The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 20 September 2009, 05:50 PM   #1
derekloimer

Rolex Explorer 1 Z Series 2009 Review

Introduction

The review is of a Rolex Explorer 1 Z Series Model Reference 11470. The watch was purchased new in January 2009 and bought from a TRF member using EBay. The reviewer can recommend purchasing a Rolex in this manner as it was an excellent experience.

The Rolex Explorer 1 is a COSC certified watch using the calibre 3000 without date. The list price of this watch is approximately $6 000 (AUD).

History

Rolex supplied watches to the 1953 Everest expedition led by John Hunt in which Tenzing and Hilary made the first successful summit. Although Rolex advertising implies that this watch was carried to the summit it is likely that only Tenzing actually wore a Rolex on the summit and that his watch was a much earlier model. A nice story is that Hilary left his Rolex at Base Camp as he didn’t want to damage it. Despite this Rolex added the designation “Explorer” to a number of models, one of which was the 1016.

The 1016 remained in production for over a decade where it was eventually replaced by the 11470.

The Explorer 1 is a direct descendant of watches that have been worn for historic events for over 50 years and this adds to the appeal of the watch. The design of the watch has not markedly changed over this period and this also gives it a classic look. The size of the watch, however, also shows its age as the Case measures 36mm, which would have been standard in the 1950s, but is on the smaller size for a modern mans watch.

Packaging

The watch came with the following

Rolex watch box (2009 version)
Guarantee Leaflet and COSC accreditation
Swing tag
COSC Seal
Rolex Booklets

The watch box is wooden in Rolex Green. It does an acceptable job of storing the watch and the Guarantee leaflet.

Case

The Rolex Explorer 1 is a mid size watch 36mm case. The case uses the 904L Stainless Steel and is highly polished. The Sapphire crystal rises about 1 mm from the case giving it a distinctive appearance. The case is of very high quality in appearance and tactile feeling.

Dial

The dial of the Explorer 1 is black enamel with white gold filled Arabic numerals at 3,6 and 9. The watch has white gold Mercedes hands. The writing on the watch and the minute track are also in white.

The Explorer 1 dial is the highlight of the watch with a classic design that will not date. The black enamel dial has a wonderful finish.

Bracelet

The Explorer 1 has a Oyster bracelet with a pivot clasp. The bracelet feels very comfortable to wear.
Movement
The movement is a Rolex Calibre 3000. The reviewer cannot comment on the quality of the movement as he does not have the technical expertise to do so. There have been unfavourable reviews in the past of the movement quality (Timezone) and Nicholas Hacko (clockmaker.com.au) has posted that the watch has maintenance issues with the “auto rotor post and jewel prone to wear”.

It should be noted that these issues are not exclusive to Rolex as the reviewer had an Oris watch with similar problems and the repair cost less than $200 AUD.

Value for Money

At the list price there are many alternatives to the Explorer 1 that will provide more watch for the money. The Explorer 1 is a small watch without even a date function.

However the high quality look and feel of the watch and the classic design mean that the watch will look contemporary in 20 years time.

Summary

The Rolex Explorer 1 is a beautiful watch with a classic look that will not date. The watch looks equally good under a suit and with jeans.

The mid size of the watch, moderate weight and comfortable bracelet means that this watch can be worn all day at work without feeling uncomfortable. The Rolex is perfect for the medium to smaller wrist, and could be easily worn by a woman.

The Explorer 1 does not immediately look like a Rolex to the casual person which can be an advantage if trying to be discreet. The disadvantage is that it does not have the wrist presence of a Submariner or a large Day Date.

In summary the reviewer can highly recommend the Rolex Explorer 1. This is a beautiful watch, and while expensive, is a long term investment which can be enjoyed for a lifetime.
derekloimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 01:19 PM   #2
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Hi Derek,

congratulations on a nice comprehensive review....... The Explorer is also one of the "tougher" models in the Rolex line. how about some pictures????
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 04:35 AM   #3
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review, I love my Explorer 1 also.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Jolu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I/II
Good choice and nice review, Derek.

Just a comment on the movement; the cal. 3000 was retired around 2000 along with the ref. 14270 (which is the watch that got a thumbsdown in Odets review on TZ). Yours would have the cal. 3130.

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone -
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Jeepwatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Nice review, thanks.

Thinking of one of these for my next purchase.

I like the stealthy look of the Explorer. Not your typical "in your face" Rolex.
Jeepwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Rob587
Banned

Watch: Rolex Air King
Good Review! Thanks!
Rob587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great review. Very detailed and thoughtful.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2011, 12:27 AM   #8
walkerwek1958

I love mine. No so 'in yer face' as other Rolex models so I feel comfortable wearing it in all locations.

Paul
walkerwek1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2011, 07:43 AM   #9
victorious.legion
"TRF" Member

love the explorer 1...
victorious.legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2015, 07:01 PM   #10
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
I'm looking for one, nice review