The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 October 2018, 01:38 AM   #91
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The hype didn't even die at Basel this year for the LVc when it should have as their disco rumours were proved false, nothing will stem this tide but a serious and prolonged downturn in the economy.
And that folks is what's coming.......

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
Old 15 October 2018, 01:41 AM   #92
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I can afford to buy any of the hot ones on the grey, Blro, Skyd, Daytona or LVc but I'm just not a fan, if I were knowing me I still wouldn't pay over MSRP and apparently I'm not the only one. At this point I can't see the Blro going anywhere but down. My guess 15k within a year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2018, 01:46 AM   #93
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Msrp
Old 15 October 2018, 01:56 AM   #94
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I can afford to buy any of the hot ones on the grey, Blro, Skyd, Daytona or LVc but I'm just not a fan, if I were knowing me I still wouldn't pay over MSRP and apparently I'm not the only one. At this point I can't see the Blro going anywhere but down. My guess 15k within a year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
by the end of the year, imo. they are readily available in the 16s. seems the drop off in the past month or so have been swift.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:57 AM   #95
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Another vote for MSRP or under
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 15 October 2018, 02:01 AM   #96
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

MSRP+Tax. Or, I’ll do what I just did. Bought a DJ41 from my AD for a slight discount, while I wait for the sky-dweller at MSRP. Plus, I needed a formal watch anyways.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:12 AM   #97
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
For starters, your premise for the thread is false. People are willing to pay 17k (and above) for the watch. Just go take a look at the FS section. When they stop paying 17k for it, you will see the prices of it dip down into the 16's. Are there any BLRO's in the classifieds here for 16k? I haven't seen it.

And then, if they stop paying that, then you will see prices in the 15's. See how that works?

Now of course, none of the posters here who consider it to be such an egregious practice to pay over MSRP would do such a thing.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:15 AM   #98
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
Correct. Ppl are still having trouble getting blue / black.
If ppl are willing to wait long enough then they will be available, like the LN. Give it 6 years or so.
This.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:16 AM   #99
GBD
"TRF" Member

Never Over MSRP.

Old 15 October 2018, 02:31 AM   #100
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
So much anger here.. the market is what the market is. Simple as that. I've been blown away by the non-ceramic used Daytona's on the market. It's insane but it is what it is...
I’m not reading any post here that’s angry, just telling it as it is.

The bubble is popping.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:33 AM   #101
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

These watches are expensive enough as it is. MRSP or not at all for me.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:50 AM   #102
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
I’m not reading any post here that’s angry, just telling it as it is.

The bubble is popping.
depends on what side of the equation you are on. Same is true in any market. If you dont own stocks and have nothing to lose its a bubble. If you do then its not. People always bet on the side they are not on.

Secondary prices are dynamic and efficient. Adjusting down is normal as more become available and as people inevitably move on. The more supply you add the less sustainable a high price is. Popping implies its headed to retail or below and that isnt happening.

The most ridiculous thing you will hear is a year, or two is a BLRO at 13k or 12k or whatever means its not popular (its already starting now at 17k from 21k). Sad state of affairs when watches are judged by the % premium they command rather than the fact that any premium for a watch indicates its wildly successful.

I don't like the BLNR but the premium it commands vs a BLRO doesn't make it a less successful watch as its very hard to get too and Rolex sells every single one they ship and sell it immediately.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 October 2018, 02:56 AM   #103
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
How do we draw the line between paying lots and I mean lots of money for vintage Rolex, to the point way above its MSRP adjusted for inflation but not above MSRP for a modern SS BLRO?

I suppose the argument for the former is because they don't make it any more, it's rare, etc. And I think some of those arguments also apply to the SS Pepsi. While they still make SS Pepsi, they hardly make it (on purpose). So I feel it's back to square one.

And I'm not sure how available these watches will be in the future. I think the SS Pepsi is like the Supreme Hoodie of Rolex. That's the brand strategy these days.and it's working. These threads come up all the time. How much free advertising Rolex is getting!
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
Old 15 October 2018, 03:02 AM   #104
igatomic
"TRF" Member

I think back to the 3250 I spent on my Swiss Dial 16700, shake my head and smile. I personally wouldn't spend more than 2k on it. Dislike the ceramic bezels...
Old 15 October 2018, 03:11 AM   #105
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

Already have a 16710 Pepsi which is arguably better.
Old 15 October 2018, 03:42 AM   #106
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

How much you're willing to spent on that BLRO depends on your spending habit, there're kids willing to pay $10,000 above MSRP for Honda Civic TypeR, and many people will do the same for other new things...For me, I did not get my Toyota truck when it just came out because dealer would want more for it. I waited 2 years and got the same new truck thousand dollars less and will do the same for the BLRO.

Many think the SS BLRO is hot but most people out there don't even care or know it's a Rolex so we in many ways live the cocoon of TRF. I bet many has nowhere to show their watches but here on the Internet.
Old 15 October 2018, 03:51 AM   #107
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
depends on what side of the equation you are on. Same is true in any market. If you dont own stocks and have nothing to lose its a bubble. If you do then its not. People always bet on the side they are not on.

Secondary prices are dynamic and efficient. Adjusting down is normal as more become available and as people inevitably move on. The more supply you add the less sustainable a high price is. Popping implies its headed to retail or below and that isnt happening.

The most ridiculous thing you will hear is a year, or two is a BLRO at 13k or 12k or whatever means its not popular (its already starting now at 17k from 21k). Sad state of affairs when watches are judged by the % premium they command rather than the fact that any premium for a watch indicates its wildly successful.

I don't like the BLNR but the premium it commands vs a BLRO doesn't make it a less successful watch as its very hard to get too and Rolex sells every single one they ship and sell it immediately.
Uh, OK...but we are questioning your comment that people are expressing anger. We dont see it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2018, 03:53 AM   #108
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I have been waiting .. .. ..
and waiting .. .. ..
and will continue to patiently wait.
Not feeding the "scalpers'" kids.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 15 October 2018, 03:56 AM   #109
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Uh, OK...but we are questioning your comment that people are expressing anger. We dont see it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
i was responding to the bubble comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
just telling it as it is.

The bubble is popping.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 October 2018, 04:08 AM   #110
Robertolewis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblpro74 View Post
For those of you in the market like me but just can’t seem to pull the trigger.

What’s your hold out price?

Still well above retail....I can stomach 13k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is my simple thought process.
If it is an "I have to have it and it makes me happy because I work hard for my money" thing, who cares, buy it, love it and live life. I recently picked up a BLRO at retail and I paid WAY above retail for my white Daytona and I don't regret it.

I do know that bitching about it takes away from the passion that is this forum.

Yes I'm new to the forum but in no way new to Rolex and other watches.

Even if you pay a premium for a piece like a Daytona C and the "bubble" crashes, your only going to loose a few bucks if you decide to sell it all. One thing about paying a premium and getting the grail watch is, you have it on your wrist and get on with the day making that money so when the AD calls after a long wait you can grab the next one at retail.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth...
Old 15 October 2018, 04:12 AM   #111
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
There are still plenty of people paying the premium.
Old 15 October 2018, 04:15 AM   #112
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

Msrp
Old 15 October 2018, 04:19 AM   #113
Rafabond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, etc
and the Hulk you tell me? for me I think Pepsi is much better and harder than the Hulk to get in an AD. $ 14,000 will be the price that will be maintained.
Old 15 October 2018, 04:33 AM   #114
rolex0000
"TRF" Member

Guys just a food for thought: the BLNR is selling Grey for around 11k, this BLRO started Grey at 21k and us now down to 17k, already people who bought at 21k are taking a 4k loss in value, my guess is this will settle at 13k max!
Old 15 October 2018, 04:37 AM   #115
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
MSRP or less. I waited 2 years for my AD to get me a BLNR and got it at a nice discount. If I wanted a BLRO, which I don’t, I’d just be patient.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 15 October 2018, 04:48 AM   #116
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
5 to 10% off MSRP. We all can get the BLRO/Hulk/BLNR/Daytona C, but pay anything over MSRP is criminal. Like others have said these are not vintage watches that are not made anymore. I feel bad for the ones that actually paid 15-20k price tags.

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
Old 15 October 2018, 04:58 AM   #117
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertolewis View Post
Here is my simple thought process.
If it is an "I have to have it and it makes me happy because I work hard for my money" thing, who cares, buy it, love it and live life. I recently picked up a BLRO at retail and I paid WAY above retail for my white Daytona and I don't regret it.

I do know that bitching about it takes away from the passion that is this forum.

Yes I'm new to the forum but in no way new to Rolex and other watches.

Even if you pay a premium for a piece like a Daytona C and the "bubble" crashes, your only going to loose a few bucks if you decide to sell it all. One thing about paying a premium and getting the grail watch is, you have it on your wrist and get on with the day making that money so when the AD calls after a long wait you can grab the next one at retail.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth...
Agree with this up until the Daytona holding value when the bubble crashes. The Daytona, from what I have seen, appears to have peaked a few months ago (for used models) at $20-21k and is now down to $18-19k. I'd expect prices to fall to between $16k for a mild correction but potentially down to $13k depending on the severity of the market correction. Longer term, if Rolex doesn't chance production, I'd expect prices to bump back up when the economy recovers, although not to peak levels.

This isn't an attack at you, so please don't interpret it as such, but I think people underestimate the effects of bubbles and subsequent crashes. When in a bubble, prices just seem to keep going up and up and it seems ridiculous that they'd ever come back down again. Yet, when things start going badly, there's this sense that something impossible is happening -- "how could it really be this bad?" We all seem to forget this, and also seem to forget that these crazy prices only really started within the last 12-18 months -- before that, anything more than a 25% premium was unprecedented, and that was really only on the Daytona. Now you have a small premium on the BLACK SUB! We could, and likely will (IMO), see a 25%+ value slash within a month or two on popular models.
Old 15 October 2018, 05:21 AM   #118
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Though not my own favourite, I think the Daytona will always be Rolex's 'special' piece and always hard to get hold of at MSRP, even more so in these times of steel sports frenzy.

As others have commented on, a massive recession sometimes offers hiccups even for the Daytona but not unlike central London property, it always seems to recover lost ground.

Someone asked me the other day what I thought the latest C model would ever go up to.

Simple! It will never go past the price of an all white gold Daytona model. This will be the ceiling it can't shatter (unless people lose their minds completely of course).
Old 15 October 2018, 06:42 AM   #119
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
For starters, your premise for the thread is false. People are willing to pay 17k (and above) for the watch. Just go take a look at the FS section. When they stop paying 17k for it, you will see the prices of it dip down into the 16's. Are there any BLRO's in the classifieds here for 16k? I haven't seen it.

And then, if they stop paying that, then you will see prices in the 15's. See how that works?

Now of course, none of the posters here who consider it to be such an egregious practice to pay over MSRP would do such a thing.
I don’t see many of any selling recently, but I don’t check too
Much, are they actually selling at that price? Looks like a lot of asking, tons of inventory in grey, not many buyers which equals overpriced.

steve
Old 15 October 2018, 06:55 AM   #120
vipergts66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Great question OP - highlights that MSRP is a reference that only has a coincidentlay relationship with the market price and asks people to think about what the watch is worth to them.

Maybe another way to think about the question is - if the MSRP was 16k (or 14, or 12) would you still be a buyer?

I wasn’t in the market for one - until I saw it and saw the wrist pics here. I’d pay US12k for one now...but it’s been a bit of a torrid year of watch shopping for me, so I’m on a break at the moment

When I reopen my acquisition budget for next year, I’d pay 14k for one.
I think you make a very valid point. The question is what is the watch worth to you? And that’s what you should pay. Usually that should be close in line with MSRP.

But to those who just default say MSRP and are anti-grey, ask yourself if Rolex priced the SS BLRO at $12,400 would you still say MSRP?
Apple Watch Series 1
Closed Thread