The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 November 2017, 02:03 PM   #1
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Polowatch - caution

Feedback regarding Member, Polowatch. I am currently involved in a transaction with him. I sent payment for this SD4K that was listed for sale on this site.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571006

I vetted him to the best of my abilities. Asked for numerous photos of the watch set to different times and dates, etc. I spoke with him on the phone and sent numerous texts and emails. I sent a wire transfer to him for the agreed upon amount of the sale on Monday (11/27) and he assured me I would have the watch in my possession on or before Thursday (11/30). While it is not yet Thursday, I have not received any tracking information. "Bob" told me he would provide tracking information once the watch was shipped. I am a bit concerned that I may have been scammed. I have not been able to make contact with the seller this evening.

I will update this thread when more information is available. I only am posting this as a caution, as this member has listed another watch for sale in the classifieds.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=572463
SADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 05:13 PM   #2
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

Here is all the information I have for this member. At this point, I do believe that I have been scammed.

Email: watchpologuy@gmail.com

Banking information:

Bank BB&T
Account number 4390001642461
Routing 031309123
Bank address 345 Laurel mall dr west hazleton pa ,18202
Account name Bobbijo Wills
Beneficiary address: 18 CAPE SHORES CAPE CANAVERAL, FL 32920

Phone number: (321) 355-7129

Alias: Bob Benya Bobbijo Wills
Old 30 November 2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Ok, I've banned that account for the time being to be on the safe side at least. Please keep us up to date with developments, and good luck.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 05:39 PM   #4
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

I am in contact with the member and he has agreed to refund me my money. This is to happen tomorrow. I will update the thread accordingly when appropriate.
Old 30 November 2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SADDLE View Post
I am in contact with the member and he has agreed to refund me my money. This is to happen tomorrow. I will update the thread accordingly when appropriate.
Can you give a bit more detail? Like why he isn't sending the watch?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB16610lv
I believe you lost your money, why a refund? Not the watch?

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk
Ouro9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 07:58 PM   #7
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
If you were the seller and you're legit . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouro9999 View Post
I believe you lost your money, why a refund? Not the watch?
. . . would you still want to do business with this buyer?
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 09:50 PM   #8
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
. . . would you still want to do business with this buyer?
Considering the seller didn't meet his end of the deal, I don't see why the buyer is the problem here. The buyer has every right to have timely updates and communications especially when the seller strays from the agreed upon timeline. Sure, stuff happens but in this day and age of instant comms, there's no reason not to update the buyer. Maybe the potential of loss of $9K+ doesn't bother you, but it would bother most people.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 12:23 AM   #9
eelpie
"TRF" Member

With all due respect . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
Considering the seller didn't meet his end of the deal, I don't see why the buyer is the problem here. The buyer has every right to have timely updates and communications especially when the seller strays from the agreed upon timeline. Sure, stuff happens but in this day and age of instant comms, there's no reason not to update the buyer. Maybe the potential of loss of $9K+ doesn't bother you, but it would bother most people.
. . . all we've heard here is from the buyer.

The seller hasn't said one word here, and yet he's been judged guilty to one degree or another.

Taking the buyer's word as gospel without allowing the accused a hearing is hardly convincing.

As a seller who has been pilloried by a potential buyer who didn't understand what a jerk he was, I have to wonder how terrible a scammer the seller is to agree to return the money in lieu of consummating the deal.

Unless my reading comprehension has failed me, the buyer was here well in advance of the delivery deadline, worrying if he had been scammed. Things happen, and perhaps the seller wasn't as worried about his own end of the deal as the buyer was.

If the buyer has interepreted slow communication or sloppy attention to detail for dishonesty, the seller may not be the villain he's been made out to be.

Maybe this is a scam, but I've never hear of a bad guy refunding $9k to make deal right. Let's see if the seller refunds or runs.
Old 1 December 2017, 12:42 AM   #10
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
. . .Let's see if the seller refunds or runs.
Yeah, let's see...

Unfortunately many scammers will use whatever stall tactics they can to ensure a clean getaway.

Lack communication following wire transfer is always cause for concern. Let's hope it's a simple misunderstanding.

Call me cynical, but like most here I'm skeptical.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 01:53 AM   #11
erhein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
. . . I've never hear of a bad guy refunding $9k to make deal right.
Yes, people do have a tendency to reach at least a preliminary conclusion after hearing only one side of a story. That's sort of what you've done by deciding that because the seller "offered" to return the buyer's money, the seller is actually going to do so. Sorry, but the buyer is right to be concerned when the seller goes silent all of a sudden, especially after there's been good communication before the money was sent. Maybe there's an acceptable reason for it, maybe not.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 02:49 AM   #12
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

When I submitted payment on Monday the seller informed me that he would be shipping out the watch and I should expect to receive it on or before Thursday (today). On Tuesday I asked if the watch had been shipped, he said no not yet but he would still ship via FedEx for first delivery on Thursday. I followed-up on Wednesday and he said he had not shipped the watch but would do so before FedEx closed. I contacted him late last night (Wednesday) and he did not respond for quite some time. I then made this initial post. I received a text message late in the evening stating he did not ship the watch and he requested that I remove this post because he was concerned that I would affect his future business on this site. He then offered to ship me the watch or issue a refund. I elected to accept a refund because I am uncomfortable now with how things have transpired. I followed up with him this morning and we spoke on the phone and he again assured me he would be sending me back my money today. I have not yet received a refund. I will update late today if and when more information is available.

I have contacted his bank and my bank and notified them of what I believe to be potential fraudulent activity. Unfortunately neither institution can do anything at this time. If I do not receive a refund today I will be contacting my local authorities and a contact I have with the FBI to file a report.
Old 1 December 2017, 03:09 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
When I submitted payment on Monday the seller informed me that he would be shipping out the watch and I should expect to receive it on or before Thursday (today). On Tuesday I asked if the watch had been shipped, he said no not yet but he would still ship via FedEx for first delivery on Thursday. I followed-up on Wednesday and he said he had not shipped the watch but would do so before FedEx closed. I contacted him late last night (Wednesday) and he did not respond for quite some time. I then made this initial post. I received a text message late in the evening stating he did not ship the watch and he requested that I remove this post because he was concerned that I would affect his future business on this site. He then offered to ship me the watch or issue a refund. I elected to accept a refund because I am uncomfortable now with how things have transpired. I followed up with him this morning and we spoke on the phone and he again assured me he would be sending me back my money today. I have not yet received a refund. I will update late today if and when more information is available.

I have contacted his bank and my bank and notified them of what I believe to be potential fraudulent activity. Unfortunately neither institution can do anything at this time. If I do not receive a refund today I will be contacting my local authorities and a contact I have with the FBI to file a report.
Seems to me seller is more concerned about bad publicity than refunding your money or keeping to his contract as a seller.
I hope it turns out OK.
Keep us updated
a
Old 1 December 2017, 03:59 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
sounds like it could be a 3 or 4 way deal gone bad and the seller is trying to hold the deal together but already sent your funds to fund another purchase.

always ask a seller if they HAVE the watch in-hand because some sellers are not holding inventories and just trying to broker watches which require more time and convincing.

and ask buyers if your sale is dependent on another transaction or decision maker.

don't get involved with sticky deals.

good luck, OP.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 04:16 AM   #15
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

I had asked the seller to send me a picture of the watch set to a specific time and date and he did so promptly. That gave me confidence it was in his possession.
Old 1 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #16
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

I hope it all works out for you.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 04:23 AM   #17
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
sounds like it could be a 3 or 4 way deal gone bad and the seller is trying to hold the deal together but already sent your funds to fund another purchase.

always ask a seller if they HAVE the watch in-hand because some sellers are not holding inventories and just trying to broker watches which require more time and convincing.

and ask buyers if your sale is dependent on another transaction or decision maker.

don't get involved with sticky deals.

good luck, OP.

I think that's the best case scenario, but I'd still be very doubtful. I hate to be such a Debbie downer, and I'll be very happy to be proved wrong, but this has scam written all over it.

If the seller says he can't send today because a family member is sick in the hospital then you'll have your answer.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 04:39 AM   #18
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Once again, and with all due respect . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
Yes, people do have a tendency to reach at least a preliminary conclusion after hearing only one side of a story. That's sort of what you've done by deciding that because the seller "offered" to return the buyer's money, the seller is actually going to do so. Sorry, but the buyer is right to be concerned when the seller goes silent all of a sudden, especially after there's been good communication before the money was sent. Maybe there's an acceptable reason for it, maybe not.
. . . I haven't decided anything, and I object to having words put in my mouth. If you read more closely, anything I've proposed is because the seller's side, if there is one, has not been heard, and I am loathe to jump on a bandwagon without hearing all the evidence.

You, however, seem to have decided to condemn the seller who, again, has never been represented or heard here. That the seller's access to this page has been curtailed seems patently unfair.

Until something definitive has been determined about the status of the deal, all is supposition. It's a shame the seller has been denied the right to defend himself here, or to explain or apologize, if that's the case.

If a scam has been perpetrated, I am sorry for the victim. It is, after all, for the victims that I hunt and report scams and replicas.

If there has been a misunderstanding between the seller and the buyer, well, I wonder if the seller's reputation will survive even if no wrong-doing is discovered.
Old 1 December 2017, 04:53 AM   #19
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

If seller is "banned" he can not put in any defense?
Suppose that is the dilemma
Old 1 December 2017, 04:57 AM   #20
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

I would welcome a "defense" from this seller if it leads to me getting my money back or the watch I paid for. Mods, can you allow this to happen? Reactivate his account?
Old 1 December 2017, 04:59 AM   #21
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
If seller is "banned" he can not put in any defense?
Suppose that is the dilemma
Ever try to defend yourself, or to explain yourself, when you're locked out of the process?

It's damned difficult.
Old 1 December 2017, 05:00 AM   #22
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would welcome a "defense" from this seller if it leads to me getting my money back or the watch I paid for.
Understand.
I suspect if he is giving you the run a round by mail and phone, he is not going to enter much defence here.

Keep up the pressure. Best to you
Old 1 December 2017, 05:10 AM   #23
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Understand.
I suspect if he is giving you the run a round by mail and phone, he is not going to enter much defence here.

Keep up the pressure. Best to you
Does the seller even know about the existence of this thread?
Old 1 December 2017, 05:12 AM   #24
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes.
Old 1 December 2017, 05:13 AM   #25
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

I would ask the moderators to PLEASE reactivate the accused members account. In defense of him he should have the opportunity to explain this situation, that he created.
Old 1 December 2017, 05:17 AM   #26
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely.
Read post 12
He requested this thread to be removed, as it damaged his reputation

A
Old 1 December 2017, 05:25 AM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
I had asked the seller to send me a picture of the watch set to a specific time and date and he did so promptly. That gave me confidence it was in his possession.
If you can, post what images you have. The links to the item are closed.
Old 1 December 2017, 05:31 AM   #28
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

I asked him to set the time to 11:30 and date to 27. As you can see in the picture, he did so.

What's funny is there is a number in the background that I've been trying to reach and it comes up as a text mail subscriber. The number is 417-298-012X, any number I put in for the last digit all ends in the same unanswered call. Text mail is known for being used by scammers.

Shame on me.
Old 1 December 2017, 05:39 AM   #29
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I asked him to set the time to 11:30 and date to 27. As you can see in the picture, he did so.

What's funny is there is a number in the background that I've been trying to reach and it comes up as a text mail subscriber. The number is 417-298-012X, any number I put in for the last digit all ends in the same unanswered call.
Is the number in the background in the seller's area code?
Old 1 December 2017, 05:42 AM   #30
Chewbacca
Banned

Interesting.

Any sd4k experts here?