The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 23 August 2017, 02:54 PM   #1
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Anyone noticed the rotor noise with new 3235 movement

I've worn my new 126600 daily since I got it A little over 3 weeks ago. I have noticed that the rotor noise inside is different/louder than any Rolex that I've owned before.
I know that the Calibre 3235 has 90% new parts so one would expect a different feel to the movement but in my years of collecting Rolex a noisy rotor meant time for service and this watch is factory fresh.
Also this watch is running -4 sec/day; I know it's supposed to be +/-2 but I figured in may settle in possible with more wear.
Has anybody else noticed this noise compared to the previous series of movements?
Thanks for responses.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

can you describe when you hear the "rotor sound"

to your knowledge, when was it last serviced ?
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 12:28 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
can you describe when you hear the "rotor sound"

to your knowledge, when was it last serviced ?
It's a new movement.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:06 AM   #4
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, so I went to my AD today and checked another reference that has the same 3235 movement(Datejust 41) and the rotor noise is more pronounced in that watch as well.
Apparently this is the way this new movement is. As for the -4 sec/day I will keep up with it to see if the movement settles in inside the -2 +2 window. I still would like feedback on others experience with references having the 3235 movement.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I've yet to service one yet, but from dealing with the older calibers, I can see right away they did away with the old style Rotor and Axle! Ball bearings instead. Which is going to be way better as they age compared to those axles. Don't really know why Rolex continued to use that design for so long.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:24 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

The downside of this new ball bearing system is that when it's broken you'll need to replace the whole rotor, unlike the older movements where you could just replace the axle.
Old 25 August 2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Another downside is apparently the rotor noise when using ball bearings. Wasn't that the case with the Zenith daytonas too?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 09:30 AM   #8
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Another downside is apparently the rotor noise when using ball bearings. Wasn't that the case with the Zenith daytonas too?
The ball bearings in my ETA 2892 based pieces isn't loud at all...maybe I'm not swinging my hand fast enough.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:02 PM   #9
kadakn01
"TRF" Member

i have not heard the rotor moving at all, and i have a large collection of automatics and this is by far the quietest. Mine is off by 4 seconds after nearly 2 weeks of wearing, so that much in a day is unusual, I would say to send it to Rolex service if this continues.
kadakn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:14 PM   #10
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Take it to the RSC.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 05:16 PM   #11
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Even Daytona has that rotor noise .. 116520 etc
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 06:50 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
I've worn my new 126600 daily since I got it A little over 3 weeks ago. I have noticed that the rotor noise inside is different/louder than any Rolex that I've owned before.
I know that the Calibre 3235 has 90% new parts so one would expect a different feel to the movement but in my years of collecting Rolex a noisy rotor meant time for service and this watch is factory fresh.
Also this watch is running -4 sec/day; I know it's supposed to be +/-2 but I figured in may settle in possible with more wear.
Has anybody else noticed this noise compared to the previous series of movements?
Thanks for responses.
There is nothing wrong with your watch its because now the cal 3235 has a ball-bearing rotor and this type is far nosier than the older sleeve type bearing.And your watch is not supposed to be +/-2 100% every day for life, all it means its been tested on a machine to a precision -2+2, and at time of testing the movement did meet that spec.Much like when they are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE -4+6 seconds to get movements chronometer certification result is at time of testing only just to state its passed. Testing to a precision on a timing machine to -2+2 in a controlled environment,can be different to how the movement could perform while on the wrist .There are many variables to over come ,first the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, mainspring power-reserve and last the owners daily wearing habits.For any mechanical movement to run within a few seconds out of 86400 in a day truly is a mechanical marvel,

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 02:47 AM   #13
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
....For any mechanical movement to run within a few seconds out of 86400 in a day truly is a mechanical marvel,
Thanks Peter; and I totally agree.
Old 28 September 2017, 01:44 AM   #14
24 nights
Banned

Watch: 43sd +Daytona's
My 126600 is loud too, reminds me of a sinn watch i had about 3 years ago. however after wearing the watch for a month and a half i have only lost 54 seconds. Not bad imo.
24 nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 01:11 AM   #15
SveinEA51
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760 and 126600
I have noticed the noise - a small wine from my new 126600. Mine is also running at minus 4 seconds a day and I will bring it to the AD for an adjustment within a month. I have been wearing mine for 5 weeks since new and the slowing is 100% stable. It is however a beautiful watch with a perfect size and balance.
SveinEA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 04:53 AM   #16
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry333 View Post
Even Daytona has that rotor noise .. 116520 etc

Sure it has ball bearings too

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:21 AM   #17
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Havent noticed yet on my DJ41 compared to my Subc, but look forward to a compare and contrast when I get home.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:27 AM   #18
4lx
"TRF" Member

Just listened out for it on my 2 week old DJ 41, and i agree the rotor is louder than my other rolexes (Sub and GMT). Saying that i also set the watch precisely to the second when i got it, and checking now the watch has gained less than a second since i first wound it 2 weeks ago. It still amazes me how accurate these things are!
4lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:31 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Maybe my hearing is off, but I can’t hear a damn thing coming out of mine
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 12:17 AM   #20
watchnut73
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
Thanks for responses.
Same rotor noise here on a new sea dweller, but you do have to listen out for it.
watchnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 07:39 AM   #21
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

I've always heard that the main reason Rolex didn't use ball bearings in the rotor was it was considered noisy. So this does make sense that under the right conditions you migh be able to hear it. But, if it really bothers you or just doesn't seem right I'd defininitely get it checked out.
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 06:25 AM   #22
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
My new Sea Dweller is also noise but you really have to really listen for it. I noticed it when I first got it but I now it seems that it has gotten smoother. When I say noise I mean that I hear or feel nothing at all from my other Rolex watches but my SD43 has a tiny vibration / noise when shaken. But I mean tiny.
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 06:40 AM   #23
DahMan
Banned

Rotor noise

I too bought a 126333 3235, around 3 weeks ago, waited about 2 months for this particular model to ship to AD from Rolex TTYG Green Roman Jub,
I too noticed the rotor noise, not as prominent as say an Omega, but definitely there. I attributed it to the thinner case thickness, as a possible reason for it, in comparison to the sub C , GMT, etc...
The old story use to be”if you can hear the movement, it isn’t a Rolex”
Well this one is direct from the factory, maybe case metal thickness as well, they are slim.
Love it, at any rate.
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 06:47 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Ok, sitting here with my SD43 .... can't hear a damn thing ... is it just me?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 07:10 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Just take the rotor off, problem solved

Old 31 March 2018, 07:38 AM   #26
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Just take the rotor off, problem solved

Bas you ole problem solver you................
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 08:09 AM   #27
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Bas you ole problem solver you................
Old 12 April 2018, 08:07 AM   #28
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
I would not worry about it. In comparison to my submariner it does make a tiny bit of noise, but when compared to my JLC NSA with similar bearings it is not too bad at all. I would not even compare it to the rotor sound of a 7750.

I think the only thing that might bug me a little bit would be the -4 sec a day. I too would want it at +2 or less for a watch of this caliber. Pun intended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 09:26 PM   #29
jakeysrolex
Banned

Watch: 116619
+4 seconds isn’t spec, no matter what forum people tell you. Rolex says 2 seconds and that’s what it was tested to perform to, after having been cased. If it was mine, I’d go have it regulated to spec.
jakeysrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 04:46 PM   #30
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
I have the same noise with my 126333, thought it was an issue, but compared it with other DJ's and they had the same noise.
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote