The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 21 December 2017, 07:10 AM   #121
shoprlx
"TRF" Member

I hope this gets resolved soon
shoprlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 07:55 AM   #122
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
You misinterpreted my statement.

We can't just stop proxy servers or VPNS. All we can see, after investigation is where the IP of the poster resolved to.

If it happens to be a proxy server, then it will never reflect the user's actual location.

This user used a proxy server for all his posts and we can now guess why. Plenty of other members here use VPNs for valid reasons.

Every request from the authorities for Paypal info will be met by the site admin.

It is heartrendingly unfortunate that the combination of unwarranted trust and predatory natures end up this way.
Understood, thanks for the clarification.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 08:46 AM   #123
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Would it be possible for this venue to create an entity that would be trustworthy for buyers and sellers to interact in a safe manner ? For example, as a first time seller I would gladly advertise my sale here, send the watch to this trustworthy entity, and pay a fee for the faithful intermediary work. The buyer could pay his fee. It would not be free but it would be safe enough.The entity would be responsible to judge whether the watch meets specifications in the sale thread and that it is good to be handed over to the buyer. The buyer would send the money to this entity and once the buyer is satisfied hand the money over to the seller.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 09:37 AM   #124
K12AN
"TRF" Member

I have wired payment for the 116600!
I have also been scammed it appears.
I’m in the UK please advise what I need to do.

Nightmare.

He has previously sold on the forum and was a member over a year.

Surely if we have all the account detail and bank etc something can be done.
K12AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 09:41 AM   #125
K12AN
"TRF" Member

I have wired payment for the 116600 and am also now concerned.
The seller definitely has the watch in his possession as he sent me pics with my name and date etc.
Unless he’s taken multiple payments for each watch then he may be telling the truth.
He is supposed to ship my watch today, but I’ve heard nothing from him
Old 21 December 2017, 09:51 AM   #126
Seagoingsailor
"TRF" Member

As a new member to the forum, this is a scary reality. Having just starting to collect timepieces this year. I thought it would be fun to get to know more about the "horological" aspect of different brands and those sharing the same interests. This leads me to want to hold onto what I have collected thus far and take the advice of fellow collector/traders on this site and others as well.
Seagoingsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:00 AM   #127
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Why would the thief have a friend with no posts and friended 1 day after the wire? Seems pretty fishy to me. This may be the leed to the overseas crook.
Because he was the second customer/victim, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12AN View Post
I have wired payment for the 116600 and am also now concerned.
The seller definitely has the watch in his possession as he sent me pics with my name and date etc.
Unless he’s taken multiple payments for each watch then he may be telling the truth.
He is supposed to ship my watch today, but I’ve heard nothing from him
I can only suggest that you watch this space for now.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:01 AM   #128
K12AN
"TRF" Member

Correct...I added him as a friend
Old 21 December 2017, 10:03 AM   #129
K12AN
"TRF" Member

He definitely has the watch in his possession, but I fear he’s advertised in on multiple sites and collected multiple payments with no intention to post it.
Quite sophisticated set up, as he’s sold watches on here in the past and got some good feedback over the year...so may have multiple accounts
Old 21 December 2017, 10:06 AM   #130
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
He definitely has the watch in his possession, but I fear he’s advertised in on multiple sites and collected multiple payments with no intention to post it.
Quite sophisticated set up, as he’s sold watches on here in the past and got some good feedback over the year...so may have multiple accounts
Yes, we've already established that he left feedback for himself and did other scam sales under various names. I expect he's done it on other watch forums, too.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:12 AM   #131
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Because he was the second customer/victim, apparently.

I can only suggest that you watch this space for now.
Actually Adam from your link on page 3 #88 you said this scammer was also polowatch. Thats now 3 people ripped off for big dollars on this forum in less than a month. How many more are there? Time to think of a way to make it more secure for people. Sellers need to be vetted more than they currently are so this nonsense stops IMO.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:14 AM   #132
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Actually Adam from your link on page 3 #88 you said this scammer was also polowatch. Thats now 3 people ripped off for big dollars on this forum in less than a month. How many more are there? Time to think of a way to make it more secure for people. Sellers need to be vetted more than they currently are so this nonsense stops IMO.

With all due respect it’s not the moderators job to vet sellers for buyers. The mods go above and beyond to make this forum as safe as possible. But ultimately it’s the buyers job to do their own due diligence. Please remember these moderators are unpaid and do this on their own personal time. If you feel you need more support perhaps eBay and other sites would be more suitable for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 December 2017, 10:16 AM   #133
K12AN
"TRF" Member

So do I just need to start coming to terms with this now...
There is nothing I can do?

Surely the bank account I paid to could be frozen or at least investigated?
Am I allowed to post any details of the transaction and those provided by the seller?
Old 21 December 2017, 10:20 AM   #134
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I meant the second person in this particular case/thread, to point out that your accusation against K12AN was hasty and wrong.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:22 AM   #135
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
So do I just need to start coming to terms with this now...
There is nothing I can do?

Surely the bank account I paid to could be frozen or at least investigated?
Am I allowed to post any details of the transaction and those provided by the seller?
You can post all the info you like. Assuming your deal was an international one, this may be harder to solve for you than for the US based member.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:31 AM   #136
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Would it be possible for this venue to create an entity that would be trustworthy for buyers and sellers to interact in a safe manner ? For example, as a first time seller I would gladly advertise my sale here, send the watch to this trustworthy entity, and pay a fee for the faithful intermediary work. The buyer could pay his fee. It would not be free but it would be safe enough.The entity would be responsible to judge whether the watch meets specifications in the sale thread and that it is good to be handed over to the buyer. The buyer would send the money to this entity and once the buyer is satisfied hand the money over to the seller.
You can contact some of the trusted sellers and see if they’ll act as your intermediary for a fee. If not, they may be able to recommend options.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:31 AM   #137
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
With all due respect it’s not the moderators job to vet sellers for buyers. The mods go above and beyond to make this forum as safe as possible. But ultimately it’s the buyers job to do their own due diligence. Please remember these moderators are unpaid and do this on their own personal time. If you feel you need more support perhaps eBay and other sites would be more suitable for you.

Thank you Josh.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:40 AM   #138
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
This is very bad , Sounds like this is the same guy that used different accounts like Albertgreg,Jarton,MelvinF etc,etc.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:47 AM   #139
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
This is very bad , Sounds like this is the same guy that used different accounts like Albertgreg,Jarton,MelvinF etc,etc.
Well, you always let us know when that guy is active, in forensic detail, so does this mean you're seeing similarities here, too? Or are you just using this thread to keep those names out there?
Old 21 December 2017, 10:48 AM   #140
kumar75203
Banned

edit: never mind. my post was about Chase having issues with wire transfers

looks like there is corroborating evidence this guy is a scammer
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:55 AM   #141
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Well, you always let us know when that guy is active, in forensic detail, so does this mean you're seeing similarities here, too? Or are you just using this thread to keep those names out there?
Both:

I'm seeing some similarities:

-Short replies like congrats , nice etc., to work on the post count
-Stolen Pics
-Fake email references
-References with no ad to support the sale
-Same kind of watches at lower than mkt prices
-The fake references looks like a copy paste from the previous fake references.
-Both look like they're using stolen bank info from third parties.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 10:59 AM   #142
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I agree that it isn't the mod's duty, and in fact if the site started vetting sellers, it would end up with a whole lot of potential liability.

But as someone suggested, why not have the $25 fee be paid $10 by Paypal and $15 by credit card. Wouldn't that at the very least make it easier to trace people and harder to create a fake identity? Other than perhaps $1 or $2 of extra processing fees for TRF, this seems pretty simple. And of course, TRF could up their Patron fee to cover the extra cost.
Old 21 December 2017, 11:22 AM   #143
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

A lot of the stuff (with all due respect) is common sense. JRS146 laid out a decent playbook to avoid being scammed. While the rules and advice page provides some info, maybe it would be best to pin a simple straightforward thread in the for sale section strictly with tips to avoid being scammed. These scammers are such lowlifes, they’re so pathetic, and luckily they’ll die without a nickel in their pathetic pockets.

I’d welcome others to add, but here is my tip list, I guarantee following this reduces your chances of being scammed by 97%:

1) DO NOT buy internationally! Your odds of being scammed def go up in this method. The prices being paid in your country are the prices you have to pay.

2) FaceTime the seller, a lot harder to deceive in video, if the seller isn’t open to this, walk.

3) When FaceTiming the seller, ask to see their license on the spot, if they won’t show, walk. Who doesn’t have a license on them? Ask other questions, things that will catch a scammer off guard... what kind of car do you have? Can you show me your insurance card that matches the car? Stuff like this so you can absolutely identify the individual. Where do you work? What’s your LinkedIn profile? Okay, I’m sending you an invite now while we FaceTime, please go to your computer and accept while we are FaceTiming... Can you also send me an email from your work handle?

I get it, everything there sounds insane, but you’re wiring someone 5 figures worth of money, you need to thoroughly establish who they are. You should also FaceTime them while they’re at their office, make them flash the camera around.

The whole point of above is so you can absolutely 100% identify who you’re doing business with. By the end of all of the FaceTiming, you should think; “in a doomsday scenario, am I 1,000% confident I can identify the individual?” If the answer isn’t yes, walk.

I’m on my phone so I didn’t proofread this post, but I think it gives you an idea. Might sound nuts, but a scammer will prob move along to an easier target. It’s your money, and if you’re wiring it, you have the right to know this stuff.

From a sellers standpoint, I have Lifelock and have no issue sharing everything excluding with my SS with a buyer... If a seller won’t give you the important info (within reason), never send them money. Not a box of pretzels we’re talking about here.
Old 21 December 2017, 11:35 AM   #144
Jim Smyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I agree that it isn't the mod's duty, and in fact if the site started vetting sellers, it would end up with a whole lot of potential liability.

But as someone suggested, why not have the $25 fee be paid $10 by Paypal and $15 by credit card. Wouldn't that at the very least make it easier to trace people and harder to create a fake identity? Other than perhaps $1 or $2 of extra processing fees for TRF, this seems pretty simple. And of course, TRF could up their Patron fee to cover the extra cost.
Page 4 post #111 I already recommended that. Its called checks and balances. Doesnt cost anything more. Doesnt make the mods work any harder than they do now. But its falling on deaf ears and it seems they dont want to make it any safer using that venue.

Its up to the Purchaser to make damm sure you know who your sending money too. Do your research, dont use a wire at all unless again you know who your sending your hard earned money too. Use payments that have built in safeguards if you dont receive what you paid for. Dont take anything for granted because there's very smart bad internet people out there that will steal you blind. Its happening here quite a bit so be very careful!
Old 21 December 2017, 11:41 AM   #145
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Page 4 post #111 I already recommended that. Its called checks and balances. Doesnt cost anything more. Doesnt make the mods work any harder than they do now. But its falling on deaf ears and it seems they dont want to make it any safer using that venue.

Its up to the Purchaser to make damm sure you know who your sending money too. Do your research, dont use a wire at all unless again you know who your sending your hard earned money too. Use payments that have built in safeguards if you dont receive what you paid for. Dont take anything for granted because there's very smart bad internet people out there that will steal you blind. Its happening here quite a bit so be very careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

And what happens when that credit card was a Visa pre-paid gift card? Will then there be an outcry for the mods to verify each credit card before accepting payment?

Obviously I’m all in favor of a safe environment. But I think you have to remember that this isn’t ebay. Scammers will find ways to buck the system as much as they can. No safeguards can replace a cautious buyer doing their own due diligence.

Old 21 December 2017, 11:43 AM   #146
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
And what happens when that credit card was a Visa pre-paid gift card? Will then there be an outcry for the mods to verify each credit card before accepting payment?

Obviously I’m all in favor of a safe environment. But I think you have to remember that this isn’t ebay. Scammers will find ways to buck the system as much as they can. No safeguards can replace a cautious buyer doing their own due diligence.

Great post - my first thoughts too.
Old 21 December 2017, 12:23 PM   #147
Jim Smyth
Banned

Quote:
I meant the second person in this particular case/thread, to point out that your accusation against K12AN was hasty and wrong.
Was it wrong? His 1st post that hes also scammed on a 116600 was at #124 . You guys I believe have all the sales of Karle12 locked down so I cant research this. Should be easy enough for a Mod too look up. But this poster has been on this board for 5 days and bought a watch from Karle12 on this forum and is on his friends list? Something doesnt add up.

I am a highly suspicious person by nature and my instincts are usually spot on. If I am wrong with K12AN I apologize in advance. He offered to post up all his info? I am ready when he is with the Police report. I believe him and Karle12 are the same person. Too many coincidences.
Old 21 December 2017, 12:23 PM   #148
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 1601,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Great post - my first thoughts too.
Exactly
Fjweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 12:34 PM   #149
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Was it wrong? His 1st post that hes also scammed on a 116600 was at #124 . You guys I believe have all the sales of Karle12 locked down so I cant research this. Should be easy enough for a Mod too look up. But this poster has been on this board for 5 days and bought a watch from Karle12 on this forum and is on his friends list? Something doesnt add up.

I am a highly suspicious person by nature and my instincts are usually spot on. If I am wrong with K12AN I apologize in advance. He offered to post up all his info? I am ready when he is with the Police report. I believe him and Karle12 are the same person. Too many coincidences.
A 116600 was advertised and then noted as OHPF by Karle12 on the next day (16 or 17, depending on your time zone). All you and your "highly suspicious nature" are doing is muddying the waters with your accusations, grumbling and background noise. I suggest you take a step back, cool down and let things take their course behind the scenes and with the members who have been effected.
Old 21 December 2017, 12:43 PM   #150
Jim Smyth
Banned

Thank You thats info we dont have available.