The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 09:53 PM   #31
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Hi Max

I've bought from the grey market before - full set.

Would I buy with just a photocopy of the card? No.

Without the card, technically a RSC could refuse warranty work. Whether they would, is another matter altogether and you could just say you'd lost the card, as the date of warranty activation should be known to Rolex

Time will tell
No they will not refuse warranty if you turn up with the watch and its verified as not stolen. I have spoken to Rolex specifically about this. Nor does it matter whos name is on the card. If there is a genuine warranty issue then Roilex will honour it.
It is the secondary market, the owners, the buyers who are placing huge emphasis on the warranty card and its value. From a functional point of view it is meaningless.
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:56 PM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Yep, but your suggestion is going back 2 steps, not forward. Why did Rolex extend their warranty to 5 years when they could have kept it at 2 or cut it down to 1 (or 1 day? or no warranty at all?)?
Because Brexit happened afterwards which is the catalyst to why this whole watch game has hugely changed. There were no flippers back then, now they are the majority of interested buyers, so now Rolex want genuine buyers to have 5 years and flippers to have nothing.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:57 PM   #33
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Because Brexit happened afterwards which is the catalyst to why this whole watch game has hugely changed. There were no flippers back then, now they are the majority of interested buyers, so now Rolex want genuine buyers to have 5 years and flippers to have nothing.

Grey market dealers has existed for as long as I can remember. Just with the Internet it has become highly popularized to be able to flip hot pieces
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:01 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
No they will not refuse warranty if you turn up with the watch and its verified as not stolen. I have spoken to Rolex specifically about this. Nor does it matter whos name is on the card. If there is a genuine warranty issue then Roilex will honour it.
It is the secondary market, the owners, the buyers who are placing huge emphasis on the warranty card and its value. From a functional point of view it is meaningless.
This is the problem. If the name doesn't matter then a flipped to buyer can claim on the warranty and it has no deterrent effect. The same with the sticker policy, it's so weak. Rolex are just not smart business people and very slow to adapt, good at making watches but just observing victims in this changing market.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:03 PM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Grey market dealers has existed for as long as I can remember. Just with the Internet it has become highly popularized to be able to flip hot pieces
Sure but before Brexit greys sold the popular models for less than the ADs, that is why they could exist, there were almost no hot pieces, now they are all hot pieces.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:04 PM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'm the WIS Ben Franklin.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:16 PM   #37
peterpl
Banned

I'm all in for stopping flippers. Its going to be a tricky one but they need to come up with a solution soon. There are many people talking now and word spreads like wildfire. At the end of the day people arent stupid they are beginning to see the actual's of what is occurring.

It might be easier for Rolex to rid of the AD system altogether and just open boutiques everywhere owned by head office back in Geneva. Still might be some fraud and backdoor deals happening even with this model of sales people only reserving for their friends/grays - but I think it may curb the problem a lot since independent owners of ADs are not pocketing the money.

Its a hard one.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:19 PM   #38
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sure but before Brexit greys sold the popular models for less than the ADs, that is why they could exist, there were almost no hot pieces, now they are all hot pieces.

Brexit didn’t cause shortage of hot SS models. The displays in Asia and elsewhere in Europe were still fully stocked after Brexit.

Turning point was when Rolex suddenly cut supplies or SS models and that happened in/around 2017.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:22 PM   #39
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Turning point was when Rolex suddenly cut supplies or SS models and that happened in/around 2017.
Again no one cut any supplies they have been producing the same amount of watches every year. Please read up on what many are talking about now. Supply has been the same. There has been an influx of demand which in turn has caused back door deals and cartel like practices by some to maximise their profits.

Now people are catching on these things and certain situations are coming to light, hence Rolex trying to stop this behavior by implementing certain new policies.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:45 PM   #40
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

My Explorer's card was given to me whereas for the GMT (LN) they kept the card (Same AD). I was made aware of this before putting a deposit down each time (another sore point for some!) unsure as to why they didn't keep the explorer's - may be not as 'hot'?

I can see why people get upset over this, after all we are spending our hard earned money and should be allowed to sell/trade etc as we see fit however, I wanted the watches and bought them for me and as long as I get the card at some point I am not bothered (the card's probably safer at the AD anyway )

Vote with your feet I guess guys.

VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:56 PM   #41
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Again no one cut any supplies they have been producing the same amount of watches every year. Please read up on what many are talking about now. Supply has been the same. There has been an influx of demand which in turn has caused back door deals and cartel like practices by some to maximise their profits.

Now people are catching on these things and certain situations are coming to light, hence Rolex trying to stop this behavior by implementing certain new policies.
How has supply been the same? You don't have figures of this post Rolex banning COSC from releasing these figures in 2016.

Supply isn't the same. A shop used to get 1 Sub (116610LN) a month. It now gets 1 every 3 months. Another shop used to get 2 Subs a week, it now gets 1 Sub a week. How is that not a cut in supply?

The same watches that used to go to grey dealers where you'd enjoy a 5,10,15,20 and sometimes 25% off MSRP is still going to the grey dealers. You just don't see it going to them (nor did you before), except that the displays are now empty versus back in the days they were still attainable; an AD would sell to you for MSRP, whilst if you found a grey you could enjoy 15-20% off a Sub.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:05 PM   #42
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Supply isn't the same. A shop used to get 1 Sub (116610LN) a month. It now gets 1 every 3 months. Another shop used to get 2 Subs a week, it now gets 1 Sub a week. How is that not a cut in supply?

If you think so and if your AD keeps telling you that.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:05 PM   #43
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:

If you think so and if your AD keeps telling you that.

Because I know so.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:14 PM   #44
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
I appreciate that the current policy is to accept warranty work without the card, however policies can and do change.

Technically, the warranty wording requires the card to be fully completed by the AD at the time of purchase and presented with the watch. It would be quite simple fro Rolex to start implementing those terms.

A much simpler solution would be to make the warranty non transferable from the original purchaser (or the party the original purchaser designates to be named on the card in the event the watch is a gift)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:17 PM   #45
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How has supply been the same? You don't have figures of this post Rolex banning COSC from releasing these figures in 2016.

Its a cut in supply to those shops. That does not, however, mean a cut in supply to the AD network as a whole. Its a redistribution, not a cut in supply.

Old 21 November 2018, 11:19 PM   #46
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Its a cut in supply to those shops. That does not, however, mean a cut in supply to the AD network as a whole. Its a redistribution, not a cut in supply.
I wonder where Aladdin's treasure trove it is then. Sure isn't in Asia or Europe (or the few shops I've visited in North America).
Old 21 November 2018, 11:23 PM   #47
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
I wonder where Aladdin's treasure trove it is then. Sure isn't in Asia or Europe (or the few shops I've visited in North America).
HAHAHA - now I really know you have no idea what you are talking about. Obviously you have not seen any gray dealers inventory in HK/Malaysia/Taiwan/Macau and China lately of all the so called "hot" watches that apparently have unlimited quantities available for purchase at premium.

But yes of course your AD is going to say supply has reduced whilst sending all the watches out the back for a major markup and an easy few grand profit.

Sell to you for MSRP or sell to a Gray dealer and split profits? Hmmmm I know what I would do if my pure aim is to make as much money as I possibly can.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:27 PM   #48
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
HAHAHA - now I really know you have no idea what you are talking about. Obviously you have not seen any gray dealers inventory in HK/Malaysia/Taiwan/Macau and China lately of all the so called "hot" watches that apparently have unlimited quantities available for purchase at premium.

But yes of course your AD is going to say supply has reduced whilst sending all the watches out the back for a major markup and an easy few grand profit.
(HAHAHAH). I know exactly what I'm talking about. Do you get messages from greys on pieces you may be interested in? If you don't, sit down and take a deep breathe.

I also have great relationships with ADs, so it's the same story across the board.
You still failed to tell me what their production numbers were since COSC got a "mouthgag" from Rolex (Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about ).

Let me know if you want a grey dealer recommendation (I saw you started a thread) in Hong Kong. I have a handful good ones. I promise I won't send you in the wrong direction, because that's how much I actually do know.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:10 AM   #49
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Why would Ads be interested in stopping greys when infact its the ads that are supplying the greys in the 1st place
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:28 AM   #50
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
I’m with Adam on this one. No card, no watch. I’m not buying.

For anyone worried about not have the warranty card and needing warranty work, according to Rolex, you have two ways to set warranty work in motion. One is to send the physical warranty card with the watch. The second is to make a photocopy copy of the warranty card, front and back, and a copy of the Bill of Sale. Now, if you bought grey, the Bill Of Sale is worthless to Rolex, and your warranty work will probably be denied. If it was bought through a Rolex AD, you’re good to go.

That’s the instructions here in the USA. Not sure if those instructions are worldwide.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:33 AM   #51
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

I would think it’s illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:48 AM   #52
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The warranty card issue is one of those middle ground policies that doesn't really solve the problem, but is enough of a pain in the ass to get everybody wound up.

So...Rolex. Either fix the problem or don't. But please, don't go to the middle ground.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:49 AM   #53
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The only facts available support the demand exceeding supply scenario. Sales to the Far East have increased significantly.

More ADs in more countries with no ramp up in production mean that your AD will see less of a given reference.

I started a thread here.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=631555

Old 22 November 2018, 02:19 AM   #54
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I picked up my JC2 at the weekend. The AD kept the warranty card. They asked me if I wanted a photocopy and I declined. No point as I'm never going to sell the watch. It's not an issue for genuine buyers.

It appears people want to make things bigger than they are. It's just a watch.

We have had stickergate, handtaggate , coffinboxgate and now warrantyygate.

Sorry for going off at a tangent.
Now you have started tangentgate. Thanks
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:35 AM   #55
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Do you really get denied service for a new watch without the warranty card? Ive seen alot here in singapore they just check in the system if your warranty is still valid via watch seriel number.

Saying “no warranty card - no service” is not accurate.
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:41 AM   #56
LPan
"TRF" Member

No that's not the case. Brexit was the start of it all - simply because the pound plummeted and the fact that Rolex had yet to implement a price increase in the UK meant buying a Rolex from the UK was the cheapest place in the world. People from all over the world were calling ADs and just buying up whatever stock was there. They would fly in just to pick them up. The run on stock, the price increase in the secondary market as a result and the seemingly continued lack of supply is what has perpetuated the situation. Despite two increase since (late 2016 and most recently) on an RRP basis, the UK remains cheapest in Europe. The FX difference has been the biggest influence. Continued uncertainty around Brexit and any further declines to sterling will further cement this situation. All my opinion of course.
Old 22 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #57
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Maby Rolex should just scrap the physical warranty card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:20 AM   #58
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
I’m with Adam on this one. No card, no watch. I’m not buying.

For anyone worried about not have the warranty card and needing warranty work, according to Rolex, you have two ways to set warranty work in motion. One is to send the physical warranty card with the watch. The second is to make a photocopy copy of the warranty card, front and back, and a copy of the Bill of Sale. Now, if you bought grey, the Bill Of Sale is worthless to Rolex, and your warranty work will probably be denied. If it was bought through a Rolex AD, you’re good to go.

That’s the instructions here in the USA. Not sure if those instructions are worldwide.

I have no comment on the no card, no watch but as far as warranty goes this is what I do know.

In the US I know they will not deny you if you have a valid warranty card, even if you are not the original purchaser and do not have a bill of sale. In the US, the warranty follows the watch. I personally know people who have bought a watch off this site and sent it in for work with only a photocopy of the card needed and asked for by RUSA. Their name was not on the card yet it was accepted for warranty coverage. This is at a US RSC service center. They were treated well and no questions asked. They even got the little green pouch included with the watch on its return.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:26 AM   #59
LPan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
I have no comment on the no card, no watch but as far as warranty goes this is what I do know.

In the US I know they will not deny you if you have a valid warranty card, even if you are not the original purchaser and do not have a bill of sale. In the US, the warranty follows the watch. I personally know people who have bought a watch off this site and sent it in for work with only a photocopy of the card needed and asked for by RUSA. Their name was not on the card yet it was accepted for warranty coverage. This is at a US RSC service center. They were treated well and no questions asked. They even got the little green pouch included with the watch on its return.
I spoke with the main Rolex service centre in the UK and the official line the card does not matter from a servicing perspective. It is buyers who are placing the emphasis on the card/paperwork and as such Rolex is working with ADs to use this pressure point to discourage grey market.
Old 22 November 2018, 03:33 AM   #60
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
If l was second hand with just a copy of the warranty card, l wouldn't. Who needs that aggravation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote