The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2017, 01:26 PM   #181
jazznpool
"TRF" Member

If they are nice and polite about it, sure, no problem. Nobody has asked.
jazznpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 08:36 AM   #182
superpippo
"TRF" Member

It's not a Ferrari, it's just a bloody watch.
superpippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 08:39 AM   #183
ekiro
Banned

No one likes people that are too nervous to let their friends handle the watch. You're pretty much telling them they are incompetent and clumsy by doing so. It's not like they're going to drop it... I've never been asked. In fact when someone asks me about my Rolex I take it off and let them have a closer look at it.
ekiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:59 AM   #184
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Well, that would depend on the watch right?
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 01:10 PM   #185
psychokandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Crown.Rose.Shield
when i had my first SubC, a good friend of mine noticed it and i took out for him to try. Now he's into Rolex as well. :D
psychokandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:41 PM   #186
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Do any of you allow friends or colleagues to handle your Rolex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Yes, people rarely notice or comment, but occasionally a friend will ask to see one. A real good friend was thinking about buying a Sub so I had him wear mine while we were out for dinner. Would have let him take it for the week, but he refused. He is my golf partner and a really solid guy. I trust him very much.
He is still on the fence. Loves the watch, but is very fiscally conservative. Very well off, but generally does not treat himself to luxury things. Sooner or later I will wear him down and he will buy one....LOL

I had a similar situation when I got my SubC and no longer wore my DSSD. He was very nervous about wearing it mostly bc of the fact it was a graduation gift for good grades but I allowed him to wear it for my wedding and I insisted he wore it when I was on vacation. He was a professional and the watch was insured. I'd already shatter the crystal and bezel once and had it repaired. He really wanted a nice watch and had saved hard for one. I kinda played a trick on him telling him if he did not want to wear it while I was on our 12 day honeymoon he could just give it back to me before I left but he did not know we were leaving at 4 o'clock in the morning so I told him to wear it until we got back. At the airport I sent him my AD info to check out some watches. Long story short when I got back I left him wear my SubC for a few days and within a month we have another wis. I am in no way a rich man but my true friends trust. Possessions can be replaced and he has done many great things for me. He eventually got a GMTc then in about 3 months traded for the Sub. He liked the DSSD as I did but with long sleeve shirts it's just too thick. Now he is off and running. And feel that I have helped him find a
Passion about watches and if that means I took a very small risk letting him
Wear one of my watches the reward is wonderful. Now I'm not saying I'd let him
Keep my AP at the time but I probably would if he asked) but falling in love with Rolex can lead to those higher end watches. In my opinion the minute rush of letting him wear a watch I wore 5-10x a year was well worth seeing if a quality watch was right for him. I guess I've been blessed by my old AD that sent me a 1-2 week old AP to wear for about a week to see if I liked it. My ex purchased it without me knowing and gifted it to me. We are divorced now but I guess the best thing is now I have another friend into watches now and love teaching him new things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 03:24 PM   #187
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
For those that say "it's just a watch" or "just a SubC", perhaps try and remember that for some of us the cost of even a cheap Rolex is a lot of money. I would not hand a stranger my watch, and wouldn't feel bad saying no if asked. I also collect custom knives and my friends all know I'm not handing a custom to anyone to use for cutting. I've seen too many people use a knife as a screwdriver and I don't want my knife chipped or have the tip broken because someone doesn't use the right tool for a job.

I will hand either to a friend I trust and who knows what they are asking.
morimotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 03:29 PM   #188
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I've met a couple of guys on here and for them, it's no problem. My best mate at home, again no problem. One or two work colleagues who are into watches but that's it.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 03:32 PM   #189
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

A little background, I am a vintage guy.
I have a buddy that has found several watches for me.
And, he likes to wear a nice watch sometimes. But his finances are kind of roller coaster like.
So, we have an agreement, I will "sell" him a Rolex, but it is more of a safety deposit, he will wear the watch for a month to maybe 9 months then if he finds something he likes more or needs the money, he sells it back to me for the same price.
The price is usually well under market. For example the last watch was a SS Datejust that we swapped back and forth for $800.
I only wear my watches on a special occasion, so the joke is that he wears my watches more than I do.

So, yes. I do let my friends wear my watches.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 24 September 2017 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: ...
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 03:40 PM   #190
shabaang
Banned

no, what for? They can see it on my wrist. They can can go down to any rolex store and demo it. The person could drop it, scratch it, get it dirty etc..need I say more?

maybe those of you who don't care purchased pre owned..the ocd isn't as bad with the pre owned bunch.
shabaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:03 PM   #191
reddahaydn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Id have no issues, I scratched the blnr the first day I wore it. I purchased it to wear everyday so there's no use trying to keep it perfect.
I even let my toddler play with it as long as he's on the bed, but I'm a lot more careful with him now he's started throwing things!!!!
My wife wears my datejust more than me and she's not the carefulest person ever, same thing, id have no issues letting someone look at that.
I try not to draw attention to it at work tho.
reddahaydn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:14 PM   #192
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Nobody asked. I would if anyone is interested let him have a close look.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 06:18 PM   #193
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Do any of you allow friends or colleagues to handle your Rolex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morimotom View Post
For those that say "it's just a watch" or "just a SubC", perhaps try and remember that for some of us the cost of even a cheap Rolex is a lot of money. I would not hand a stranger my watch, and wouldn't feel bad saying no if asked. I also collect custom knives and my friends all know I'm not handing a custom to anyone to use for cutting. I've seen too many people use a knife as a screwdriver and I don't want my knife chipped or have the tip broken because someone doesn't use the right tool for a job.

I will hand either to a friend I trust and who knows what they are asking.

I agree with that and I'm a middle class guy. I let my friends use my truck if they need it. Yea they are expensive but there is a realm these people are my friends. They would do anything for me and I would trust them with anything. God forbid something did happen bc it could happen as easy to you as it is did to them. I used to always let one of my best friends use my Boston Whaler 320 outrage if I couldn't go out. In Cape May harbor the current can be down right nasty. 3-5 kts. He smashed the front on the dock and did some damage. I considered it a little bit of a blessing bc all week we hung out, drank beer, and repaired the fiberglass. I get some
People are very protective of their possessions but I guess I just trust my friends and if I can't trust them time for new friends. I used to let a few of my buddies take my 750 rwhp Corvette to the track without me. And I'm not a worrier. I was more worried about them wrecking into a safety barrier and having to pay for that bc I watched a guy put a viper in tube barier with a bill of $13500 I had a limited track insurance on the car and imho it's all about trust. I just asked them not to pop the clutch and be very careful of other drivers bc that car was faster than about anything out there. I understand everything and yea $7500 for a SS watch is expensive but I don't see anything. More likely to happening with them wearing it than me. In college my room mates fater was Dan Jennings. The VP for the marlins. He made news a few years ago when he named himself manager of any of you remember. We all went out one night and one of our other roommates
Asked to wear the 03 Marlins ring. Standing in line at the bar the ring slid off hit the ground and the crow. Popped off...... we wee all stunned and Dan just busted out laughing. He said " don't worry. I'll get it fixed". My roommate said oh so it's a fake? Dan said no it's identical I just don't wear the one I was presented. So long story short my freshman roommate broke a $35,000 outside of Gallettes in Tuscaloosa.was an easy fix though. Just had to have the crown re attached. Now if something is destroyed on purpose that's one thing but accidents happen to everyone and im damn sure not living my life what if. If I can bring happiness to m true friends I want to do it. I mean hell A buddy just did somewhere between $35k-60k damage to my boat a few days ago but it honestly wasn't his fault. Ryan it SUCKS. I don't have the chase right now and am going to have to move some
Finances around to try to get this fixed. I've I've had the boat 2-3 months and now both engines are DESTROYED. But with the hurricane people are looking for boats. I'm going to try to repair the engines asap and buy a newer, larger boat hopefully.

Old 24 September 2017, 06:30 PM   #194
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Not really,,no one ever asks.

Except a watch enthusiast I know from the golf club.

He wanted to look at my Deep Sea - D blue as he had never seen one before which surprised me.
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 06:54 PM   #195
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST HAM ROLEX View Post
Not really,,no one ever asks.

Except a watch enthusiast I know from the golf club.

He wanted to look at my Deep Sea - D blue as he had never seen one before which surprised me.

The guy I let wear mine would never ask but he is always interested. Asking about new watches and even sometime brings up brands I'm not familiar with. His wife even said something to my ex wife so I just felt why not let him wear it. It's going to just sit in the safe.

Old 24 September 2017, 09:53 PM   #196
zengineer
"TRF" Member

My car cost 12 times what my average watch cost and I've allowed, even encouraged, about 10 people to drive it in the past year. If someone I've known for more than 3 hours is even remotely interested in a watch I am wearing I will hand it to them. It's a great way to spread the watch collecting disease.

Did you guys in the "never" camp not allow other family members to touch, much less hold, your infant children?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 10:32 PM   #197
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
I have 4 friends I will hand my watch to. We are all watch and car guys so if I don't get the watch back I get a car in theory.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 10:46 PM   #198
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I've never been asked, but I would. It's just a watch after all.
Handle it, try it on, heck wear it for the day and see if you like it.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 11:36 PM   #199
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Some close friends have asked to try whatever I'm wearing on. Yes, why not?

Doesn't happen very often.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:36 AM   #200
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
I am happy for people to handle,try on the watches and will also let friends and neighbours drive our classic car as i have got older it seems i get more out of giving stuff then receiving,,,,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:40 AM   #201
Bryant Park
Banned

Blessed to have nice things, twice blessed to have friends and family to share them with.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 08:22 PM   #202
regnant
"TRF" Member

Surely, why not
Old 25 September 2017, 08:47 PM   #203
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I have taken my watch a couple of times and those requests came from really close friends whom I have known for decades. I will just make sure that we are seated down and the handling of the watch was done over a table.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 09:03 PM   #204
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
Generally, I have no problem with this. However, recently my platona was getting passed around the dinner table and I watched it like a hawk, made me realize that I have my limits haha
drmovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:48 PM   #205
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Some close friends have asked to try whatever I'm wearing on. Yes, why not?

Doesn't happen very often.
That

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 02:00 AM   #206
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
My car cost 12 times what my average watch cost and I've allowed, even encouraged, about 10 people to drive it in the past year. If someone I've known for more than 3 hours is even remotely interested in a watch I am wearing I will hand it to them. It's a great way to spread the watch collecting disease.

Did you guys in the "never" camp not allow other family members to touch, much less hold, your infant children?
I would always let someone drive my car (Mercedes C class) before handling my watch. I see your points, but the analogies aren't entirely accurate.

A. Insurance will pay for repair if they damage my car.
B. If they decide to steal my car, it is much easier to recover than if they run away with my watch. And again, insurance.
C. I'd speculate that anyone who asks to hold a baby understands the value of human life. This may or may not be the case with my watch.

Still, I've handed my watch to several friends who have asked. So far, none of them have dropped one.
morimotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 03:31 AM   #207
Bigblu10
Banned

I have no friends nor colleagues, so the answer is obvious, LOL.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:18 PM   #208
shabaang
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

This is actually a perfect example of how to get your watch stolen. Meet somebody in a bar (or anywhere else), talk for a few hours, now you're best friends and they're running out the door with your watch

Zengineer : "but but I knew him for 3 hours"

It's a little concerning that you guys are this easy going with your watches.
shabaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:53 PM   #209
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
I don’t look very approachable ( unfortunately :-( ) so don’t get asked by many , but if a friend asked I’d stare him down for a while then give him a five mile smile and say only if I can tie your shoe laces together .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 05:14 PM   #210
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I asked to look at a relatively new friend’s digital watch the other day at a bar and slid my watch acrossed the table to him in exchange for a few minutes. Also, the last time I bought a Porsche, I drove straight to my best friend’s house and handed him the keys. I just don’t worry about that kinda thing.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sharing , survey