The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 August 2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Local 7206 bracelet with a story

Not nearly as exciting as some of the amazing drawer finds and inheritances that people post, but I virtually never find anything locally, and this was a fun find with an interesting back-story so I thought I'd contribute.

This came from a gentleman who, back in 1969, was annoyed that this 7206 bracelet (installed on a 1675) kept popping open on his wrist when he was getting in and out of helicopters during his tour in Vietnam. So he replaced it with a flip-lock bracelet, but kept the 7206 (and even the spare link). The sad part of the story is that the watch was stolen off of his wrist recently after owning it for more than 50 years. A mutual friend connected us and I helped him find a replacement (he actually chose a modern Explorer II instead of a GMT-Master). When he told me the story, I offered to buy the 7206, and he agreed.

I'm not sure how it came to be broken. He originally told me that it popped open at an inopportune time and got ripped off his wrist, which is actually consistent with the condition. But the second time I talked to him about it, he didn't recall that detail, so I'm not sure. In any case, it's totally complete with 13 links and just needs a bit of TLC.

Old 29 August 2020, 09:42 AM   #2
PVR
"TRF" Member

Is that an S or 6 opposite to the 80 on the end link? Never seen anything like that. If you decide to sell it PM me, looks honest though..
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
Is that an S or 6 opposite to the 80 on the end link? Never seen anything like that. If you decide to sell it PM me, looks honest though..
Looks like an "S" to me. I can't say I've really paid much attention but I can't recall seeing it either.

I'm still on the fence about what to do with it, I've been collecting some bracelets recently. I've sent it to Rolliworks in the meantime. One link needs repair, and it needs re-assembly with pins. If I sell it, I'll contact you first.
Old 29 August 2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

That's funny, you can adjust those clasps so tight it requires tools to get it off. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
That's funny, you can adjust those clasps so tight it requires tools to get it off. :)
That's true, all you really need to do is bend the blade a bit. Of course, the irony is that if he had kept the bracelet on the watch, it would have been stolen with the watch.
Old 29 August 2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

True and you would have missed a nice nearly new bracelet. There are still deals out there. I was stumbling around on ebay one night and saw a newly listed oval link jubillee for 200 bucks. It even had all 22 links! It was listed by a pawn shop and sometimes they aren't up on the latest prices. Post pics of the 7206 when it's found a home!

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 08:15 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Both awesome snags. Well done, gents.

Dan, that spare link appears to be a non-rivet type. Will it fit the bracelet? I'd imagine you'll need the rivet type if you want it to look right.

#carverforpresident
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 10:08 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You may be right, good eye. I was assuming it was just missing the outer pieces and rivets, but maybe it's the wrong link. I didn't look closely since I wasn't planning to use it anyway; 13 links would be too long for me. I was going to have Rolliworks put 7 links on the 12 o'clock side and 5 links on the 6 o'clock side and leave that link off.
Old 29 August 2020, 10:53 PM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
You may be right, good eye. I was assuming it was just missing the outer pieces and rivets, but maybe it's the wrong link. I didn't look closely since I wasn't planning to use it anyway; 13 links would be too long for me. I was going to have Rolliworks put 7 links on the 12 o'clock side and 5 links on the 6 o'clock side and leave that link off.
Awesome. What are you going to wear it on? Pics please!

I have the 7205 with 57 end links. It's 19 mm and perfect for those old Tudors.
Old 29 August 2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Awesome. What are you going to wear it on? Pics please!

I have the 7205 with 57 end links. It's 19 mm and perfect for those old Tudors.
I'm leaning towards putting it on my 1675, which is currently on a 78360, but I also just picked up a meters-first 5513, which is on a stretched-out C&I, so I will probably try it on both.

Old 29 August 2020, 11:23 PM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Sublime. Those non-gilt MF 5513s are quite a thing.