The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2017, 03:10 AM   #1
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Apple vs Rolex--the post you've all been waiting for...

So...on July 3 I went to the “dark side” and gave in to the Apple Watch hype. I wore it for two months straight, every day until September 2 and here is my brief take. To give some perspective, I have been collecting, buying and selling, and enjoying Swiss watches for almost 50 years and have owned a dozen Rolex watches since 1997 (I currently have four).

On the plus side, it's the missing piece in my ongoing excercise program. For the last two weeks of July and all of August I met or exceeded my daily exercise goals (690 calories per day, one hour of exercise, and standing for at least one minute twelve times a day). Exercises, heart rate, walks, etc are all saved to the iPhone health app. During that time, I lost ten pounds, moved my resting heart rate into the low 60’s, and dropped to a 34 waist from 36. For reference, I'm currently 72 and have tried to engage in regular exercise my whole adult life.

On the negative side, it is still a (relatively) unattractive piece of electronic gear and has lots of functions I will never use. I haven't reached the point where I'm too lazy to take my phone out to check emails or messages, I don't use it for music and I'm sure not going to wear an Apple Watch on one wrist and a Rolex on the other. Based on my use, I've memorized the exercise patterns so I now know what I need to do to (mostly) meet my exercise goals--I don't need an electronic nudge to remind me. For ongoing use I will likely wear it on an intermittent basis or when I exercise to save workouts and continue to measure progress.

Unfortunately, I can also see how future iterations are bad news for the mechanical Watch industry and I think this is reflected in a definite softening in sales. No one really “needs” a watch because we are surrounded by phones and tablets where the time is constantly displayed. It's not going to affect me (I'm wearing my SD 4000 right now) but I believe a real consolidation in the industry is just around the corner.

No flames please, but I'm curious to see what others think!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:25 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=apple
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:25 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I thought about getting an iWatch or its equivalent but decided against it. I usually leave my phone charging in another room and thought it would be nice to get my emails and phone calls in real time. But then I realized I would never wear the iWatch outside and the hassle of changing watches was too much of a problem. So I bagged the whole idea. I'll stick with rotating my 20 or so mechanical watches on a regular basis. BTW, I'm 74 and an EE by training.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:27 AM   #4
alamla01
"TRF" Member

I've had 2 apple watches, each time for less than 24 hours. Just seems useless to me.
alamla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:28 AM   #5
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Plenty of uses for exercising and productivity, all pros for the electronic wearables industry. Little to no influence on luxury watch brands. People will keep buying expensive jewelry, people will keep buying expensive watches.
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:30 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I'm 67 and like Apple products. And while I exercise everyday, I don't worry about heart rate, etc as my heart is in good shape. So I wear my Daytona while exercising and listen to music via my iPod.

Being retired, I don't see the need for an iWatch, and most of the time don't even carry my iPhone. If someone wants me they can email or text me and I'll get back to them later in the day. At my age, nothing seems urgent. My wife is constantly on her phone, so different strokes and all that.

I spend much of the day on my MacBook Air checking TRF and other sites. I am enjoying life without an Apple watch and probably will die while I'm typing a post to TRF. A great way to go, IMO.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:50 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
These watches are about function. Luxury watches are about emotion.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:52 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Exactly!

I own both.
I use both.
Two different tools for two different things.

These comparisons are pointless.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:57 AM   #9
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

I think another element is the "jewelry" aspect to it, which ties in with the emotion part. I personally view an Apple Watch as a device, a means for me (solely for working out: to track workouts, listen to music, be able to leave my phone in my gym locker).

On the other hand I view my Rolex watches as part of my style as I always have one on my wrist, and jewelry has been a part of one's style for a long, long time. I wince when I say a Rolex watch is a piece of jewelry, but it is something like a piece of art for me on my wrist and definitely a component of my style. It's not necessarily a means to tell the time as I am on my phone or computer for most of the day, but it tells me a story and reminds me of fond memories as a companion. Longevity is another aspect as an Apple Watch will be outdated in a year where you can see Rolex watches 40+ years old still being bought, sold, and enjoyed.
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 04:01 AM   #10
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Retired and 70 here. Caught the mechanical watch bug half dozen hears ago. Surrounded by Apple products--MacBook, iMac, iPhone and iPad. First desktop was an LC II. But...never been interested in an Apple Watch.
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 04:06 AM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
To me, the Rolex is jewelry with one function. I take that back, I have a DJ, so it has two functions. On the note of smartwatches, when it comes to fitness functions, I think Garmin is head and shoulders above the Apple Watch....but they're all so hideous to look at.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 04:12 AM   #12
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
I have an Apple in my pocket and a Rolex on my wrist, this is as it should be.

With that said, I offered my wife any Rolex she wanted and she asked if I would please get her an Apple watch with a stainless bracelet, I did so gladly and bought a GMT with the money I saved.
Old 14 September 2017, 04:13 AM   #13
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
To me, the Rolex is jewelry with one function. I take that back, I have a DJ, so it has two functions. On the note of smartwatches, when it comes to fitness functions, I think Garmin is head and shoulders above the Apple Watch....but they're all so hideous to look at.
That's where Apple fits in, it's nice to look at (for the most part, a lot of people would agree here), and it serves the same functions (for the most part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
I have an Apple in my pocket and a Rolex on my wrist, this is as it should be.

With that said, I have offered my wife any Rolex she wanted and she asked if I would please get her an Apple watch with a stainless bracelet, I did so gladly and bought a GMT with the money I saved.
A case of you win some...you win some?!
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:02 AM   #14
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

I love my gshock more than I would an Apple watch. Apple makes great stuff, I have Ipad and Iphone but a watch? Apple does not know about watches sorry.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:03 AM   #15
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
The only function I found truly useful is not even available anymore. I would control Spotify from my Apple Watch while in my house and iPhone was charging. Of course Apple wants you to use Apple Music with the Apple Watch, so now I can't control my Spotify unless I use strange and clunky third party Watch apps, and that just doesn't work well for obvious reasons. Check my post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=apple
at the bottom of this thread for my 5 week experience with the Apple Watch..

No contest in my book, and I too have Apple EVERYTHING.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:14 AM   #16
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I think luxury watches has become jewelry. Men's jewelry (and some women, too). it is a different market. Some people may not wear it for it's intended function)
Also, People who has Rolex can definitely afford a Apple watch. But people who wears Apple watch are not necessarily able to afford a Rolex. I don't think it's market share will be affected much.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:32 AM   #17
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Got lazy and didn't use the search function--the replies are certainly consistent though!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 06:05 AM   #18
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Add me to the list of people that tried and hated it. I purchased the Apple Watch and tried my darnedest to like use it. It was worn every single day for like 2 weeks because I wanted to make sure I learned how to use it and gave it a fair shot. Long story short, I sold it on day 15.
Old 14 September 2017, 06:10 AM   #19
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This.
liebs520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 06:24 AM   #20
PascalSwiss
"TRF" Member

Maybe an electronic watch is useful for some people. But to me, a watch carries tradition, craftsmanship and longevity. That's what I'm looking for. I would never buy a non mechanical watch. I don't like it.
PascalSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 06:27 AM   #21
Norbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Add me to the list of people that tried and hated it. I purchased the Apple Watch and tried my darnedest to like use it. It was worn every single day for like 2 weeks because I wanted to make sure I learned how to use it and gave it a fair shot. Long story short, I sold it on day 15.
Well this new version might change your mind. Its the first version that interests me. Being a stand alone device makes sense to me. I'm still going to wait it out though.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 06:36 AM   #22
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Apple doesn't sell watches because an Apple watch is nothing more than a wristsize computer with some apps IMO.
Old 14 September 2017, 06:41 AM   #23
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

I have commented a few times about Apple Watch (or similar) in regards to a Rolex (or similar).

I wear a Rolex on my left and an Apple Watch on my right.

I get texts, emails etc on my watch which makes what I do far more efficient. It is also extremely rude to pull out your phone to check an incoming message while in a meeting. With a subtle turn of the wrist. There it is.

My Apple Watch on my right makes me the money to have a Rolex (or whatever you want to do with your money) on my left wrist.

A Rolex to Apple Watch comparison is literally an Apple to Rolex comparison.
JasonKrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 06:52 AM   #24
Melchizedek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Well this new version might change your mind. Its the first version that interests me. Being a stand alone device makes sense to me. I'm still going to wait it out though.
For me the whole geek factor is the problem, just like the Bluetooth earpieces. And there’s no way to compare a $10k watch to a $400 watch.

Now, if you say that you have both luxury pieces and you use this strictly for working out than yes! Please use it, i encourage you. But don’t make it sound like you don’t need a luxury piece anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 06:57 AM   #25
loupe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Exactly the same for me. I'd been wanting one for ages but never actually thought I would use it, i finally bought one last month.
My son now loves the 2 week old Apple Watch.
loupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:23 AM   #26
PascalSwiss
"TRF" Member

Well we need to redefine what a watch is. The evolution of technology is phenomenal. If someone wants to go with time, a "Apple watch" would be an option. I read someone uses it as a tool for work which I believe to be great. But what do we understand under the term watch ?

To me, an Apple "watch" could pretty much be considered to be a modern mini computer you wear on your wrist. Which I consider to be different from a classic time piece...

The result would be that if you need a modern mini computer on your wrist for what you're doing then the apple "watch" is a good thing.

But if you're looking for a Watch as a timepiece, it's just, sorry to say, garbage.
PascalSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:39 AM   #27
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

Most of the time, my Rolex doesn't tell the right time.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:57 AM   #28
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Of course as an Apple addict i bought one. But this is really one of their products i dare to see that it sucks. First of all, i have sleeves, so it isn't working well for me, but second, it is way to nerdy, looks dumb and has no class at all. I sold it after 2 weeks.

Now yesterday on their keynote they said they are now the number 1 watch brand above Rolex with a 97% positive rate. And i almost know for sure that is complete bullshit. I don't see many people with the Apple watch and the people i know of are not really happy with it, but they wear it because it was a bit pricey (uh).
Old 14 September 2017, 11:02 AM   #29
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalSwiss View Post

But if you're looking for a Watch as a timepiece, it's just, sorry to say, garbage.
Sure, but by that rationale, a DD is more of a calendar than a watch.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:11 AM   #30
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Very well put.

My mechanical watches make me happy...the apple products I own annoy me.

But from what I see around me, the majority of people are making the choice of function over emotion and wither choosing no watch or an Apple toy.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote