The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2018, 06:31 AM   #1
CorgiKCD
"TRF" Member

Why Doesn’t this Omega Get Love like the Tudor Blackbay 58?

Like everyone, I was excited to hear about the Tudor Blackbay 58. A cool watch, no doubt. One of the key excitement points is the 39mm size.

I am saving right now, either for a used Sub or the BB 58, but still kicking tires and daydreaming a bit. The one thing I can’t figure out on the 58 is the guild. Phony aging bugs me, but the media seems to not find fault with Tudor’s work here. I will be interested to see it in person which may be a long time with all the interest.

I came across the Omega Plantet Ocean 600m Co-axial in 39.5 size. 215.30.40.20.03.001. Retail is $6,550 but it seems with low to mid $4k to spend, one could find a quality used with B and P, or grey market.

I like the smaller size, and also the coloring. The blue dial and bracelet combo is very nice and reminds me of the white gold/blue sub. I also like the clear case back which probably marks me as a sucker but so be it. 55 hour power reserve.
I also like the date. I look at my date function all the time on my current watches. I also like the splash of color on the second hand and dial font.

Neutrals are the escapement. I dive but like 99.9% of divers, I am not compression diving. I guess it is something to talk about.

The negatives: thickness. It is at 14.5mm or so which is about what the Tudor divers are with the in-house movement. Perhaps from the clear case back? Also, the dial has too many lines. 8 maybe more if you count logos? So a busy front.

Unknown for me is the bracelet. It looks top notch with a micro glide adjuster but I’ve not tried one ony yet.

Anyway, is there any particular love or dislike of this watch? Any take on how this compares to the sub or BB 58? Your comments are always wonderful to read.
CorgiKCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 07:23 AM   #2
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Omega has always made quality stuff.

Their metal bracelets (were) more durable than the Rolex ones, say in the 90's, before Rolex started machining their clasp parts and they were still stamped.

Now I think the playing field between Rolex and Omega are fairly level.

One technology I'd like to highlight with (newer) Omega offerings is the solid Silicon hairspring. As a engineer watch geek who knows a bit too much material science for his own good, I can tell you THAT was an absolutely BRILLIANT piece of engineering. Yeah, Co-axial is cool and has it's advantages*, but that hairspring is so "industry changing" and it really isn't talked about very much.

*reducing beat rate and tightening tolerances and finishing of mechanical parts will (in my opinion) return 90+% of the co-axial advantage.

I love both, but prefer vintage Rolex to the new ones. Thick watches simply for the sake of being thick are silly to me. The Omega movements were based on the Eta 2892-A2, which is thinner than a 2824, yet the finished watch has the thickness of a 2892 with a Chronograph module on top. I don't understand where that's all going...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 07:49 PM   #3
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I want a BB58. It’s a great brand and about $3200 new. The PO is about $4500 grey market. So it’s $1300ish more and not from an AD. I’m not sure I personally see the reason to spend the extra. That’s my issue with the PO. I like it but not $1300 more then the BB58
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I love the 39.5mm po. I don’t think it’s excessively thick- remember it is 600m wr.

I have girly wrists but after trying one on, it’s fine. The salesman said some people do complain that they have difficulty slipping it under a dress shirt cuff.

That’s likely going to be my next watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 09:49 AM   #5
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiKCD View Post
Like everyone, I was excited to hear about the Tudor Blackbay 58. A cool watch, no doubt. One of the key excitement points is the 39mm size.

I am saving right now, either for a used Sub or the BB 58, but still kicking tires and daydreaming a bit. The one thing I can’t figure out on the 58 is the guild. Phony aging bugs me, but the media seems to not find fault with Tudor’s work here. I will be interested to see it in person which may be a long time with all the interest.

I came across the Omega Plantet Ocean 600m Co-axial in 39.5 size. 215.30.40.20.03.001. Retail is $6,550 but it seems with low to mid $4k to spend, one could find a quality used with B and P, or grey market.

I like the smaller size, and also the coloring. The blue dial and bracelet combo is very nice and reminds me of the white gold/blue sub. I also like the clear case back which probably marks me as a sucker but so be it. 55 hour power reserve.
I also like the date. I look at my date function all the time on my current watches. I also like the splash of color on the second hand and dial font.

Neutrals are the escapement. I dive but like 99.9% of divers, I am not compression diving. I guess it is something to talk about.

The negatives: thickness. It is at 14.5mm or so which is about what the Tudor divers are with the in-house movement. Perhaps from the clear case back? Also, the dial has too many lines. 8 maybe more if you count logos? So a busy front.

Unknown for me is the bracelet. It looks top notch with a micro glide adjuster but I’ve not tried one ony yet.

Anyway, is there any particular love or dislike of this watch? Any take on how this compares to the sub or BB 58? Your comments are always wonderful to read.
The PO is very bit the subs equal. Have both-the PO gets worn more.

Tudor?

No way. No how. No thanks. Fugly and a brand that should have been allowed to die out. Goofy hands. Goofy appearance. Zero cool factor.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 02:10 PM   #6
hedet
"TRF" Member

Why Doesn’t this Omega Get Love like the Tudor Blackbay 58?

I love the older POs. The newer model is a bit too shiny for my tastes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hedet is offline   Reply With Quote