and thanks for sharing!
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Let me offer you an opposing point of view on getting it serviced. As the original owner of the watch, you have a GREAT story to tell about it - the adventures you've had with it, the places it has been. Perhaps even some photos of you with the watch "on location" or photos you took while using it as a professional diver and photographer. Tell the story, well documented, and it will help you get the best price for your watch.

IMO, collectors who will value that history the most may well prefer the watch in its original and untouched condition. That is what I would prefer personally, others may feel differently. If you do decide to it serviced, have ONLY a movement service done. Do not replace any visible parts, and do not have the case polished or touched up, only cleaned. Replacing original parts or polishing/refinishing the case can significantly reduce the watch's value.

In addition to TRF, there are watch forums that specialize in Omega and in dive watches, so if you sell, listing on multiple locations would be a good idea. Good luck with whatever path you choose!
Old 4 September 2014, 12:29 PM   #14
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlinboy View Post
Let me offer you an opposing point of view on getting it serviced. As the original owner of the watch, you have a GREAT story to tell about it - the adventures you've had with it, the places it has been. Perhaps even some photos of you with the watch "on location" or photos you took while using it as a professional diver and photographer. Tell the story, well documented, and it will help you get the best price for your watch.

IMO, collectors who will value that history the most may well prefer the watch in its original and untouched condition. That is what I would prefer personally, others may feel differently. If you do decide to it serviced, have ONLY a movement service done. Do not replace any visible parts, and do not have the case polished or touched up, only cleaned. Replacing original parts or polishing/refinishing the case can significantly reduce the watch's value.

In addition to TRF, there are watch forums that specialize in Omega and in dive watches, so if you sell, listing on multiple locations would be a good idea. Good luck with whatever path you choose!
good points, and it is something to consider. The preservation class of divers is a small percentage of the buyers out there, but they do pay top dollar so you have something to consider because this is a solid point of view.

Were it me I would have a movement service, gasket replacement and pressure test. and then advertise it everywhere you can. But while you decide what to do, scan the internet for 70's era Plop's to see what shape they are in and what they are going for?

I tend to think your watch with a bit of a polish and no hand, dial or bezel replacements would do a touch better than an unpolished one, but that's just my opinion.
Old 4 September 2014, 01:05 PM   #15
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Let me add to the story about the watch. About 1976 or 1977, when I got my open water scuba certification - taught by Don Brod himself and Mike Lippy, both of them were like "Sea Hunt" on steroids, just incredible divers - I walked into Don's shop to buy some scuba gear and he was the only one in the shop. I had gotten some nice money for a job I did in Sweden and told him I wanted all Scubapro equipment. He said he would set up an interest free account if I helped with his dive classes. "Just pay something every month and I'll give you credit for all the time you put in helping me with classes." I said OK and the last thing he put in the bag that day was the Omega PloProf. He said you need the best watch to be safe with all the diving you will probably do. I didn't even know what an Omega watch cost, I doubt I had even heard of Omega back in those days. I thought the price was about $600 price but I've slept since then and I might be wrong. I think the watch cost more than all my scuba diving equipment and Scubapro was EXPENSIVE gear. What I do remember was that is was the biggest, baddest watch I had ever seen in my life!! Little did I know that day that he was right. That watch went with me on underwater diving assignments and just pleasure diving all over the world.
A writer from Austin - Stephen Harrigan - and I went to Florida for Esquire magazine to do a deep diving story on a guy named Hal Watts who, at that time, held the depth record using a scuba tank. We had to pass muster with Watts so he took us on some quick 90 foot dives into some sink holes south of Orlando. Then the final test was diving to 190 feet (on compressed air mind you) and reading the odometer on a car that was dumped into a VERY DEEP sinkhole. We got the number right and then we spent a few more days diving into some deep, crystal clear caves with Watts and spending considerable time recompressing in shallow water. Having the "chunk of iron" on my wrist sure made things easier.

Anyway the orange velcro strap I stuck on it got so faded that it turned white. There was even a tear in the strap the last time I wore it. The only maintenance I can remember doing it was rinsing it after a trip to Roatan, taking the old orange strap off because I was afraid it might split, and putting the metal bracelet on it.
If I can ever find any old Kodachromes of me with the watch on, I'll scan it and post it.

Here is hoping that all of you have the same relationship with your watch (or watches) that I did.
OC
Crickey, I took a salvage course with Don Brod in the late 70's at Lake Travis when I was abut 17. Will never forget him. You know, on the palm of my right hand I look at as I'm writing this, I have a scar I got helping load an air compressor into the back of Don's truck! Haven't thought about that in ages. Thanks for bringing back the memories, and best of luck with whatever you do with the watch. Personally, I think you should just keep it. Seriously. It's got too much good mileage on it, and one of these days maybe you'll bump into some young diver who might make a great owner.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2014, 02:16 PM   #16
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for the comment. While I was doing some quick research on the watch, I came across some threads on other vintage Omegas that offered the same view. So I will definitely follow your advice and dig deeper on the omega forum. I know there are options and I will have to make a choice at some point. I am a bit concerned of course, that in all my years of owning the watch it has never been serviced but I like your suggestion about the "basic service" if that is the route I take.
Thanks again,

OC

Quote:

Old 4 September 2014, 02:27 PM   #17
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
Crickey, I took a salvage course with Don Brod in the late 70's at Lake Travis when I was abut 17. Will never forget him. You know, on the palm of my right hand I look at as I'm writing this, I have a scar I got helping load an air compressor into the back of Don's truck! Haven't thought about that in ages. Thanks for bringing back the memories, and best of luck with whatever you do with the watch. Personally, I think you should just keep it. Seriously. It's got too much good mileage on it, and one of these days maybe you'll bump into some young diver who might make a great owner.
WOW. It is amazing who you meet on the internet and in a watch forum
Were you diving on Don's "sunken boat park" or were you doing the salvage class near the bottom of Travis dam? The dive at the bottom of the dam was deep, dark and cold. I sure remember how hard it was to get air fills back in those days. All the dive shops had compressors in pickups and then they all figured out how to put together a cascade system when the lighter and safe aluminum tanks were introduced. I agree he was a great guy. Some people didn't like him, but in some unexplainable way, he was definitely a mentor to me.

Thanks for your comment and your thoughts on what I should do with the watch.
OC
Old 4 September 2014, 02:32 PM   #18
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
good points, and it is something to consider. The preservation class of divers is a small percentage of the buyers out there, but they do pay top dollar so you have something to consider because this is a solid point of view.

Were it me I would have a movement service, gasket replacement and pressure test. and then advertise it everywhere you can. But while you decide what to do, scan the internet for 70's era Plop's to see what shape they are in and what they are going for?

I tend to think your watch with a bit of a polish and no hand, dial or bezel replacements would do a touch better than an unpolished one, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks again wantonebad. I appreciate all comments and opinions and at my age, I've learned to take my time on a project like this. I tend to agree with you on a basic service approach - no replacements of anything - but will keep researching.
OC
Old 4 September 2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Quote:

If you do decide to service, Marc's advice here is sound. You're smart to take your time and do some more research before taking any action. The watch has been with you for decades, it will wait a bit more.
Old 5 September 2014, 09:34 AM   #20
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Sound Proflof advice

Quote:
If you do decide to service, Marc's advice here is sound. You're smart to take your time and do some more research before taking any action. The watch has been with you for decades, it will wait a bit more.
Yes, the research continues tonight. I'll hit the Omega forum tonight or this weekend. I appreciate your insight.

OC
Old 5 September 2014, 10:36 AM   #21
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
WOW. It is amazing who you meet on the internet and in a watch forum
Were you diving on Don's "sunken boat park" or were you doing the salvage class near the bottom of Travis dam? The dive at the bottom of the dam was deep, dark and cold. I sure remember how hard it was to get air fills back in those days. All the dive shops had compressors in pickups and then they all figured out how to put together a cascade system when the lighter and safe aluminum tanks were introduced. I agree he was a great guy. Some people didn't like him, but in some unexplainable way, he was definitely a mentor to me.

Thanks for your comment and your thoughts on what I should do with the watch.
OC
If memory serves we were actually in water of moderate depth off of Windy Point (I think) and there were these big concrete blocks that we hitched to and moved around with lift bags. We also had a search assignment to find an old lawnmower and my brother and I found it. That was great fun.

Don could be abrasive, but it seemed that once he got to know you he was great. I also remember a small dog of his which he said was "hung like a field mouse." Good days. A pleasure, and Best of luck w/ the Omega.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 08:56 AM   #22
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
What a great story! I've been attracted to the PloProf because of its unapologetic and singular purpose design & engineering. I could never own one myself because I don't dive and feel it would be somewhat sacrilegious to be a pretender. The next owner should really appreciate the history and hopefully, continue to use it as you have.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2014, 08:20 AM   #23
ocgarza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
If memory serves we were actually in water of moderate depth off of Windy Point (I think) and there were these big concrete blocks that we hitched to and moved around with lift bags. We also had a search assignment to find an old lawnmower and my brother and I found it. That was great fun.

Don could be abrasive, but it seemed that once he got to know you he was great. I also remember a small dog of his which he said was "hung like a field mouse." Good days. A pleasure, and Best of luck w/ the Omega.
Whoa! Forgot about those big blocks off Windy Point. Yeah that was required for all classes above basic certification. Did you find the lawn mower on the triangulation exercise? That was always fun.
You reminded me of a time we had a class diving on the sunken boats and the exercise was finished and the buddy team I was watching surfaced. The woman in that team said she lost one of her priceless earrings and wanted me to go back down and look for it. I said "sure," thinking why would anyone dive with valuable earrings, and I don't have a chance in hell of finding that sucker. So I let the air out of my BC and land next to the sailboat and look on the deck and lo and behold, that earring was sitting on the only remaining part of the top deck. She couldn't believe I found it and the next time I was in Don's shop I was treated like a hero because she told everyone about it.
Yeah I remember the story about his small dog :-) Don had a great sense of humor when he wasn't pissed off