The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2019, 08:58 PM   #241
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but this doesn't surprise me, even more so if coming from a Rolex diver. I am always a little puzzled how some people like both the Hulk and the 5711. One is a substantial and robust (and in case of the Hulk pretty loud) sports / tool watch with a magnifier for the date (that you either love or don't) while the other is an elegant, dressy sports (or sporty dress) watch that is obviously more subtle, less substantial, and less robust (especially in terms of getting banged up). Completely different design goals and languages.
To be honest, and I think I can speak for Doctok as well, it's not a matter of elegance. It just doesn't feel like an expensive, luxury watch becoming of it's price. For example, the 15202 and the steel Bulgari ultra thin are elegant, yet feel robust and worth the price.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:02 PM   #242
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Cant compare a sub with a 5711. Different animals. Sometimes you need a Jeep, sometimes an aston martin.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:09 PM   #243
SROB
"TRF" Member

Following up on last posts - my everyday is a Rolex Sub, ceramic, occasionally a Speedy... have never handled a 5167... but am on a waitlist for a 5167r - think I'll be disappointed?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:58 PM   #244
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROB View Post
Following up on last posts - my everyday is a Rolex Sub, ceramic, occasionally a Speedy... have never handled a 5167... but am on a waitlist for a 5167r - think I'll be disappointed?

No, I think you'll like it. I liked the 5167a both times I've handled it. A major part of my disappointment with the 5711 was the bracelet. The rubber strap on the 5167 alleviates that disappointment (I also personally like the aquanaut dial more as well).

Old 14 September 2019, 11:55 PM   #245
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t think you will be, but keep in mind the aquanaut is an acquired taste if you are coming from rolexes and omegas.
I went from hating it to loving it but it took me 2 years to get there in which I owned the steel 5167a twice and settled with a 5167r

Pic:

Old 15 September 2019, 12:34 AM   #246
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't have a 5167, but I've owned a 5066 (the first but one Aquanaut) from new since the late '90s. For many years it was my only watch and still gets worn a disproportionately large amount of the time.

The thing about the Aquanaut line generally is that they are, hands-down, the most comfortable watches I've ever worn. They are light as a feather, incredibly thin, and the tropical strap is forgiving in a way no steel bracelet could ever be, without the fragility of leather. They're not 'bling' - there's little ornamentation to wow you on first meeting (though the 516x watches have the sunburst dial vs the 506x's rubber, I find the latter versions to have too much dead-space on the dial, personally) - but I'd wager that for many after a reasonable period of familiarisation, they become their favourite watch. It's high-horology for the everyday.

I very much doubt you'd be disappointed.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 08:08 AM   #247
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
To be honest, and I think I can speak for Doctok as well, it's not a matter of elegance. It just doesn't feel like an expensive, luxury watch becoming of it's price. For example, the 15202 and the steel Bulgari ultra thin are elegant, yet feel robust and worth the price.
Matter of taste I think. For me the 5711 is more elegant but less sporty than the 15202 which I like ok while the Bulgari doesn't do much for me.

Funny thing is I found the 5711 underwhelming once I had got one like you guys when trying it on. Told the AD a few weeks later that I am not very impressed but will give it 12 months to decide if it has to go again. The more I wore it though the more I started to like it and it clearly turned out to be a keeper.

IMO people may have too high expectations when trying on a 5711 for the first time in these days of crazy hype and market value. Does it do 20x more for me than my IWC Mark XV that is worth 20x less? Of course not...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:42 PM   #248
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Nothing really, if I was pushed for an answer probably the RG Skydweller then again it was part of my collecting journey
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:01 AM   #249
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Avoid Invicta even if its a loaner from an AD.

The real watches are tool watch Rolex Submariners that have drilled lugs. The newer
watches by Rolex? Case by case....just like girl friends, some are not marriage material.
Try a 5512 or 5513.......even a 14060 M is a real watch, made to stand tough conditions
but understands La Grande Dame champagne.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:25 AM   #250
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
To be honest, and I think I can speak for Doctock as well, it's not a matter of elegance. It just doesn't feel like an expensive, luxury watch becoming of it's price.
Yes - thank you @_speedmaster_ for clarifying my point so well.

I was only using the Sub as a point of comparison in a Forum where a Rolex Sub as a reference point is pretty well established.
To be honest, I did not want to totally cause mass hysteria and conflict describing my opinion of how I think the 5711 compared on the days I swapped briefly with him with a AP ROO Diver, IWC 5001-13, AP ROO Rubberclad, Panerai 335, IWC Aquatimer Cousteau.
ALL completely different TYPES of watches.

The whole purpose with this thread is to state those watches that have disappointed when held/ owned/ seen in the metal.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:53 AM   #251
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctock View Post
The whole purpose with this thread is to state those watches that have disappointed when held/ owned/ seen in the metal.
Not really. The purpose of this thread is to name the one watch that ended up being a disappointment after having purchased it, not after accidentally having had a chance to finally see some piece for a few minutes like you did, see the OP below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Since most of us here are collectors with multiple watches, I was just curious to hear from people the one watch that they have purchased that ended up being a total disappointment.
Old 17 September 2019, 07:30 AM   #252
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really. The purpose of this thread is to name the one watch that ended up being a disappointment after having purchased it, not after accidentally having had a chance to finally see some piece for a few minutes like you did, see the OP below...
While not the explicit purpose of the thread, you can still form a well grounded opinion on a watch after a few minutes. I'm assuming you agree...or do you forgo trying on watches before you buy them?

Or, is your qualm that we are not answering the thread's specifically stated question verbatim, which you somehow see as an affront to the sanctity of thread etiquette?

This is not to say the 5711 feels cheap, far from it. It's just that the perceived quality/feel and finishing doesn't stack up to the 15202, which is one of its main competitors.

Old 17 September 2019, 08:02 AM   #253
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Agree with @speedmaster above. Although I don't own the 5711 blue, I was on 2 waitlists with a chance to get one in few months in 2017. That is until I saw the watch in person at a AD which was reserved for another client; I was left underwhelmed by the dial. It looked washed out grey in a brightly lit store. Fortunately, the store had a 5711 white and 5712 in stock for me to try on. Loved the 5711 white as soon as I put it on my wrist. Ended by going after the 5711 white later on. My reasons are slightly different than @speedmaster but I agree on the part that 5711/5712 feel inferior to 15202 in overall finish, bracelet, and the feel of the watch on wrist.

Watches that I tried at ADs after seeing them on forums but was left disappointed: Patek 5711 blue, Patek 5167, Patek 5196, GP Laureato, Rolex Explorer I and II, and Rolex OP.

Watches that I have owned but didn't live upto my initial impression: JLC Tribute 1931, my initial Tag purchases

And the brand that always surpasses my expectations everytime I have tried the watch at an AD: Almost all models of Lange
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:26 AM   #254
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
While not the explicit purpose of the thread, you can still form a well grounded opinion on a watch after a few minutes. I'm assuming you agree...or do you forgo trying on watches before you buy them?

Or, is your qualm that we are not answering the thread's specifically stated question verbatim, which you somehow see as an affront to the sanctity of thread etiquette?

I agree that while not explicitly stated, many of us here have researched a particular watch for hours including listings, articles, and video reviews to the point where we are certain it is the next “incoming!” But when you actually see it and try it on your wrist, something about it just doesn’t work.

The 38mm Zenith Tri-color chronograph had the smaller size I like along with its iconic history and movement. It looks fantastic in pictures but when I tried it on it just didn’t sing to me. Luckily I waited to try it on before just buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 08:52 AM   #255
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Rather sad thread to look over, so many regular posters awol or banned, still luckily we've got a ton of investment askers here instead.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:08 AM   #256
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely you can form an opinion after a few minutes, but the answer to the question which ones you didn't like when trying them on is hopefully very different from the answer to the question which one you tried on, liked, and yet ended up being disappointed with after you had purchased it. For most of us there will be lots in the first category and hopefully not too many, if any, in the latter one.
Old 17 September 2019, 10:38 AM   #257
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely you can form an opinion after a few minutes, but the answer to the question which ones you didn't like when trying them on is hopefully very different from the answer to the question which one you tried on, liked, and yet ended up being disappointed with after you had purchased it. For most of us there will be lots in the first category and hopefully not too many, if any, in the latter one.
Fair point. To be honest, I based my initial response on the thread title alone (which I assume more did as well).

I've actually found that the watches I didn't click with were ones I bought impulsively online without having tried it on, or bought thinking my initial trepidation/lukewarm feeling trying it on could be overcome by owning the watch.

Old 19 September 2019, 04:53 AM   #258
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
My only real disappointment was a Speedy Pro. Love it in pictures but not on the wrist. Traded it away after a couple years. The biggest problem was the "blah" look on the wrist. This was particularly noticeable next to my 14060.

It also wore top heavy and less comfortably than the Sub, but this was minor compared to the overall look. However, it was one of my most legible chronographs.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:30 AM   #259
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
My only real disappointment was a Speedy Pro. Love it in pictures but not on the wrist. Traded it away after a couple years. The biggest problem was the "blah" look on the wrist. This was particularly noticeable next to my 14060.

It also wore top heavy and less comfortably than the Sub, but this was minor compared to the overall look. However, it was one of my most legible chronographs.
Wow, that's amazing. I love my Speedmaster Pro and how it looks on the wrist. It gets.more wrist time than any of my pieces worth 9x the price.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:41 AM   #260
cleanupinaisle3
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, DJ41, BB58
Quote:

I kinda know what you mean. I think the vintage models have more wrist appeal because their dials are less flat, the acrylic crystal causes a lot of light dancing, and they have tritium as well. The modern moonwatch doesn't really do anything for me, though I do like some of the non-moonwatch models, like the co-axial models.

Sometimes even my transitional 3590.50 can look a bit 'flat' at times, but other times it just comes alive, especially under the sun, like here...

cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:38 AM   #261
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I have owned a TT DJ, a Hulk, a WG Daytona with a meteorite dial, a Platona, and my current Smurf and that is just the Rolexes. And an AP RO and some Cartiers.

None disappointed me; I wore them and traded up. I traded the Platona, which I loved, for the Smurf because my eyes were getting where I could not read a Daytona dial clearly.

So I have had good luck in enjoying all my watches. Not to say I won't be disappointed in the future.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:34 AM   #262
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
The only watch I have been disappointed with was my Doxa Sub 300 Silver Lung (Aqua Lung) reissue. The silver dial with steel bezel and steel case, combined with such a small dial and tiny hour hand made it difficult for me to read at a quick glance. I think it was only because of the silver dial, though (too much grey color, it blurred together). I might try it again in the Professional (Orange) or Caribbean (navy blue) dial.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:11 AM   #263
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

The only watch I owned and didn't bond with was a PAM000. Love the watch, looks, history, etc. - but didn't get a lot of wrist time due to the size.

However, I have lusted after several watches and felt underwhelmed after trying them on.
Daytona C (too small), Aquanaut (didn't sing to me especially at the price), Sky Dweller (top heavy), Several Omegas (bracelets).

I find myself really liking the Lange 1 in platinum. Just not sure if it is too dressy for my normal use.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #264
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Bought one once, sold it after a week and a half...
Old 20 September 2019, 12:46 PM   #265
Thejudge
"TRF" Member

The Seiko Sarb was way smaller in person when i bought it online
Thejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 04:56 PM   #266
Celter
"TRF" Member

As much as I would love to like Patek watches, I cannot find a single one that speaks to me. The Aquanaut and the Nautilus are ugly in my opinion. I kind of like some of the Calatrava models, but always find that I like the VC Patrimony Traditionelle better. So sadly no PP for me, unless they start designing nice watches.
Celter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:56 PM   #267
justjay82
"TRF" Member

I’ve gotta say, I was really disappointed with the Timex Q reissue. I was hoping to love it, but I didn’t. Just felt cheap to me.

I’m returning it.

justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:00 AM   #268
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjay82 View Post
I’ve gotta say, I was really disappointed with the Timex Q reissue. I was hoping to love it, but I didn’t. Just felt cheap to me.

I’m returning it.

Jay, it is cheap lol. I get what you are saying though. You can buy an SKX seiko for a similar price and it feels solid. This interested me but quartz is a no for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:02 AM   #269
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Jay, it is cheap lol. I get what you are saying though. You can buy an SKX seiko for a similar price and it feels solid. This interested me but quartz is a no for me.

YES! Lol Exactly right.
An SKX would feel leaps and bounds better quality than the Q.
I sent mine back this morning.
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 05:40 AM   #270
i-know-a-bit
Banned

5711 - pretty meh both in appearance and haptic
5172 - it just doesn't look good
Montblanc 1858 Villeret Monopusher LE (green dial) - the dial didn't fit the watch at all. also the vanilla strap had much play between the lugs.
i-know-a-bit is offline   Reply With Quote