The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 June 2018, 12:44 AM   #1
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

.:Don't hate the player, Hate the game:. - AD/GREY

"Don't hate the player, Hate the game"

This anti grey movement around here recently has me scratching my head. When the grey's were consistently below MSRP you all loved them. Now supply/demand has shifted and you hate them.

In my humble opinion the greys are not the problem. Here's why!

ALL ROLEX WATCHES GO FROM PRODUCTION FACILITY TO AD'S!

I place the bulk of the blame on Rolex not controlling there dealer network. Not using any popular grey names here but lets just say joesgwatches.com ALWAYS has the hottest newest models, as do all other greys.

Why might you ask? Because they have relationships with AD's and the AD's make 5/10 watch sales with one call probably over MSRP and old stock gone. That's the issue, but its a double edged sword.

The market is good now and AD's can't get enough watches to sell BUT when that's not the case if they sever relationships with Grey's they will be crying to Rolex that they can't meet quotas.

Greys serve a purpose and now its frowned upon but at some point it will be welcomed, as is life. Don't hate the Greys they provide a service and make a profit, god bless America!

I have always took the simple approach to not purchase over MSRP and figure out getting a watch on my own terms. Some don't mind paying the premium and getting what they want when they want it, kudos to the Grey for providing that service. It's very easy as a consumer to vote with your wallet.

Am I somewhat frustrated I can't go buy a batman today for instant gratification, I guess. But as the phys majors will tell you if that's the case the batman would be more like robin!

I am not defending the Grey's I am defending capitalism, and anyone who has the guts to be in business!
Old 14 June 2018, 12:47 AM   #2
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Amen
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 14 June 2018, 12:49 AM   #3
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Hmmm, interesting read.....
Old 14 June 2018, 12:51 AM   #4
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I think you’ve set up a bit of a straw man. I’m not sure that many people on here have sharpened their pitchforks for grey dealers (sure some have but it’s the internet, you can find at least one person with any opinion you can think of if you look hard enough, no matter how barmy).

I think most of the opprobrium is reserved for scalpers - people who buy watches with no intention of keeping them but purely want to make a fast buck. Legal, yes. Understandable, to a degree. Annoying for watch enthusiasts to witness, absofrigginglutely.

Incidentally, I’m not sure capitalism needs defending. It’s fetishised to seemingly quasi-religious proportions in this place.
Old 14 June 2018, 12:52 AM   #5
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
It is what is,,,,
i bare no malice to grays or ads,,,,,
yes its very frustating presently but it will pass,,,,,
Old 14 June 2018, 12:54 AM   #6
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Everyone loves capitalism until its time to do capitalist things..
Old 14 June 2018, 12:57 AM   #7
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
They’ve helped me get better prices on AP and Breitling than I could have on my own, so I’m thankful for sure.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 14 June 2018, 12:58 AM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Am I somewhat frustrated I can't go buy a batman today for instant gratification, I guess.
Sure you can. You just can't buy it from a heavily populated area where there are hundreds of other people who want the same watch.

Perhaps the problem with the game is instant gratification, an overwhelming desire to post on social media and the like. Everything has to be now. Society has lost all ability to be patient.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:02 AM   #9
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Sure you can. You just can't buy it from a heavily populated area where there are hundreds of other people who want the same watch.

Perhaps the problem with the game is instant gratification, an overwhelming desire to post on social media and the like. Everything has to be now. Society has lost all ability to be patient.
Patience is for those who can't find a way to get what they want NOW!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 14 June 2018, 01:05 AM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
Patience is for those who can't find a way to get what they want NOW!
So true.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:06 AM   #11
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I think you’ve set up a bit of a straw man. I’m not sure that many people on here have sharpened their pitchforks for grey dealers (sure some have but it’s the internet, you can find at least one person with any opinion you can think of if you look hard enough, no matter how barmy).

I think most of the opprobrium is reserved for scalpers - people who buy watches with no intention of keeping them but purely want to make a fast buck. Legal, yes. Understandable, to a degree. Annoying for watch enthusiasts to witness, absofrigginglutely.

Incidentally, I’m not sure capitalism needs defending. It’s fetishised to seemingly quasi-religious proportions in this place.
You touched on a great point, everyone here who genuinely loves mechanical watches for what they are HATES the crumbs who act as if they are one of us to purely buy and flip. To be honest they are no different from the Grey's other than there deceiving nature. The supply/demand control is unchanged. I spot this often and just laugh, but again can't hate someone who try's to make a buck.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:08 AM   #12
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Good read, haters gonna hate.
Personal preference where one buys. Personally I'd never buy from an AD, especially nowadays. To many rules to abide with and I prefer simple straight forward deals.
Others like the atmosphere of AD's. AD's and grey coexisted for many years each in need of the other.

Current market problems are probably caused by flippers looking for a quick buck. These are the culprits
Old 14 June 2018, 01:09 AM   #13
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Good read! However, I also haven't seen an abnormal number of negative posts attacking or hating the grey dealers. Mmuaybe I'm not seeing those posts or missing those threads.

I certainly can empathize wanting a certain reference and being turned away over and over. In fact, it would drive me nuts after a while. But, wasting energy getting upset won't change much. Wish I could help *all* the folks on waiting lists but I can't. It's just one of life's disappointments we're all suffering through.

Hang in there and that Batman will come along. You'll appreciate more.

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2018, 01:15 AM   #14
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
You touched on a great point, everyone here who genuinely loves mechanical watches for what they are HATES the crumbs who act as if they are one of us to purely buy and flip. To be honest they are no different from the Grey's other than there deceiving nature. The supply/demand control is unchanged. I spot this often and just laugh, but again can't hate someone who try's to make a buck.
The thing is the grey is making a living, like we all have to. No harm no foul.

In order to be a scalper, you need to be able to source a scarce watch at retail and in order to do that in the current climate you already have to have an AD relationship. All that means you probably don’t need the money. Sure, that doesn’t usually stop people trying to make a quick buck, but it’s partly what makes it so annoying. I wouldn’t be bothered if the people making money were poor and on the dole.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:16 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Op has a point, and clearly wants a deal on their next watch.

Imop, people are upset because the indy merchant now controls the game for the market class.

there’s a feeling they’re owed a preferential something or another for supporting those who now have more influence than the money required for entry and participation.

Ive seen this with cars and people who’ve opened their own businesses after quitting their bosses.

Effectively, the greys are competing with the buyers own dollar, and that can only be remedied with 4 Rolex contests going forward.

Find your wallets TS’ !!!!! And people will play ball.

Old 14 June 2018, 01:23 AM   #16
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I don't hate grey dealers. I refuse to pay over MSRP. So it is not a problem for me.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:24 AM   #17
wiggindude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Old 14 June 2018, 01:24 AM   #18
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
Everyone loves capitalism until its time to do capitalist things..
+1 This.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:15 AM   #19
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I don't agree with this sentiment and never have. If the player by playing the game is doing something undesirable ethically and or morally then he or she is just as culpable as the game. In my opinion, grays buying new watches and denying people the opportunity to do so at Rolex's market value is a clear violation of decency and fair play. I hope Rolex pulls the plug on any AD perpetuating this scam.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:22 AM   #20
Toony
"TRF" Member

What’s interesting not too long ago many would say why would you pay full price for (whatever watch) when this grey has it for whatever amount less.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:25 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
I don't hate grey dealers. I refuse to pay over MSRP. So it is not a problem for me.
Exactly

It’s frustrating not to be able to find the references at your AD at MRSP but that’s life for the time being.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:26 AM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Exactly!

This situation does not bother me in the least.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 14 June 2018, 02:26 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Yup it's flippers that have really ruined the chances for genuines to buy easily or at all from ADs, and then you have to blame the global economy for creating an initial surge of genuine demand that pushed prices up and attracted the flippers, and then you have to blame Social Media for accelerating the hype, and then you have to blame...

Just easier to put the blame on Mame, boys.

Go sip a cocktail, have a swim, relax and dream of Gilda...

Old 14 June 2018, 02:26 AM   #24
jvd99
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, flippers are in every hot market, the actual product being flipped is irrelevant. For example, in the US, a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 retails for about $275 but the second it's sold and put up for sale online, the asking price is usually around $2000 and there are no shortage of buyers. That's a serious markup, but people are buying. I guess you could call it an annoying byproduct of capitalism and others would say secondary markets behave in an unfettered manner as capitalism intended.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I still love the grays.

I don’t care either way what they do.

I love my AD too.

I can typically get what I want from my AD, but I’ll pay over if I really want something.

Live and let live us my motto.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 14 June 2018, 02:32 AM   #26
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
Unfortunately, flippers are in every hot market, the actual product being flipped is irrelevant. For example, in the US, a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 retails for about $275 but the second it's sold and put up for sale online, the asking price is usually around $2000 and there are no shortage of buyers. That's a serious markup, but people are buying. I guess you could call it an annoying byproduct of capitalism and others would say secondary markets behave in an unfettered manner as capitalism intended.
Thanks for that, I had to Google it to know what on Earth you were talking about and I learned something new today.

I had assumed from the name and the mark-up that it was some sort of, ahem, gentleman’s “tonic”.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #27
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
Having had Pappys I can say for certain it is not 40x better than angels envy
Old 14 June 2018, 02:44 AM   #28
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

Grey is the new black...
Old 14 June 2018, 02:46 AM   #29
swils8610

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14 June 2018, 03:05 AM   #30
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Having had Pappys I can say for certain it is not 40x better than angels envy
I don't think its 5 times better than Blantons IMHO & thats at retail!