The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2018, 07:59 AM   #91
omitohud
"TRF" Member

SS sub 369

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 08:15 AM   #92
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I'd like to see it with a slightly darker hue. If this happened, I'd fear the earth would shift off its axis as Sub fans everywhere fell off their chairs.

Stunning. The shade of blue on the dial and face are mesmerizing for me. Shoukd I call and get on a lost....hahah
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 10:38 AM   #93
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Baselworld 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post

Why Rolex shall phase out the BLNR? There is not even 1 good reason.

They will just updated the BLNR with the new movement, just what happened to the Deepsea Blue

The only reason I see Rolex discontinuing a model is that by having fewer models, it can focus on producing more of each. So instead of making 25,000 BLRO and 25,000 BLNR, it can make 50,000 BLRO -- and now ADs have more watches in their cases or shorter waiting lists.
Old 19 November 2018, 10:47 AM   #94
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Baselworld 2019

My prediction... After being offered on the Yachtmaster and the Daytona, the Oysterflex will be on another model, probably in a precious metal. A diver would make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 November 2018, 12:19 PM   #95
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Explore ll type 24 hr. hand on all GMTs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 08:45 AM   #96
one10medic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
My prediction... After being offered on the Yachtmaster and the Daytona, the Oysterflex will be on another model, probably in a precious metal. A diver would make sense.

Interesting concept, I like it... I think black on black would maybe look better, but that's not a bad thought at all.
one10medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 08:52 AM   #97
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
Nothing new this year
Yup, winner here. After all the wrath because of not enough new 2018 releases hitting the street, why would Rolex want to create even more hard feelings by diluting production of the highly sought items with more variety like a SS coke ?

No I donīt think the BLNR will be discontinued, it will be updated with the new dial and new movement.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 08:58 AM   #98
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
I am sure if rolex really release a YG hulk, 99% of them will go straight to the grey dealer. same as the current hulk.
No PM watch will have as high demand as one of the best SS
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 09:01 AM   #99
descartes
"TRF" Member

I would really like to see a non-daytona chronograph, along the lines of the 6238, but a modern version. I could go for that.

Basel World is a blast to visit, and it doesn't suck spending time in Switzerland in March. It's a pretty big downer that so many brands have pulled out. For anyone who's at all interested, it's probably best to try to get there soon because the show could easily disappear completely.
Old 20 November 2018, 10:12 AM   #100
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

SS Day Date.

CHNR with option of Jubilee.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 01:06 PM   #101
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Baselworld 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by one10medic View Post
Interesting concept, I like it... I think black on black would maybe look better, but that's not a bad thought at all.

The whole idea of using Oysterflex on precious metal is to create a different price point because of the absence of a bracelet — a more affordable precious-metal timepiece of sorts. Steel Subs are uber-popular as they are, and Rolex doesn’t need to lower that price by making a SS Sub on Oysterflex.

Oysterflex-equipped Rolexes have been pretty successful so far. But I also wonder if a black dial would be too reminiscent of the Yachtmaster...

Old 21 November 2018, 12:58 PM   #102
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

I bet on different sizes. Maybe a 42mm daytona and and 38mm SS sub (details in red would be a great vintage touch).

A new movement for sub and exp (based on the caliber 3285)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GaloCinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:56 PM   #103
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'm hoping for Ceramic Bezel Gold Daytonas on Gold Bracelet.

And maybe another sport watch in Platinum.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:29 AM   #104
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Well guys Basel is coming up quick
I have read these responses and quickly lost heart.
I am still on a waiting list for a pepsi and could be another 1-2 years until I see it.
Btw the people who say rolex production is the same or higher are completely wrong.
I remember back in 2015 when my one ad would get 3 -5 blnrs every 3- 4 months and always have them in stock
Its simple math, now they are getting 2-3 per year.
In order to increase demand they HAVE TO decrease production, its simple economics.
Now I am talking about Canada here too and Rolex doesnt give a hoot about us as we are a very small market so it may be a bit different here.

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:36 AM   #105
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
Well guys Basel is coming up quick
I have read these responses and quickly lost heart.
I am still on a waiting list for a pepsi and could be another 1-2 years until I see it.
Btw the people who say rolex production is the same or higher are completely wrong.
I remember back in 2015 when my one ad would get 3 -5 blnrs every 3- 4 months and always have them in stock
In order to increase demand they HAVE TO decrease production, its simple economics.
Now I am talking about Canada here too and Rolex doesnt give a hoot about us as we are a very small market so it may be a bit different here.
They're actually producing more (or at least selling more) than they used to be. There's just a lot more customers than there were a few years ago. My AD salesman said he took 70 calls in one week for a Hulk and only 3 were customers that had purchase history.
Old 28 February 2019, 01:07 AM   #106
Nepats81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd like to see it with a slightly darker hue. If this happened, I'd fear the earth would shift off its axis as Sub fans everywhere fell off their chairs.

this would be bananas.
Nepats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:18 AM   #107
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I’d own this. Lol.

Old 28 February 2019, 01:42 AM   #108
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Steel smurf = beauty.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:59 AM   #109
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Anyone seen tudors Instagram for Baselworld - a safe and the tag line reads

‘some think it’s a myth but soon we’ll show you it’s not’

I hope it’s something really good
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:59 AM   #110
T01
"TRF" Member

I'd guess maybe an update of the movements in the sub. Maybe updates to GMTs other than Pepsi and perhaps a new bezel option. Who knows though.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 07:06 AM   #111
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but your evidence doesn't support your position. All it shows is that your AD isn't getting the same number of sports models as in previous years. More broadly, putting aside the fact it is a single, anecdotal data point, it could show a change in distribution patterns, but it tells us nothing about Rolex's production. Rolex could be making the same number of watches as before, or even more, but could be distributing them differently to meet increased demand in other markets. Maybe they are; maybe they aren't. But your evidence doesn't put you in a position of saying definitively one way or the other.

Regarding demand, again I think your statement is one possibility out of several. Another likely possibility is that demand has organically increased (evidenced by the fact Rolex had a record sales year by the end of Q3 2017, right before this whole "shortage" thing started*), and Rolex hasn't ratcheted up production to meet it. In that scenario, even if Rolex didn't decrease production, simply declining to meet demand would cause a relative shortage that could increase demand even further. Rolex doesn't absolutely "have to" decrease production to increase demand.

* Check out an interview between Ariel Adams and George Mayer; it sheds some light on this situation, although it doesn't answer all the questions.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 07:16 AM   #112
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but your evidence doesn't support your position. All it shows is that your AD isn't getting the same number of sports models as in previous years. More broadly, putting aside the fact it is a single, anecdotal data point, it could show a change in distribution patterns, but it tells us nothing about Rolex's production. Rolex could be making the same number of watches as before, or even more, but could be distributing them differently to meet increased demand in other markets. Maybe they are; maybe they aren't. But your evidence doesn't put you in a position of saying definitively one way or the other.

Regarding demand, again I think your statement is one possibility out of several. Another likely possibility is that demand has organically increased (evidenced by the fact Rolex had a record sales year by the end of Q3 2017, right before this whole "shortage" thing started*), and Rolex hasn't ratcheted up production to meet it. In that scenario, even if Rolex didn't decrease production, simply declining to meet demand would cause a relative shortage that could increase demand even further. Rolex doesn't absolutely "have to" decrease production to increase demand.

* Check out an interview between Ariel Adams and George Mayer; it sheds some light on this situation, although it doesn't answer all the questions.
I have a good hunch they're going to Asia. Changes to Chinese gifting limits have limited the number of models able to be used in traditional business gifting. Where before TT and PM were sometimes possible (and even preferred such as TT diamond dial DJs), now that demand is for SS. The Hulk and the color green specifically are highly demanded in China. Maybe Rolex isn't changing production, but I have a feeling distribution is being messed with. Little things such as Rolex throwing a solid towards GB with more recent releases getting there first imo are goodwill and Rolex acknowledging without coming out specifically saying so much. With a manufacture such as Rolex, everything is planned imo.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 07:22 AM   #113
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but your evidence doesn't support your position. All it shows is that your AD isn't getting the same number of sports models as in previous years.
Not really, it doesn't even show that. It just shows that his dealer has less watches that he's willing to tell this particular customer about, or has less watches available to sell. They could still be getting 3-4 BLNRs per month but if they're going to VVVVVIPs and resellers, none are available for the lay person.
Old 28 February 2019, 07:30 AM   #114
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
Not really, it doesn't even show that. It just shows that his dealer has less watches that he's willing to tell this particular customer about, or has less watches available to sell. They could still be getting 3-4 BLNRs per month but if they're going to VVVVVIPs and resellers, none are available for the lay person.
Fair point. In rereading his post, I see he didn't quote his AD as actually telling him about the numbers of models received. I was thinking he had, and taking at face value that the AD is being truthful. That said, there have been a number of anecdotal reports on the forum of ADs claiming their shipments are down, so Absolutely's AD isn't an isolated incident. If I recall, most of those are from US or North American ADs, so it is entirely possible Rolex is distributing more to China/Asia, as 904VT suspects. (Increases in Swiss watch exports to China and Hong Kong support that idea.) There are a lot of possibilities and guesswork. I was just challenging the absolutes Absolutely was offering, because there are certainly alternative possibilities.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 07:37 AM   #115
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
At this point, does it even matter what they release?
I ask myself that all the time. Most people couldnt get there hands on last year release
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 05:54 AM   #116
lordog12345
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Take my money now. Please.
lordog12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 06:22 AM   #117
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I think a new red sub will be release AND availability is tight just like the SS BLRO...So most of the mortal WIS won't have a chance. SS BLRO was released last year and most of the guys here have never even seen in real life.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 12:28 AM   #118
rhallmcp
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue & BLNR
I was at 2 different dealers this past week wearing my BLNR, and BOTH of them said "that watch is being retired". I responded with "that's the rumor on the forums too" and was basically told that its a done deal. Personally, I really don't care if its retired, I love the watch and don't really concern myself with it being worth more if its retired. But, i thought it was interesting that both of them reassured me that its a done deal. Not trying to add to the "hype", just wanted to give you the info that was given to me.
rhallmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 12:34 AM   #119
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair point. In rereading his post, I see he didn't quote his AD as actually telling him about the numbers of models received. I was thinking he had, and taking at face value that the AD is being truthful. That said, there have been a number of anecdotal reports on the forum of ADs claiming their shipments are down, so Absolutely's AD isn't an isolated incident. If I recall, most of those are from US or North American ADs, so it is entirely possible Rolex is distributing more to China/Asia, as 904VT suspects. (Increases in Swiss watch exports to China and Hong Kong support that idea.) There are a lot of possibilities and guesswork. I was just challenging the absolutes Absolutely was offering, because there are certainly alternative possibilities.
I think ADs tell their customers that shipments are down because it's easier than explaining to the customer that the determining factor in them getting a watch is how much money they've spent at the store. That could cause some bad reactions. So it's better to say, "Man, I really hate the supply situation right now -- we're not getting ANYTHING in stock!"

They do get watches in stock. Those watches are either already sold or are getting sold directly to VVVVVVIP's from the back room.

We'll never know either way but until we start seeing less salesman in the stores due to layoffs and/or stores closing due to slow sales, I feel like the safer assumptions is that they're selling just as much, if not more, product than they did before the stainless steel sports market craze kicked up.
Old 6 March 2019, 12:37 AM   #120
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepats81 View Post
this would be bananas.
Whatever it is will be hard to top if this is it!

RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote