The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 May 2018, 03:20 PM   #31
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m very tempted ...I’d love to hear feedback from owners who have the bracelet option. I’ve heard the quality is top shelf, but my AD doesn’t have one to show me ...
Don't be surprise Brian if you see me showing off a FF 5015 in the next 6 months.
The X-71 bracelet is absolutely top notched, superb comfort-wise and in engineering design & refinement. Arguably after trying 'em on just once at the boutique, I just have this feeling the X-71 bracelet is even better than an AP RO, Omega PO + SMP, Rolex Oyster + Jubilee. A Chinese friend who has a PP Nautilus was surprised at FF's bracelet built quality but claims comfort-wise, both are equalNext photos, the older discontinued FF 50th Anniversary model 40.5 mm belonging to a dealer friend showing me the double butterfly clasp X-71 version bracelet I might just pull the trigger on the 0ne below Brian, I prefer the FF 5015 on the X-71 rather than the sailcloth strap
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 03:54 PM   #32
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
The OEM strap is a 23mm which is difficult to find aftermarket.The spring bars are mini-hex which can be easily stripped, so you have to be careful with them. I actually bought a strap changing toolkit from Blancpain USA directly
I won't have the courage to interchange between the bracelet and strap because I was told it's really difficult for an inexperience person like myself. I'll let the AD folks do all the work for me. The mini screws are easily damaged if one is not careful even when using the correct mini-hex keys 0.9 mm isn't that so ? Those 4 screws and 2 spring bars are only available at the boutique and they aren't exactly " It only costs peanuts ", something like 200 bucks right ?
Old 7 May 2018, 05:04 PM   #33
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
If they still made the FF in 40mm, that possibly could have displaced the SubC as my grail.

Maybe.
It's a tough addiction
Old 7 May 2018, 08:51 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Don't be surprise Brian if you see me showing off a FF 5015 in the next 6 months.
The X-71 bracelet is absolutely top notched, superb comfort-wise and in engineering design & refinement. Arguably after trying 'em on just once at the boutique, I just have this feeling the X-71 bracelet is even better than an AP RO, Omega PO + SMP, Rolex Oyster + Jubilee. A Chinese friend who has a PP Nautilus was surprised at FF's bracelet built quality but claims comfort-wise, both are equalNext photos, the older discontinued FF 50th Anniversary model 40.5 mm belonging to a dealer friend showing me the double butterfly clasp X-71 version bracelet I might just pull the trigger on the 0ne below Brian, I prefer the FF 5015 on the X-71 rather than the sailcloth strap
Thank you for this Megan, great detail (as always)

I’d really like to see one with a bracelet so I’m going to try and hunt one down in my area over the next few weeks.

I do like the sailcloth, but after wearing my Panerai, it always feels good to go back to wearing a Rolex ... the metal bracelet is just so comfortable and “cooler” wearing (if that makes sense).

My Rolex AD has a very limited selection of BP, so I may have to look elesewhere

Fantastic pics, and I hope to see an incoming of you soon
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:25 PM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I won't have the courage to interchange between the bracelet and strap because I was told it's really difficult for an inexperience person like myself. I'll let the AD folks do all the work for me. The mini screws are easily damaged if one is not careful even when using the correct mini-hex keys 0.9 mm isn't that so ? Those 4 screws and 2 spring bars are only available at the boutique and they aren't exactly " It only costs peanuts ", something like 200 bucks right ?
Yes, I believe it is a bit tricky with the Hex screws as has been elaborated, and I'd def do that swap at an ADs just as I do at AP SC for my strap changes as that too is fiddly with two screwdrivers at once. However the strap I want is thicker and so would be non OEM which I don't think BP would do, just as AP won't.

Brian, as you have sold your DB I think this should be top contender to replace it, and the bracelet is very smooth and comfy and looks great.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, I believe it is a bit tricky with the Hex screws as Asiparks elaborated, and I'd def do that swap at an ADs just as I do at AP SC for my strap changes as that too is fiddly with two screwdrivers at once. However the strap I want is thicker and so would be non OEM which I don't think BP would do, just as AP won't.

Brian, as you have sold your DB I think this should be top contender to replace it, and the bracelet is very smooth and comfy and looks great.
That’s the direction I’m leaning toward my friend
Old 7 May 2018, 09:30 PM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
The OEM strap is a 23mm which is difficult to find aftermarket, but I had read on one of the forms that some folks had used 24 mm straps successfully and so gave it a shot.

Fitment was no problem. I had to wedge it in there a bit, but it was not forcing type of deal; in fact it it went in very easily. I think it is helped by the fact that this particular strap has a rubber bottom, and so is somewhat flexible.

The spring bars are mini-hex which can be easily stripped, so you have to be careful with them. I actually bought a strap changing toolkit from Blancpain USA directly (the one without the dive strap), which works very well.
Many thanks, def worth it.
Old 7 May 2018, 09:57 PM   #38
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
However the strap I want is thicker
That's fine as long as you don't have any intention on putting the watch head on a leather Nato 1.5- 2mm in thickness because it won't pass through the narrow gap < 1mm between the spring bars and the main casing. Can you see the swirls and scratches on the caseback in the photo?Anyways, I just prefer the FF on the X-71 bracelet
Old 7 May 2018, 11:47 PM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d love a no date FF
Old 8 May 2018, 03:56 AM   #40
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What happened to make the caseback look like that? That's bad...
Denizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:14 AM   #41
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
What happened to make the caseback look like that? That's bad...
What I do know is that the owner admitted he was a novice at removing the mini screws but whether he was using the correct toolkit or not, I don't know (I think he also busted a couple of spring bars in the process! ) and had problems interchanging between the bracelet and aftermarket straps.He also mentioned he had been experimenting with many different but ill-fitting NATO and leather strap options
Old 8 May 2018, 04:25 AM   #42
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I do know is that the owner admitted he was a novice at removing the mini screws (I think he also busted a couple of spring bars in the process! ) and had problems interchanging between the bracelet and aftermarket straps.He also mentioned he had been experimenting with many different but ill-fitting NATO and leather strap options
I see...hmmm.

The X-71 bracelet is a thing of beauty...I have 2 BPs with that bracelet and it equals, if not surpasses the PP and AP bracelets. It will add some weight to the watch, but is worth it.
Old 8 May 2018, 04:27 AM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I see...hmmm.

The X-71 bracelet is a thing of beauty...I have 2 BPs with that bracelet and it equals, if not surpasses the PP and AP bracelets. It will add some weight to the watch, but is worth it.
How does it compare to the glidelock / oyster bracelet combo from Rolex ?

I'd love you handle one of these in the metal but have yet to locate one local to me.

The bracelet looks fantastic in Megs pictures

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2018, 04:40 AM   #44
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How does it compare to the glidelock / oyster bracelet combo from Rolex ?

I'd love you handle one of these in the metal but have yet to locate one local to me.

The bracelet looks fantastic in Megs pictures

It lacks any micro-adjust, so you can only size it by a full or half length link at best. If you are ok with that, there's no other issues.

It is very comfortable...my absolute favorite as bracelets go.
Old 8 May 2018, 04:44 AM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It lacks any micro-adjust, so you can only size it by a full or half length link at best. If you are ok with that, there's no other issues.

It is very comfortable...my absolute favorite as bracelets go.
I figured by the clasp that there might not be any adjustment but thank you for clarifying that.

Does it come with a half link or did you have to order?

Sane durable, well built "feel" as an oyster bracelet?

I guess I really need to handle one to know .

Old 8 May 2018, 05:23 AM   #46
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
It lacks any micro-adjust, so you can only size it by a full or half length link at best.
That's one of two reasons (the other being size) why for me, the Sub still beats the FF. It's hard to go back to a fixed size after having on-the-fly micro-adjusting.

A third might be the movement accuracy. I have no personal knowledge of it, but at least one member in this thread noted the difficulty of getting his FF to be accurate. That gives me pause, considering my Sub has been a model of accuracy from the day I bought it.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 05:34 AM   #47
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700
Quote:
A third might be the movement accuracy. I have no personal knowledge of it, but at least one member in this thread noted the difficulty of getting his FF to be accurate. That gives me pause, considering my Sub has been a model of accuracy from the day I bought it.

That must be me.
I have to admit that I had it serviced at an independent watchmaker but either before or after the service it run at about 5-8s/d, depending on the rotation and the position I leave it when no wearing.
My explorerII was set to just 1s/d.
Old 8 May 2018, 05:40 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_ View Post
That must be me.
I have to admit that I had it serviced at an independent watchmaker but either before or after the service it run at about 5-8s/d, depending on the rotation and the position I leave it when no wearing.
My explorerII was set to just 1s/d.
Are they COSC certified movements?

Old 8 May 2018, 05:46 AM   #49
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No, they are not.
Old 8 May 2018, 05:53 AM   #50
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
No, they are not.
Well, so far, my Sub hasn't been dethroned.
Old 8 May 2018, 06:11 AM   #51
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, so far, my Sub hasn't been dethroned.

Who cares about accuracy? lol

FF is a category itself!
Old 8 May 2018, 06:13 AM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not too concerned but if it doesn't keep decent time what's the point
Quote:

FF is a category itself!
Old 8 May 2018, 06:17 AM   #53
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:

FF is a category itself!
IMO, that's brand fetishizing. To me, a brand gets its reputation for its performance, among other things. First and foremost, a watch is designed to keep time. If you start forgiving bad timekeeping due to the brand's allure, something's amiss.
Old 8 May 2018, 06:42 AM   #54
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Good point, but the fact that my ff is difficult to perform in cosc doesn’t mean that the 1315 calibre is not accurate. I’m sure that other owners have better experience.
Apart from accuracy, it is a calibre with hand finishing, 3 barrels and 120 hours pr. If accuracy is everything, perhaps rolex is easier to adjust. But then there are other options, more accurate, like springdrive gs. And then high end quartz of course. It is a combination of factors.
Old 8 May 2018, 07:01 AM   #55
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Good point, but the fact that my ff is difficult to perform in cosc doesn’t mean that the 1315 calibre is not accurate. I’m sure that other owners have better experience.
Fair point. I was responding to your comment at face value, but recognize it's just one data point, and not something upon which to draw a firm conclusion.

Quote:
If accuracy is everything, perhaps rolex is easier to adjust. But then there are other options, more accurate, like springdrive gs. And then high end quartz of course. It is a combination of factors.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's everything. If it were, I'd wear a radio-controlled watch and be done with it. Since I opt to wear a mechanical watch, obviously I'm willing to accept a certain amount of inaccuracy. Having said that, my Sub Date is typically accurate to between +0.5 to +1spd. Given that, I don't feel like I'm compromising much in the way of accuracy by wearing a mechanical. I would feel a greater sense of compromise with a movement I couldn't keep regulated at least to within COSC specs. Technically my Sub is still more correct after a week than your FF is in a day. On an apples-to-apples basis, that's a pretty big difference.

I'm not slamming the FF. I was just relaying my own feelings about it relative to the Sub, since there was a time I really considered the FF as a diver ne plus ultra, and the one watch I possibly coveted more than the Sub. For that reason, the comparison may carry more weight for me than for others. I still think the FF is a magnificent watch in its own right, but in practical terms, what I've read here indicates the Sub was the right choice for me. I can absolutely appreciate why others would covet the FF.
Old 8 May 2018, 07:07 AM   #56
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Take a pop quiz . All Blancpain watches are not COSC certified. TRUE OR FALSE ?
FALSE. The answer in a moment

While checking out the Blancpain models in the only official boutique in the country, i was informed by the boutique GM that Blancpain is not COSC certified but..but.. THE only COSC Chronometer grade is any Blancpain fitted with the calibre 64-1( If I remember hearing it correctly)

Can you see the watch below, Brian ? That discontinued 40.5mm FF 50th Anniversary on the wrist of my WIS friend has an accuracy rate of +2.0 sec/day. The people I know who own the watch says Cal 1315 is highly accurate and nobody's complaining...

Hey ! Don't take my word for it. Why don't you read what Jack Forster has to say...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...oms-bathyscaph
Old 8 May 2018, 08:16 AM   #57
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does it come with a half link or did you have to order?
They come with the bracelet...at least, they did on my models which predate the Fifty Fathoms 45mm version.

And you can probably order 1/2 linka from BP should you need it.
Old 8 May 2018, 08:32 AM   #58
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was never able to source a 50th Anniversary with the full kit, accessories, and goodies. There were two occassions when the opportunity presented itself, but both times...key things were missing. Beautiful piece though!

How large is your wrist if I may ask?

Even though the FF 45mm wears small, if your wrist is under 6.75"...it may not be the best choice for you.
Old 8 May 2018, 09:00 AM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Fair point. I was responding to your comment at face value, but recognize it's just one data point, and not something upon which to draw a firm conclusion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's everything. If it were, I'd wear a radio-controlled watch and be done with it. Since I opt to wear a mechanical watch, obviously I'm willing to accept a certain amount of inaccuracy. Having said that, my Sub Date is typically accurate to between +0.5 to +1spd. Given that, I don't feel like I'm compromising much in the way of accuracy by wearing a mechanical. I would feel a greater sense of compromise with a movement I couldn't keep regulated at least to within COSC specs. Technically my Sub is still more correct after a week than your FF is in a day. On an apples-to-apples basis, that's a pretty big difference.

I'm not slamming the FF. I was just relaying my own feelings about it relative to the Sub, since there was a time I really considered the FF as a diver ne plus ultra, and the one watch I possibly coveted more than the Sub. For that reason, the comparison may carry more weight for me than for others. I still think the FF is a magnificent watch in its own right, but in practical terms, what I've read here indicates the Sub was the right choice for me. I can absolutely appreciate why others would covet the FF.
The sub is cool, but really is pretty boring after a while, I've been thru a few of them and they just can't hold my interest and being accurate and durable is not helping their cause. As for reliability there are no major issues reported so I won't have that as a black mark against the BP. The BP FF is crafted on a different level to the workman sub and when you are paying this much money over a cheap and more accurate quartz, that is far more important.
Old 8 May 2018, 09:09 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
IMO, that's brand fetishizing. To me, a brand gets its reputation for its performance, among other things. First and foremost, a watch is designed to keep time. If you start forgiving bad timekeeping due to the brand's allure, something's amiss.
As for brand fetishizing well Rolex and its resale is now the King and Queen of this idea, and so are most who buy a safe Rolex over a better made and more interesting but price riskier brand.