The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2018, 03:38 PM   #31
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
gmt or sub and a reverso.
+1
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 03:43 PM   #32
Skanse
"TRF" Member

If you’re set on the RO then go for it. It’s an amazing piece

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2018, 03:47 PM   #33
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
My 15400 is a mostly daily, and it one of the most comfortable watches I have.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:04 PM   #34
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
I am a one watch guy by choice so I say buy the best you can afford and wear it and love it every day! Good luck!
Old 21 September 2018, 04:21 PM   #35
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I think the GMT + Reverso/other suggestions posted or the RO are both valid options. However, as some have pointed out, getting a blue 15400 on your wrist may take longer than anticipated (at MSRP) and that is out of your control. I walked into my local boutique ~6 months ago voicing interest in one (knowing full well about the SS shortage across various luxury brands) and was treated rather rudely by a sales person with a very condescending tone. Not sure I'll ever go back to that particular location after my experience there.

I think what you really need to decide on here is how long you're willing to wait.

Based on what you've said, I'd just go with the GMT for now. Maybe consider a BLNR if you'd like to add a splash of color/fun on the bezel. There is plenty of talk here on how that watch is also very hard to purchase at MSRP from an AD, but I am pretty sure you could get one sooner than expected by going around to a few ADs in-person to show how serious you are. The same applies with the LN, except it likely won't take as long.

Get the GMT as soon as you can. Save some bullets for another purchase down the road when the time is right. Maybe you'll get lucky and a year from now it'll be your turn for the blue RO. At that point, perhaps you could keep the GMT and add the RO to your collection.

My main point here is it sounds like a GMT would be great for a daily for you (and you like it!) and shouldn't take long to get one. It's a versatile watch that you can dress up or down (I'd personally say it can go with anything aside from a black or white tie event). Don't feel compelled to buy another watch alongside it since you're going the "cheaper" route. Save that money for the right time, like getting the call for the RO.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:52 PM   #36
PathfinderMP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 Blue 126300
Add another +1 to the suggestions for a GMT + a DJ41 in fluted bezel and jubilee, it makes for a surprisingly dressy watch, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2018, 07:55 PM   #37
Tigger
"TRF" Member

I like to think that the 3R’s of my small collection are a Rolex, a Reverso and a Royal Oak. (In my case a 16710, TT 1931 and 15202.)

If I was to limit myself to 3 watches those would suit me fine.

My advice would be to go for the Rolex and the Reverso now. You may find that they are all you need, but if not maybe you can add the Royal Oak later.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:26 PM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam80 View Post
LN GMT plus a fluted DJ on jubilee for me. The DJ, whilst not a dress watch in the strictest sense, is still quite dressy in that config imo

And if you bundle the purchase you might have a very short wait
I like this idea, think you can parlay the DJ into a BLNR buy actually.

I really like the blue 400 but not as a one and only, it marks up easily and I wouldn't feel relaxed wearing it in all situations but you may be different. On the other hand a polish is not very expensive and can be done by AP 4/5 times with integrity so there's that annual option. Or get a CE Seamaster/Planet Ocean with it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:58 PM   #39
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would get the LN GMT and a blue dial DJ41. With the money left over I would look at a Tudor GMT or a Omega Speedmaster or Seamaster. Have some fun, buy right and if something does not work flip out of it onto something that does. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 09:09 PM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
As someone who has had too many watches and worked my way up in a similar fashion, I would suggest getting the Rolex GMT and start wearing it.

The GMT can be worn for anything. See how you feel after having it for awhile. The AP although nice is a huge leap with a lot of value tied up in one piece.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 09:13 PM   #41
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If you really want the AP then go with it otherwise it will nag you until you buy it. More funds will come your way and it's easier to pick up a $10K watch than a $20K one. You can get the other two as time continues.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 09:43 PM   #42
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I would probably go with the GMT/Reverso combo. The RO is sweet and certainly iconic the thing that would concern me about it being a one and only would be its robust durability over time and abuse that a watch just naturally gets.

If it were me I would pass on the Reverso, it is certainly an icon and been on my list for years but every time I actually try one on and handle one I am truly underwhelmed. At this point I have decided to just admire but not own it. I would do the GMT now and then add to what was left over time and pick up the RO next. Save the RO for special occasions and let the GMT take the bulk of the daily abuse since we all know it can take it and be fixed for a fraction of the cost of the RO if it does break.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 10:36 PM   #43
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
No doubt 1 watch, in this case the Royal Oak
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 10:45 PM   #44
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

There’s no right or wrong answer here! From your post, seems that you’re already leaning towards the AP. Then go for it
I personally will prefer two watches but they have to be watches I want as much as the one watch! Otherwise pick what you want or you’ll regret it later
Old 21 September 2018, 11:17 PM   #45
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I’d go with a Rolex duo...
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:27 PM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I first started out with an older DJ and then later on, added my first 6 digit reference, a GMT2-c. This worked well for me, until I discovered TRF.

So...I'm going to second the GMT votes. And the poster who recommended a DJ to go with it.

But, it sounds like you really want the AP. What you're going to eventually find out from this addiction...I mean hobby , is that it's not so much a question of going "big," it's more of a question of getting what you want. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:28 PM   #47
Yandhi
Banned

Watch: Omega Moonwatch
Go big, you only need 1 wrist watch IMO
Yandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:30 PM   #48
tggilder
"TRF" Member

You guys are amazing - appreciate all the thoughtful responses. I don’t know why I hadn’t seriously considered the DJ as the 2nd one but I’ll definite think it / do more research. Might try one on first (I’ve tried the others that we’ve been discussing and agree that’s critical before buying).

I’d rather have a watch now than wait for a long time for a RO. And it’s good advice to walk (not run) and enjoy the journey of building a collection over time as I get more knowledgeable and my tastes evolve. So I think GMT as a starting point makes a ton of sense. From there I can see if there’s still a clear void in my collection and can reassess from there (RO, DJ, Reverso, etc).

Thanks again friends!
tggilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:37 PM   #49
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Of those two choices I take the gmt and the reverse all day long.

I don’t care for the AP and don’t think it is appropriate for a “dress” situation if that is a concern for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:48 PM   #50
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Go big
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:41 AM   #51
Stringerb3ll
"TRF" Member

If they were all available now I'd say go for the AP.

But have you thought about getting one of the cheaper ones and putting your name down for the wait list for the AP? If it is going to be a very long wait then you could save the money for that whilst you wait and enjoy the GMT or reverso immediately.

Just my two cents.
Stringerb3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:05 AM   #52
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

I was just in the same position as you.
I went with an Ss sub date and a 2 tone Daytona.
I was also thinking of 1 royal oak but decided against it because I can’t see myself wearing it day in and day out. With my submariner, I wear it everywhere with no worries.
So I’d suggest a GMT/Sub and dress combo. Reverso is gorgeous and classic. I think the dayjust with fluted bezel is also an excellent choice. I went with 2 tone Daytona because the watch spoke to me and I just had to get it and use it as a dress watch even though it’s not really considered such.

One day I will get a royal oak but I would always need a sub or GMT as the daily ss watch.

Best is luck.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:35 AM   #53
R!$
Banned

Icon10

AP RO 15400
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:46 AM   #54
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

I think you have to decide on what kind of person you are. Some people buy one watch and wear it their entire life. Others get a new watch every 6 months and sell the old one. Personally, I like having a variety so if I can get 2 watches I actually WANT for the price one that I want, I would likely pick the two just because I can switch back and forth. I would not however buy two watches that I don't want as opposed to one that I actually covet.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:26 AM   #55
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Consider throwing an Omega Speedmaster into the mix. I have no love for AP so the Royal Oak is a non-starter for me.

That’s the 44.25mm co-axial Speedmaster, but you can get a Speedy in sizes from 39mm to 42mm if the co-axial version is too big for you. Speedmaster Professionals can be found for under $4K.
Old 22 September 2018, 02:28 AM   #56
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
How about a GMT and a Rolex Prince?
I don't really love AP, certainly wouldn't make it my only one. You sound like the GMT is sold on you but you have many options for a dress watch to match.
Any DJ could do the job but I would go for the Prince even though it's discontinued.
Looks similar to a Reverso but it's Rolex.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:32 AM   #57
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I'd vote AP RO 15400. Excellent watch. With any money left over buy a used beater Omega Seamaster.
Old 22 September 2018, 04:11 AM   #58
emtee
"TRF" Member

BLNR now. See how you get on. Save for AP.

Trouble with buying 2 watches at once is how do you get to know them properly? It’s like dating 2 women at once ��
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:14 AM   #59
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tggilder View Post
Thanks everyone. Well aware the RO would take years - was at boutique in NYC a few weeks ago and they said they aren’t taking names for wait list until 2019. Waiting that long is not ideal.

Didn’t realize the GMT LN is that easy to get. All the AD’s are so quick to say that it’s a long wait even for that. But clearly it’s not years. I wouldn’t bother waiting for Pepsi or BLNR right now.

I think splitting budget across 2 very different watches makes a lot of sense for 1) diversifying and 2) ease to get. So thank you for the input!

Agree on 2 pieces versus the AP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:12 AM   #60
Rodolfo_4
"TRF" Member

What is a reverso?
Rodolfo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote