The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 02:11 PM   #31
broham84
"TRF" Member

Rolex sports models just started to get hot this decade in mainland China, 5 years ago most of people didn't know what a hulk was. Now everyone and their mother is trying to get their hands on one. You'd be surprised how many Rolex SS sports models are being bought all over the world and shipped to China everyday. Shortage will get worse if Rolex keeps the production at a steady level.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 02:26 PM   #32
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBoncu2902 View Post
Some people thing that this madness is because rolex limit their production to increase the price. I just want to share information I got that this is not true.

Supply is still the same.

The madness is because demand has increased and people are willing to pay a premium to get their watch now. That’s all. And while global supply may be the same, it doesn’t mean supply hasn’t shifted such that more watches are going to Asia (for example) and fewer going to the US/UK. I know for a fact that my AD has received fewer SS sports watches this past year than the years before (for full disclosure I am not on any waiting lists).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 02:45 PM   #33
broham84
"TRF" Member

Mainland China is the real reason, the US isn't even the biggest swiss watch market by a big margin. SS Rolex sports models just got hot this past decade or so in China, 5 years ago most of people didn't know what a hulk was now everyone and their mother wants one. You'd be surprised how many Rolex watches from all over the world are being shipped to China everyday.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:17 PM   #34
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Some models are always going to be in demand. Daytona 15 years ago... I recall seeing pre owned Zeniths for very reasonable prices, less than the then current model which was selling for strong money due to a wait list. Now good ones are like gold dust. 10 years ago (I believe as I wasn't in tthe market for one at the time...) 5711 we're available for below list pre owned, now they are almost 2x the new inflated retail price.

In recent years, in my opinion, low interest rates have fuelled massive consumer spending. "Why put cash in the bank and earn poor returns when you can enjoy it?" Add in the fact that there are plenty of 30 something's (I am 36 so not discriminating) who have never really experienced a severe downtown in markets and economic expectations but are now becoming financially comfortable and have disposable income for luxury goods. Even the older millennials were barely into employment last time a crisis hit. This gives many newly financially secure people little fear and the view that long term process always go up. Housing, classic cars, luxury watches... Everywhere you look.

If people were not convinced of strong future values of Rolex SS there would not be insane waitlists. It won't take much softness to stop the speculators, and there could be, snowball effect, with some (not all) waitlists pieces seeing availability. E.g. 5712 im precious metals are popular now and I was considering buying one this week. If you could get a 5711a or 5712a within 6 months at list would these PM pieces be selling at a premium? I doubt it!
I couldnt agree more. Very2 well said.
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:45 PM   #35
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I don't agree at all with the sentiment that Rolex needs any exclusivity. These are at their core tool watches that are shined and dressed up. Their robustness and accuracy and dependability are their most valuable features. Not their look at me I have a Rolex aren't I special factor.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:57 PM   #36
chows99
"TRF" Member

Despite the common-ness and it seems to be everywhere, rolex is still special to me and many others.
chows99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:00 AM   #37
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
Despite the common-ness and it seems to be everywhere, rolex is still special to me and many others.
They're special to me as well. But not because of any sense of exclusivity.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:45 AM   #38
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBoncu2902 View Post
Very interesting discussion between me and rolex boutique yesterday when I purchased my wife her birthday gift.

He said that their sales these past 2 years have gone up significanly. This fact shows that rolex never slows down the production but the demands just grows up much faster than it production number. He can not count how many more people come both from WIS and no WIS to ask about sport rolex

He also said, the number supply from Rolex always be the same from the beginning. They get around 10-15 sport rolex every month.

I think if what he said is correct, this kind of madness will continue for a very2 long time

Supply has gone up....some. It does not explain the broader issue which is there is plenty of supply available-simply not from the AD. If one wants any model at all they can go to their nearest gray and have it now period. That’s not a true supply issue it’s a distribution chain issue.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:24 AM   #39
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Good!

The day a Rolex watch is easy to get is the day I lose interest.
spoke my mind undiluted. luxurious lifestyle remains paramount.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote