The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2023, 07:26 PM   #31
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I hope all works out.

Seems to be a great deal of posts lately whom are joining and posting about a stolen watch straight away.

I wish I had that knowledge, I hide my watch most days after a few reds and think, yeah this time it has been stolen until the next day.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 08:14 PM   #32
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Glad that you were not hurt. I hope the thieves get what they deserve.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 08:17 PM   #33
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Most unfortunate. Sorry to hear this.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 08:21 PM   #34
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

It may be worth checking your home insurance policy… in Sweden, like in the UK, yoir possessions are covered up to a certain value… (10k usd for my policy) may be better than nothing.
Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 09:05 PM   #35
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
That is terrible! Scary as well ! Glad you weren’t hurt, hoping for a good outcome for you. I know it doesn’t help now but, Insurance is definitely recommended when owning these watches. You never know.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 09:08 PM   #36
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
That sucks, glad you were smart enough to just give it up. The watch can always be replaced. Unfortunately that one is never coming back.
Old 19 October 2023, 09:25 PM   #37
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
This sucks! Sorry that happened OP!

I noticed in the video that there’s a guy on the bench. Doesn’t even turn around or look up from his phone during this whole situation. Unless they robbed you in silence that would be first suspect .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 09:56 PM   #38
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Has it been your practice to wear a very expensive watch with a short sleeve shirt to a night club? If you are a regular, I'd say that one of the employees set you up. Or another regular that has seen you. You can kiss your watch goodby. Sorry
Sorry to hear about this, but glad you are ok. This was clearly a targeted setup from someone who was a club patron, or an employee - as they came straight to you and no one else. If it were me, I'd be checking with the police to see if this has happened at this club before (I'm betting it has) - and I'd talk to the club mgmt to alert them to this possibility. I doubt they want this to be an issue that gets around to other patrons.

I've always been extra careful in certain situations and locales - even more so now with this happening more frequently. Wife and I just don;t go to places where the risk is higher (whether it's risk of our watches, her other jewelry, or our vehicles). I will often go with her at times where it's borderline. Luckily, I live in a state where I have options for personal protection (best option though, is to avoid it if possible).

These incidents are the reason I just updated our jewelry insurance (updated appraisals) - a bit expensive, but great peace of mind. You don;t think it will ever happen to you - until it does. Just glad you were not physically harmed.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:10 PM   #39
77T

Robbed for my Day-Date 228238

That had to be an awful incident for you and glad you weren’t harmed worse than what you described. It could have been tragic. A couple of answers from my experience are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafis e View Post
Does anyone have any success stories of getting their watch back?
Yes, having lost 4 Rolexes as a result of a home break-in, I’ve recovered two. One soon after the incident, one years later.

The first one (my late wife’s OP) was local police and Rolex USA + some incredible luck.

Rolex UK and Rolex USA + some great contacts here helped on the second one (my Platona) which took 4+ years to be seized by an RSC. For me, TRF was a key resource on that one. Besides the support of this incredible community, my thread opened doors to validate my international claim.

Quote:
I've been scouring craigslist/ebay/chrono occasionally to see if I ever see my model pop up - is this a pointless search in your opinion?
Hard to say. At one point I was sure I had found my Platona on eBay at a 47th St. seller. Seller would not cooperate and I couldn’t get NYPD to engage fast enough. No blame on their part - the red tape complicates the recovery when a watch crosses jurisdictions.
Locally, I scoured the Pawn Shops in my County and was asked to stop those efforts by local police (they were right to do that for many reasons - in my panicked efforts in the weeks afterward, I was overreacting).

But I do keep a saved search running on eBay for one vintage 1803 since it was so unique. Thus far, no luck.

Quote:
Serial number H1360577
Posting the serial number H1360577 and keeping this thread alive helps a lot.
Good luck in your quest and I hope for your success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:15 PM   #40
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
So sorry about this OP
forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:25 PM   #41
ACE 94
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyEagles View Post
White racist comments are not welcome here. Keep those opinions to yourself.

Oh here we go..

ACE 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:26 PM   #42
77T

Quote:
I thought there might be a chance that they sold it to a shady dealer/pawn shop and that it'll trade hands a few times before someone unknowingly purchases a stolen watch. Happens all the time - I'm not holding my breath but hopeful that one day it might turn up!

I hadn’t seen this update when I replied earlier. I agree with staying hopeful.

Most of these jackwagons are dumb - any LEO will tell you that. That works in your favor. Not your brilliant international jewel thieves seen in blockbuster movies.

Once my thieves were apprehended, they admitted to selling the Platona one day after the burglary for a few thousand + their favorite drugs. Maybe netted $9-10K. It went through several hands “underground” and then landed in the NY area.

So there is a chance it has moved into the “network” already. Since you have the box and collateral at home, they must move it as watch only.

Ultimately some shady dealer might add a box + a bogus warranty card.

Stay strong…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:39 PM   #43
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Glad you were not harmed.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:49 PM   #44
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=nafis e;12988728]Link to the video: https://imgur.com/a/HfyZRM2

Holy crap. Out in the open in front of a ton of people -- and nobody seemed to notice or care. WTH.

Sorry about your dangerous encounter and loss. Glad you are OK.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:52 PM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Strange reply

Sorry to hear OP. You did the right thing though, a watch is not worth losing your life over.

Actually, not in this day and age. Going outside a nightclub at night to smoke a joint or for whatever reason resulting in someone loitering on the street at night in a big city is not the best example of "being aware of your surroundings" and "using common sense" phrases so often posted here.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:55 PM   #46
sinbad
"TRF" Member

It's a huge relief that you are okay.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:21 PM   #47
youneswatches
Banned

Watch: 124060
Awful experience glad you are okay and the thieves get caught.
youneswatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:30 PM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
First, welcome to the forum. I truly wish it were under different circumstances.

Second, I’m so glad to see that you weren’t physically harmed. I’ve never been held up at gunpoint, but I have to say (for me) that would be a very traumatic event and I’d probably seek counseling (obviously everyone’s mileage may vary).

Third, I would hold out hope that one day you might recover it. Chances are slim, but nevertheless it will need a service at some point and hopefully since you reported it, RSC will sound the alarm bells.

All the very best of luck.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:45 PM   #49
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
First, I am glad that YOU are ok and able to go back home to your family and dog.

Second, I am glad that YOU are here - this forum is filled with more knowledge and resources than you can imagine.

Third, I sincerely hope that you get your watch back. I abhor thieves. I was robbed of some fairly serious collectibles a few years ago (2015) and it STILL hurts to talk about it - I find myself angry about it even now.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:05 AM   #50
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, scary stuff. I hope you eventually get it back. You never know, and it seems like you're doing the right things.

Good luck!
Old 20 October 2023, 12:17 AM   #51
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing, very sorry to hear and glad you are OK

I'm in LA as well and reinforces to me why I really only wear my watches out anymore IF I can wear long-sleeves to cover my wrists sadly..

Insane that this has to be the case these days but I know not good to turn political...
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:58 AM   #52
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
They are not selling your watch thru proper legit channels. Think about it. Why would they sell it to a reseller or whatever, knowing that they can track the serial #? They are either keeping it, or selling it underground or some back alley. You are not seeing your watch ever again, I'm afraid.
I've read that stolen watches are often transported to different areas of the world for sale, making tracking and prosecuting the criminals very difficult. Sadly, your watch is probably on the way to Eastern Europe or another faraway market for sale.
Spartyfan6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:03 AM   #53
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Link to the video: https://imgur.com/a/HfyZRM2

And my baby that was taken from me too soon: https://imgur.com/a/kngKKVA
Wow, glad you are ok and glad you handled it so well. Hope you somehow get it back and hope somone ran over these two scum on their way back to the car.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:03 AM   #54
Lambo The Jambo
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear this and just glad you are ok. You did the right thing.
Lambo The Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:04 AM   #55
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Glad you are ok. Smart move just to hand it to them. You will get it back probably not right the way.
Old 20 October 2023, 01:22 AM   #56
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

Never thought this would happen to me. I was robbed at gunpoint for my Day-Date (228238 Silver romans) at a nightclub that I go to practically every weekend (West Hollywood area on Sunset in LA). I was only inside of the nightclub for about 5 minutes- I stepped outside to meet my best friends that were smoking a joint on the sidewalk and instantly these two masked low lives turned the corner and got me. They both put guns on my stomach and I didn't fight I just yelled "take it" and was trying to help them pull the clasp. It was a clear and obvious set-up and I'm sure someone had been watching me for some time, because the moment I stepped foot out of the club they came out of their car with masks on (what I saw from a different CCTV clip).

Does anyone have any success stories of getting their watch back? My friend's dad is the GM of the Rolex in Chicago and he sent me a stolen report form and I was able to send it to Rolex so fingers crossed if it ever pops up I'll get it back! I also registered the watch on thewatchregister. A police report was filed on the spot, as well.

I've been scouring craigslist/ebay/chrono occasionally to see if I ever see my model pop up - is this a pointless search in your opinion? I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations in terms of increasing the odds of finding it.

Be careful out there guys!

I linked a post to the CCTV footage of the robbery as well as a photo of my watch but I don't have enough posts to add the links. I will update once I do.

Serial number H1360577
This is happening a lot in London too with spotters in clubs and bars communicating with theives on bikes and scooters which is why it probably happened so quick! Rough times at the moment
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:28 AM   #57
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Sorry to hear!
I used to live in LA and even in the late 90's criminals had more rights than real working people
Glad you are OK that is what is most important and I hope somehow you get it back someday.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:32 AM   #58
Cassian739

Wow, first and most importantly, I'm glad you are okay and could walk away from this, that's all that matters. Many people aren't as "lucky" these days.

All of us are adults and decide for ourselves what is safe and how much risk we are willing to take. For me, it's another sad reminder of why I'm wearing my Rolex watches less and less. Been wearing Omega, micro brands, and Apple Watch out in public, and still only certain places. In parts of major cities globally (e.g., LA, NY, Bay Area, London, etc.) people are getting robbed for Apple Watches.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:52 AM   #59
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
Definitely a setup and you were being watched, as the scumbags knew when you stepped out. One has to be very diligent nowadays in these large sh-thole cities. Hopefully you do get it back, but at least you are safe.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:56 AM   #60
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
So glad you were not hurt. I hope your watch turns up, and the thieves are caught. I know how you feel, as I had my Submariner stolen a few years back. I had to tell myself “it’s just stuff, and in the scheme of things, not that important.” I still miss that watch, though. Let’s hope for a better outcome, for you. I hope you have another watch you love, to wear….

Kat
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote