The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 November 2018, 01:32 PM   #1
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Rolex blockchain

For those techies here, would blockchain help Rolex counter the AD and grey market abuses?

Rolex can also use it to manage their warranties.

Have a simple consumer blockchain app to allow checks and referencing.

For those concern about privacy, it doesn't have to record any individual names, just the ref. serial# and most importantly the history right up to the display cases (even at the greys).

Sure buyers will need to be educated to check on the blockchain... even when buying from greys or perhaps even insist that the blockchain is updated.

Imagine a complete history of a watch from Rolex SA right up to your wrist...
cuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Doubt it. Privacy issues are a major legal compliance factor which rolex cant possibly want to be in the middle of.

Also, it wouldnt stop the 2ndary market from existing.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:45 PM   #3
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Rolex SA should care as the current trend is detrimental to their branding in the long run.

yup, GDPR would be a potential issue but again buyers need not put in their names.

The bigger challenge would be to get the shops (regardless of channel) to participate. This is where as consumers we have the collective power to shape.
Old 21 November 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffs View Post
Rolex SA should care as the current trend is detrimental to their branding in the long run.

yup, GDPR would be a potential issue but again buyers need not put in their names.

The bigger challenge would be to get the shops (regardless of channel) to participate. This is where as consumers we have the collective power to shape.
Key word is should. Took Rolex 20 years to realize rubber straps were in.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:54 PM   #5
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Key word is should. Took Rolex 20 years to realize rubber straps were in.
LOL how true

Old 21 November 2018, 02:11 PM   #6
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Warranty should follow the watch not the owner. Not sure how blockchain would help except for tracing ownership and helping in case of theft?

How would a Rolex sales associate explain blockchain to a guy buying himself a retirement present and wanting to pay cash from under his mattress?!
Old 21 November 2018, 02:43 PM   #7
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Warranty should follow the watch not the owner. Not sure how blockchain would help except for tracing ownership and helping in case of theft?

How would a Rolex sales associate explain blockchain to a guy buying himself a retirement present and wanting to pay cash from under his mattress?!
No doubt warranty follows the watch and not the user and it's exactly where blockchain helps. It doesn't just stop at the shop but extends beyond and follows the watch indefinitely. Imagine you buying on the secondary market and knowing full history of a watch including any prior service!

I think knowing the history of a particular watch adds so much more value and personal bonding with it. Imagine again, if you even knew the name of the watchmaker at Rolex SA that gave birth to your piece

Beyond the technical jargon, Blockchain is really a simple concept to grasp. An easy explanation would be, how the records of the watch is kept electronically across multiple database (ledgers) and in so doing increases the intrinsic value of the watch.

just saying...
Old 21 November 2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
No doubt warranty follows the watch and not the user and it's exactly where blockchain helps. It doesn't just stop at the shop but extends beyond and follows the watch indefinitely. Imagine you buying on the secondary market and knowing full history of a watch including any prior service!

I think knowing the history of a particular watch adds so much more value and personal bonding with it. Imagine again, if you even knew the name of the watchmaker at Rolex SA that gave birth to your piece

Beyond the technical jargon, Blockchain is really a simple concept to grasp. An easy explanation would be, how the records of the watch is kept electronically across multiple database (ledgers) and in so doing increases the intrinsic value of the watch.

just saying...
Exactly

And you're correct, it's really a simple concept to grasp.

I like to think about it from a tracking perspective... For example, when a product is ordered... It might ship from the manufacturer (or supplier) to you. And that might be all that matters to you. Which is fine.

But if you look at the detailed tracking (or blockchain history - in this analogy) you see that the package might have shipped from a store in Greensboro, NC; and then landed at a sort facility in Raleigh; and then went to a hub in Memphis, TN; and then landed at a distribution center in Houston, TX; and then got routed to a local sort center; and then got dispatched to a delivery truck which dropped it at your house.

With blockchain, all of those steps are accounted for. If this type of history existed with each individual watch, we'd have far more information to go off of when determining value, legality, desire, etc...
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 03:35 PM   #9
cuffs
"TRF" Member

LOL, wouldn't go as a far as tracking the actual supply chain UNLESS Rolex starts selling online which is a complete different discussion altogether.

Just key milestones on the life of the watch would good enough - when it was assembled, watchmaker's name, when it left Rolex SA, which direct store or channel AD shipped to...date purchased, last service, etc...

more i think about it, more i believe this will work. Sure, it won't solve the current price madness but the value of blockchain brings so so much more to the table.

Rolex has more to gain IMHO to adopt the tech rather than giving it a miss.
Old 21 November 2018, 03:36 PM   #10
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Six View Post
With blockchain, all of those steps are accounted for. If this type of history existed with each individual watch, we'd have far more information to go off of when determining value, legality, desire, etc...
Why would Rolex want you to be able to check that? They don't want more possible reasons for nerdy customers to "disqualify" purchases. You don't need to "know the story" behind a Rolex if you buy it new at an AD. Which is what loads of people are doing, full price, more than ever. Not sure why people keep wishfully stating that the current situation is somehow harming Rolex...they're doing unbelievably well. They're so hot they have TWO-TONE watches selling out at msrp for the first time I can remember. Hurting the brand? C'mon
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 03:58 PM   #11
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Why would Rolex want you to be able to check that? They don't want more possible reasons for nerdy customers to "disqualify" purchases. You don't need to "know the story" behind a Rolex if you buy it new at an AD. Which is what loads of people are doing, full price, more than ever. Not sure why people keep wishfully stating that the current situation is somehow harming Rolex...they're doing unbelievably well. They're so hot they have TWO-TONE watches selling out at msrp for the first time I can remember. Hurting the brand? C'mon
Second this.

Rolex watch prices have never been stronger. The grey market will always exist. To try stamp it out is wishful thinking.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:06 PM   #12
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
For those techies here, would blockchain help Rolex counter the AD and grey market abuses?

Rolex can also use it to manage their warranties.

Have a simple consumer blockchain app to allow checks and referencing.

For those concern about privacy, it doesn't have to record any individual names, just the ref. serial# and most importantly the history right up to the display cases (even at the greys).

Sure buyers will need to be educated to check on the blockchain... even when buying from greys or perhaps even insist that the blockchain is updated.

Imagine a complete history of a watch from Rolex SA right up to your wrist...
In my opinion, yes. We have this article covering one independent supply chain solution targeting luxury goods, VeChain. We cover other supply chain tokens elsewhere on the site.

https://thecryptocurrencyforums.com/...-authenticity/

(Note we don’t promote specific cryptos or have affiliate links in the articles. Content is meant as educational only)

The greatest benefit would be for verification of authenticity, but RFID tagging watches isn’t feasible at this time.

One question will be whether manufacturers use in-house blockchain, major supplier chains or independent decentralized solutions like the one mentioned above.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:23 PM   #13
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Infiity billion million % in agreement with you.

Please don't give neurotic consumers something else to go in a tailspin over...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:34 PM   #14
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
who said anything about Rolex checking, its for owners - potential and current ones. Rather than disqualify, I rather see it as 'qualify' new nerdy customer base

Buying at the AD is all good and if you're into TT or the less popular models but what if its the hot BLRO or the 116500 SS ?

Perception is reality!! and with the current sentiments and frustrations more widepsread. I would be concerned if I'm Rolex regardless if its a super brand which reasons all the more to listen to their customers.

The watch industry is rapidly changing. Both manufacturers and buyers are increasingly more knowledgeable and more savvy. People know what they want and what to pay, even Hayek commented the need to be closer to the consumers when announcing the departure from Baselworld - "We are present in the whole world with our brands, close to the consumer and the retailer...
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wh...-of-baselworld

"Today everything has become more transparent, fast-moving, and instantaneous. Accordingly, a different rhythm and a different approach is needed.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberta.../#a76864069df2

A company who fails to listen to their customers are failing on so many levels. Whilst owning a Rolex is a super experience, the buying experience is rubbish. As a willing paying customer, why the contempt and disdain for some at the ADs. I can relate once put my name on the waiting list for an LV and the AD had to nerve to include an additional qualifying condition that i had to buy another not so popular model.
Old 21 November 2018, 10:54 PM   #15
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
who said anything about Rolex checking, its for owners - potential and current ones. Rather than disqualify, I rather see it as 'qualify' new nerdy customer base

Buying at the AD is all good and if you're into TT or the less popular models but what if its the hot BLRO or the 116500 SS ?

Perception is reality!! and with the current sentiments and frustrations more widepsread. I would be concerned if I'm Rolex regardless if its a super brand which reasons all the more to listen to their customers.

The watch industry is rapidly changing. Both manufacturers and buyers are increasingly more knowledgeable and more savvy. People know what they want and what to pay, even Hayek commented the need to be closer to the consumers when announcing the departure from Baselworld - "We are present in the whole world with our brands, close to the consumer and the retailer...

"Today everything has become more transparent, fast-moving, and instantaneous. Accordingly, a different rhythm and a different approach is needed.

A company who fails to listen to their customers are failing on so many levels. Whilst owning a Rolex is a super experience, the buying experience is rubbish. As a willing paying customer, why the contempt and disdain for some at the ADs. I can relate once put my name on the waiting list for an LV and the AD had to nerve to include an additional qualifying condition that i had to buy another not so popular model.
Sounds like you're mad that you can't get the Rolex you want, so you're wishing that it's bad for Rolex. It's not. Rolex demand is stronger than ever. You'd be worried if you're Rolex? Worried you're making too many billions of dollars? Saying "wow this is bad for Rolex" doesn't make it true, no matter how many threads people make.

I've been a fan of cryptocurrency for a long time but this is not a good use for blockchain. Rolex has been doing their best to make it so we don't even know what YEAR a given watch was made in. Why would they suddenly want you to know exact dates when it was shipped etc.? It's literally the opposite of what Rolex seems to want.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:47 AM   #16
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
I don't disagree with you at all. Rolex likely couldn't care less. No reason for them to as, like you said, they are doing just fine.

I was more commenting on the blockchain process as a neat way for broad consumers to have a better understanding on the history of a piece. When it's new and purchased directly from an AD, it wouldn't matter (as you said). But thousands and thousands are purchased pre-owned or through a secondary market, which is where it would be helpful. Again, pretty much a moot point as Rolex wouldn't get behind it. Just interesting to think about I guess...
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:47 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Infiity billion million % in agreement with you.

Please don't give neurotic consumers something else to go in a tailspin over...
Yes, Rolex is more successful than ever, in the UK we were first to see the huge sea change in the market after Brexit and with it came arrogant service and no visible stock, and many of us complained naturally and said we'd go to other brands etc but it all made not a jot of difference to the Rolex juggernaut which has been steaming ahead on full power for over 2 years now, and only a black swan or two can really stop it I reckon.

People are attracted to success and money far more than to watches.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:04 AM   #18
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You're projecting your own WIS preferences for SS sports (and scarcity of such) into MACRO Rolex problems...

Well, that simply isn't the case...

The vast, vast majority of Rolex customers arrive at the AD and know nothing about Rolex except for it's the best and owning one will make them a "better" person compared to the commoners. That's it.

It's essentially, ROLEX PLEASE! , without any WIS considerations.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:51 AM   #19
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
What grey market abuses? I don't see any.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:41 PM   #20
cuffs
"TRF" Member

Seems I'm ruffled some feathers and stepped on some toes here. Obviously there're differing thoughts and even some denial on the current trend which I sincerely respect. I'm certainly not trying to impose my believes on anyone, instead merely sharing what I think among like minded enthusiast. No obligations expected except a good healthy debate.

Yes I'm frustrated but also blessed to have still a good collection of about a dozen watches to keep me going...

Looks like I'll be waiting for that BLRO or Daytona C for some time...

Cheers y'all