The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 November 2019, 02:06 AM   #1
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Help from the Paneristi...on this PAM111

Quite new to PAM, just wanted to see if anyone could tell me if this looks legit?

Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 02:33 AM   #2
nick c
Banned

As the most people will say, buy your seller first, then if the price is to good to be true, then walk away, now does the seller has the history of the Panerai 111, like box and papers booklets or proof of purchase. Here is a pic of Pam 111 H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 03:05 AM   #3
Tan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
As the most people will say, buy your seller first, then if the price is to good to be true, then walk away, now does the seller has the history of the Panerai 111, like box and papers booklets or proof of purchase. Here is a pic of Pam 111 H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warranty card is actually stamped from a Canadian AD, which is a good sign.
Old 18 November 2019, 02:40 AM   #4
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
box and papers, matching serial number, good to go!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 03:03 AM   #5
Tan
"TRF" Member

Yes, I have box papers with serial numbers that match, including outer cardboard box.
Old 18 November 2019, 08:15 AM   #6
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
To me, it looks very good. The 2 gears on the movement look to be flat, whereas lots of fakes have a kind of rounded look close to the edges, probably from poor brushing. It looks to have some deep engravings.

Ask if the case was polished/brushed. I have a 111 (J series) and the little pin on the crown guard is actually polished. Perhaps the whole crown guard was brushed to save time and also some pams have a brushed pin. However, I think from the factory, it would have been polished on this model, but I could be wrong.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Tan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
To me, it looks very good. The 2 gears on the movement look to be flat, whereas lots of fakes have a kind of rounded look close to the edges, probably from poor brushing. It looks to have some deep engravings.

Ask if the case was polished/brushed. I have a 111 (J series) and the little pin on the crown guard is actually polished. Perhaps the whole crown guard was brushed to save time and also some pams have a brushed pin. However, I think from the factory, it would have been polished on this model, but I could be wrong.
It was serviced by an independent watchmaker prior to acquisition, however I am looking at images of other PAM 111s and the crownguards on them look to be brushed.
Old 18 November 2019, 08:32 AM   #8
mg18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
It was serviced by an independent watchmaker prior to acquisition, however I am looking at images of other PAM 111s and the crownguards on them look to be brushed.
The guards are brushed, but the little pin on the guard is polished on many 111 references.
Old 18 November 2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Tan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
The guards are brushed, but the little pin on the guard is polished on many 111 references.
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-pam-t0cad1

Here's one from C&C that looks brushed, so could be that some are that way as well.
Old 18 November 2019, 09:27 AM   #10
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Warranty card is actually stamped from a Canadian AD, which is a good sign.
I think you are safe. Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:25 AM   #11
mg18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-pam-t0cad1

Here's one from C&C that looks brushed, so could be that some are that way as well.
So to confirm my original post, it looks fine to me, but I thought I would point out the crown guard pin just for information purposes. My J series 111 came with a polished pin on the guard. When I brought it to yorkdale for a service 2 years ago, it came back with a brushed pin. I asked about this and they apologized, advising that some of their newer references brush the whole guard including pin, so it can be done either way.

Many 111 references we will find online are likely pre-owned since it was discontinued. Therefore, it is very difficult to tell whether it comes brushed or polished with your specific series from the factory. What we do know is that when servicing it, many people might overlook that small detail and just brush the entire guard, as was the case for my watch.

If it was polished or brushed, it isn't a huge deal. I just made Panerai service polish the pin after once again because I like the way it looked better.

Otherwise, the watch seems legit to me.
Old 20 November 2019, 10:23 AM   #12
Tan
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback and help, much appreciated!
Old 20 November 2019, 04:18 PM   #13
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Nice 111! Looks just like mine! Been wearing it since 2007 and it's still one of my favorites. Just going through its first service. One of the most reliable and accurate watches I've ever owned. For a number of years it wouldn't gain more than 5 seconds per month. I never did keep track day to day other than at one point not noticing any deviation. I hope it comes back working like it used to! Started gaining 5-10 minutes a day but after 10+ years of heavy wear, not bad at all.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote