The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 March 2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

Icon5 How not to be scammed selling on ebay?

Considering listing a Rolex on ebay, but have a persistent worry about the "empty box scam". That's when everything goes smooth and the buyer gets the watch, then claims its condition is not as described and proceeds to return a box containing dog poo or whatever then gives the tracking number to ebay and they reverse the payment and there is nothing I can do.

I thought about listing it using "make an offer" option, which gives me a 48 hours chance to examine each person who makes an offer and read their feedback before deciding to accept. But this means if I do not receive good offers via the "make an offer" button I'm stuck with whomever clicks the buy it now (fixed price) or snipes the auction at last minute (auction option). I could use the auction option and end the auction early if I do not receive offers from reliable accounts to protect myself, but I imagine that it would sure cause ebay to take action against my account thinking I am selling it out of ebay to deny them the commission.

Is there a fool proof way to protect myself? If I film the process of packaging the watch and sending it in an uninterrupted one shot video, would this be accepted by ebay as a proof? Is there a mailing service where a neutral employee examines the contents and signs on it?

Any advice is appreciated.
Submariner SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 11:31 PM   #2
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I've purchased things on ebay, but never sold any. Not really worth the risks you've mentioned for an expensive item.

Why not try to sell it here on the forum classifieds?
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 11:41 PM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I would never ever sell an expensive watch on eBay. It’s just too risky. Selling on the forum is a good option but it will help to work on your post count and reputation. How about selling directly to a dealer? You won’t get as much but it’s way less worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2018, 12:16 AM   #4
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim View Post
I've purchased things on eBay, but never sold any. Not really worth the risks you've mentioned for an expensive item.
Agreed.

My worst fear is sending off a valuable or vintage watch, only to have the buyer scavenge it for parts, or to test out his amateur watch-repair abilities on it, only to return the resultant mess in a baggie with a complaint that it wasn't as described.

eBay's policy is heavily weighted in favour of the buyer, so if the condition of your item isn't extremely well documented, they'll certain side with the buyer.
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 12:55 AM   #5
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
Agreed.

My worst fear is sending off a valuable or vintage watch, only to have the buyer scavenge it for parts, or to test out his amateur watch-repair abilities on it, only to return the resultant mess in a baggie with a complaint that it wasn't as described.

eBay's policy is heavily weighted in favour of the buyer, so if the condition of your item isn't extremely well documented, they'll certain side with the buyer.
Exactly my worst fear! Been reading tragic stories about similar things, and ebay ends up siding with the buyer as long as they have a tracking number of the return that said "delivered". I was hoping maybe some highly experienced ebay sellers here have a trick or two down their sleeves.
Old 9 March 2018, 12:57 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve made many Rolex sales on eBay but wouldn’t suggest it for a newbie to eBay. A couple of scams were tried. But I did use restricted language to pre-approve bidders and limit the auctions to Domestic only buyers. Then there’s the fees including PayPal that can amount to 10%.

But my best advice is to become a Pledge Member here and try listing it in the TRF classifieds - do some good research and set a price that is fair considering its condition and completeness. But only sell to trusted members to avoid any scammers who even lurk here.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 01:00 AM   #7
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Selling on the forum is a good option but it will help to work on your post count and reputation.
Wouldn't work since I don't meet the criteria. I don't have much of use to post and would feel silly posting nonsense just to raise the count

Quote:
How about selling directly to a dealer? You won’t get as much but it’s way less worrisome.
That's a good option, yet a dealer would probably hit me hard since he has to make a profit. If the loss would be the same as ebay's final value fee and paypal commission, maybe it would be worth it.

Last edited by Submariner SS; 9 March 2018 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Removed details not to invite offers.
Old 9 March 2018, 01:01 AM   #8
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’ve made many Rolex sales on eBay but wouldn’t suggest it for a newbie to eBay. A couple of scams were tried. But I did use restricted language to pre-approve bidders and limit the auctions to Domestic only buyers. Then there’s the fees including PayPal that can amount to 10%.

But my best advice is to become a Pledge Member here and try listing it in the TRF classifieds - do some good research and set a price that is fair considering its condition and completeness. But only sell to trusted members to avoid any scammers who even lurk here.

I think you are closer to 15% with ebay.
Old 9 March 2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But I did use restricted language to pre-approve bidders
How do you pre-approve bidders? Is it a private auction that only you can give access to? I would be thankful if you provide a quick guide.
Old 9 March 2018, 01:04 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would sell on this forum instead of eBay. You could sell to a Trusted Seller, and you might get a few hundred less but will be certain the deal will go through.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 01:11 AM   #11
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner SS View Post
How do you pre-approve bidders? Is it a private auction that only you can give access to? I would be thankful if you provide a quick guide.

I hope you take this in the spirit of communication that it’s given:

You must know the rules at eBay before selling and the info I shared is posted there. You can cancel any bid you suspect.

There are no shortcuts by getting tidbits here and there.

Also, you said you didn’t qualify to sell on TRF? I can’t find anything restricting you except Pledge membership...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=9423

I really don’t suggest you sell on eBay for the risks and costs. Your Expl. II Polar could fetch more here than after the fees at eBay.

Old 9 March 2018, 01:13 AM   #12
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim
I think you are closer to 15% with ebay.

Depending upon auction format and options and final value fees and PayPal you could hit that number. But 10% is an average.

Old 9 March 2018, 01:21 AM   #13
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope you take this in the spirit of communication that it’s given:

You must know the rules at eBay before selling and the info I shared is posted there. You can cancel any bid you suspect.

There are no shortcuts by getting tidbits here and there.

Also, you said you didn’t qualify to sell on TRF? I can’t find anything restricting you except Pledge membership...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=9423

I really don’t suggest you sell on eBay for the risks and costs. Your Expl. II Polar could fetch more here than after the fees at eBay.
I mean low post count and zero references for previous sales etc.

Anyway I truly appreciate your advice and everyone else's. I will maul over my options but I certainly feel more informed now than when I started the thread.

Thanks all
Old 9 March 2018, 01:24 AM   #14
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Anyway I truly appreciate your advice and everyone else's. I will maul over my options but I certainly feel more informed now than when I started the thread.

Thanks all
Every seller here had to start somewhere and had zero references at that time. If you make the effort with your potential buyer to have an open, honest transaction with good communication, you can probably sell it here with not too much trouble.
Old 9 March 2018, 01:25 AM   #15
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Besides, no one here will charge you a commission.
Old 9 March 2018, 01:27 AM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Anyway I truly appreciate your advice and everyone else's. I will maul over my options but I certainly feel more informed now than when started the thread.

Thanks all

Ok understand better now.

BTW, I saw a listing yesterday by a seller who just joined in January, had the minimum post count and zero references here. So there’s no rule - but I agree you may have to wait for a good buyer who will work with you locally. Like a Face to Face deal.

We all had to start somewhere and hope yours works out. By the way, you can also search the Want To Buy posts to see if anyone trustworthy is seeking what you have...

Good luck with the sale however you accomplish it.

Old 9 March 2018, 02:15 AM   #17
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

You can try selling to a Trusted Seller on here or maybe even sell it yourself to maximize gains
Old 9 March 2018, 02:28 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
You can try selling to a Trusted Seller on here or maybe even sell it yourself to maximize gains
yes.

and/or buy a pledge to support the forum, and save hundreds on ebay and PP fees.

simply maybe start a thread asking for advice on how to prepare an effective TRF ad and price the item fairly. we can help you to pre-screen buyers and on what to look out for.

many people say there's less seller risk here than on ebay, and i tend to agree.

you can do this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote