The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2019, 12:25 AM   #61
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
My first Rolex was the 114060 after years of wearing date watches. I was worried I would miss it to. Here is what I did. I am sure it will work for you.

When I get up in the morning I check the date on my phone. I say aloud, "today is the 19th. Remember that. Lo and behold I do.
Worth it if I get to wear the 114270

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
MordinSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:32 AM   #62
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Only watch I have without a date complication is my Daytona. I deal with it. Just like having the date for some reason.
Old 20 February 2019, 12:52 AM   #63
ak5659
"TRF" Member

All my previous watches except for the JLC had dates, but my eyesight got to the point where I couldn't read the date without getting my glasses out. So I got used to pulling my phone out to quickly check the date, which ends up being faster than putting on glasses to look at my watch. Plus that tells me the day, which I also lose track of from time to time, as a much cheaper option to a Day Date. Next watch will likely be a datejust though. I'll have to see if the Cyclops helps me enough on a day to day basis. At least that's probably the excuse I'll tell myself to get another Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ak5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:54 AM   #64
bigchelis
Banned

Watch: Rolex 114270
IMHO having no Date watches is the absolute purists way to have an enjoy a watch.

Had a Rolex with GMT function and date and that drove me nuts. Setting the time and using it while traveling was not my cup of tea. The Time only 114270 I have now is much easier and useful to use even when traveling. I just pull crown and move the hour back or forward. Love the simplicity of it. Did this this week while traveling.

Other perks with not date:
clean dial- symmetry
easier to read time
less expensive to have serivce
less moving parts. In theory more robust

Less is more
bigchelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:56 AM   #65
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5659 View Post
All my previous watches except for the JLC had dates, but my eyesight got to the point where I couldn't read the date without getting my glasses out. So I got used to pulling my phone out to quickly check the date, which ends up being faster than putting on glasses to look at my watch. Plus that tells me the day, which I also lose track of from time to time, as a much cheaper option to a Day Date. Next watch will likely be a datejust though. I'll have to see if the Cyclops helps me enough on a day to day basis. At least that's probably the excuse I'll tell myself to get another Rolex.

Haha you tell yourself what you have to. Just get that Datejust

Old 20 February 2019, 01:41 AM   #66
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I will say the best part of having a watch with no date is setting it? No date window to fool with, no AM/PM to worry about, just set the time and off to the races!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:59 AM   #67
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
My Alpinist has a date complication, but by Air King does not.

My Alpinist was my only watch for a long time and I used the date function often.

When I laid eyes on the Air King, I immediately fell in love with it, but I had some serious reservations about buying a watch without a date complication. I felt like I would be missing out on something, like a watch just wasn't complete without a date. However, since I fell in love with the Air King the same way I fell in love with the Alpinist - I decided to take the plunge.

After 4 months on the wrist, I will occasionally look down at my Air King to check the date out of habit, but I don't really find myself missing a date per-se. It forces me to check the date in the morning and remember it, which honestly is not a bad thing. After wearing my Air King so much, I noticed that when I switch to my Alpinist, I find myself a little adverse to the way the date window breaks up the dial.

I guess my answer to your concern is: A date complication is really convenient, but I've gotten used to having no date and really don't mind not having the date. I've really grown to appreciate and love a time-only watch and I realize that it's not a lesser watch just because it's uncomplicated.
Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:05 AM   #68
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I really need the date function in all my watches with Cyclops!!!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:10 AM   #69
Wools
"TRF" Member

I could never have a watch without a date. It's the only complication I need but it's the most important one for me.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:21 AM   #70
Kevain
"TRF" Member

I thought I would hate living without it. I used to wear watches with date, then switched to an Apple watch, so again: date. When I started to buy mechanical watches I always bought watches with a date complication.

Until about a month ago when I bought a 214270. Haven't worn anything else since, and it turns out I never actually check the date on my watch

I literally never seem to look at my watch when I need the date. I always either remember which day it is, or I check my phone. I should try wearing my Planet Ocean again to verify the results of this experiment, but so far I haven't missed it once.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:25 AM   #71
dreyep
Banned

Watch: 114270, 16570
I've only missed a date function on mine once, which was towards the end of last week.

My wife had taken me to A&E (what you call ER in the US) after I'd skidded off my road bike and messed up my face, chest and legs pretty badly. In the triage they asked me if I knew what the date was. I thought for a while and nodded. Yes, it's the 14th of November.

But the date function I needed was a month function not a day of the month function. Fortunately, despite the concussion, the brain scan showed no bleeds and I got away with road rash and broken ribs and collarbone.
dreyep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:45 AM   #72
Rolex_Jack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36
I love the looks of a no-date, but I find myself looking at it very frequently needing to know which day it is...which I can never seem to remember. Most say use your cell phone, but I work in a place that doesn’t allow phones, which makes it all the more frustrating. So, I really prefer to have a date window just for the pure lack of being able to remember!

Rolex_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #73
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I have a couple of time only pieces and although I appreciate the beauty, simplicity and symmetry of the dial, I miss the date after some time.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #74
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Here’s my take. All the time I was working I wore a watch with a date. When I was working and travelling I wore a watch with a date and some sort of second time zone feature. At weekends I wore a non date watch. No matter how I tried when I was working I needed a date even though I was never without my phone. Now that I’m retired all my watches are without date apart from my PP Annual Calendar. I use the PP more for to remind me of what day it is rather than the date....
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:55 AM   #75
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I really love the look of the OP, EX1 or the 14060M but I strongly prefer a date function on my watch.
In the early days my cuote would be: “no date<>no deal”.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:56 AM   #76
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I used to wear a Movado that didn't have the date. That watch would drive me a little crazy when I would look to check and not have it available. I can say that in the future every one of my watch purchases will have the date as a complication. I'm just too used to seeing it on my wrist for it not to be there.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:58 AM   #77
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carondelet View Post
My Alpinist has a date complication, but by Air King does not.

My Alpinist was my only watch for a long time and I used the date function often.

When I laid eyes on the Air King, I immediately fell in love with it, but I had some serious reservations about buying a watch without a date complication. I felt like I would be missing out on something, like a watch just wasn't complete without a date. However, since I fell in love with the Air King the same way I fell in love with the Alpinist - I decided to take the plunge.

After 4 months on the wrist, I will occasionally look down at my Air King to check the date out of habit, but I don't really find myself missing a date per-se. It forces me to check the date in the morning and remember it, which honestly is not a bad thing. After wearing my Air King so much, I noticed that when I switch to my Alpinist, I find myself a little adverse to the way the date window breaks up the dial.

I guess my answer to your concern is: A date complication is really convenient, but I've gotten used to having no date and really don't mind not having the date. I've really grown to appreciate and love a time-only watch and I realize that it's not a lesser watch just because it's uncomplicated.
I'm hoping that's what happens with me.
Old 20 February 2019, 03:00 AM   #78
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyep View Post
I've only missed a date function on mine once, which towards the end was last week.

My wife had taken me to A&E (what you call ER in the US) after I'd skidded off my road bike and messed up my face, chest and legs pretty badly. In the triage they asked me if I knew what the date was. I thought for a while and nodded. Yes, it's the 14th of November.

But the date function I needed was a month function not a day of the month function. Fortunately, despite the concussion, the brain scan showed no bleeds and I got away with road rash and broken ribs and collarbone.
Holy cow! Glad you're still here to talk about watches. Interesting take. Thanks!
Old 20 February 2019, 03:29 AM   #79
Paul7
Banned

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I have a jubilee/fluted bezel SS DJ I inherited from my dad which of course I'll never sell. I use it for business M-F but it really is too dressy for casual, at least here in NM. Am also looking at getting a 114270 for weekends, leisure, vacations, and biking/hunting/fishing. The date is useful for business days but I'm thinking for everything else, why do I need a date at hand, I'm trying to unwind. Unlike the time, the date doesn't change during the day. When I'm on vacation I don't care what day it is.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:32 AM   #80
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Only watch I would ever buy without the date is the Daytona. Other than that I have to be able to look down and see the date on my wrist for convenience. I think no date watches are just as nice. But I prefer the date always
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:41 AM   #81
dreyep
Banned

Watch: 114270, 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Holy cow! Glad you're still here to talk about watches. Interesting take. Thanks!
Thanks too! You might be thinking I take my watch on rides. I don't, as it happens. I got picked up by a car as I was lying there pretty helpless on the road with my hand up in the air, like at school, shouting help. The kind guy took me back to my place, which fortunately wasn't far away, and I got changed before going to hospital. I was conscious that I couldn't formulate meaningful sentences, even in my head, but hadn't lost it so much that I forgot to put my watch back on.
dreyep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:47 AM   #82
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Everyone's brain works differently thus the complications of the watch is very personal.

Whether I like the watch is a combination of craftsmanship, meaning, design, etc. I do prefer time only watches (for the most part).

I do have to say that with all the things going on in our lives, the technology we have accessible personally and around us, it's hard to imagine that not knowing the date (not having a date function) should deter someone from not buying a particular watch. Subconsciously as well, people know the date. You see if ever time you click that lock button on the phone and we use our phone numerous times within the hour if not the minute. Psychologically we just need to train ourselves to recall it. We all just got to use to being able to refer to something to tell us to eat, sleep, and live.

For those considering buying these type of watches (still luxury), its a fashion/accessory piece as much as tool. We'll be fine not knowing the date for that split second.

... unless it didn't tell the time, then I suggest you get a nice bracelet.

EDIT: pending traumatic incidents of course... from above.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:53 AM   #83
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

16600 SeaDweller is the best. Date with no cyclops. Big shame this is not an option on any current model.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:34 AM   #84
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

I use my sub as a weekend watch. Need the date during the week as I have to sign and date pretty frequently. But on the weekend I can tolerate a no date watch.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:00 AM   #85
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyep View Post
Thanks too! You might be thinking I take my watch on rides. I don't, as it happens. I got picked up by a car as I was lying there pretty helpless on the road with my hand up in the air, like at school, shouting help. The kind guy took me back to my place, which fortunately wasn't far away, and I got changed before going to hospital. I was conscious that I couldn't formulate meaningful sentences, even in my head, but hadn't lost it so much that I forgot to put my watch back on.
Nice that you remembered to put your watch on. Gotta know what's important after all

Old 20 February 2019, 05:09 AM   #86
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

when i forget what day it is, i just glance at my last post on here....usually displays the correct date
PatronMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:05 AM   #87
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Hello everyone! I have a question for the people who struggle with not having a date: did you ever get over it?

I absolutely am in love with the Explorer 114270. It gives me that feeling when you look at the absolute perfect watch for you. You know the feeling. My concern is that I'll buy it and not having a date will drive me crazy.

Last year I bought a Tudor BB Red ETA without realizing how much a no date watch would bother me. I ended up selling it a week later partially because of it not having a date, but mostly because it was incredibly uncomfortable on my wrist.

So again, my question is: For those who really like a date window and purchased a watch without one, did you get over not having one? Did it stop bothering you? I really think I would eventually get over it but I'm curious what you guys did.

No, never. I tend to wear my watches with dates in the weekdays when I need the date for work and the watches without dates on weekends and holidays. This has worked out well.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #88
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

If you a desk diver (*) spending his time on a computer at work, and lurking his own computer before going to work - the missing date on your Sub shouldn't be an issue.

(*) like most of us are ;)
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:38 AM   #89
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I couldn't get used to not having a date, so I moved an OP39 for a DJ41
Old 20 February 2019, 07:20 AM   #90
Wedders
"TRF" Member

What’s wrong with you people that can’t remember what day or date it is that you need it on your watch. You shouldn’t be out alone.
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote