The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #241
Spence4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thank you. That was very informative on the small differences, particularly the finishing on the movements. Agree nothing groundbreaking, certainly the prettier bits inside the case do not lead to better performance, but if one company takes the tile to give that much attention to parts that only see the light of day once every ten years, I can agree that there is an empirical difference in fit and finish between the two. Thanks again for sharing the video.
Spence4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:11 AM   #242
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence4 View Post
Thank you. That was very informative on the small differences, particularly the finishing on the movements. Agree nothing groundbreaking, certainly the prettier bits inside the case do not lead to better performance, but if one company takes the tile to give that much attention to parts that only see the light of day once every ten years, I can agree that there is an empirical difference in fit and finish between the two. Thanks again for sharing the video.

people forget that when someone says this watch is "better" it doesn't mean the other watch is crap. They are all great and if Tudor is the baseline for comparison it does everything you need it to do.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:18 AM   #243
Spence4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I’m with you on that. I love my Tudor. For me it is the perfect (almost) GMT. I wish it were about 12-12.5 mm rather than the 14.5, but I’d rather the extra 2 mm than a cyclops. Personal preference.
Spence4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:22 AM   #244
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Love my Tudor
And that's all I'm saying
Old 20 September 2018, 04:39 AM   #245
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

I love my tudor 58 and I've been wearing it non stop over my Rolex gmt but the rolex definitely had a more luxury feel to it.

To add to some of the other points others have made about fit and finish, the 58 uses gold plating for the hands where as the rolex uses white gold hands.

I think the tudor S&G is also gold plating.

The tolerances of the rolex is very tight for things like lugs and bracelet which have led to "the rolex squeak" for new pieces whereas there has been posts showing a very slight gaps between lugs and bracelets for some new Tudors.

It's the little things that makes the tudor more "tool like" and the rolex more "luxury" which is, when you boil down to it, just a difference in style.

The movements (and pelagos bracelet) in recent Tudors contain more newer style tech than the rolex counterparts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:37 AM   #246
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
As true Tudor fans it’s our lot in life to give our WIS brethren who wear the crown a sense of superiority. After all, isn't it more knoble to give than receive?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 06:01 AM   #247
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
As true Tudor fans it’s our lot in life to give our WIS brethren who wear the crown a sense of superiority. After all, isn't it more knoble to give than receive?
dP
I agree - bow down to the crown...
Old 20 September 2018, 08:48 AM   #248
thegents
Banned

peoples choice.
thegents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:29 AM   #249
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I originally only had eyes for Rolex and Tudor was more of a curiosity. However when Tudor brought out the excellent Black Bay line, that all changed. I really scrutinized the Tudor and realized it had much of the Rolex DNA. Very nice finish, materials, dial and great vintage inspired styling. Even the Tudor presentation box is very nicely made. I jumped at the chance to get a black BB ETA and have never regretted it. Looking at the excellent BB58 too. Having said that, you can still tell a Rolex is built to a higher standard and you pay for that. I think both brands compliment each other nicely though and I'm happy to have them in my collection. My 2 cents. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:09 AM   #250
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
I bought my Tudor so that I can have a "Daytona" with a date.
Yep, similar here, so I can have a steel Date Day (since they only made around 6 steel Rolex Day Dates.)

In fact, I ended up selling all of my Rolex watches and wear this daily. There's something about Tudor, particularly older ones, that are very WIS-y and cool. I'd also take a Snowflake over many Rolex Sub models. Rolex seems to represent something a bit different than it did back when they were tool watches, and I think Tudor fills in nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3361.jpg (226.5 KB, 202 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:28 AM   #251
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Honestly....because its about one third the price.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:48 AM   #252
RayShepherd
Banned

Simple, more people opt for the Tudor because it's more cost effective. For example way more people own a Mercedes compared to a maybach, but more than half if not all these Mercedes owners would trade up For a maybach in a second if there aren't additional charges
RayShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:15 AM   #253
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
I will never understand why some Rolex owners are so quick to think everyone who buys a Tudor secretly wishes they could have or afford a Rolex. Unless you are referring to Rolex PM pieces this is just ridiculous. Anyone who can drop $4K on a Tudor could easily acquire a SS Rolex, whether it takes more saving etc.. It's not even a big enough jump in price to justify this thinking.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 07:56 AM   #254
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
I will never understand why some Rolex owners are so quick to think everyone who buys a Tudor secretly wishes they could have or afford a Rolex. Unless you are referring to Rolex PM pieces this is just ridiculous. Anyone who can drop $4K on a Tudor could easily acquire a SS Rolex, whether it takes more saving etc.. It's not even a big enough jump in price to justify this thinking.
Agreed. I just like Tudors better than Rolex's current offerings. I've been saying this for many years at this point, but there are few, if any 6-digit Rolex watches that interest me. It's always been about 5-digit and older Rolex, as well as Tudor, for me.
Old 22 September 2018, 07:58 AM   #255
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayShepherd View Post
Simple, more people opt for the Tudor because it's more cost effective. For example way more people own a Mercedes compared to a maybach, but more than half if not all these Mercedes owners would trade up For a maybach in a second if there aren't additional charges
Nope. It has nothing to do with money for many of us, and I've actually traded Rolex watches "down" for Tudors.
Old 22 September 2018, 08:14 AM   #256
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayShepherd View Post
I think a better automotive analogy is Tudor = VW, Rolex = Audi.

Lots of people own Audis for the badge snobbery, but the clever amongst us realise that VW offers 90% of the DNA for 75% of the price
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 08:35 AM   #257
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Why does it always have to be one OR the other? I'll take both any day.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:08 AM   #258
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
I think a better automotive analogy is Tudor = VW, Rolex = Audi.
Lots of people own Audis for the badge snobbery, but the clever amongst us realise that VW offers 90% of the DNA for 75% of the price

I hate this thread in particular, because it reoccurs on a regular basis, with owners snarkily advocating for their own purchases.

Please mods give Tudor owners their own space to be just like Rolex owners and pat themselves and each other on the back.

I've had a VW and I've had an Audi, and I am definitely not "the clever amongst us."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezerie
In the Audi forum, we dont talk much about VW's

Dont take it the wrong way

It is just the way it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinJune
Replace Tag Heur name with Tudor and all the Tudor fans will say it's the best design LOL
Ya might as well:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg way201f-ba0927-newer_main.jpg (74.6 KB, 161 views)
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:11 AM   #259
MinMay
Banned

Replace Tudor name with Rolex and all the Rolex fans will said it's the best design LOL
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:26 AM   #260
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Don’t have a Tudor but am seriously considering a panda! A little hesitant as it seems a bit controversial to me!
Old 22 September 2018, 09:48 AM   #261
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

The bottom line is that these are all Veblen goods whose value is dependent on price, and, the more you spend on them, the more the perceived value. Plus, those who spend more are going to defend their purchase as logical, but there's nothing logical about where Swiss automatic watch prices have gone. We're all essentially buying high end typewriters for fun, and, whether it's $4k or $9k, it's a bonkers pursuit.

Once I scratched the itch of buying some of the Rolex watches I thought I always wanted, it freed me up to care a bit less, and I just buy what I like, regardless of price or brand.
Old 22 September 2018, 10:31 AM   #262
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
I hate this thread in particular, because it reoccurs on a regular basis, with owners snarkily advocating for their own purchases.

Please mods give Tudor owners their own space to be just like Rolex owners and pat themselves and each other on the back.

I've had a VW and I've had an Audi, and I am definitely not "the clever amongst us."

Ya might as well:
Handled one of those the other day and it was very nice.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 10:34 AM   #263
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I hate this thread in particular
Do yourself a favour then and don't open it.
Old 22 September 2018, 10:52 AM   #264
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old expat beast View Post
do yourself a favour then and don't open it.
x2 lol
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:15 PM   #265
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have a Black Bay, and a 2018 Deep Sea.

To be honest, I love the Deep Sea so much that I fear I will never wear the Black Bay or any of my other watches again, but that may pass.

Having said that, I am one of those who can't really tell too much of the obvious difference in finishing quality between the two, at least as far as the case goes. In fact, I prefer the chamferd case edges on the Black Bay - they are stunning and add a lovely detail to the Tudor.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:59 PM   #266
exador
Banned

Quote:
That’s actually a valid point. I’ve never understood why Tudor doesn’t have its own Discussion Forum
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:02 PM   #267
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
i don't. I quite want a Tudor and there are several i would gladly have.

Comparing the two on the differences is one thing that is valid. Both are great watches and neither is a bad watch. Different objectively absolutely

The old tudor advertisement upthread was to point out that the intent was to be more of a value watch at a lower price point. That isnt a negative and it isnt a turnoff either. On the flip side, Tudor is more fun with their designs where Rolex is a bit more sterile.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 07:45 PM   #268
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Replace Tudor name with Rolex and all the Rolex fans will said it's the best design LOL

Yup

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 10:39 PM   #269
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
There was a poll a few weeks ago asking the Tudor owners if they also owned a Rolex. The majority did, and in many cases many Rolex's along with other nice pieces. That kind of flies in the face of "can't afford a Rolex" attitude that some can't help but throwing into these Tudor v Rolex threads.

I can't help but picture the guy posting that kind of stuff as being extremely proud of his BLNR. Sadly he probably bought it on a credit card that he's making minimum payments on, while living with his parents and leasing a low-spec 3-series while living paycheck to paycheck. But he wouldn't be caught dead with a Tudor on his wrist!
I think I need to correct your misconception, that guy has a low spec Audi A4. He would not be seen in a 3 series bmw
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 11:05 PM   #270
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I have never owned a Tudor before, but I have followed Tudor very closely after they introduced their heritage line. I really like what they have done and I think most of their new watches looks amazing. The black bay fifty-eight is really something, had it only had a date function. In my view it looks better then a Sub. I also very much like the Advisor with it's alarm function, I think that is a really cool complication on a mechanical watch.