The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 3 March 2018, 03:26 AM   #1
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What stops a seller from?

My mind is spinning today with the thought of making a purchase from a seller with little feedback on the forum but positive feedback elsewhere.

What stops anyone from buying 1/2 real watches, taking pictures, asking for them to set the time, showing receipts, showing boxes, showing warranty cards etc BUT actually buying a few knock offs and send that?

I know the old adage buy the seller not the watch. And the simple answer here is nothing is stopping them, but for me its proving difficult to purchase a watch from a seller online trusted or not. I don't even like dealing with the diamond district. God only knows what story said watch has, but at least you leave the store with something, not hoping they send you a watch nonetheless the one you think you purchased. Am I crazy?
Old 3 March 2018, 03:33 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
My mind is spinning today with the thought of making a purchase from a seller with little feedback on the forum but positive feedback elsewhere.

What stops anyone from buying 1/2 real watches, taking pictures, asking for them to set the time, showing receipts, showing boxes, showing warranty cards etc BUT actually buying a few knock offs and send that?

I know the old adage buy the seller not the watch. And the simple answer here is nothing is stopping them, but for me its proving difficult to purchase a watch from a seller online trusted or not. I don't even like dealing with the diamond district. God only knows what story said watch has, but at least you leave the store with something, not hoping they send you a watch nonetheless the one you think you purchased. Am I crazy?
usually integrity helps.

but in reality, nothing stops a scammer these days. and it also goes both ways because buyer fraud can happen the same way.

good sellers always charge more because a reputation is priceless, and for smart buyers, its money well spent until reputations are built.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 03:50 AM   #3
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
There is no stopping the scams
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would only buy from TRF trusted sellers with excellent reputations. Fortunately, there are a couple in my area. I trust them absolutely.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 04:56 AM   #5
tng11
"TRF" Member

So far I have bought all my Rolexes save for one from an AD. The counterfeits these days are simply so good that I cannot be too sure.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 05:01 AM   #6
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would say, for your own good, you should buy from established storefronts and pay the premium... buying on a forum or even online isn't for everyone and that's perfectly fine... that's why and how these storefronts stay in business...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 05:46 AM   #7
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
If you’re truly buying the seller then you must be sure their integrity is stronger than their greed. Fortunately there are many great people out there. Just gotta be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 March 2018, 07:26 AM   #8
Ballzzz

Always a tad safer to go with PayPal correct? There is some level of a third party involved and “protection”. Or is this just perception?
Old 3 March 2018, 07:58 AM   #9
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I personally would never risk Rolex money to an unknown seller. I have made one high end watch purchase here, with a reputable seller with many positive sales and feedback. If the price is too good to be true, there is a reason for it. Trust your intuition, do your homework and play it safe. Good luck.
Old 3 March 2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Always a tad safer to go with PayPal correct? There is some level of a third party involved and “protection”. Or is this just perception?
Only for a product purchase tied to a PP transaction or as noted as being a payment for goods with tracking uploaded to PP.

If the seller just makes a payment, or gift request or money transfer request from a buyer, there's no protection.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:34 AM   #11
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Only for a product purchase tied to a PP transaction or as noted as being a payment for goods with tracking uploaded to PP.

If the seller just makes a payment, or gift request or money transfer request from a buyer, there's no protection.
Great to know, thanks.