The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 June 2018, 08:16 AM   #31
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Yep, it's funny how I was looking not only at higher priced watches, but cheaper watches that very day.

Now I just wish there is an easy way to change out the straps myself without risk of damaging the case.

BTW, did it take long before small scuffs/blemishes started showing up on your case? I think I already noticed a few hairline ones on the bezel. No matter how many times I go through this with other watches, the first one always hurts the most.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 08:31 AM   #32
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Congrats and looks nice!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 09:04 AM   #33
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Yep, it's funny how I was looking not only at higher priced watches, but cheaper watches that very day.

Now I just wish there is an easy way to change out the straps myself without risk of damaging the case.

BTW, did it take long before small scuffs/blemishes started showing up on your case? I think I already noticed a few hairline ones on the bezel. No matter how many times I go through this with other watches, the first one always hurts the most.
To be fair, I am known for knocking my watches around. I'm not exactly doing physical activities all day, but I put my watches through torture sometimes since I accidentally knock them against my desk, keyboard, laptop base, car door, car seat belt retracting, door ways, etc. It didn't take long for the first scratch. The first big scratch I got was from working on my laptop and I accidentally scraped the case at 6 o'clock against the aluminum body of my MacBook. This was about Day 1's evening of ownership. Day 3, I accidentally knocked my watch against my desk as I rotated my chair. There's now a scuff mark on the case at 12 o'clock. Since then I've received a few hair line scratches that are hard to see unless you look closely. Actually all the damage above have caused damage that you have to look really close to see.

It's survived well so far. The most surprisingly shock it's had is having a seat belt retract quickly as I took it off and the seat belt smacking the face of the Saxonia. After a lot of inspection, there is no dents on the case or cracks on the crystal. It's survived more than I thought it would.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 10:52 AM   #34
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Good to know it can take some a little abuse. This is my first precious metal watch, so I'm not sure what to expect. When I got my Sea-Dweller, I wasn't that rough with it the first week, and it already developed scratches within days, from unknown causes. I've always imagined gold will be worse.
Old 8 June 2018, 11:04 AM   #35
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's actually the 116600 SD4K...but yeah, same idea. That's what I use as my daily wearer, aside from activities such as going to the gym, riding my bicycle, or for work (I'm an ER nurse). And yeah, that Hodinkee video was worth watching.
Oy. Committed a grave Rolex sin on 'Rolexforums!' Sorry, for some reason I thought the date looked like a hour bar in the pic! And yes, that Hodinkee 3 on 3 was something else. I wish they would do way more of those!
jh8cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:16 AM   #36
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good to know it can take some a little abuse. This is my first precious metal watch, so I'm not sure what to expect. When I got my Sea-Dweller, I wasn't that rough with it the first week, and it already developed scratches within days, from unknown causes. I've always imagined gold will be worse.
I was shocked it survived a seat belt buckle striking it. So... that's good and bad. Good because it can take a beating. Bad because I know it can take a beating so I'll be less careful than I should be.

That's how it all started with the Omega Seamaster 300, too... after I learned how tough it is, it went through the depths of Hades and back (e.g. washer and dryer in jean pocket, dropped on granite floor from 5 feet off the ground, etc.). This is my first precious metal watch as well so it's acting as a gateway into future watches. I love it so far and I expect to love it decades into the future, too. Such a simple, elegant, and timeless watch.
Old 8 June 2018, 08:59 PM   #37
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Fantastic choice. It fits so well into your collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 05:12 PM   #38
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Excellent choice! That's a beautiful watch. Congratulations. It also fits in nicely with your collection, yet leaves the door open for some new others you may have your eye on. I'm also one of those types who always is thinking about my next watch, even though I'm immensely satisfied with those I own.

Regarding dress watches, I don't have large wrists either and I have simple sub seconds manual dress watches from Lange (1815), Patek (5119J), and VC (Traditionnelle Small Seconds) and I like them all for different reasons. Having them on different colored straps to match my shoes and belts is my justification for having multiples of similar watches.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:08 PM   #39
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Excellent choice! That's a beautiful watch. Congratulations. It also fits in nicely with your collection, yet leaves the door open for some new others you may have your eye on. I'm also one of those types who always is thinking about my next watch, even though I'm immensely satisfied with those I own.

Regarding dress watches, I don't have large wrists either and I have simple sub seconds manual dress watches from Lange (1815), Patek (5119J), and VC (Traditionnelle Small Seconds) and I like them all for different reasons. Having them on different colored straps to match my shoes and belts is my justification for having multiples of similar watches.
That's scary. Those are almost the exact models that I am/was considering (e.g. A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin or 1815, Patek Philippe 5119R or 5120J, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle 38mm.

Do you mind sharing some pictures of these watches on your wrist? I was never able to try on a Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle in person since the boutique didn't have it in stock.
Old 9 June 2018, 07:31 PM   #40
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Wow, what a collection. I agree...I just got a watch that hits all the requirements I want, and yet I still would like to add more.

Some of the models that I still have a strong interest in are the Rolex Daytona Ceramic & GMT Pepsi, PP Nautilus/Aquanaut, AP Royal Oak 15202, VC Historiques, the JLC Reverso, and the IWC Big Pilot. I'm not sure about the last 2, because I'm not fully convinced that the Reverso fits well on my sharp wristbone, and Big Pilot is...BIG. But I love the designs.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:37 AM   #41
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Wise choice - it looks great.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 10:44 AM   #42
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Congrats! Looks great, enjoy it! I like second hands, got this one last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:11 PM   #43
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post

That's an awesome picture of the 5119. I've been considering the 5119 and 5120 myself. They both look great.
Old 12 June 2018, 11:54 PM   #44
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I think that the 5120 is no longer made, although I am sure that they are still out there. I like the second hand on the 5119. When I look at my watch, I know that this thing is “on.”

This is of more concern with a manually wound watch without a power reserve indicator.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 06:37 AM   #45
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post

Gorgeous! DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 09:59 AM   #46
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Beautiful watch. Congratulations!
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 06:11 AM   #47
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Just seeing this thread. Nice writeup and nice choice! I think I agreed with everything you said up until considering the Big Pilot for your 6.35" wrists.

May I ask why you were specifically targeting a manual wind watch? Is it so you can see more of the movement from the caseback? Or something else?
Old 14 June 2018, 07:20 AM   #48
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I know the Big Pilot is a bit outlandish perhaps. I love the overall look and design of it. Just wish they made one slightly smaller.

I wanted a manual wind for several reasons. I never owned a manual wind piece, so I definitely wanted one for the collection. I enjoy the interaction with the watch, and winding it gives me more reason to spend time with it every few days. As you said, I also like the less cluttered view of the movement sans rotor. It’s not a daily wear piece, so having an automatic movement that keeps it going won’t make much of a difference in keeping the watch running. As such, there’s also. I reason for me to pay the extra cost of having it with an automatic movement.
Old 14 June 2018, 08:06 AM   #49
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
To me, you bought the best made brand of watches in the world
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 08:21 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
So simple but so beautiful, I would choose this and Lange over a Calatrava for a simple dress watch and suspect many here would too such is the growing allure of Lange.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:06 PM   #51
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Very classy watch, congrats!
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote