The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 January 2008, 01:21 AM   #1
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
What do you think of this one?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/jwl/532884933.html

I may contact the guy to see if he wants to meet me at an AD when I am in town next week.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 01:27 AM   #2
watchgeek

go for it david -- if it's real then that's a screaming good deal
watchgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 02:02 AM   #3
DSJ
"TRF" Member

I emailed him with general questions. If he gets back to me, I'll see if he will meet me at an AD.
Old 16 January 2008, 03:25 AM   #4
watchgeek

keep us posted
watchgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Think about it this way...

A watch that sold for about 18 grand just 3 years ago, the price of gold in those 3 years has skyrocketed and today he wants just 4 grand?

That's probably 5 grand less than any GM dealer would give him. Maybe he isnt offering it to the GM because he knows it fake. $1,000 will get you a tremendous fake. You won't know that the gold is fake until it starts coming off. Hopefully that happens before your body has a chance to absorb the lead that's in it.

Could be hot, could be an ex wife getting even. Be careful...sounds too good to be true.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 04:50 AM   #6
Peter Messmore

I agree with Allan,too good to be true,Peter
Peter Messmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 08:43 AM   #7
DSJ
"TRF" Member

I won't buy until I have it examined by a Rolex-trained watch person at an AD and have it opened up to verify. I'll keep you posted.
Old 16 January 2008, 09:12 AM   #8
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I won't buy until I have it examined by a Rolex-trained watch person at an AD and have it opened up to verify. I'll keep you posted.
Please do...tread carefully and good luck
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 02:36 PM   #9
DSJ
"TRF" Member

So I've been emailing back and forth with the seller that has posted in the Chicago Craigslist. He said he has the box, paperwork and is the orignal owner and offered to let me contact the jeweler who recently polished the band to verify authenticity. As yet, he has not told me why he is selling the watch. The interesting part is that he said he is out of town until Feb 15th. I asked him where he was and he said Sacramento. Well, it happens that I travel a lot and while I am in Chicago next week, I will be in Sacramento the following. I told him that, and I would like to meet him when I am in town and we can go to an AD together. He said someone may buy it Monday, but if I send him the money before that, he will send me the watch. I replied that I do not buy watches like this sight unseen, but if he still has the watch when I am in California, I would likely buy it if the authenticity check and condition check out. Let's face it, I could make some cash flipping this thing, but there is NO WAY I will risk getting burned and buy it without verification. I know AD's in the Bay Area, but can someone suggest an AD in Sacramento for this type of thing?

TREADING VERY CAREFULLY.
Old 16 January 2008, 03:00 PM   #10
dr_rolex

Watch: Cartier + Rolex
Icon4

With what he replied already..........it smells VERY FISHY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
So I've been emailing back and forth with the seller that has posted in the Chicago Craigslist. He said he has the box, paperwork and is the orignal owner and offered to let me contact the jeweler who recently polished the band to verify authenticity. As yet, he has not told me why he is selling the watch. The interesting part is that he said he is out of town until Feb 15th. I asked him where he was and he said Sacramento. Well, it happens that I travel a lot and while I am in Chicago next week, I will be in Sacramento the following. I told him that, and I would like to meet him when I am in town and we can go to an AD together. He said someone may buy it Monday, but if I send him the money before that, he will send me the watch. I replied that I do not buy watches like this sight unseen, but if he still has the watch when I am in California, I would likely buy it if the authenticity check and condition check out. Let's face it, I could make some cash flipping this thing, but there is NO WAY I will risk getting burned and buy it without verification. I know AD's in the Bay Area, but can someone suggest an AD in Sacramento for this type of thing?

TREADING VERY CAREFULLY.
dr_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2008, 03:06 AM   #11
DSJ
"TRF" Member

It gets better, every time I ask him questions, he only replies that there is someone who is sending him a check on Monday the 21st, but if I sent one first, he'll send me the watch. He also said he posted the listing on Craigslist before he knew he was leaving town. I used his name from his email address and looked him up (using some of my "sources") - no one in Chicago by that name. I looked him up in Sacramento, and found two people by that name with different birthdates. I'm gonna call their numbers tonight to see if I can track him down.
Old 19 January 2008, 04:46 AM   #12
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Scam don't waste any more time.